• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squire

Banned
I see you can't image right, me thinks

AA_Franziska_von_Karma_Shocked.gif

Astra

Here's the ultimate therapeutic experience: listen to both of these at he same time and feel your troubles flow away like tears in rain.

Real talk: I had to study Waiting For Godot for one semester in high school, and it was the best semester of all time. Wonderful play, that one.

snap059414.jpg

Really though, they do mix together amazingly well. Even the thunder seems to come right on cue.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
And, should I really bother with the first Persona game if I really am finding the encounter rate too high, the random encounters frustrating, and the negotiations/pacts kind of a chore? I'm really only playing through 2 because of its high stature for fans. Is the original game held in high regard for its story/plot/characters?

Put 30 hours into persona 1 before starting 2 over the last few weeks. Only reason at this point to bother is just to see the minor connections. There have been zero direct plot connections that I have seen thus far, just a lot of cameos.

Persona 1 is a lot more bearable in combat and negotiations though. No loading transitions for fights, negotiations can be mashed through instantly, combat damage numbers and attacks pop in far faster as well. It's a far more pleasant gameplay experience, but still suffers from very dated quirks of its own.

Unless you really are itching for historical curiosity it's still a pass. Story isn't memorable, characters are better in p2, and the continuity has just been minor wink and nod stuff in p2 from what I've seen. You won't get a fulfilling combat game either, just a faster one.

Sophia

You mean the half-assed bastard child of Persona and Wizardry didn't do well in an era where only the highest polished JRPGs tend to succeed?! I am awed at this. Just awed I tell ya!

Yikes! It did worse than Killer is Dead. Only 15,575.

Lunar15

I also use guides for a lot of older JRPG's. There's a lot of jank in there that I want to skip over, particularly if the story is the main draw. I won't usually look up a boss before I fight it but if I lose a couple of times, yeah, I'll look up strategy.

Is it the most organic way to play a game? Nah. But I've only got so much time to spend on this stuff anymore.

Also, pretty sure most everyone here had to use a guide or ask someone to find out how to get to the true ending in P4. That, or you were either really really perceptive or really really lucky.

Meia

I also use guides for a lot of older JRPG's. There's a lot of jank in there that I want to skip over, particularly if the story is the main draw. I won't usually look up a boss before I fight it but if I lose a couple of times, yeah, I'll look up strategy.

Is it the most organic way to play a game? Nah. But I've only got so much time to spend on this stuff anymore.\

Also, pretty sure most everyone here had to use a guide or ask someone to find out how to get to the true ending in P4. That, or you were either really really perceptive or really really lucky.

Very much this. Now that I have a 95 hour a week workweek, I take what game time I can get. For games like Phoenix Wright for example, I set aside like a half hour for myself before I'll look up the one step to progress things forward.

For P2:IS, I also used the spoiler free walkthrough, cause not using a guide for 1(since there really weren't any *good* ones), it took me half a month just to slog through it, and this was after trying and failing at least 2 times before. Sadly, not as good of a guide for EP, but I'll get through it, though I know it'll just take longer. Already the UI downgrade is one big strike.

Hey, tables, scales, cat road signs, it's all about that deep symbolism maaan~

There's something about some of the character's faces that's kind of grating too, not sure what it is about them.

Caladrius

There's something about some of the character's faces that's kind of grating too, not sure what it is about them.

It's either their (lack of) skin tone or their mouths. It makes them look flat and ghostly. Pity, I would like the delinquent's (admittedly over the top) design otherwise.

Field

Your call, I recommend the answer since the journey will be fresh in your head, it is all combat with narrative in between, it's not really that much harder.

I decided to play it. I have one question, I know that there is no compendium but will I be able to buy weapons and armor at some point or is money useless in the answer?

Dantis

The complete lack of appeal?

It's a tremendously ugly art style.

Yeah, you can tell this is not the product of a loving development team. They couldn't even be bothered to model enemies on the field. It looks like a goddamn placeholder icon.

Also of note: Two of the three characters have exactly the same eye style.

That honestly looks like it could be a sign on the road lol

Levito

Banned
So here's a question for you all:

If Persona 5 is a PS3 game, will you hold off on getting a PS4 or Xbox One? That's assuming you where going to get either console at or close to launch.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

If Persona 5 is a PS3 game, will you hold off on getting a PS4 or Xbox One? That's assuming you where going to get either console at or close to launch.

Considering I am getting a PS4 and GT6.

I think that answers your question.

But let's face facts here, it IS going to be a PS3 game.

I'm not entirely sure when I'm getting a PS4 (hopefully sometime in the first year of it's lifespan), but P5 being on PS3 would not affect that at all for me really. If anything I'd prefer it be on PS3 so I could get the game earlier, as it being on PS4 would not speed up when I get the 4, just a case of "Oh look, this is a game you'll have to get once you get the new system", or maybe I'll buy the game before I get the PS4 similar to what I did with Golden (I bought Golden before I got my Vita because I was already planning on getting a Vita at that point).

tl;dr, P5 being on PS3 would not affect when I'd get a PS4. I'll still try to get a PS4 within the first year.

Meia

I've never bought a console at launch, ever. If anything, since I'm still using a near launch PS3 with a 60gb HDD(since I don't know how to put a new one in myself), I'm more likely to buy a new PS3 first anyway.

All things considered, I've bought a Vita strictly for Persona 4 Golden, a port of a game I had already put in at least 400 hours into, so I will buy whatever console 5 is on. Oh I'll grumble about it, as I'm handing out the monies.

cjkeats

No, not at all. I see no reason too, if you want a PS4 or Xbox One right away, it's not because you think P5 is on it anyways.

kewlmyc

No, I play things other than Persona. I'm getting both at launch.

Levito

Banned
For me a I don't have that much time to play games all that much anymore, so I can hold off on new consoles for a while. Plus if P5 is on the PS3 then I don't really feel the need to upgrade till games like Destiny are out.(Yes I know Destiny is on current gen)

Also kind of cautious about buying a lunch system again, never seems to work out. I have a PS4 pre-ordered, but if P5 is a PS3 game, I'm may cancel that pre-order.

Also, FFX HD is the game I want to play the most this fall.

Caladrius

I've been on the fence about canceling my PS4 preorder because of that. (Well, that and I may not have enough money to buy the games I want this holiday if I don't. Saint's Row 4 plus Pogeymanz and college money are killing me.)

pariah164

Could you Nuzlocke a Persona game?

- You can only attain one Persona per floor/per dungeon via shuffle
- You can't use the Compendium

Aside from those two rules, I'm not sure how it would work.

Also, I see these adorable chibi icons everywhere of different Persona (Cybele, Shiki-Ouji). If anyone knows were I can find one of Alice or Isis, I'd love you forever.

Young Magus

Yea, I was already holding of getting a next gen system in the first place. That would just make my decision even better.

tumblr_mr7udgf9P31rqu9xgo1_500.png

Should have posted this ages ago, oh well!

1.) Nice pic
2.) When the hell you changed your avatar?

And finally, I have a question for you all Persona-GAF: What games are you all playing or waiting for this month? I'm pulling double duty with Tales of Xilla and Dragon's Crown, soon to be triple when Mario and Luigi hits sunday. What about you all?

Meia

Yea, I was already holding of getting a next gen system in the first place. That would just make my decision even better.

1.) Nice pic

And finally, I have a question for you all Persona-GAF: What games are you all playing or waiting for this month? I'm pulling double duty with Tales of Xilla and Dragon's Crown, soon to be triple when Mario and Luigi hits sunday. What about you all?

Well, I pre-ordered the statue version of Xilia months ago, forgot about it, then got a package in the mail today with it. Am now debating whether to make this my first Tales game I ever play when I have Vesperia over there glaring at me. Then I'm alternating between Apollo Justice, Luigi's Mansion, and SMT4. I'm all over the freaking place.

cjkeats

I was excited for Xilla, but I'm broke so I'm playing Graces instead. lol.
For the rest of the month, there'll be Saints Row IV and Divekick to hold me over until Project Diva F.

Levito

Banned

Started playing Dragon's Crown last night, been playing P4: Arena as well.

Only other game I'm getting this month is Hate Plus.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Only waiting for Saints Row 4.

Caladrius

Playing Pikmin 3 and SMT IV, waiting for Saint's row IV. Looking for a third game with the Roman Numeral IV.

kewlmyc

I'm currently about 8 hours into Xillia. It's great. I'll probably also be getting Saints Row IV and Dragon's Crown somewhere down the line.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Ok I just hit the point in Persona 2 IS where the plot gets completely unhinged...halfway completed spoilers below.

Just finished the mt. Inaba dungeon and got all 4 masks. Now at first I really kinda dug the crazed ramblings of the teacher discussing aliens, hitler resurrection, buried spacecraft in Tokyo, and hellgates bringing the apocalypse. It was great that the party wrote all of that lunacy off and the story got a little more grounded and character driven detailing their past and potential reasoning as to who and what joker is. Nice callback to the 'persona' game from p1 as well...

But now all that crazy shit is real? Tokyo is invaded by armies of mechs led by resurrected hitler to find the holy grail and gain alien powers???

Wtf...I can't tell yet if this is the worst plot in a game or the absolute best. Probably both...ill keep chugging along.

Musolf815

Diddling a bit in SMTIV, working through AC New Leaf, playing P3 and P4A, and going through a Mass Effect replay. I've been playing more P4G again honestly. And by again I mean I haven't really stopped playing it.

I'm moody about my games, like I have a big back log but I don't mind it, when I'm in the mood for a game I'll push through it, in the meantime I don't mind having it occupy shelf or hard drive space.

Squire

Banned
I want a PS4 inside year one, but maybe not launch. First game I really want is InFamous and there are also still a few current-gen games I want. Waiting until next fall when Dragon Age and (presumably) MGSV are out, wouldn't exactly be the worst decision I've made.

This month is all about Saints Row IV. Also: #divekick. I also want to play Brothers: A Tsle of Two Sons.

But before all of that: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials & Tribulations. (I'm almost done with Justice For All.)

Ok I just hit the point in Persona 2 IS where the plot gets completely unhinged...halfway completed spoilers below.

Wtf...I can't tell yet if this is the worst plot in a game or the absolute best. Probably both...ill keep chugging along.

lol, I just got to that part last night. This game is nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom