• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

raveking

Banned
I see that Trumpeter is still broken in this game. Especially since they changed 'Debilitate' into 'Randomizer' which debuffs all enemies instead of just one at a time lol....

Ydelnae

Empress rank 9 spoilers

Turning down Haru was harsh. It's the only time that I actually felt bad for the character. The way she walks out and invites you out when you say that you are nothing more than friends was heartbreaking.

Hopefully Haru will find a better mind in some of the next 6 Persona 5 spin-offs.

RalchAC

I think the idea behind
Morgana's crisis is that he's essentially the old veteran teaching the newbies, and at that point they were coming into their own enough that they didn't need to rely on him as much. Coupled with being the only non-human party member and his nightmares cratering his hopes of secretly being human, he's rapidly coming to feel like he's being outcast from a haven for outcasts.

He's still totally useful though.

I beat the final boss at level
--75--.
Thing is that Futaba is much more capable as the support character and Makoto much more reliable as the master mind of the team.

So yeah. He is not useless. But besides being a car the cast could have managed just fine.

That doesn't change the fact that he brought Haru, a complete newbie that hadn't fully awakened her Persona to both the dungeon and Mementos.

And the fact that he's offended because Ryuji called him useless, while the story and even other party members almost never react to him calling Ryuji all sorts of things.

If I could have done it, I would have told Morgana to fuck off and don't come back unless he starts being respectful to his teammates by the third dungeon.

He is the character I like the least in the party tbh.

ramyeon

Turning down characters and going their friendship route actually makes you feel bad in this game a lot of the time.

(Light spoiler for some confidants)

I was surprised at how Ohya and Takemi took the rejection of their advances.

Ulong

Just about done the game and I only failed to max 2 social links(both at rank 5) despite playing super inefficiently, often making bad choices in how to spend my time for stats, and making what I know in hindsight to be sub-optimal choices in prioritizing social links.

I'm a little disappointed how easy it is to max them all on a first playthrough to be honest.I never actually got around to doing it with persona 3 or 4, but I always liked the idea of coming back with my NG+ character and getting all the social links now that I start with all the social stats and stuff. That seems a lot less appealing when I basically saw them all anyway.

Opa-Pa

I beat the final boss at level
--75--.

Well that's decent enough, if I can finish it with a level like that without grinding then it's fine. I think P3 was like that too.

You two should go farm reaper 2-3 times during flu season

I've been aware of this trick for some time but I'm still not sure if I want to try it. Challenge has been great so far on hard and I don't want to trivialize difficulty... Yet!

I was sooooooo disappointed when I saw it, as I more or less like everyone else's outfit (I'd prefer Ann's be less sexualized, but I can excuse it for a few reasons) and their Personas, but I hate both Goro's outfit and his Persona design. They're so cheesy, though I do understand why they look like that.
I actually adore them, especially Robin Hood. When the Personas were first revealed and we found out that they're based on various established vigilantes I was really hoping for Robin Hood. Little did I know he was in and sporting a super cheesy comic book hero design. It's perfect. Makes it all the more upsetting he's only available for one dungeon.

Thing is that Futaba is much more capable as the support character and Makoto much more reliable as the master mind of the team.

So yeah. He is not useless. But besides being a car the cast could have managed just fine.

That doesn't change the fact that he brought Haru, a complete newbie that hadn't fully awakened her Persona to both the dungeon and Mementos.

And the fact that he's offended because Ryuji called him useless, while the story and even other party members almost never react to him calling Ryuji all sorts of things.

If I could have done it, I would have told Morgana to fuck off and don't come back unless he starts being respectful to his teammates by the third dungeon.

He is the character I like the least in the party tbh.

He's definitely way too harsh on Ryuji, and I wish I could tell him to tone that shit down.

And then (END GAME SPOILERS)
the characters say that he'd be like Joker if he was human. Which I can totally see because there's a lot of overlap there, except, again, that Morgana just seems so unnecessarily harsh to Ryuji and unnecessarily abrasive sometimes in general.

It's a weird spot in the writing, like they wanted to have this rivalry between Ryuji and Morgana and then didn't do a tone check for how often they have them butt heads. Even the other characters overlook it, as though the writers just totally forgot to check for consistency there.

Tactics18

Found a
Berserk
reference.

Contrary to everyone apparently, I actually really like palace 5.
Had a couple annoying deaths but they were all fair.

"Come on we didn't come here to make small talk did we?"

Actually Makoto, a little would be nice instead of 24/7 Phantom Thieves discussions.

Opa-Pa

Holy shit, Japan actually has a 99.9% prosecution rate 0_o

If they get you into court, you're screwed!

Thanks for the heads up Persona.

Yeah that's the basis behind the Ace Attorney series.

Curious, I was about to comment on how Sae would fit just fine in one of the games lol.

Chaos17

Empress rank 9 spoilers

Turning down Haru was harsh. It's the only time that I actually felt bad for the character. The way she walks out and invites you out when you say that you are nothing more than friends was heartbreaking.

Hopefully Haru will find a better mind in some of the next 6 Persona 5 spin-offs.

She relies too much on him because she is in a sad moment of her life. I think it's fair to reject her so she can become more independant later like Ann or Makoto.

RalchAC

Today I've turned 3 people into Persona fans. It was a great day :p

Found a
Berserk
reference.

Contrary to everyone apparently, I actually really like palace 5.
Had a couple annoying deaths but they were all fair.

I didn't hate it.

I actually liked the first part with the
different ID cards.

The second part, the
factory
wasn't that bad.

And I had zero troubles clearing the
space station section.

I think it wouldn't have been a bad idea to make some cuts here and there, since it was the longest and it threw all kinds of different puzzles. Make every section a bit shorter.

He's definitely way too harsh on Ryuji, and I wish I could tell him to tone that shit down.

And then (END GAME SPOILERS)
the characters say that he'd be like Joker if he was human. Which I can totally see because there's a lot of overlap there, except, again, that Morgana just seems so unnecessarily harsh to Ryuji and unnecessarily abrasive sometimes in general.

It's a weird spot in the writing, like they wanted to have this rivalry between Ryuji and Morgana and then didn't do a tone check for how often they have them butt heads. Even the other characters overlook it, as though the writers just totally forgot to check for consistency there.

I haven't read the end game spoiler. But for the rest, I pretty much agree. I wish the game would have allowed you to tell Morgana something. It's definitely the biggest con I can find in the writting. Overall it's pretty great.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Why would anyone ever be a defense attorney in Japan...

Balphon

Holy shit, Japan actually has a 99.9% prosecution rate 0_o

If they get you into court, you're screwed!

Thanks for the heads up Persona.

It's a combination of various systemic factors which pressure prosecutors to only pursue cases they can win and the fact that most criminal investigations in Japan are based around obtaining a confession.

It's actually pretty interesting from a comparative criminal justice perspective.

Palace 3 boss question:
His demon name is Bael, but he's depicted as a fly. This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me considering it's usually Beelzelbub that's depicted as a fly, not Bael, also I just don't see a thematic connection between him being a fly and running a bank. Is there a japanese parallel I'm missing here?

Both Bael and Beelzebub are offshoots of Christian demonization of Baal, but function as separate entities.

I would've used the name Baal Zebul for the boss instead, as that form of Beelzebub isn't in the game. MegaTen has some conflation issues.

I'm also confused about the overlap the sins have. Beelzebub and Kaneshiro represent gluttony, but run a bank.

It's a combination of various systemic factors which pressure prosecutors to only pursue cases they can win and the fact that most criminal investigations in Japan are based around obtaining a confession.

It's actually pretty interesting from a comparative criminal justice perspective.

You know, that might explain why those old Detective Animes like Kindaichi always ends with the Suspect straight up just confess everything.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Palace 3 boss question:
His demon name is Bael, but he's depicted as a fly. This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me considering it's usually Beelzelbub that's depicted as a fly, not Bael, also I just don't see a thematic connection between him being a fly and running a bank. Is there a japanese parallel I'm missing here?
Sin of gluttony.

Banks.

Yeah.

Palace 3 boss question:

My guess:
it represents dirty money. So like a fly to 'shit' money.

I actually adore them, especially Robin Hood. When the Personas were first revealed and we found out that they're based on various established vigilantes I was really hoping for Robin Hood. Little did I know he was in and sporting a super cheesy comic book hero design. It's perfect. Makes it all the more upsetting he's only available for one dungeon.

Honestly, the best part of having
Goro
in your party is the line and delivery of "
My skills exceed yours!
"

And since there's a lot of
Akechi
discussion on the last few pages, I'm just going to write up a thing on him.

SPOILERS FOR THE ENTIRE GAME

It seems to me that the game decided to do something atypical with the Seven Deadly Sins in that it split Vanity off from Pride and gave it its own dungeon in Madarame, and then took Wrath and split it in half. The first half is Futaba's erroneous view of her mother, and the second half is Goro.

Goro comes across to me as someone who is severely emotionally stunted. He's meant to be the classic detective rival to the protagonist's gentleman thief, and he's even got some similar circumstances in that he's implied to be another Wild Card. But where both Goro and the Phantom Thieves are in it for revenge, Joker and crew use that drive to free other victims, whereas Goro just uses it for his own revenge and gratification. In other words, the Phantom Thieves are the righteous version of anger (hey, I just realized why the game's theme colour is red!), while Goro is what happens when that anger consumes you and leads you wrong, i.e. Wrath.

I remember him saying some stuff in his battle that made him out to be very condescending and dismissive of the Thieves' actions and circumstances, like he just couldn't move past his own victimization to transform it into righteous retribution, as they (and especially Joker, as they both got fucked over by the same person) did. And then you consider his ridiculous Metaverse outfit, Persona design, and All-Out-Attack finisher, and it's all just so... childish. The other characters' outfits and Personas mostly have this sense of grace or coherence to them, but his look like some over-the-top cheesy design you'd see in a comic aimed at elementary schoolers. And then his AOA finisher is this absurd attempt to show off and look more graceful than the other characters do, but instead it ends up super overdone and just looks ridiculous because he's clearly acting, while everyone else is honest and has actually dealt with their shit. In other words, Goro doesn't know what heroism actually looks like.

Tl;dr: Wrath is what happens when you don't have the emotional maturity to direct your anger in a constructive direction and end up fucking up everything around you instead.

Chaos17

I went with
Makoto
and that wasn't really good either. Honestly, the whole thing was a big let down after what we had in Persona 4.

It was at least a bit romantic xD
Instead
Ryugi was so hype of our popularity that he almost told some girls the truth, he was so desperate, lmao. Thanks to Yusuke to have stoped him or I would've jumped in myself to struggle him.

Top Bottom