• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantis

I recognize P1 and P3 characters in that image, no P2 exclusive characters

But realistically, no you don't.

;)

EDIT: Completely random side-note: What are everyone's favourite costumes from Fire Emblem Awakening? I feel like drawing a Persona character dressed as a FEA character.

Fire Emblem spoilers:
Naoto as Lucina is probably too obvious. ;)

Levito

Banned
We were unaware you disliked Persona 4 Arena, Dantis. You've been so quiet about it until this revelation.

P4A-2 needs to really dig into the old Waifu gods of yore.

Dantis

We were unaware you disliked Persona 4 Arena, Dantis. You've been so quiet about it until this revelation.

P4A-2 needs to really dig into the old Waifu gods of yore.

I actually meant all the lore stuff. Persona resonance, and the nonsense explanations for everything.

I feel like I don't need to know. Generally, these things are added without a logical justification, and adding one comes off as ham-fisted.

Squire

Banned
I actually meant all the lore stuff. Persona resonance, and the nonsense explanations for everything.

I feel like I don't need to know. Generally, these things are added without a logical justification, and adding one comes off as ham-fisted.

Good news then: You don't need to play either!

The rest of us will be in the online lobby. Everybody wind!

Persona resonance has been around since the Persona 2 days, bro.

Since we're apparently blowing people's minds now, I just thought I should inform you guys that I like Junpei and Persona 4 Golden a lot.

I KNOW IT'S A SHOCKER BUT I JUST HAD TO PUT IT OUT THERE

;)

EDIT: Completely random side-note: What are everyone's favourite costumes from Fire Emblem Awakening? I feel like drawing a Persona character dressed as a FEA character.

Fire Emblem spoilers:

several P1 characters have their P1 poses in their p2 attire in that picture.

Jintor

Yup, as I've said before they leave far too much up to interpretation/debate in Persona 4, and when dealing with a character's identity, there shouldn't be any interpretation. At least not when dealing with minorities.

I actually disagree with this, but as a more general thing regarding writing; it's impossible to make anything fictional that doesn't rely on observer interpretation. You can try and make things more clear, but there's no way you can avoid the role of the viewer.

I have reserved spots for the Bakercast and the Baileycast

cjkeats

Fire Emblem spoilers:

Ouuu I love stuff like this. One of the guys over in k-onGAF drew all the characters in that as FEA characters. Came out very nice.

I think Yukkio as Tharja or Sumia would work. Kanji as Brady or maybe Owain. P3P mc as Chrom. Rise as Olvia or Cynthia. Naoto could fit in Noire's outfit too.
Cordelia and Cherche had nice outfits too, not sure who'd look good in them though.

Ouuu I love stuff like this. One of the guys over in k-onGAF drew all the characters in that as FEA characters. Came out very nice.

I think Yukkio as Tharja or Sumia would work. Kanji as Brady or maybe Owain. P3P mc as Chrom. Rise as Olvia or Cynthia. Naoto could fit in Noire's outfit too.
Cordelia and Cherche had nice outfits too, not sure who'd look good in them though.

Junpei in Donnel's outfit or GTFO.

Your picks are all good too ;P

Lunar15

Yup, as I've said before they leave far too much up to interpretation/debate in Persona 4, and when dealing with a character's identity, there shouldn't be any interpretation. At least not when dealing with minorities.

I disagree in terms of the context of the character arc they were trying to portray. Had kanji's issues stemmed from not knowing his sexual orientation, I would agree. But I feel that they made it clear that his orientation was not, in fact, what was bothering him, but that he hadn't learned to be confident in whatever he did choose. It was the softer side of himself that he rejected, the homosexual overtones were merely society's expectations of who a sensitive person should be.

I think it's a think that's relatively understated by fans. Ultimately, it doesn't matter whether he's gay or not. It's whether he can express himself in the way he wants without conforming to some extreme (hard-ass punk or egregiously flaming homosexual). I think fans narrowed in on the homosexual portion because it's such a hot button issue right now. But in reality, it was a much more subdued theme.

I could be wrong, of course. I just think the people who desperately desire him to be one way or another are kind of missing the point of his struggle. The people who found the depictions of homosexuals to be damning are right, however. But I think it was intended to be ridiculous: They're not the game's opinion of how gay men act, it was how the media and society think gay men act. A dark parody, if you will. All of the shadows are extremes built out of each character's own unwillingness to accept something in themselves, but ALSO society's warped ideas about what they should be.

The characters have gotten more fashionable as they've gone on. Portable's, Catherine's and Golden's (New costumes) were all incredibly stylish. 3's are easily the least stylish (Minus P3MC).

I'm expecting P5's characters to look cool as fuck.

EDIT: I mean just look at this. And then look at like, anything else in a videogame.

Soejima runs rings around most character designers, that is damn true. Slick and a master of that subtle clueing in that Japanese art directors were once the undisputed kings at. Those little touches giving hints and clues to their personality, or depth to what you do know.

I disagree in terms of the context of the character arc they were trying to portray. Had kanji's issues stemmed from not knowing his sexual orientation, I would agree. But I feel that they made it clear that his orientation was not, in fact, what was bothering him, but that he hadn't learned to be confident in whatever he did choose. It was the softer side of himself that he rejected, the homosexual overtones were merely society's expectations of who a sensitive person should be.

I think it's a think that's relatively understated by fans. Ultimately, it doesn't matter whether he's gay or not. It's whether he can express himself in the way he wants without conforming to some extreme (hard-ass punk or egregiously flaming homosexual). I think fans narrowed in on the homosexual portion because it's such a hot button issue right now. But in reality, it was a much more subdued theme.

I could be wrong, of course. I just think the people who desperately desire him to be one way or another are kind of missing the point of his struggle. The people who found the depictions of homosexuals to be damning are right, however. But I think it was intended to be ridiculous: They're not the game's opinion of how gay men act, it was how the media and society think gay men act. A dark parody, if you will. All of the shadows are extremes built out of each character's own unwillingness to accept something in themselves, but ALSO society's warped ideas about what they should be.

This and the fact Jun is forgotten by those adamant for that to happen puts much of the Kanji/Naoto thing in a bad light with me. I am very wary of video game narratives becoming afterschool specials and what that would entail.

Jintor

Afterschool specials are the first step on the road to normalisation... although, honestly, you could probably just skip straight to the normalisation bit these days, if you had a good enough writer.

Squire

Banned
This and the fact Jun is forgotten by those adamant for that to happen puts much of the Kanji/Naoto thing in a bad light with me. I am very wary of video game narratives becoming afterschool specials and what that would entail.

It's much much more likely those people simply haven't played a Persona 2.

So GAF, is it worth buying P4 Arena now? Or should I wait till I play P4G/P4?

It takes place after P4, but there isn't any overt plot spoilage that I remember.

Edit: The P4 side is kind of based on you knowing about those characters quirks though, so it's more fun if you play P4 first. There are flat out P3 end game spoilers throughout.

Caladrius

;)

Fire Emblem spoilers:

I'm thinking Teddie as Inigo or Mitsuru as Cordelia.

Since I missed the FE:A crossover conversation might as well start another one

I wish there was more Zero Escape x Persona art, Phaigis makes sooo much sense to me, two of my favorite characters in gaming

BasilZero

Play P4 then P3 first to avoid any possible spoilers and to get to know the cast.

Thanks and @everyone else who responded.

I've already played P3P and enjoyed it.

I'll be getting P4G sometime later this year when I get a Vita (hopefully ;p).

Marche90

Maybe it's time to let it go and resign myself to watch the P4A story mode in Youtube...

Fire Emblem spoilers:
To the spoiled content: fits even more when you remember
Naoto with her hairstyle of the non-canon nove and the lenght of Lucina's hairl

Favorite costumes? The Hero-class costume is pretty good, as are the Myrmidon/Swordmaster costumes too. For characters: Lon'qu, Cordelia, Tharja, Anna, Tiki, Owain, Gerome... though f I can cheat, the DLC artwork of Ephraim is pretty great too.

Somehow, I think that Narukami would fit as the FE:A MC >.>

jaxword

I'm not saying it's not worth playing, but I'd be leery about paying $20-30 for it.

Yeah, you should pay 50 for 60 for it.

It's a fine game and well done and fun to play with friends.

Also, the music remixes make it worthwhile.

Support Atlas and buy it!

Levito

Banned
Yeah I really don't feel like going into why there's some problematic content with regards to Naoto/Kanji again. Fair enough if you don't believe there's anything wrong with regards to the portrayal of those characters, that's all I have to say about that for the time being.

Also to everyone bringing up Jun: Remember Persona 2 wasn't written by the same people that wrote Persona 3/4.

Oh and Aigis's storyline in Arena is pretty fucking awesome. It's quite a fun game. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom