• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Field

So here's a question for you all:

If Persona 5 is a PS3 game, will you hold off on getting a PS4 or Xbox One? That's assuming you where going to get either console at or close to launch.

It wouldn't really matter to me since I'm not planning on getting rid of my PS3. I have PS4 pre-ordered.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
And it only gets better.

Yea, I'm still engaged but I was not expecting it to be so silly. The intense cinematic intro and all the chatter led me to think this was a bit more mature and 'SMT' esque in terms of narrative and plotting. I've still got plenty more to see, but you really have to appreciate this ironically or nostalgically I suppose. It really is just a bunch of nonsense. Without the community praise I probably would have dropped it hours ago.

Sophia

Yea, I'm still engaged but I was not expecting it to be so silly. The intense cinematic intro and all the chatter led me to think this was a bit more mature and 'SMT' esque in terms of narrative and plotting. I've still got plenty more to see, but you really have to appreciate this ironically or nostalgically I suppose. It really is just a bunch of nonsense. Without the community praise I probably would have dropped it hours ago.

Just keep playing. It's all for a great payoff later. :D

The nonsense makes sense in the context of the rules of the game, believe it or not!

Levito

Banned
This Persona 2 is nonsense topic is reminding me of Armada ripping into SMT IV last night.

Seriously, when the SMT IV episode happens, watch out for that guy. :p

It wouldn't really matter to me since I'm not planning on getting rid of my PS3. I have PS4 pre-ordered.

Neither am I, I only posed question to see really to see if people are already completely invested in the next gen systems.

This Persona 2 is nonsense topic is reminding me of Armada ripping into SMT IV last night.

Seriously, when the SMT IV episode happens, watch out for that guy.

Oh boy. I wish he posted here more, I would love to see his opinions on it.

BTW, SMTIV took Persona 4 off my top 5 Megatens. Now its : SMT Nocturne > P2 EP > SMTIV > Soul Hackers > P2 IS. Persona 4 sits just off the top 5, at 6.

PK Gaming

So I finished Persona 2: Eternal Punishment

I'll posts my thoughts later, but as right now. Wow. That ending was beautiful.
Overall, I think I liked the plot of Eternal Punishment a lot better than Innocent Sin.

Everything comes full circle ♪

So I finished Persona 2: Eternal Punishment

I'll posts my thoughts later, but as right now. Wow. That ending was beautiful.
Overall, I think I liked the plot of Eternal Punishment a lot better than Innocent Sin.

Everything comes full circle ♪

tumblr_libnbpvZTS1qd8hs9.jpg

Agreed completely. I guess I went into it with high expectations and I thought it was the "serious" Persona game that people mention when they complain about the lightness of Persona 4. There's a lot I'm liking, but it is nowhere near P3 and P4 for me.

Agreed completely. I guess I went into it with high expectations and I thought it was the "serious" Persona game that people mention when they complain about the lightness of Persona 4. There's a lot I'm liking, but it is nowhere near P3 and P4 for me.

Persona 2 Innocent Sin has a fair amount of goofiness, but it goes to dark places. P3 is still overall the darkest, but I say it doesn't get as dark as Persona 2 does. Remember also, Innocent Sin is just part 1 of Persona 2, Eternal Punishment has a more mature tone and cast.

cj_iwakura

I wouldn't judge it until you finish it.

Sophia

Innocent Sin's final part is amazing. You'll see why people consider it a highlight of the series when you get there.

PK Gaming

The game makes it clear from the beginning that it's not grounded in reality whatsoever. Whereas Persona 3 and 4 are somewhat grounded by reality, Persona 2 (and 1 to a lesser extent) aren't like that at all.This is the same game where are a curse causes students to have their faces melted off and have them react in a nonchalant manner.

"Aw man, I got hit by the curse! How am I gonna get that girl to like me now!"

The "Persona game" gives people access powerful supernatural beings, and humans are very much aware of the existence of demons and other freaky stuff.

That said, Persona 2 (IS and EP) has a narrative that solidly beats Persona 3 and 4. (This is coming from a guy who's obsessed with Persona 4). You guys just need to wait and see, the game's plot gets really, really, really good in Eternal Punishment, especially once they start to introduce the main villains.

I'm gonna start playing Persona 2 soon, it's my first persona game, is it the right choice?

Don't know actually. If you like OR don't like it, dont think you will like or don't like P3/4. The first two/three games and 3/4 are completely different. 1 and the 2's are both old school rpgs to the core, and 3/4 are modern games with a completely different style.

PK Gaming

I'm gonna start playing Persona 2 soon, it's my first persona game, is it the right choice?

Start with Persona 3 or 4 and work your way backwards. Trust me, you'll retroactively appreciate the older games after playing the new ones. For all the praise I give Persona 2, it' has some archaic features. (Random encounters ewwwwwwwwwww)

PK Gaming

Tatsuya has the saddest fate, out of any Persona character.

his "Eternal Punishment" in the second game is to not only live in the original world where all humans outside Sumaru City are dead, and his friends are living in another reality, but during the game's events, has to live in a world where no one but him remembers the events of the first game and his friendships.

:(

Levito

Banned
Tempted to finally start Eternal Punishment, going back to random encounters for 60 hours is going to be rough though.

Gbraga

But let's face facts here, it IS going to be a PS3 game.

I'd be really happy. I'm not a fan of portable devices, so I wouldn't be so happy if it ends up being a 3DS game :/

PS360 is ok (PC too please? :p), even WiiU would be acceptable to me.

Squire

Banned
It'll be on PS3 more than likely. Their engine runs on everything under the sun though. It's the same tech GUST uses for Atelier games.

Trigger

Tatsuya has the saddest fate, out of any Persona character.

his "Eternal Punishment" in the second game is to not only live in the original world where all humans outside Sumaru City are dead, and his friends are living in another reality, but during the game's events, has to live in a world where no one but him remembers the events of the first game and his friendships.

:(

You know, I'd love to see a game/side story/anime about life in the original world. A post apocalyptic Persona could be cool.

PK Gaming

Tempted to finally start Eternal Punishment, going back to random encounters for 60 hours is going to be rough though.

If you managed to get through innocent sin, you should be fine. The main issues with EP are:

-Dreadful voice acting. (It's fine during battle but anywhere else...blegh)
-You're forced to constantly upgrade your Persona. That's not a problem on its own, and some people might see this as a good thing, but this means that you're forced to Tarot Card grind (Which is something I actively dreaded)
-The dungeons are way too big. I felt like they achieved the sweet spot in IS, but EPs dungeons are massive, and when you take that and add an encounter system, it gets even more annoying. Don't even get me started on pitfalls. The final dungeon alone took me 4 hours to beat.
-Translation could be better (it's decent, but you'll be constantly pining for a more modern translation)

If you can play the game in chunks and closely follow the gamefaqs guide, you should make it through ok. It took me 3 months to finally beat the game.

You know, I'd love to see a game/side story/anime about life in the original world. A post apocalyptic Persona could be cool.

I was just thinking about that, haha.

Persona, Shin Megami Tensei style

This is why its great:
P3 and 4 is society starting to crack but maintaining cohesion thanks to the heros. P2 is society fracturing. The kids getting their faces messed up? The villian organizations running wild? The rumors warping reality at the beck and call of everyone? The Joker? One step another step, a third, society breaks down due to these forces.

Besides, it ain't as if the series isn't a stranger to humor even in its bleakest entries (no matter how twisted and dark).

Young Magus

Congrats PK, you've beaten me to the punch. It feels....bittersweet to say the least :)/:(.

I'll pick it back up later on, and for those that are on IS, keep it goin cause the plot goes into overdrive sooner then you think ;)

PK Gaming

More Persona 2 stuff (sorry, it's just on my mind)

About Tatsuya:

When you play through IS, Tatsuya is presented as the guy's who sort of reluctant to be with them. It's cliched, but given the narrative it's understandable. However, in EP he wants nothing more in the world than to be with them, and he can't. And it just hits you so hard. Damn!

Can't wait to see your reaction when you finish it

About Tatsuya:

When you play through IS, Tatsuya is presented as the guy's who sort of reluctant to be with them. It's cliched, but given the narrative it's understandable. However, in EP he wants nothing more in the world than to be with them, and he can't. And it just hits you so hard. Damn!

Yup, I'd rather suffer the same fate P3 MC did instead of going through that bullshit he went through. FUCK THAT

About Tatsuya:

Yep, poor dude has it worse than any Persona MC before or since.

GSW_Comic_26___Persona_3_by_PersonaSama.jpg

ST2K

Hope I can butt in here to ask a question of you guys.

Has Persona 2 aged well? I played 3 & 4 extensively, but I'm not sure I want to try Persona 2 due to fear of old JRPG mechanics. It doesn't have any of the life management stuff either too, right? So do you just go around grinding and fighting bosses in more of a typical take on the genre, or does it have something that sets it apart in the game mechanic department?

Sophia

Hope I can butt in here to ask a question of you guys.

Has Persona 2 aged well? I played 3 & 4 extensively, but I'm not sure I want to try Persona 2 due to fear of old JRPG mechanics. It doesn't have any of the life management stuff either too, right? So do you just go around grinding and fighting bosses in more of a typical take on the genre, or does it have something that sets it apart in the game mechanic department?

It's classic Megami Tensei, and it's aged about as well as most of those has. On one hand, the base combat is still pretty decent. On the other hand there's a lot of obnoxious elements thanks to the tarot card system. And no, there's no life management stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom