• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

daveo42

Banned
I really want Persona 6 to deal with College-aged (19-25 year old) people, maybe finding their place in the world or something like that - there's things there that they can tackle with it that they probably can't do with a younger cast, right?

I mean, I understand why they've stuck with High School, it's when people have both free time and uncertainty in large quantities...

... but to deny that there's good opportunity past that would being lying, IMO.

It's a formula that has worked very well for Atlus since if (more so with the S. link/calander/sim aspects started in 3) so I don't really see them changing the formula unless fans grow tired of the high school formula.

I'm in NG+. Guess all my posts about my progress were ignored. :(
I've been paying attention, but I wasn't sure if you were in NG+ don't feel bad fam.
You could do it at level 10 with the right persona. The only issue I had with the fight was with
managing to down them at the same time and the damage output barrier late in the fight. The first being downing one and not the other means Recarm and the latter being the instant knock down and all out attack. Oddly enough, I won by having my party wiped and downing Caroline down right before the all-out-attack. Justine was basically just doing the knock down attack over and over again without being able to actually perform the follow-up.

Super weird.
Well then. I had no time for that lol.

It's a formula that has worked very well for Atlus since if (more so with the S. link/calander aspects started in 3) so I don't really see them changing the formula unless fans grow tired of the high school formula.[

Some already are.

I'm just saying that they can keep the S.Link/Calendar formula and expand on the cast possibilities. We've had a cast of high schoolers 3 times in a row now. 3 best friend characters, 3 first-girl-you-meet characters, 3 tough girls, 3 navs, 3 mascot characters, etc.

I think it'd be interesting if we're placed into the role of a young adult and given the options that the role presents to us. Heck, Persona 5 was originally going to be a backpacking trip around the world with a similar "Find yourself" theme, so I don't think it's too far-fetched.

Lunar15

I guess you're right - though even if Persona remains a "modern" RPG rather than simply "modern juvenile" RPG, they could probably move the age range around per title and it would still be staying in its niche.

That said, I do hope Project Re Fantasy has older characters, rather than a cast of all teenagers.

Concept art seems to imply it.

Now I really want that game.

You know, it's my theory that this was pitched and ultimately turned down because they knew they had to stick to the school theme. Project Re:Fantasy seems like this exact concept (backpacking around the world), just set in a fantasy theme because that's more marketable. Hashino references the earthquake as the reason they decided to focus on Japan, and I think that checks out, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they decided to stick closer to home (and school) to play it safe.

I get the feeling that Re:Fantasy is at least slightly based on Hashino's original thoughts, just put into a context that's more widely accepted by the mainstream.

I want Persona 6 to be about senior citizens in an old folks home.

image.php

PK Gaming

Persona 5 For Beginners by SuperButterBuns.

A pretty fun video about Persona 5. Relatively spoiler-free, but it includes some of the dungeons, characters you can hang out and some parts of the story.

ILMW0AS.png

Great video.

Rapid fire comedy is usually hit and miss, but SBB knows when to let a joke go and she's got great comedic timing. Also her editing is obviously on point.

But yeah, this video contains major endgame spoilers. (In case anyone doesn't see last page's post)

Quonny

The whole game is a flashback, and the decisions you make in the flashbacks impact life in the nursing home. Like, if you romance someone your kid comes and visits you with their own child. The stats you build in the flashbacks are transferred to your grandkid when you play them in chinese checkers, or when they come to you with their love problems. The final boss, who is the same final boss in your flashbacks, comes back to get revenge and it all depends on how prepared your grandchild is thanks to your tutelage.

Dude. You're a genius.

Recall

Kindness is still at 4. Everything else is at 5.

Not sure what else to do, I've read, I've watched, I've fed, I've listened...

Lunar15

Kindness is still at 4. Everything else is at 5.

Not sure what else to do, I've read, I've watched, I've fed, I've listened...

Hanging out with the gamer kid raises your kindness. If you haven't completed his link, it's a good way to do both. Also, definitely use the fortune teller's luck raising skill. It increases the amount of "mysterious background points" you get for doing stat-raising activities.

Recall

Holy shit, and there it is on the last possible day I got Kindness to 5 by giving the plant some food. That worked out well enough I guess. That timing.

decisions

They're more likely to turn it into a third person shooter. Persona is a high school game.

Man that Persona 2 remake really needs to happen huh...It had some adult cast members and everything was fine.

Having played 2-5, i see the series as a sort of modern RPG like some others had mentioned, not necessarily a high school game, and I feel that they have totally perfected that with P5. Not sure how another game with this setting wouldn't feel a bit stale in this regard.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
WOO beat optional boss first try. That was fun.

I did not, but I just read how to trigger it here and thought I'd give it a go (despite being level 19 and only packing the MC with one late game persona).

It was quite funny, they said something along the lines of having low expectations and still being disappointed. It also gives you a summary at the end, 'your battle lasted 1 round'.

Finally finished the game today. What a ride. Was legit feeling sad and nostalgic at the end having to say goodbye to all the characters I just spent 100 hours with. Great RPG and definitely going into my all-time favorites list. Probably supplanting Persona 4 as my overall favorite of the series too. Final playtime was 102:32.

Probably gonna let it sit a bit before doing the trophy mop-up NG+ run. Guess I'll be listening to the soundtrack for the next month or so at least, though.

Damn my endgame Personas suck, was pretty incompetent fusing them throughout the game I think. Been looking up guides for boss strats and whatnot and I keep seeing Persona recommendations for shit I've never even heard of lol

Damn my endgame Personas suck, was pretty incompetent fusing them throughout the game I think. Been looking up guides for boss strats and whatnot and I keep seeing Persona recommendations for shit I've never even heard of lol

If you haven't fused Lucifer by the final boss fight you may as well just delete your save

PK Gaming

It's all good. Just fuse Trumpeter (the level 59 Persona) and you're set. Just be sure to use the Strengthen Persona execution in order to boost his level to where he picks up Debilitate.

Kindekuma

Banned

This Persona 5 Fusion Calculator has been a godsend during my playthrough. If there's Personas I've never heard of and curious to see their fusion chart, or glimpse at what abilities and traits are developed at what level, etc, this has been my go to site.

If you haven't fused Lucifer by the final boss fight you may as well just delete your save

Nope!

It's all good. Just fuse Trumpeter (the level 59 Persona) and you're set. Just be sure to use the Strengthen Persona execution in order to boost his level to where he picks up Debilitate.

Will look into that one, appreciated. Hopefully I can still get that one.

This Persona 5 Fusion Calculator has been a godsend during my playthrough. If there's Personas I've never heard of and curious to see their fusion chart, or glimpse at what abilities and traits are developed at what level, etc, this has been my go to site.

Thanks for this :)

duckroll

Watching the beginning of the game again, and I still can't believe they hard translated "Yoroshiku onegaishimasu" into "please take care of me" instead of going with the much "nice to meet you." That's not even sloppy, that's just amateur hour.

Except this is fake news?

Can the bloody character in Palace 5 STOP saying the treasure is in the next room every single map? I probably did 3 maps thinking it would finish soon and then, NO, ANOTHER MAP.
STFU

JBwB

What do you mean? Did I just misread the situation? Or just get the phrase completely wrong on the Japanese side?

I googled it and the phrase can mean something different depending on the context.

“Be Kind to me”

“I am in your debt”

“I’m counting on you”

“Please help me”

“Please take care of me”

“Nice to meet you”

In the games case it works out.

MoonFrog

I do wish there was an extra dungeon where you could actually use the end-game Personas to good effect. There are a lot of them, but they're pretty unnecessary.

I haven't done the extra boss yet, and I'm guessing/hoping they're pretty important for that?

But that is pretty light on content.

I mean, on the run where I completed the compendium, it was a pain in the ass to get to the low 80s grinding money off those last two shadow groups. At least you can fuse higher level Personas for money, but especially with Ryuji's instant-kill, which, unless I'm mistaken, doesn't net you resources or xp, it gets annoying to even engage those guys.

Really not looking forward to training in mementos before even the events of the 24th. I was a bit irritated I could not fight the boss that day and use the training in the depths. At least ambush is harder to do in mementos.

Game could really use a dungeon to train you into the 90s and push high end persona use, imo.

In the grander scheme, a pretty small gripe but...I do wish they did this better.

Man that Persona 2 remake really needs to happen huh...It had some adult cast members and everything was fine.

Having played 2-5, i see the series as a sort of modern RPG like some others had mentioned, not necessarily a high school game, and I feel that they have totally perfected that with P5. Not sure how another game with this setting wouldn't feel a bit stale in this regard.

I do kind of wonder if you could make a Persona spinoff set in, say, the 70s. I don't know nearly enough about Japanese youth culture from back then to say if that makes sense or not, though.

MoonFrog

College would be harder to do with things like class choice and odd class hours. I think it would be a harder thing to capture in a simulation game compared to high school, which has more structure. So much of college is about choice and actualizing the sort of ephemeral potential of a high schooler, which is under the thumb of tighter structural controls.

I think an adult life with a career would be easier to capture perhaps? Office persona? IDK.

I think they could do a P2 like cast in a P3+ simulation style.

What do you mean? Did I just misread the situation? Or just get the phrase completely wrong on the Japanese side?

If I remember right, in the Japanese version he says something that's too informal/casual for the situation*, rather than "yoroshiku onegaishimasu." So, the localization is still off, just not in the way you were expecting.

*I remember reading this in one of the threads about P5's localization, but couldn't find the post. Apologies if I'm mistaken.

I googled it and the phrase can mean something different depending on the context.

“Be Kind to me”

“I am in your debt”

“I’m counting on you”

“Please help me”

“Please take care of me”

“Nice to meet you”

In the games case it works out.

It's not really a matter of the translation being incorrect, per se, it's usually more a matter of localization people not writing an English script that sounds natural and written from the ground up, which personally is what I think most should be reaching for.

(Although none of this is relevant because the phrase wasn't yoroshiku onegaishimasu)

2 AM. Been playing way to much today.

3rd dungeon. Making stupid mistakes. Dying, loosing one hour of progress, getting caught, getting booted outside...

Shit 4 days spent in this dungeon. Maybe I should go to sleep

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I love the soundtrack but theres just one problem with it...

Its almost too good. Ive been dragging out this boss fight because the music is so amazing.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I just died to this boss and I aint even mad.

Lets hear that badassness once more!

Chihaya rank 9.
it was really cute having her lapse into her original dialect when she got angry at the 3 people and then again when you tell her you want to be with her.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Finished the game, and it had a fairly strong final dungeon and boss, but ultimately the story and characters put this game firmly behind 3 and 4 in my mind. Eyes entirely dry from final cutscene to end credits. 3 and 4 there was DISTINCT moisture. Best S-Links for me were Iwai, Yoshida, and Yusuke. I left Ryuji's at like Rank 6 because fuck that trash can fire of a human.

Now being able to listen to the OST disconnected from the game and compare it to 3 and 4's, my disappointment grows. People point to the size of 5's track list, but a lot of that is due to the amount of repeats of the same song barely pitched changed for Rainy Days and instrumentals. It has some great highs with the battle themes and Palace themes, but I found all the world music utterly dull (other than Layer Cake). Going back and listening to 3's for comparison almost feels unfair its so superior. 5 reuses its cutscene tracks so much that the game entirely lacks the 'everything is doomed' phase both 3 and 4 had. They really ran out of steam on finishing off this game in many ways.

I'm definitely ready for a fresh team to tackle Persona next time round. A lot felt tired in this entry, including the music. Get Naganuma or someone on the next one and absolutely DO NOT set it in another conventional high school.

Top Bottom