• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, grinding for cards is getting really annoying. If I stop trying to summon Personas entirely after I get my 70 temperance, will I still be able to complete this game? Are you guys really serious when you say Personas are entirely not needed because the game is that easy? The grinding and random encounters is starting to really get on my nerves.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You can get by with the starting personae and customs for a while, yes.

Speaking of which: EP low level run seems damn near impossible to do in the PSX US version. Level 8 and the
Hellhound
is kicking my ass with the starter Personae. :/ May need to grind and summon a few Personae in the Velvet room to grind up for this battle. Ugh.

Sophia

You can get by with the starting personae and customs for a while, yes.

Speaking of which: EP low level run seems damn near impossible to do in the PSX US version. Level 8 and the
Hellhound
is kicking my ass with the starter Personae. :/ May need to grind and summon a few Personae in the Velvet room to grind up for this battle. Ugh.

The Hellhound is the bane of all low level runs, yeah. Luckily he has a weakness to water.

Meia

Don't bother with pacts, just get the tarot cards and move on.

Actually going to disagree with this, as there are a few times in the faq where you need to use Free Cards, and the only way to get them is with negotiations after having a pact with them.

For the most part, anytime I knew I needed specific cards because of the FAQ, or I needed to negotiate to get a demon out of the way/be less annoying in the dungeon, I always formed a pact with it, just because. Don't worry about the three demon limit with it, most demons aren't seen from one dungeon to the next.

Welp, got Apollo Justice in the mail, here's hoping I actually like it. Also started buying the original Ace Attorney games, just cause.

TheSeks

The Hellhound is the bane of all low level runs, yeah. Luckily he has a weakness to water.

Does he
? I've been using Fusion Spells with Earth for 130 damage or so which is good but they outpace my mix of fusion + healing. Since Maya is the only one with healing and that spell right now I guess that's impossible unless I solo?

Welp, got Apollo Justice in the mail, here's hoping I actually like it. Also started buying the original Ace Attorney games, just cause.

Wait until you play the first three before playing Apollo, IMO. Then do Edgeworth 1/2 (if this ever gets fantranslated. >:|) then AA5.

Sophia

Does he
? I've been using Fusion Spells with Earth for 130 damage or so which is good but they outpace my mix of fusion + healing. Since Maya is the only one with healing and that spell right now I guess that's impossible unless I solo?

The fusion spell Stone Rise is one way to do him in. Some people prefer mutating Maya's starter to get Diarahan, which makes healing pretty easy as Katsuya rarely takes any damage. That's time consuming tho.

Meia

Wait until you play the first three before playing Apollo, IMO. Then do Edgeworth 1/2 (if this ever gets fantranslated. >:|) then AA5.

Nono, I bought and played through the HD collection thingy on iOS already, just decided to buy the physical original games since I liked it so much. Will probably buy VLR someday for the same reason. And I welcome my new von Karma overlords(Fran = best character).

This paycheck bought Apollo + 1st AA, probably buy Edgeworth + 2nd AA this coming one, and then 3rd AA the last one. Overnight stocking is painful on the body, but good on the wallet. :p

Actually going to disagree with this, as there are a few times in the faq where you need to use Free Cards, and the only way to get them is with negotiations after having a pact with them.

For the most part, anytime I knew I needed specific cards because of the FAQ, or I needed to negotiate to get a demon out of the way/be less annoying in the dungeon, I always formed a pact with it, just because. Don't worry about the three demon limit with it, most demons aren't seen from one dungeon to the next.

Yeah, but the problem I was running into getting the temperance cards in that FAQ is that I spent an hour running circles in the lobby of the Mu building or one of the dungeons trying to encounter the enemy that gives me them, and they NEVER appeared except once, and then those follow up questions that sometimes appear resulted in me angering him, so I still didn't get any cards. Luckily, I had enough free cards, but now I only have about 50 free cards left for whenever I do the next round of grinding for cards.

I guess what i'm saying is this card/negotiation thing is dumb dumb dumb.

Question: is there a way to check what demons I currently have pacts with so I know which to engage with in battle? Or, do I just have to remember them myself?

Meia: what was your favorite of the trilogy? Mine is Justice for All. I final case is my favorite in the series, and I personally got a little bored with the entire overarching plot of the third game (though it had some great puzzles in it).

Meia

The last case of Justice for All was certainly the most intense thing I've played through in awhile. Was weird seeing Phoenix just flat out freaking out at times, especially with the head in hands pose. I'd probably give the slight edge to the last case of Trials and Tribulations though. In fact, I think that game was the only one that didn't have a case I didn't like, so I'd probably say it was my favorite, cause screw the circus case of JFA.

The card/negotiation thing took some getting used to for me, but I somewhat liked it. Just a lot of trial and error at first on what demons want to hear, even with the guide sometimes(as the FAQ does include a section for negotiation). And yeah, that Mu building was the WORST stretch of getting cards in the game.

TheSeks

The fusion spell Stone Rise is one way to do him in. Some people prefer mutating Maya's starter to get Diarahan, which makes healing pretty easy as Katsuya rarely takes any damage. That's time consuming tho.

Yeah, Maya's starter mutated to get Diarahan.

I DID IT! After like 5-15 attempts I took the sumbitch down with Katsuya the last one standing. Maya went down after healing him and her while they were poisoned and Ulala went down first. I got maybe one or two Stone Rises off and one or two Aqua's off inbetween panic healing.

Katsuya basically used all his SP using Single Shot (2 SP left for 11 damage each round) and then when it was him and the boss the boss went crazy on fire and didn't physical attack (whew, that would've killed Katsuya) and finished him with his starter pistol.

Katsuya leveled up. The other two in the party, nope.

Squire

Banned
Erin does the voice of the sorceress? haha, awesome.

Speaking of DC, have any of you been co-oping yet?

I haven't played the game at all since before launch, but when I did the online was craaaaaaazy smooth.

Like, easily some of the best netcode this generation. You can barely even tell you're online.

Astra

I haven't played the game at all since before launch, but when I did the online was craaaaaaazy smooth.

Like, easily some of the best netcode this generation. You can barely even tell you're online.

Niiice. Was that the PS3 or Vita version?

I got the Vita version. I hope it doesn't kill my hands while playing it. I may have to get one of those Nyko power grips.

Field

I just finished the Journey part of Persona 3 FES. Should I move on to Persona 4G instead of playing the Answer? Is it much harder and mainly combat? Maybe I should watch the story parts on youtube?

I just finished the Journey part of Persona 3 FES. Should I move on to Persona 4G instead of playing the Answer? Is it much harder and mainly combat? Maybe I should watch the story parts on youtube?

Your call, I recommend the answer since the journey will be fresh in your head, it is all combat with narrative in between, it's not really that much harder.

Squire

Banned
Niiice. Was that the PS3 or Vita version?

I got the Vita version. I hope it doesn't kill my hands while playing it. I may have to get one of those Nyko power grips.

Reviewers got both. They're both excellent online. Glad to hear you went with the Vits version though. It's definitely meant for that system.

Yeah, Maya's starter mutated to get Diarahan.

I DID IT! After like 5-15 attempts I took the sumbitch down with Katsuya the last one standing. Maya went down after healing him and her while they were poisoned and Ulala went down first. I got maybe one or two Stone Rises off and one or two Aqua's off inbetween panic healing.

Katsuya basically used all his SP using Single Shot (2 SP left for 11 damage each round) and then when it was him and the boss the boss went crazy on fire and didn't physical attack (whew, that would've killed Katsuya) and finished him with his starter pistol.

Katsuya leveled up. The other two in the party, nope.

You need to switch Personas ASAP dude. The starters start sucking the moment you step out of Seventh. Grab Tengu for Maya and slap Aques on it and you're good for the next 2 dungeons at the very least. Surya is a solid choice for Katsuya and Ulala can get by with Nekomata for the time being. It's only gonna get harder if you remain stubborn about switching stuff around.

Trigger

It's essentially one long dungeon with some story bits. If FES was too much of a grind then you won't lose anything by choosing to youtube it.

Sophia

You need to switch Personas ASAP dude. The starters start sucking the moment you step out of Seventh. Grab Tengu for Maya and slap Aques on it and you're good for the next 2 dungeons at the very least. Surya is a solid choice for Katsuya and Ulala can get by with Nekomata for the time being. It's only gonna get harder if you remain stubborn about switching stuff around.

This isn't entirely true. Maya's starter is pretty competent for a little bit and Katsuya's starter nulls fire which is useful early on. Ulala and Baofu's starters are crap however.

This isn't entirely true. Maya's starter is pretty competent for a little bit and Katsuya's starter nulls fire which is useful early on. Ulala and Baofu's starters are crap however.

It's their spells that matter, not their resistances at this point. You gain access to Aques really early and it really ups your damage potential. Bosses take forever with the starters. You should switch personas every 2 dungeons or so, starting from the second one.

PK Gaming

Haha

I love how you guys are starting Persona 2:EP right as i'm about to finish my run. I'm on the final dungeon (and its huuuuuuuuge)

johnsmith

remember me
sup brosuke
jOuFX3k.jpg

Erin does the voice of the sorceress? haha, awesome.

Speaking of DC, have any of you been co-oping yet?
Yeah I played a brief bit of online co-op earlier today, I got a match with a japanese player, though with both of us being Sorceress we did get some framerate dips due to large spells happening at the same time. That said, they weren't game breaking dips in the slightest. Also I'm surprised how well the netcode was. Worked really good.

Guess what time it is? Yes, after a day's hiatus, the Excellent Adventure is back with a longer episode! Well, a bit longer. Three minutes longer.

This is something I need to catch up on, since I was busy the past couple of days I haven't been able to watch the more recent episodes, so I'll get on this shortly.

Levito

Banned
So who's all playing Dragon's Crown on PS3? I haven't decided if I'll get it yet or not, but add me on PSN if you have the game on PS3. (PSN: Levito1)

Dantis

On the plus side, if Nintendo bought Atlus (lol), your Wii U would be good for something Dantis-kun

Sure would!

It's not happening though.

More like you never draw them. :(

Ayase's my favorite P1 character.

Soejima's Persona 2 style actually isn't too far from my own stuff, so I'd probably be able to swing that.

Never drawn anything Kaneko style though.

Or I guess I could asapt them to a Persona 4 style. But man, that could be character-ruining.

cj_iwakura

So who's all playing Dragon's Crown on PS3? I haven't decided if I'll get it yet or not, but add me on PSN if you have the game on PS3. (PSN: Levito1)

It's poetry in motion, you really should. PSN: cj_iwakura

Vanillaware games always have that extra layer of polish, and playing one in HD is wonderful.

Also, whoever said that Yukari should be who I draw in the DC elf outfit made a good call. It's not finished, but it looks neat, I think.

Best choice ;p.

The pose is real neat, but her legs are looking rather short, especially if you're going off Persona proportions.

By the way, Scrafty was spot-on about the uncanny valley effect in my last drawing. I whipped something new up in a couple of hours to practice, in a more natural style so it looks a little more realistic, and my god I flew head first into it. Freakin creepy. Hilarious, but creepy :p.

Dantis

Best choice ;p.

The pose is real neat, but her legs are looking rather short, especially if you're going off Persona proportions.

By the way, Scrafty was spot-on about the uncanny valley effect in my last drawing. I whipped something new up in a couple of hours to practice, in a more natural style so it looks a little more realistic, and my god I flew head first into it. Freakin creepy. Hilarious, but creepy :p.

You're right. I'll give it a look after my dinner.

Have you finished with your Aigis picture then?

You're right. I'll give it a look after my dinner.

Have you finished with your Aigis picture then?

I dropped it, yeah. It's beyond help at my current level. I haven't given up on doing one right though. It's made it very clear the area I need to work on, I'll practice drawing faces until I can draw them well consistently, then I'll attempt something new.

That's not madness, best to work on stuff you know you're no good at rather than getting stuck in a rut. I don't know how long I spent on it. I could hazard a guess, but then you would call me mad :p. No regrets though, learned some new techniques.

Levito

Banned
It's poetry in motion, you really should. PSN: cj_iwakura

Vanillaware games always have that extra layer of polish, and playing one in HD is wonderful.

Really can't decide, it looks great but I have a feeling it be like Borderlands where most people drop it after a week.

wmlk

This is my first post on GAF.

Just wanna say I'm having a ball of a time with Persona 4. Sadly, some shmucks may have spoiled the ending for me on YouTube. I was just searching for music and possibly the biggest spoiler in the game popped up in the suggestions.

Regardless, I picked up the game anyway and I started playing two weeks ago. Just saved Rise! Here's hoping Persona 5 is announced soon.

Trigger

This is my first post on GAF.

Just wanna say I'm having a ball of a time with Persona 4. Sadly, some shmucks may have spoiled the ending for me on YouTube. I was just searching for music and possibly the biggest spoiler in the game popped up in the suggestions.

Regardless, I picked up the game anyway and I started playing two weeks ago. Just saved Rise! Here's hoping Persona 5 is announced soon.

Next Tuesday is the day.

Oh and Welcome to GAF.

Marche90

I wouldn't read too much into it if I were you. Treat it more like an inside joke. We always say that the next Tuesday is the day that Persona 5 gets announced, since that is the day when the Famitsu news hit the web.

EDIT: Also, welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom