• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Mailbox

I thought it was overblown at first too, but meh, it's a thousand cuts type of thing for me personally. After a while due to the game's length, it's like, okay, it's getting more and more difficult to ignore it.

Oddly enough for me, it was easier and easier to ignore it as i went on.
Like i noticed fewer and fewer instances of bad localization as i went. I'm pretty sure the beginning hours are probably the worst wrt the localization, but outside of a few egregious moments where i had to stop and go "that's not how english works" the later parts of the game are handled much better.

LiK

Oddly enough for me, it was easier and easier to ignore it as i went on.
Like i noticed fewer and fewer instances of bad localization as i went. I'm pretty sure the beginning hours are probably the worst wrt the localization, but outside of a few egregious moments where i had to stop and go "that's not how english works" the later parts of the game are handled much better.

That's how I saw it. It wasn't glaringly bad and the English dub was good. I'm sure there are errors but ignorance is bliss, I guess. I look forward to some comprehensive video out there about the translation int he future.

I can understand the issues especially if you understand JPN cuz I will also hate subs that are wrong for Hong Kong movies.

Setsu00

There are numerous lines, and it'd take a while to find every single issue that isn't pointed out on personaproblems.com - but to give you an idea of some issues that clearly slipped through the cracks outside translation/localization...

(Lategame spoilers)
Futaba has lines in the first safe room in Shido's palace that are reversed. What she says is in the opposite order from how it's written in the speech bubble. A similar issue can be found in Lavenza's battle/link, where what she speaks and what is written do not match up.

There are also pronunciation issues and the aforementioned localization issues throughout - though, again, it'd take some time to compile all of them.

I'm incredibly bothered by the fact that the site uses a redrawn, swapped Soejima drawing for its background.

Opa-Pa

I went back and watched the SMT HD project trailer again for the first time after having finished P5 and lmao, all of the demons' idle animations are exactly the same as the ones in P5, despite it being a CG trailer and all haha. Good ol Atlus, I wouldn't have it any other way to be honest.

Curufinwe

Quick question: Should I still hang out with a Confidant if I get the message that my bond won't deepen with them just yet?

If you get the Fortune confidant up to level 7 you can pay her 5,000 yen to increase your bond with a confidant. Limit of one per day.

So once you get to that point in the game, before you spend and afternoon or evening hanging out with a confidant who won't rank up, be sure to go and see Fortune lady first.

Guess Who

Banned
I went back and watched the SMT HD project trailer again for the first time after having finished P5 and lmao, all of the demons' idle animations are exactly the same as the ones in P5, despite it being a CG trailer and all haha. Good ol Atlus, I wouldn't have it any other way to be honest.

they'll probably be retextured to fit a more "SMT" style, but there's like a 95% chance the SMT HD project is going to use the demon models and animations from P5 wholesale

LiK

they'll probably be retextured to fit a more "SMT" style, but there's like a 95% chance the SMT HD project is going to use the demon models and animations from P5 wholesale

I feel that's what will happen too. They like to recycle the demons.

Opa-Pa

Yeah I'm fully expecting them to only have different textures at most, and honestly I don't really mind it at all. I ate up like that 7 games with the same models and animation during the PS2 era with no complaints. It just threw me off a bit that they just slowed down most animations for the trailer and called it a day haha.

Seriously though, I hope the re-introduction of relatively "hardcore" elements in P5 like actual dungeon crawling and negotiations are a sign that Atlus plans to revitalize the popularity of non Persona Megaten games on consoles in the future... Even getting just two games aside of P5 and SMT HD would make me incredibly happy.

I feel that's what will happen too. They like to recycle the demons.

If it means they can get the game out sooner by just dumping in P5's models (whilst creating additional ones) than that's a positive for me.

Speaking of, whoever adapted Kaneko's demon designs for P5 did an excellent job. Looked like the real evolution jump from SMT3: Nocturne to P5. I didn't expect them to look so good.

The translation has some clunkers, that's for sure.

But it's also largely fine for 90% of the game. It's not up to Atlus standard and should absolutely be called out, but the way some people talk, it sounds like a travesty. The critique site is important and highlights a lot of the issues. I'm glad that voice is there because we absolutely need to hold the game to a higher standard. But it also is not nearly the game-breaker most people are making it out to be, and I honestly think some people are over-critiqing it: finding issues where there aren't any.

It was definitely overblown to me. People put so much emphasis on it too. We got what? 3 threads about it? But no threads about the dookie confidant progression, lack of variety in music, and the end game pacing.

I guess the biggest thing is that it's worse than Persona 4's localization, so it stands out more? I don't know. I just can't give two shits about a mediocre localization, especially when there's bigger (IMO) problems that need to be addressed. I understand it's a huge deal for some, but honestly it seems if people had to choose only one improvement in a revision, a lot would choose a better localization. Hopefully it all gets fixed in a re-release though. I'm just being a brat about it.

Opa-Pa

I mean, stuff like music variety and pacing are more "subjective" because a lot of people are likely to not mind them at all (myself included), but the localization is objectively poor and quite apparent depending on how much attention you give to the text in the game. To me it makes perfect sense that it's gotten so much attention and I'm actually disappointed that so many people try to downplay the issue.

... However I don't really expect it to ever get addressed, because fixing it would require them to basically localize the game almost entirely again and record most of the dialogue a second time, which simply isn't worth it for a company like Atlus.

... However I don't really expect it to ever get addressed, because fixing it would require them to basically localize the game almost entirely again and record most of the dialogue a second time, which simply isn't worth it for a company like Atlus.

I wouldn't be so sure.

Depending on what route they go with the re-release, they could have a chance to go through the script & localization again fully before doing a pass on the new content - voice acting included - assuming it's like Persona 4 Golden.

If they go the P3P route, they'll also have the chance to retool the localization for the female route at the very least, if not both routes, considering it'd also need new voice acting regardless for the FeMC route.

Quonny

Made a garbage file at 10/30 to do all the miscellaneous trophies like the book, fishing, thief tools, etc. Now to load that save again and beat all the videogames, then back to my main file to finish confidants.

Opa-Pa

I wouldn't be so sure.

Depending on what route they go with the re-release, they could have a chance to go through the script & localization again fully before doing a pass on the new content - voice acting included - assuming it's like Persona 4 Golden.

If they go the P3P route, they'll also have the chance to retool the localization for the female route at the very least, if not both routes, considering it'd also need new voice acting regardless for the FeMC route.

Well, technically it's not impossible but it'd turn a relatively "easy" localization job into a huge money sink for a game that they already worked on and thus probably don't see as worth the hassle.

I'd love to be surprised though. Persona 5 deserved so much better.

Well, technically it's not impossible but it'd turn a relatively "easy" localization job into a huge money sink for a game that they already worked on and thus probably don't see as worth the hassle.

I'd love to be surprised though. Persona 5 deserved so much better.

I mean, looking at it technically, depending on the style of rerelease we're looking at two possible localization jobs...
  1. Golden/FES Style Re-Release: New Events, Dungeons, & Content. New Scenes will require additional voice acting from previous actors, and full re-dubbing will be required in the case of conflicts. (i.e: Chie/Rise/Kanji from game to game.) All new text will require localization, meaning time will be spent on that regardless, as well.
  2. Persona 3 Portable Style Re-Release: Female Route & Accompanying new Content. Much like a Golden/FES Style re-release, all lines referencing "him" must be re-recorded to be changed, and some areas of the game will have new scenes/text that will also need to be localized & dubbed. Conflicts/etc will also need to be handled the same way as with a Golden-style Re-Release if they arise.
I mean, the amount of work may differ between the two options, but either way, it's a prime excuse to re-localize and give the game another editorial pass or so to fix issues from vanilla, of which there are quite a few legitimate errors. This is especially considering both options will require a translator/editor on hand regardless for new scenes & edits.

Opa-Pa

Hah, I totally forgot about the re-dubbing work that was necessary for Chie and Teddie. You may be right then, this gives me a bit more hope.

Boss characters that only show ???? on their info screen even though you've already fused that persona is bullshit.

Haha to be fair, some don't really share the same elemental weaknesses. That hellish Jack Frost at Mementos comes to mind.

So i have a question about my last trophy i need for the platinum.

After 2 playthroughs, i still dont have the hostage negotiation trophy. Its never happened in 2 full playthroughs and 140+ hours. So im about to start my 3rd playthrough. Whats the easiest way to get this damn trophy?

That was my final Trophy to get too. If you are NG+ do not equip carried over armour and weapons on Ryuji, Ann and Morgana - but you get buff son so you don't die while doing this - fast forward through the entire start of the game until you get actual freedom sans tutorial pop ups in the first Palace and then make your way to the 2nd Safe Room. Save up and then go hit up some enemies. Don't ambush them but you guard up and hope you find that Horse thingies that cast Garu and that they hit Ryuji. Took me a number of reloads but after an hour?? 2?? they crit Ryuji and then finally they decided to take him hostage. It's down to luck in the end - all you can do is make it easy on them to cast a skill your team is weak to and then you hope. I tried turning the difficulty up - this just made them kill my team rather than take them hostage so I kept it on Normal.

While I didn't mind Chie's new voice dub in Golden, I feel like the only person who hated the new Teddie voice. :p

I'm with you, by the end of Golden I found Teddie more jarring than Chie. All credit to the voice actor, I think they did a fine job, it was just a lot harder to accept the new Teddie for some reason.

LiK

While I didn't mind Chie's new voice dub in Golden, I feel like the only person who hated the new Teddie voice. :p

I played Golden first and loved Chie's voice. Old Chie sounded like shit to me when I watched a LP. So stiff and one of her battle lines was hilariously bad.

daveo42

Banned

I had no issues with either but I've only played Golden. Listening to both I can't really tell or care about the difference really. I must be immune to VA changes as long as they sound at least somewhat similar.

gun_haver

Chie's original voice is about 30% of the reason I liked Persona 4.

Very disappointed with the amount of flak I've seen thrown Chie's way around these parts in recent weeks.

edit:

Also, no way does the localisation 'get better' as the game goes along. That's probably just you getting used to it. It's just as bad if not worse because alot of the astounding chains of nonsense come streaming out Shido, Igor and Akechi's mouths, and you hear more from them as it goes along. Plus even when it isn't egregious, there's a base level of badness that is present more often than not in every dialogue box.

I would perk up when a line actually had the words in the right order and used a vernacular known to humanity, because those lines were less common than the word salad.

Alfredo

I'm watching my girlfriend play through vanilla Persona 4 right now (she refuses to play Golden because of how I kept complaining about Marie), and listening to Teddie's original voice is so weird now. In Arena, the replacement sounded awful, but it felt like they made a better effort to imitate the original in Golden.

Original Chie is still best Chie, though. :)

Well she sounds annoying as hell most of the time and way too over exaggerated so that's not a good thing lmao.

Teddie I can barely spot a difference in.

I disagree I think it sounds fine, so I think it's a good thing. It fits her character way more.

Though I always go for Japanese voices anyway, so I haven't heard the dub in quite some time.

Lunar15

There's some real bad lines near the end.

The game stumbles any time something about expectations is brought up. Also, I feel like NPC dialogue had way more errors than cast dialogue. The flat voice acting for the NPC characters, particularly the detectives at the beginning and ending of the game, really highlight some badly interpreted lines.

It's almost as if they were afraid to misinterpret key concepts like "expectations" and "justice", since they're key to the plot, but couldn't find a way to eloquently do it without deviating from the original script.

PK Gaming

The game stumbles any time something about expectations is brought up. Also, I feel like NPC dialogue had way more errors than cast dialogue. The flat voice acting for the NPC characters, particularly the detectives at the beginning and ending of the game, really highlight some badly interpreted lines.

It's almost as if they were afraid to misinterpret key concepts like "expectations" and "justice", since they're key to the plot, but couldn't find a way to eloquently do it without deviating from the original script.

KNEE-GEEmah-san

That dude's line reading was hilarious

ckohler

I have to agree that things like "We must prove our justice!" sounds off because that's just not a phrase an English speaker would say. Localization is difficult, especially when you have to match lip flaps in an anime cut scene. Regardless, I prefer a more natural sounding phrase to a more accurate one. That's just me so it's a double edged sword for stickers of literal translations.

Lunar15

I consistently posit that P4 had an okayish script that was buoyed by some stand-out localization in areas (and I feel even more vindicated by the dialogue in the Anime). Believe me, I have no desire to pull any punches regarding the sub-par job Atlus did on P5 when it totally deserved way better.

But even then, with all the issues I did have, I couldn't honestly say it hurt my experience save for a few immersion breaking times. It's hardly the worst localization I've ever seen, and there's actually a ton of lines that have tons of character and emotion in them. As I said, I think some people are throwing doubt on just about every line now, when there's some really great stuff in there.

Zafir

I found the new Chie voice really jarring when it first happened. These days her new voice doesn't bother me as much. I'm not sure I'd go as far to say I prefer it, though.

Teddie on the other hand, the voice change didn't bother me too much really. I don't think it's massively different.

I consistently posit that P4 had an okayish script that was buoyed by some stand-out localization in areas (and I feel even more vindicated by the dialogue in the Anime). Believe me, I have no desire to pull any punches regarding the sub-par job Atlus did on P5 when it totally deserved way better.

But even then, with all the issues I did have, I couldn't honestly say it hurt my experience save for a few immersion breaking times. It's hardly the worst localization I've ever seen, and there's actually a ton of lines that have tons of character and emotion in them. As I said, I think some people are throwing doubt on just about every line now, when there's some really great stuff in there.

Yeah, I think there is some places where they clearly put effort into the localisation in making something relatable to an English audience which otherwise wouldn't be.

I believe it was a time issue, really. It seems like maybe different translators did different sections, and they ran out of time to have people to through and standardise/edit everything. Thus you have these bizarre translation choices and inconsistencies throughout.

cj_iwakura

Finished Palace 7 last night.

The penultimate battle wasn't nearly as intense as Akechi, sadly. That fight was insane, in all the right ways.

The last battle was cool, but not as gripping. Akechi had stakes, the final was just another mustache-twirlingly evil jerk.

And Akechi was an actual Persona user. One step closer to having rival Persona users that are actually threats. If they really want to make them a challenge, there should be a team of FOUR Persona users that fight the party. They buff, debuff, heal, support, all that awesome stuff.

Didn't like that Akechi was done in by himself, though the Cognitive Akechi had some terrifying expressions.

back to Persona after a long break(life got a little busy)

just clearded the 7th palace....

Ryuji
you goddamn sonofabitch!!! I take everything bad I said about you back!!!
I was prettty sure he wasn't dead
but still! GOAT scene!!!

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Reaper exploit is a godsend.

I didn't even do it more than once and gained about 5 levels for the whole party (including backup membmers lol).

It really made a lot of things easier since I wasn't grinding and was avoiding doing Mementos too often.

Top Bottom