• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/257396-persona-2-eternal-punishment/faqs/15086 said:
Q: I heard you can import IS data to EP in the Japanese version.
A: Yep. (This was, of course, removed from the English version, since we never
got Innocent Sin.) Here's what comes over:
* Tatsuya's name
* Tatsuya's level/stats
* Apollo's rank and stats*
* The Karma/Carma ring if you got it
* Records of certain events (like what blew up and what didn't)
* Fusion spell data (though the components are different, they
tell you the new ones)
* Money given to the Lucky Cat Statue in Kuzunoha carries over, so you only
have to give the statue 90000 yen.
* If you opt not to have Tatsuya join Eikichi's band in IS, he can't join in
Ulala and Katsuya's flamenco contact combo (unconfirmed).

Is there no way to have the US version check my Japan fantranslation PSX save or at least use Gameshark codes to input the information from either my fantranslation or the official translation of IS into it from the start?

If not: The Karma Ring is able to be gotten normally, right? Same with the falmenco contact? Losing the Lucky Cat and Fusion Spells and Events isn't a big deal (okay the last one is a bit of a big deal but...) but I'd really want the items and contacts. :/

Also the translation is pretty rough coming from the fan translation and official translation of IS on PSP. I know it's a 1999 game but damn. Some typos in it as well.

Our latest episode is up, but may not play right now due to YouTube allegedly being overloaded with video uploads.

Please note that the few seconds that did play for me made it apparent that somehow a couple of seconds of dead air occur between the titlecard and the episode's start, so please forgive that.

Hey guys, help me out here.

This is the current state of a picture I'm working on.

Does the face look odd at all? If you sense something's off, even if you can't tell what it is that's off, it's just a feeling, let me know.

If it's still not right I'm willing to give a few more shots at correcting it before throwing in the towel. I can only draw the same pair of eyes so many times without going completely insane :p.

I have a feeling it'll look better if you moved the left eye closer to her nose. I think the fact that her eyes are just a tad too far apart right now is creating an uncanny valley effect, which is causing you to feel like something's not right.

It's a wonderful picture though, and I'd really hate for you to give up on it!

Lunar15

It looks overall fine to me, the only thing I can really point out is the left eye.

When I'm working on faces and I feel something's off, I usually cover up quarters of the face to see which area in particular looks strange.

I have a feeling it'll look better if you moved the left eye closer to her nose. I think the fact that her eyes are just a tad too far apart right now is creating an uncanny valley effect, which is causing you to feel like something's not right.

It's a wonderful picture though, and I'd really hate for you to give up on it!

It looks overall fine to me, the only thing I can really point out is the left eye.

When I'm working on faces and I feel something's off, I usually cover up quarters of the face to see which area in particular looks strange.
Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it. Lunar, I do that too, and I've known things have looked strange, but how to fix it is another thing :p.

Seems I've messed up the perspective pretty badly. I've simply shifted and enlarged the left eye here, but honestly I doubt something as simple as that is gonna magically fix it. It's probably a fundamental issue with the way I drew the original sketch. I think I'll leave it for a couple of weeks and then rework the whole head when I have fresh eyes. To be honest after making hundreds of little tweaks to the eyes alone and it still not being right, I'm pretty bummed out.

kewlmyc

Am i the only who enjoyed the extra content in P4G having played the PS2 version first?

I liked the new content. The beach scene and the epilogue were fantastic. I wasn't a fan of the band scene since I'm not a big fan of Rise (also the fact that they learned how to play instruments in a week irked me as an ex-musician). The bath scenes originally irked me, but it comes with the JRPG territory nowadays I guess.

Oh yeah, and Marie sucks. The other added social link was interesting though.

Dantis

Am i the only who enjoyed the extra content in P4G having played the PS2 version first?

A lot of people liked it. I really liked the epilogue and the January winter stuff.

Hey guys, help me out here.

This is the current state of a picture I'm working on.

Does the face look odd at all? If you sense something's off, even if you can't tell what it is that's off, it's just a feeling, let me know.

If it's still not right I'm willing to give a few more shots at correcting it before throwing in the towel. I can only draw the same pair of eyes so many times without going completely insane :p.

I'm not sure what's slightly off about the left eye, but other than that it looks absolutely amazing. Well done!

kurbaan

Banned
OMFG SCREW THIS DAMN GAME.

Just got to the part where you get the first bad ending I made sure to create 2 saves so I could go back and continue the game. After the ending it asked me to save so I did so at the second slot.

Then I looked away and I thought for some reason it was asking me to pick where to Load from so I picked my first slot.... and it didnt even ask to confirm and it just overwrote my save. WTF. 67 hours in.... lost.. WTF IS THIS man. ugh i guess there is no way to get it back and now I am really pissed and dunno if I wanna go through this game again. ugh

I'm not sure what's slightly off about the left eye, but other than that it looks absolutely amazing. Well done!

Thanks man, but as far as I'm concerned it's an absolute disaster, hahaha. Trust me to screw up the most important part after putting all that work into it.

I've taken another look at it now, I'm convinced it's not a slight issue with one eye but one side of the face is completely lopsided, like the symmetry's borked or something, really bizarre.

Well that kinda backfired, though i was also wondering:

Do you guys think Persona 4 would be a lesser game without its animated cutscenes (like people claim P3P is)?

Do you guys think Persona 4 would be a lesser game without its animated cutscenes (like people claim P3P is)?

Maybe so, but I don't think it'd be a significant loss. Correct me if I'm wrong, but with P3P I thought people were more bothered about the lack of 3D models during scenes with lots of dialogue or where important stuff happens. So for example imagine the whole culture festival part of P4 presented with no 3D, just portraits and dialogue.

cjkeats

I don;t really think so. They're nice and all, but they're weren't really that many of them in the first place and it's not like they were very long or well animated in the first place.

Basically what ShmeebAlina said. It would be a much bigger loss without the models where as it wasn't so much in P3P.

kewlmyc

Maybe so, but I don't think it'd be a significant loss. Correct me if I'm wrong, but with P3P I thought people were more bothered about the lack of 3D models during scenes with lots of dialogue or where important stuff happens. So for example imagine the whole culture festival part of P4 presented with no 3D, just portraits and dialogue.

This. I could care less about the animated cutscenes being missing in P3P. However, the 3D models acting out the scenes really impacted the story in a bad way. They could have least added event CGs to make up for it, but they didn't even bother with that.

Dantis

Thanks man, but as far as I'm concerned it's an absolute disaster, hahaha. Trust me to screw up the most important part after putting all that work into it.

I've taken another look at it now, I'm convinced it's not a slight issue with one eye but one side of the face is completely lopsided, like the symmetry's borked or something, really bizarre.

One thing I've identified is that he head might be too wide. The neck is perhaps a bit too realistic also. Soejima draws these very thin necks.
The colouring on the kimono is perfect though!

I didn't play P4 originally, but I like everything in P4G, including Marie, who I recognize is not good.

That's because you never saw it originally, where it lacked the shallow new content.

Squire

Banned
That's because you never saw it originally, where it lacked the shallow new content.

I hope you didn't attend for this post to be as condescending as it strikes me.

You say shallow, I say fun. Sometimes when stories in video games (or any other medium) aren't all serious business.

Dantis

I didn't intend for it to be at all condescending, so there you go.

Some of it was fun. The bike trip was funny. It was all very shallow though.

Sophia

Who cares if it was shallow? All that matters is that the new scenes with Hanako had me laughing my ass off at Yosuke's misfortune. :p

Squire

Banned
I didn't intend for it to be at all condescending, so there you go.

Some of it was fun. The bike trip was funny. It was all very shallow though.

Tell me, do you find semblance and meaning in every little thing you do? So what if it was shallow? Fun with friends very typically is.

Dantis

Who cares if it was shallow? All that matters is that the new scenes with Hanako had me laughing my ass off at Yosuke's misfortune. :p

I care. We've had this conversation a million times before.

It was an opportunity to do something significant and they didn't take it. I didn't like that. That's all I'm saying.

One thing I've identified is that he head might be too wide. The neck is perhaps a bit too realistic also. Soejima draws these very thin necks.
The colouring on the kimono is perfect though!
Oh God, it gets worse. The right eye is completely wrong too I'm sure. I just gotta face it man, I dun goofed good. I purposely bit off more than I could chew with this thing anyway, so I shoulda saw this coming :p. Ah well, think I'll just drop it and move onto something else.

Dantis

Oh God, it gets worse. The right eye is completely wrong too I'm sure. I just gotta face it man, I dun goofed good. I purposely bit off more than I could chew with this thing anyway, so I shoulda saw this coming :p. Ah well, think I'll just drop it and move onto something else.

WHAT.

This is why I finish up an image once I get to ten hours.

You can't give up now! It looks excellent!

Man, you're way too uptight. Way way too uptight.

SORRY FOR APPRECIATING RELEVANCE, MAN.

Sophia

I care. We've had this conversation a million times before.

It was an opportunity to do something significant and they didn't take it. I didn't like that. That's all I'm saying.

Again. Who cares? It's not like a story as self-contained as Persona 4 could add any significant additions anyhow. Almost all previous additions to any given Atlus game generally consists of shallow fanservice (Raidou in Soul Hackers) or stuff that was originally intended to in in the first place (Female Protagonist in Persona 3 Portable, most of Tatsuya's story in Persona 2.)

kewlmyc

I thought it looked great originally to be honest. I'm not a big partaker of fine art though, so take my opinion as you will.

Squire

Banned
SORRY FOR APPRECIATING RELEVANCE, MAN.

I APPRECIATE IT TOO, BRO.

I also appreciate irreverent fanservice though, which, as Sophia points out, is what these kinds of re-releases are for.

It isn't even an Atlus thing, so much as a general one.

Sophia

For what it's worth, these scenes aren't irrelevant at all anyhow. They establish character, and they're the reason people liked Persona 4 so much in the first place.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is there a map bonus in P2:EP PSX? I remember CJ talking about there being a bonus if you cover the entire map(s) of the dungeons which isn't there in IS. But I can't seem to understand how they would do this if they don't mark the steps you took like they do in IS PSP. :/

Dantis

For what it's worth, these scenes aren't irrelevant at all anyhow. They establish character, and they're the reason people liked Persona 4 so much in the first place.

The original scenes establish character. The new ones do not.

EDIT: Keep in mind that I don't even care about these scenes. I'm not saying "Oh, these are terrible and game-ruining!". I just consider them (Mostly) inoffensive fluff, and feel that the game was more concentrated without them. They dilute the flow.

Sophia

The original scenes establish character. The new ones do not.

Not only are you speaking entirely for yourself, but you're also wrong. Things like Yukiko's love of horror movies and Chie's fear of thunder were things established in the new scene in Golden. It even ties into their Personae; It's only natural that someone who loves horror movies as much as Yukiko would get Mudo skills.

EDIT: Keep in mind that I don't even care about these scenes. I'm not saying "Oh, these are terrible and game-ruining!". I just consider them (Mostly) inoffensive fluff, and feel that the game was more concentrated without them. They dilute the flow.

They're world building scenes. Something that essential to writing good characters and a story. More importantly, they're also largely added in where the story's flow was near-unanimously agreed to be at its weakest in the original game. The only exception to this would be Marie's social link, and maybe the new epilogue depending on how cynical you want to be. :p

Dantis

It always manages to surprise me how much hatred you have for P4G's new content.

Can't wait to see your meltdown if P5 doesn't live up expectations.

The only parts of Persona anything that I hate are the bath house scenes and certain aspects of Arena.

A lot of the time it probably looks like I hate something when I'm critical of it. In fact, it's just that I'm being critical. Persona 3 and 4 are probably my favourite games of all time, and I know them pretty much back to front. I just don't discuss everything I love about them because they're not good points of discussion (Also "EVERYTHING EVERYTHING EVERYTHING" probably wouldn't be seen as a strong analysis of a game's positive aspects). Criticisms are.

The new scenes in Golden are like the ad break in a TV show to me. They're nothing. They're just filled time that I ignore. I don't hate them and I don't like them.

They're world building scenes. Something that essential to writing good characters and a story. More importantly, they're also largely added in where the story's flow was near-unanimously agreed to be at its weakest in the original game. The only exception to this would be Marie's social link, and maybe the new epilogue depending on how cynical you want to be. :p

I disagree with all of this, but this conversation is silly, so we should just drop it.

Not possible. Everyone will rejoice when P5 is announced.

TUESDAY TUESDAY TUESDAY!

cjkeats

Persona 5 is now a mobile F2P game. Random social links and party members for $3.99 each.

You joke, but I bet we could get purchasable party members. Nothing to do with the story or anything, just there for kicks. Characters from old games or something.

Dantis

You're a fan of Persona 1? Just wondering. I'm playing through it now, and just... ugh.

I imagine I'd hate the PS1 version, but I really enjoyed the PSP one.

Obviously, I loved the new Meguro OST. Some of it is really excellent. I also really liked that you can hold circle to sprint through dungeons. It made them really snappy to navigate, and the footstep noise is weirdly satisfying. Battles are easily the weakest in the series, but they're harmless and pretty short. I thought the ending was superb (And VERY Persona-esque) and most of the story was really cool.

The only part I didn't like was negotiation, so I just used a guide on GFAQs for it. No reason to mess around like a sucker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom