• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

JJShadow

I don't know how but I managed to secure the route to the third dungeon treasure in one day (without using SP recovery accesories), I ended up with no HP or SP left for any of the party members lol It was long as hell, the struggle was real

Gbraga

Alright, so I had to name my group and had no idea what to put there. So we're Nudist Beach now.

tumblr_mvxmj7siXO1r684kjo1_500.gif

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It was at least a bit romantic xD
Instead
Ryugi was so hype of our popularity that he almost told some girls the truth, he was so desperate, lmao. Thanks to Yusuke to have stoped him or I would've jumped in myself to struggle him.

Oh god I'm glad I didn't go that route. That part of ryuji drives me up the wall.

Aw man, I'm at the end of July and people are coming over to hang out with me and all I want to do is spend all day with them.

Hopefully not a mistake to do that instead of palaces or mementos

Weiss

Banned
Post-Palace six spoilers.

So if I have this right,
the interrogation room where Akechi murders the protagonist is in the cognitive world? How does that work?

Ulong

I'm just before I think the final boss, on (date spoiler)
12/24
, is there going to be a final chance to buy a bunch of gear and stuff for ng+ or did I miss the boat?

FluxWaveZ

So if I have this right,
the interrogation room where Akechi murders the protagonist is in the cognitive world? How does that work?

Have you had the full explanation yet? Did you talk to
Futaba in your room?
It's all talked about pretty in-depth.

Antiwhippy

So if I have this right,

Because sae's cognitive world extends all the way to that room.

Chaos17

About Akechi outfit, the references is simple:
- the clothes represent the prince outfit in the west (check walt dysney animes)
- the mask represent a tengu, which is a crow and this divinity is often considered has protector in japanese culture.

So his outfit represent well the fake image that Akechi was giving to the public: prince charming detective who protect them.

Edit; though the wiki also give a lot of different interpretation how tengu are viewed, either as deity protector or stupid demon or bad demons. Dunmo wich one that the devs took, maybe all.

Both Bael and Beelzebub are offshoots of Christian demonization of Baal, but function as separate entities.

I would've used the name Baal Zebul for the boss instead, as that form of Beelzebub isn't in the game. MegaTen has some conflation issues.

I'm also confused about the overlap the sins have. Beelzebub and Kaneshiro represent gluttony, but run a bank.

Honestly I think *spoilers for 3rd and 5th dungeon*
it would've made far more sense to swap the sins of Kaneshiro and the Okumura. Kaneshiro makes way more sense as greed as money was his entire thing, especially when his palace is a fucking bank. Okumura made way more sense as gluttony, since while he was rich, money didn't really seem to be his end goal so much as indulging in a life of power and luxury which fits with Gluttony more. I mean, the whole point of his palace was that he was trying to transcend the business world and move into the realm of the political elite. Plus you know, his whole business was a fucking fast food restaurant

Thud

Dumb question I just thought of, going through the start of the game again in NG+:

How does the MC have a school uniform already? He hasn't even been to Shujin yet.

I had the same question lol.

Must have sent it to him beforehand. Still it's weird that he wears it before actually attending school.

Eylos

Banned

So if I have this right,
- when Sae is talking with you its on real world
-She leaves and shows the cellphone to akechi, futaba is watching through the cellphone, she activates the navigation App, after that is metaverse

it would've made far more sense to swap the sins of Kaneshiro and the Okumura. Kaneshiro makes way more sense as greed as money was his entire thing, especially when his palace is a fucking bank. Okumura made way more sense as gluttony, since while he was rich, money didn't really seem to be his end goal so much as indulging in a life of power and luxury which fits with Gluttony more. I mean, the whole point of his palace was that he was trying to transcend the business world and move into the realm of the political elite. Plus you know, his whole business was a fucking fast food restaurant

You have a point there!

chogidogs

Credits roll after
7 hours of thinking I was about to finish. The end of the game was a slog since I was already mentally checked out by the end of Shido's dungeon. The last boss and everything after kinda made up for it though. Loved this game. Should have been 20 hours shorter.

So how do you play the game console once you buy it?

Assuming you already have the old TV in your room (can you even buy the game console without already owning the TV?), just use it in your free time. If you haven't watched TV yet it'll show you whatever's on it that day; use it again and it'll give you the option to watch a DVD or play a game.

Which persona have the strongest of each elemental type?

So far I know:

Inferno - Surt
Thunder Reign - Odin
Diamond Dust - Black Frost
Pants Rhei - Baal

ChrisD

There was also the Dragon Ball reference to the King Kamehameha question.

Oh yeah, that too! I just got the whole joke seeing it fully typed out here, lol. Tried to screencap to show my in-law who's a big DBZ fan, buuuut restricted scene.

It was at least a bit romantic xD
Instead
Ryugi was so hype of our popularity that he almost told some girls the truth, he was so desperate, lmao. Thanks to Yusuke to have stoped him or I would've jumped in myself to struggle him.
Oh boy, then I'm really glad that I didn't go with that. The whole "phantom this, phantom that" part of the game is extremely annoying. Like, some characters really need to shut up about it.

Speaking of disappointing scenes. Mid summer break
the beach scene was just... I mean... I guess it had a fun scene with Yusuke, but come on. Seriously Atlus, that's the best you could've come up with?

It's so weird for me to say this about a Persona game, but I wish they would've just cut out these extra parts and completely focused on the main story and palaces instead. I am not enjoying the high school/social sim parts of this game at all. Which is really crazy cause I loved those stuff in Persona 4.

About Akechi outfit, the references is simple:
- the clothes represent the prince outfit in the west (check walt dysney animes)
- the mask represent a tengu, which is a crow and this divinity is often considered has protector in japanese culture.

So his outfit represent well the fake image that Akechi was giving to the public: prince charming detective who protect them.

Exactly, his image of heroism is derived from
like Disney cartoons and shit. It's super childish and shallow.

Gluttony as a Deadly Sin is about indulging in basically anything to excess. Kaneshiro was a rich asshole who just wanted more money because apparently what he had wasn't enough. You could probably get away with changing Kaneshiro to Greed, but I don't think Okumura would work as well as Gluttony. His thing is that he's greedy for power, hence draconian control over his employees and trying to use them to rise in political influence. Obviously there's some overlap between these two Sins, but I think the game assigned them correctly.

Antiwhippy

Oh boy, then I'm really glad that I didn't go with that. The whole "phantom this, phantom that" part of the game is extremely annoying. Like, some characters really need to shut up about it.

Speaking of disappointing scenes. Mid summer break
the beach scene was just... I mean... I guess it had a fun scene with Yusuke, but come on. Seriously Atlus, that's the best you could've come up with?

It's so weird for me to say this about a Persona game, but I wish they would've just cut out these extra parts and completely focused on the main story and palaces instead. I am not enjoying the high school/social sim parts of this game at all. Which is really crazy cause I loved those stuff in Persona 4.

I think you might be alone on that.

The big events aren't as fun but the small events and interactions are much better imo.

Weiss

Banned
Post Palace six spoilers

Do you know how amazing it is to me for there to be a major villain who uses a magic psychological world for political gain? I am loving how Persona 5 is taking its narrative.

Guess Who

Banned
Post Palace six spoilers

Do you know how amazing it is to me for there to be a major villain who uses a magic psychological world for political gain? I am loving how Persona 5 is taking its narrative.

The whole narrative is
political as hell
in a way that both surprised and impressed me.

I think you might be alone on that.

The big events aren't as fun but the small events and interactions are much better imo.
The game has become a non-stop Phantom talk/praise/awe in the past few hours, to the point that I would've literally thrown out Ryuji and Mishima out of the game if I had the option.

pixxxelz

So what am supposed to do to advance ryuji sl to rank 7? Just wait? He's been stuck there for a while now I still can't advance.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Honestly, the best part of having
Goro
in your party is the line and delivery of "
My skills exceed yours!
"

And since there's a lot of
Akechi
discussion on the last few pages, I'm just going to write up a thing on him.

SPOILERS FOR THE ENTIRE GAME

It seems to me that the game decided to do something atypical with the Seven Deadly Sins in that it split Vanity off from Pride and gave it its own dungeon in Madarame, and then took Wrath and split it in half. The first half is Futaba's erroneous view of her mother, and the second half is Goro.

Goro comes across to me as someone who is severely emotionally stunted. He's meant to be the classic detective rival to the protagonist's gentleman thief, and he's even got some similar circumstances in that he's implied to be another Wild Card. But where both Goro and the Phantom Thieves are in it for revenge, Joker and crew use that drive to free other victims, whereas Goro just uses it for his own revenge and gratification. In other words, the Phantom Thieves are the righteous version of anger (hey, I just realized why the game's theme colour is red!), while Goro is what happens when that anger consumes you and leads you wrong, i.e. Wrath.

I remember him saying some stuff in his battle that made him out to be very condescending and dismissive of the Thieves' actions and circumstances, like he just couldn't move past his own victimization to transform it into righteous retribution, as they (and especially Joker, as they both got fucked over by the same person) did. And then you consider his ridiculous Metaverse outfit, Persona design, and All-Out-Attack finisher, and it's all just so... childish. The other characters' outfits and Personas mostly have this sense of grace or coherence to them, but his look like some over-the-top cheesy design you'd see in a comic aimed at elementary schoolers. And then his AOA finisher is this absurd attempt to show off and look more graceful than the other characters do, but instead it ends up super overdone and just looks ridiculous because he's clearly acting, while everyone else is honest and has actually dealt with their shit. In other words, Goro doesn't know what heroism actually looks like.

Tl;dr: Wrath is what happens when you don't have the emotional maturity to direct your anger in a constructive direction and end up fucking up everything around you instead.
Good post.
I never made the connection with Wrath and Goro. To be honest, the seven deadly sins seemed tacked on (a lot of the dungeons very tangentially dealt with these sins and most ended up being greed in the end anyway). This analysis is solid, though. Even if it wasn't the creator's intent (which it may or may not have been, I don't know).

I loved his AOA finisher, though. It was so over the top. Interestingly enough, his weapon description says it's a toy meant for small children, too.

Thud

So what am supposed to do to advance ryuji sl to rank 7? Just wait? He's been stuck there for a while now I still can't advance.
Yeah he tries to find where Yamauchi frequents, which takes time.

You should get a message that invites you to that location on
5/25

Good post.
I never made the connection with Wrath and Goro. To be honest, the seven deadly sins seemed tacked on (a lot of the dungeons very tangentially dealt with these sins and most ended up being greed in the end anyway). This anaylsis is solid, though. Even if it wasn't the creator's intent (which it may or may not have been, I don't know).

I loved his AOA finisher, though. It was so over the top. Interestingly enough, his weapon description says it's a toy meant for small children, too.
That's a good point actually, didn't notice
that both his sword and weapon are incredibly childlike. A lightsaber and a raygun. I was really confused why they went with those specifically because his outfit is very fantastical but it makes a lot of sense now lol.

Capra

Hey, so do I really have to pony up 100,000 yen for the Temperance and Fortune s-links? I have the money from fundraising in the 3rd palace, but I haven't tried to do either yet and was wondering if I should set the money aside or feel free to buy gear and medicine for the next fight.

Also having the papercraft guy who blocks physical is super helpful for this palace. Even if the Onis get lucky and wipe everyone else out, they can't do a thing about me.

pixxxelz

The airsoft shop theme is one of the best tracks in a game ever!

I need to get this ost.

Definitively my favorite so far, is called layer cake BTW in case you want to listen to it on repeat like me lol. https://youtu.be/IwPZWVEDZxk

Yeah he tries to find where Yamauchi frequents, which takes time.

You should get a message that invites you to that location on
5/25
But I'm way past that date, I'm on September already I just prioritised others confidants before him, hope I didn't screw up..

Hey, so do I really have to pony up 100,000 yen for the Temperance and Fortune s-links? I have the money from fundraising in the 3rd palace, but I haven't tried to do either yet and was wondering if I should set the money aside or feel free to buy gear and medicine for the next fight.

Also having the papercraft guy who blocks physical is super helpful for this palace. Even if the Onis get lucky and wipe everyone else out, they can't do a thing about me.

If you have the money go for it, she's one of the most useful npc's in the game.

Edit: the fortune confidant I mean.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is there a way to check what stat you need when confidants are grayed out? I forget what I needed for the
doctor
after rank 7 for example.

If theres no way in game guess I'll just check a guide.

Top Bottom