• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

FHIZ

Make sure you don't do it then if you want to win. You'll get bodied during it. I did it at level 95 and it was a good fight. You could probably do it at 70 though.
What about on safety difficulty? I'm just burning though NG+ to get the confidants, compendium, book and that fight.

Eylos

Banned
I think maybe we will see dlc for Ps4, persona 4 and 3 for ps2 are like that, because it doesnt exist dlc for ps2, maybe this time they will release the expanded game for switch, and the expansion as a dlc for ps4

Recall

I've not finished Palace 7 but is there a point in the game where Persona's become useless and should be turned into items to carry something forward into NG+?

I've not finished Palace 7 but is there a point in the game where Persona's become useless and should be turned into items to carry something forward into NG+?

Nope. The best item Persona are probably higher level than you'll be by the final boss unless you take steps. But don't let that stop you. You can just use the compendium after you turn Metatron into a gun.

daveo42

Banned
Make sure you don't do it then if you want to win. You'll get bodied during it. I did it at level 95 and it was a good fight. You could probably do it at 70 though.

You could do it at level 10 with the right persona. The only issue I had with the fight was with
managing to down them at the same time and the damage output barrier late in the fight. The first being downing one and not the other means Recarm and the latter being the instant knock down and all out attack. Oddly enough, I won by having my party wiped and downing Caroline down right before the all-out-attack. Justine was basically just doing the knock down attack over and over again without being able to actually perform the follow-up.

Super weird.

Pretty embarrassing that I can't find a copy of this game on PS3. Deep Silver are morons. Very little useful information on Twitter about when retailers will get restocked.
Hopefully GameSeek has some in tomorrow.

Kindekuma

Banned
Man, Palace 7 is more or less a pain in the ass.
The mouse puzzles in the maze of rooms
just isn't fun.

Palace 6 though, that was my shit.

LiK

just isn't fun.

Palace 7 puzzle gimmick was just busywork. Ruined what could've been an amazing dungeon if they simply had another puzzle type included to add some variety.

Kindekuma

Banned
Palace 7 puzzle gimmick was just busywork. Ruined what could've been an amazing dungeon if they simply had another puzzle type included to add some variety.

It doesn't make any sort of real sense why it should be there even. A shoe horned in explanation doesn't make it better. I mean, look at this dungeon's gimmicks compared to the rest.

Palace 2:
Identify the correct Sayuri, and jump between paintings
, checks out.
Palace 3:
Finding the pin codes to access the safe
, checks out.
Palace 4:
Juggling around gems inbetween statuettes and solving hieroglyphics
, checks out.
Palace 5:
Identifying the managers, and breaking the cranes on the assembly lines
, checks out.
Palace 6:
Winning an insane amount of money from the lottos and games to proceed
, checks out.

BUT THIS? The bigger objective makes sense, but the parts in between is such shit.

It doesn't make any sort of real sense why it should be there even. A shoe horned in explanation doesn't make it better. I mean, look at this dungeon's gimmicks compared to the rest.

BUT THIS? The bigger objective makes sense, but the parts in between is such shit.

No lies detected.

daveo42

Banned

It was also the only dungeon that used the same "puzzle" mechanic from beginning to end instead of adding a bit of variation on what needed to be done to clear a section.

Palace 7 spoiler:
Shido looks down on everyone? Rats on a ship?
Super weak justification they had to explain in game to make it make some sense too. I think it would have been way cooler if
you had to complete a puzzle or challenge with each VIP relevant to their industry or skill.
That would have been cool.

LiK

Palace 2:
, checks out.
Palace 3:
, checks out.
Palace 4:
, checks out.
Palace 5:
, checks out.
Palace 6:
, checks out.

Yup, completely random.

It was also the only dungeon that used the same "puzzle" mechanic from beginning to end instead of adding a bit of variation on what needed to be done to clear a section.

Yup, all the other Palaces changed things up. They all had two different puzzle types minimum. Even the hated 5th one tried something different.

Lunar15

Palace 2:
, checks out.
Palace 3:
, checks out.
Palace 4:
, checks out.
Palace 5:
, checks out.
Palace 6:
, checks out.

I think it made sense thematically. Did I enjoy it? Eh, it was better than the cranes. Coulda done without the fact that enemies respawned during it.

Agree that they needed to mix it up midway.

daveo42

Banned
Yup, all the other Palaces changed things up. They all had two different puzzle types minimum. Even the hated 5th one tried something different.

I still don't get the hate for Palace 5. What set people off on it? The final section or the messaging on how much of the palace was left? Also, palace 7 should have done a better job in highlighting
when you would hit a loading screen while going through doors. I couldn't tell you how many times I'd jump to a new section and have to backtrack to the previous one and kill all the respawned enemies.

The whole
floating through space parts, iirc
I wasn't a fan either. Used a guide during NG+ to get through it quickly.

I understand why you could get frustrated with the airlock section, but I didn't think it detracted from the whole dungeon and it worked with the location and theme of the palace. Plus I didn't find it that hard, especially after looking at the color code on the map itself for each gate.

LiK

I still don't get the hate for Palace 5. What set people off on it? The final section or the messaging on how much of the palace was left? Also, palace 7 should have done a better job in highlighting
when you would hit a loading screen while going through doors. I couldn't tell you how many times I'd jump to a new section and have to backtrack to the previous one and kill all the respawned enemies.

The whole
floating through space parts, iirc
I wasn't a fan either. Used a guide during NG+ to get through it quickly.

Kindekuma

Banned

Palace 5 wasn't that bad honestly. I rather enjoyed it, the only thing that got rather tiresome was having to
reset the machines to break mode
. The whole
airlock sequence
wasn't too terrible, I got stuck on the last section for a few moments figuring out which one should be activated but that was again brief. Agreed about going through major areas, speaking of doors, I could really do without the
dialogue boxes needed at every time I unlocked the doors
. I'm just mashing X trying to speed things up here.

Hero

It actually easy to platinum but it still does take a lot of time to get. If you didn't max out your confidants in your first go then you'll pretty much have to play the whole game again like I did.

Not that I was bothered by that haha. It was fun experiencing the story and hanging out with the characters again.

I didn't manage to get all the confidants up on my own. Without using I guide a I missed out on 4. Sucks man.

It's not just about the Persona skills though. It's also about building a good library so you can easily get the Persona you want when you need them. There's also the matter of stats. The MC's stats are directly linked to the Persona equipped, so you want to have really good stats as you progress, instead of just focusing on the skills. That aside, Itemization is a huge incentive to care about being able to fuse the big endgame Persona, since all the ultimate weapons come from those and can't be bought or found. The high level of those Persona also mean that you'll need to spend a lot of money just to fuse them unless you want to grind A LOT. It cost me like 400-500k to fuse Michael, but it was totally worth it since it gives Makoto the gun that adds +10 to all her stats. The unique melee weapons you can get from Persona mid-game and late-game also tend to look really cool. Having the Bugbear gloves on Makoto as a weapon made battles so much funnier. And now she has knife hands from Cybele. Lol.

Wait, you get weapons/items from forming the ultimate Persona of the various arcana?

LotusHD

Banned
just isn't fun.

Felt the opposite. Palace 6 was irksome, though the music was good. Palace 7 was loooooong as usual, but I dunno, didn't feel particularly aggravated while progressing through it. However, due to the poor placement of safe rooms in that palace, had I died even once
especially as a mouse
, I suppose I would've been pissed.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Palace 5 wasn't that bad honestly. I rather enjoyed it, the only thing that got rather tiresome was having to
reset the machines to break mode
. Agreed about going through major areas, speaking of doors, I could really do without the
dialogue boxes needed at every time I unlocked the doors
. I'm just mashing X trying to speed things up here.

This is kinda my only complaint with the game, text box overload for stuff that happens constantly. I dont need a text box letting me know Im in a safe room every time I enter a safe room.

I dont need a handful of text boxes from Morgana everytime I read a book "How far did you get? Wow you finished reading it. Wow that was a good use of your time. Wow the author sounds like a scumbag but theres some good advice in here. Wow that boosted your stats." Mona stahp.

For the next game I really hope they dont shoehorn in the mascot with the MC for every moment in the game. Moving on from the high school setting would be nice too.

broz0rs

I thought that Palace 5 puzzle was easy as pie. All I needed to do was open up the map and see whether flipping the switch created a line (on the map) through the pathways.

I'm about to start Palace 6 soon and I think my biggest bane in the game is the non stop cut scenes and early bed time a week before a new palace starts. It's so boring.

muteki

Only though 4th Palace so far but I think so far I'd rank them 4>3>1>2.

I do think that the detail in the first dungeon kinda hasn't been duplicated since but otherwise outside of 2 being a bit too simplistic I've enjoyed all of them.

PK Gaming

Watching the beginning of the game again, and I still can't believe they hard translated "Yoroshiku onegaishimasu" into "please take care of me" instead of going with the much "nice to meet you." That's not even sloppy, that's just amateur hour.

I honestly miss the disembodied narrator from 3 and 4.

I wish the game went hard on Joker's internal thoughts. None of this "Morgana says everything." Could have led to some interesting/humorous moments if Joker felt particular about something. ex: (A cigarette stand. Maybe I can change my Dad's heart to get him to quit some day...?)

(His pants are just unreal)

(Everyday's great at your Junes ♪)

(Damn it Mishima x 63)

etc.

LiK

Watching the beginning of the game again, and I still can't believe they hard translated "Yoroshiku onegaishimasu" into "please take care of me" instead of going with the much "nice to meet you." That's not even sloppy, that's just amateur hour.

I wish the game went hard on Joker's internal thoughts. None of this "Morgana says everything." Could have led to some interesting/humorous moments if Joker felt particular about something. ex: (A cigarette stand. Maybe I can change my Dad's heart to get him to quit some day...?)

(Damn it Mishima x 63)

etc.

Yea, it's like they did a literal translation and someone forgot to localize it lol

KraytarJ

My problem with palace 5 are the puzzles are too tedious (floating through air locks, and especially text boxes around lunch time) and the music is insanely aggravating in the factory section.

My own palace rankings would be:
6>4>3>2>1>7>5

Lunar15

(Damn it Mishima x 63)

etc.

That could have been interesting, but for some reason I just really like the disembodied narrator. I can't tell you why. Something about it is so incredibly nostalgic.

KraytarJ

(Damn it Mishima x 63)

etc.
I thought the please take care of me line was a self-deprecating joke because of how pathetic it sounds in context. If that's not what they were going for then I have no idea why that would even be an option considering it's a terrible translation of the phrase you put forth.

Yeah, I've been hit recently with the urge to replay the game, but the localization work kinda sours that thought - I know I'd focus too much on all the awkward phrasing & direct translations.

Yea, it's like they did a literal translation and someone forgot to localize it lol

Classic case of too many cooks & too little time.

I thought the please take care of me line was a self-deprecating joke because of how pathetic it sounds in context. If that's not what they were going for then I have no idea why that would even be an option considering it's a terrible translation of the phrase you put forth.

It's primarily a case of stock phrases being used rather than suiting the localization to the tone, scene, & idea being put forth.

PK Gaming

That could have been interesting, but for some reason I just really like the disembodied narrator. I can't tell you why. Something about it is so incredibly nostalgic.

ctvqr0ybep.jpg

I really loved it too. It just has this weird style that I can't get enough of. And who could forget about Persona 3's goddamn hysterical "Yesterday was a terrible tragedy. However, you must still go to school today."

That kills me every time.

They're more likely to turn it into a third person shooter. Persona is a high school game.

I really want Persona 6 to deal with College-aged (19-25 year old) people, maybe finding their place in the world or something like that - there's things there that they can tackle with it that they probably can't do with a younger cast, right?

I mean, I understand why they've stuck with High School, it's when people have both free time and uncertainty in large quantities...

... but to deny that there's good opportunity past that would being lying, IMO.

FluxWaveZ

I really want Persona 6 to deal with College-aged (19-25 year old) people, maybe finding their place in the world or something like that - there's things there that they can tackle with it that they probably can't do with a younger cast, right?

I mean, I understand why they've stuck with High School, it's when people have both free time and uncertainty in large quantities...

... but to deny that there's good opportunity past that would being lying, IMO.

That's for new IP, like Catherine. The official description for the Persona series is literally "Juvenile RPG." They're not going to be straying from that.

That's for new IP, like Catherine. The official description for the Persona series is literally "Juvenile RPG." They're not going to be straying from that.

I guess you're right - though even if Persona remains a "modern" RPG rather than simply "modern juvenile" RPG, they could probably move the age range around per title and it would still be staying in its niche.

That said, I do hope Project Re Fantasy has older characters, rather than a cast of all teenagers.

Top Bottom