• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

KraytarJ

There are a few puzzles in it that would be 100 times better if they didn't require like 3 screen transitions and 5 text boxes to essentially say "i want to press that button"
That's pretty much the gist. The puzzles in 5 were completely ruined by a lack of streamlining, it's a problem throughout the game but it's extra egregious in 5.

Yeah. It's probably the best awakened one. It's just that all the awakened ones are worse than the original ones.

I like Ann's awakened Persona better (partially because the design and partially because Carmen the character in the story is an absolute scumbag). I also like Futaba's which is know is a unpopular opinion but eh. I'm neutral on Ryuji's, haven't seen Haru's yet, Makoto's would have been alright if not for the red face and skull emblem + horns thing. Yusuke's is garbo compared to his original.

Yeah. It's probably the best awakened one. It's just that all the awakened ones are worse than the original ones.
Except for Yusuke's.

Edit: the biggest problem with the second awakenings is that the party members' costumes match their base Persona. Their outfits should have changed too.

ramyeon

Ryuji is a beast late game. Putting out so much damage.

Also really like his awakened Persona now. I think it fits him just as well as Kidd did.

Guess Who

Banned
Watching old P5 trailers again, and something caught my eye:

k3tnSJS.jpg

Is this location anywhere in the final game?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
It'll have your feet tapping, but not as good as Rivers In The Desert or previous final boss themes.

I mean it's subjective but moments like the final phase of izanami were made super powerful by the use of this verse in the boss song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCziNVipvFI especially as it plays while everything is going terribly wrong right before the big finale.

Rivers in the desert was great as a song but it definitely didn't give me the same level of chills as that one part in genesis.

I don't even think the original Personas are all that. Captain Kidd looks goofy as hell. I haven't seen Haru's yet but it's hard to be worse than what she has now.
I like Ann's awakened Persona better (partially because the design and partially because Carmen the character in the story is an absolute scumbag). I also like Futaba's which is know is a unpopular opinion but eh. I'm neutral on Ryuji's, haven't seen Haru's yet, Makoto's would have been alright if not for the red face and skull emblem + horns thing. Yusuke's is garbo compared to his original.
Yusuke has the best awakened persona...

Except for Yusuke's.

Edit: the biggest problem with the second awakenings is that the party members' costumes match their base Persona. Their outfits should have changed too.

MC: Alright guys, time to go back into the palace!
*swirly metaverse entrance effect*
Ryuji: Great, now where did we--wait, Makoto, what happened to your clothes? They're all different!
Makoto: My clothes? What happened to my OH MY CLOTHES, uh... I must've awakened to my new, um, persona!
Ann: Oh neat! How'd you do that?
Makoto: *thinks about makeout sessions with MC* well um you see uhhhhhhhhhhh... *sweats*
Yusuke: Ah yes, I too have awakened to a new persona, and I think my new outfit is quite keen!
*Makoto stares daggers into unsuspecting Yusuke*

MC: Alright guys, time to go back into the palace!
*swirly metaverse entrance effect*
Ryuji: Great, now where did we--wait, Makoto, what happened to your clothes? They're all different!
Makoto: My clothes? What happened to my OH MY CLOTHES, uh... I must've awakened to my new, um, persona!
Ann: Oh neat! How'd you do that?
Makoto: *thinks about makeout sessions with MC* well um you see uhhhhhhhhhhh... *sweats*
Yusuke: Ah yes, I too have awakened to a new persona, and I think my new outfit is quite keen!
*Makoto stares daggers into unsuspecting Yusuke*
Perfect.
It's alright. Not the best and I don't think it fits him as well as Goemon does.
A pile of stiff garbage doesn't seem very fitting for an art prodigy.

I mean it's subjective but moments like the final phase of izanami were made super powerful by the use of this verse in the boss song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCziNVipvFI especially as it plays while everything is going terribly wrong right before the big finale.

Rivers in the desert was great as a song but it definitely didn't give me the same level of chills as that one part in genesis.

I liked songs here and there in Persona 5, but your post kinda sums it up - outside of a select few (being Rivers in the Desert, Life Will Change, Beneath The Mask, and Wake Up Get Up Get Out There), nothing really felt like it clicked like the music from past games.

I liked songs here and there in Persona 5, but your post kinda sums it up - nothing really felt like it clicked like the music from past games. (Rivers in the Desert, Life Will Change, and Wake Up Get Up Get Out There came extremely close though.)
I'd give a lot more credit than that. Dungeon 4 theme (I'll skip the name here), The Whims of Fate, Last Surprise, and Blooming Villain are really great.

Also some of the unimportant tunes like Layer Cake for the shop is really nice as well.

I'd give a lot more credit than that. Dungeon 4 theme (I'll skip the name here), The Whims of Fate, Last Surprise, and Blooming Villain are really great.

Also some of the unimportant tunes like Layer Cake for the shop is really nice as well.

Agreed, those are all good too - and overall the music is great. It's just that, as a whole, there just weren't enough high quality tracks to reach the highs of Persona 3 and Persona 4, in my opinion.

Finished palace two!

This woudl have been faster if I hadn't spent like three additional hours grinding levels/cash. But hey, i'm now sitting at lv 21ish, with a full set of near 20.above 20 fused personas. After hearing how tough the boss was I was somewhat let down, as he was something of a pushover really. Only had one death, due to a character getting near insta killed by a one more attack.

Onward and upward I suppose. Wish I had more time to play each day, but between kids and work, it's slow going. Sitting at about 26 hours played though.

Finished it today. 111 hours. Hell of a fucking ride: the ending was WAY better than I was expecting, considering how much it dragged its feet for a bit there.

I wanna jump straight into NG+, it's that good. Also: Mishima gets too much hate.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Persona 5's day to day music is for the most part fucking excellent, same with the dungeon tracks and last surprise is obviously phenomenal. Those are places where the sound track excels like crazy, almost every song used for just random background activities is great.

The problem is the OST could never quite deliver the same emotional punch for major moments that OSTs from past games did, but again that's purely from my taste.

Tested the confuse trick on Mementos bosses with a max luck demon.

~150k yen per drop, lmao.

Huh. That's actually not that much higher than what I was getting.

The thing about the confuse trick that's annoying is that the chance of you getting money from a confused demon isn't actually that high, and you only get two chances before you have to tank a hit and confuse again. None of that is dangerous in any way, but it does make it more tedious to get a decent amount of money, especially if the boss is being a little shit and giving you Rancid Gravy or nothing over and over. What I would give for a passive that increases the length of an ailment on enemies.

Unless increased luck also improves the chances of getting money?

Finished it today. 111 hours. Hell of a fucking ride: the ending was WAY better than I was expecting, considering how much it dragged its feet for a bit there.

I wanna jump straight into NG+, it's that good. Also: Mishima gets too much hate.
Once I stopped suspecting Mishima was going to end up being the final boss, I just felt bad for him. His development should have been tied to the plot, since a lot of his non-SL interactions are completely at odds with the development in his SLink - much more so than other characters.

Once I stopped suspecting Mishima was going to end up being the final boss, I just felt bad for him. His development should have been tied to the plot, since a lot of his non-SL interactions are completely at odds with the development in his SLink - much more so than other characters.

I kind of disagree, he's not really that complicated.
His Confidant storyline flirts with him being straight-up malicious in a none-too-open manner, that gets resolved,
life goes on. Mind you, I couldn't really dunk on him as much after that, but you don't have to! I think the problem here is that if you don't do his Confidant, or even just do only some of it, you're sort of like "ew, why's this creep the guy leading the cheers on 24/12?".

But then his benefits for maxing out the Confidant are incredible, so, you know, don't do that.

I kind of disagree, he's not really that complicated.
His Confidant storyline flirts with him being straight-up malicious in a none-too-open manner, that gets resolved,
life goes on. Mind you, I couldn't really dunk on him as much after that, but you don't have to! I think the problem here is that if you don't do his Confidant, or even just do only some of it, you're sort of like "ew, why's this creep the guy leading the cheers on 24/12?".

But then his benefits for maxing out the Confidant are incredible, so, you know, don't do that.
I'm only in November, so I mostly had the school trip in mind. I was already deep in his SLink at the time, so it just felt like a huge step backward for him.

Perineum

Beat the game last night at 103 hours. It didn't beat out P4 for me, and it probably isn't even in my top 20 RPGs of all time.

Every single time this game tries to achieve good pacing it bloats its dungeons, or cut scenes, or writing in talking in circles. There is seriously 30-50 hours of shit they could have cut and no one would care, and the game would have been even better for it.

Palace 5 should be half as long, Palace 6 should be a third shorter, Palace 7 should be half as long, and the stuff after for true ending could be cut in half as well. It does a poor job of letting the MC go like P4 did, and just keeps stringing it along.

Also,
Mona should have stayed dead. Pointless as shit to bring Mona back and would've made the character better realized and had an impact by being let go in the end. The final OST pieces are ass cheeks compared to older Persona games too. All the bosses after you clear inner momentos and the grail first time, then to climb to the new temple through the angel fights was so unecessary. All 3 damn bosses there did the same god damn thing if I recall and they were HP sponges. Hell the final boss on normal was a cake walk, but takes SO LONG just because of so much HP. Ugh.

Extremely unimpressed with a lot of the cast too. Haru as we all know should never have made the final cut, and her palace too.

The game as at its best in its first 4 palaces, especially 1 and 4 BECAUSE of the interaction from the Shadow boss there talking to you a lot. It made them more fleshed out and interesting.

I wanted to give this a 10 if it was on the level of P4, but in the end this game sits at 7.5/10 for me. Its saving grace is the BIG twist for the end.
I remember a few of us talking about Igors new VA being awful and weird, and for that to be the Holy Grail/God final boss in disguise is pure genius and super well done. I also really loved the MC pulling the trigger on the huge Persona to blow the face off the final boss. SUPER SICK.

They need to really refocus on Persona 6. Ill take a 50 hour well done polished product all day with a reason to replay, over 40-50 fun content and another 50-60 of bloated shit.

I feel like I can't judge Haru (and feel like most people shouldn't either) because god knows that Confidant storyline is a total nightmare to even get to Rank 2 in, let alone finish.

Beat the game last night at 103 hours. It didn't beat out P4 for me, and it probably isn't even in my top 20 RPGs of all time.

They need to really refocus on Persona 6. Ill take a 50 hour well done polished product all day with a reason to replay, over 40-50 fun content and another 50-60 of bloated shit.

I can completely understand this point of view.

I believe that Persona 6 needs to be a reimagining, like Persona 3 was after Persona 2.

People know the modern Persona formula now, it won't cut it anymore, and it's growing stale.

Except for Yusuke's.

Well, that was a thing with Persona 4 too. Many of the base Persona shared the same color patterns or motifs that the characters had but then the "evolved" stage had nothing to do with them at all lol

Except for Yosuke. Disco ninja frog was awesome.

Kyrios

I finished every Palace minus the first so far (Just beat 7) in one day on first playthrough. First Palace was definitely the toughest for me, which is par course for Persona/SMT.

Not me, I'm always a SP heavy waster lol NG+ lets me just hack everything to death earlier on.

I agree that the formula is basically done now. They've taken it to the logical conclusion and I'm not sure how they could possibly advance it further. This game basically felt like a victory lap for P3's structure, showing how much they can pile onto it and how effortlessly it lets them develop characters and locations as these memorable, familiar things you'll be sad to see go.

I loved more-or-less every minute of Persona 5, but I don't want to see myself fall out of love with it if Persona 6 does the same thing again. Diminishing returns are a thing!

Opa-Pa

I like Yusuke's awakened persona but it's the most unfitting thing ever. Ryuji's is amazing and Ann's is pretty cool.

I believe that Persona 6 needs to be a reimagining, like Persona 3 was after Persona 2.

I'd love this, I never really dug the modern Persona formula that much, I only play them because they're Megaten and good games, but the calendar system and social sim thing are whatever, I don't dislike them but I wouldn't miss them... That being said, I firmly believe that if they get rid of those things, almost half of the series' audience would quit lol. Atlus obviously knows this which is why I don't see them changing it significantly anytime soon.

Still I love my 80 hour long RPGs when it comes to Megaten. But it'd rather have something more traditional like Persona 1 and 2 than what we're having now.

People know the modern Persona formula now, it won't cut it anymore, and it's growing stale.

Except for the peeps whose this game is a first entry into the Persona series!

Looks like the pathway at the train station was changed in the final version.

edit: although those meetup scenes are way too early for 4/11

Feels like a scene set up just for the trailer, using poses/animations they'd already built and a location they later phased out in favour of the Shibuya walkway.

it sure hasn't really effected pokemon >.>

I mean, it has, that's why Sun/Moon sort-of ditching the structure whilst keeping everything else the same made it feel fresh as hell in an almost undeserving way.

Like, put it this way: I'd still overall enjoy a P6 that plays like 3/4/5, buuuut they can do better.

Perineum

I think the series can have a reinvention of itself and still keeps what made P3-P5 great.

Hell you could simply set it in an older era time setting of feudal Japan, and presto. Throw out the bloated dungeons, and you have me back.

P4 is my 2nd favorite game of all time, so it was going to be hard for P5 to topple it to begin with, but I expected it to be a neck and neck race, or at least slightly short of P4. It didn't do that even close because of the issues I laid out above.

Even with that though it's still the best JRPG I have played since...well P4, but that shows how not so hot the genre has been for console players. This year has been great though for the genre with this, Nier Automata, Zelda, and will continue to do so.

Id like to see a new Digital Devil Saga, Nocturne, or hell even a new MMO like they tried on PC years ago for the next adventure this studio undertakes. Persona 6 is welcome, but a lot needs to be learned ... probably nothing will since reviews and sales were through the roof and I am in the minority.

Oh and I would love a new Persona fighter with cast members from P5. Ryuji or Yosuke main all day. Makoto for bae!

Top Bottom