• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ST2K

It's classic Megami Tensei, and it's aged about as well as most of those has. On one hand, the base combat is still pretty decent. On the other hand there's a lot of obnoxious elements thanks to the tarot card system. And no, there's no life management stuff.

Alright, thanks. I think I'll continue to avoid it then.

...Hope Persona 5 shows up soon. I would love to dive into a new Persona game.

cjkeats

$%28KGrHqZHJEEFGvim4EYRBRy+f1Jz+g~~60_35.JPG
I need these so bad.

Have you played Devil Survivor 2? It has elements of social links in it, and those who don't play 1 first, might not be as disappointing in the game as I was, the game itself is solid.

ST2K

Have you played Devil Survivor 2? It has elements of social links in it, and those who don't play 1 first, might not be as disappointing in the game as I was, the game itself is solid.

I have not. I've avoided the more mainline SMT games for a variety of reasons, but I'll check it out if DS2 is different.

I have not. I've avoided the more mainline SMT games for a variety of reasons, but I'll check it out if DS2 is different.

DS2 is not mainline, only SMT 1, 2, Nocturne, Strange Journey, and 4 are mainline. What are the reasons you are avoiding mainline btw?

Well now, so many new wallpapers. :D

Hard to say who I feel worse for, Tatsuya or the 3 MC. Then again, I REALLY need to get through EP. Maybe that's next after Apollo, finally.

The Pierced Boy and Yu Narukami are lucky bastards, ill tell you what.

Exodist

Hey guys, just a quick question. I'm about to start Persona 2 on the PSP and wondering about the endings. In the original Persona, multiple dialogue choices through the whole game determined your ending, whereas P3 and 4 are just towards the end. So I was just wondering, is P2 the same as P1? Just want to make sure I don't end up getting a bad ending cus I said the wrong thing 2 mins into the game. Thanks.

Hey guys, just a quick question. I'm about to start Persona 2 on the PSP and wondering about the endings. In the original Persona, multiple dialogue choices through the whole game determined your ending, whereas P3 and 4 are just towards the end. So I was just wondering, is P2 the same as P1? Just want to make sure I don't end up getting a bad ending cus I said the wrong thing 2 mins into the game. Thanks.

Don't worry, P2IS and P2EP only have one ending each.

Marche90

Back to fanart posting and Persona 2 discussion, I see

I'll play P2 properly some day...

Also, PK, I've been wondering, from what series is your new avatar?

P2 should be endured (I used that word, yes, the combat and tarot system is junky); as you can see by my recent posts on here, both P2s stories and characters are some of the best ever in RPGs. Harsh, thoughtful, weighty, poinient, and more than a bit crazy.

I doubt it, there wasn't the sentimental attachment to those characters the likes of which you see with modern JRPGs.

And mainline SMT savagely beats it out of you the instant you even ponder the idea. It's great!

PK Gaming

P2 should be endured (I used that word, yes, the combat and tarot system is junky); as you can see by my recent posts on here, both P2s stories and characters are some of the best ever in RPGs. Harsh, thoughtful, weighty, poinient, and more than a bit crazy.

And mainline SMT savagely beats it out of you the instant you even ponder the idea. It's great!

I couldn't agree with you more, both of P2's endings are among my favorite RPG endings of all time.

That EP ending in particular was a thought provoker, I still can't stop thinking about it!

0_o

P2 should be endured (I used that word, yes, the combat and tarot system is junky);

Combat system is pretty much like a standard turn based system except that you pick which character goes first and watch the turns unfold ; turns are then lined up based on the AGI stat if you don't intervene and modify which spells are used and when.

I'll admit that it's a bit confusing at first but it's far from making the game unplayable.

Sophia

There's not much wrong with P2's battle system. The remakes fixed the only flaw (not being able to see the turn order...)

The taort card system however is really awful. The IS remake screwed up the difficulty too. :(

Sophia

So... Persona 2 has a mixed reputation even among the fanbase, I guess? Interesting.

It unquestionably has the best story of the series. It's largely an issue of the tarot card system being needlessly obtuse and the issue of difficulty in the Innocent Sin PSP port. That, and the fact that we didn't get Eternal Punishment PSP...

PK Gaming

The random encounter system is a total pain in the ass too.

I've said this countless times before, but I'd kill for a modern day Persona 2 remake (after Persona 5 of course)

PK Gaming

Get Estoma and the random encounters aren't an issue.

When I played through EP, my team tended to hover around a level that was lower than most demons, so I still ran into a lot of demons during my journey.

I won't deny the usefulness of Estoma though.

Wishes he had "The Paradox" as his CT

ST2K

As long as we're on the Persona remake subject, I'd like a definitive Persona 3 edition someday.

I still don't know how they remade it twice and you can't point to one version as the best.

Meia

Had Estoma, never used it in IS as I liked the battle system. Just set turn order outside of battle for correct Fusion spell usage, and instantly kill most fights anyway. Plus watching bars fill is always enjoyable.

...will probably need Estoma for EP because of the turn order resetting thing. Yes I will keep mentioning, cause it's still horrible. :p

Sophia

They didn't remake it twice. Persona 3 FES was an append disc originally in Japan and required a regular copy of Persona 3. The only remake so far was Persona 3 Portable.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Endured is an understatement. P2 IS has some interesting and inventive concepts, certainly for a mid 90s jrpg, but man so many of the underlying progression systems require far too much patience, experimentation, and some luck. I've gotten no satisfaction out of anything gameplay related, and the curiosity about the narrative adoration is the only thing keeping me pushing through this messy game.

I want to chuck my vita across the room everytime a pact closes because the randomization of demon questions can really fuck with your tarot grinding, which is such a tedious chore as is.

Then again the remake is easy enough that even the story play guide tips feels like overkill. Fusion aoe attacks help keep the pacing somewhat bearable tho...barely.

Really debating actually playing eternal punishment or just watching a lets play run to see the story unfold after I finish IS. Not at all sure I can stomach 30-50 more hours of this gameplay structure, especially without remake enhancements.

ST2K

They didn't remake it twice. Persona 3 FES was an append disc originally in Japan and required a regular copy of Persona 3. The only remake so far was Persona 3 Portable.

...Didn't FES add Personas and tweak Social Links and such in the original game? How did they work that out with a second separate disc?

Sophia

...Didn't FES add Personas and tweak Social Links and such in the original game? How did they work that out with a second separate disc?

In Japan some games had expansion packs in the form of "append discs." They acted kinda like a Pro Action Replay or Gameshark in a sense. You'd stick the append disc in and it'd ask you for the original after loading the new content. This technology only existed on Japanese models however.

Persona 3 FES was released as an append disc in Japan, and a full version with everything appended on came a bit later. In the US obviously we only got the full version.

I think only around ten games total used the technology, and most of them are rather insignificant.

Had Estoma, never used it in IS as I liked the battle system. Just set turn order outside of battle for correct Fusion spell usage, and instantly kill most fights anyway. Plus watching bars fill is always enjoyable.

...will probably need Estoma for EP because of the turn order resetting thing. Yes I will keep mentioning, cause it's still horrible. :p

I STILL cant get why its a big deal. I played P2EP for hours got to like the middle of the game, and I dont see the turn reset issue.

PK Gaming

I STILL cant get why its a big deal. I played P2EP for hours got to like the middle of the game, and I dont see the turn reset issue.

I didn't even notice it until you guys brought it up.

The EP battle system UI is a lot better imo, it's really easy to set up strats or fusion spells.

ST2K

In Japan some games had expansion packs in the form of "append discs." They acted kinda like a Pro Action Replay or Gameshark in a sense. You'd stick the append disc in and it'd ask you for the original after loading the new content. This technology only existed on Japanese models however.

Persona 3 FES was released as an append disc in Japan, and a full version with everything appended on came a bit later. In the US obviously we only got the full version.

I think only around ten games total used the technology, and most of them are rather insignificant.

Interesting. You learn something new every day.

Regardless, it's still disappointing they've modified/expanded/whatever that game twice and there isn't a definitive version.

Meia

I didn't mind the random encounter rate of IS at all, because fights rarely lasted more than literally 10 seconds, counting the experience screen. Go in a battle, everyone's turn order is already set how I need it to be, auto-battle, win(since I can also set what spells for everyone to use outside battle), back to exploring. In EP to accomplish the same thing, I have to spend at least 15 seconds in every battle setting the turn order first, then more for abilities. Then if the turn doesn't finish the battle, for round 2 I have to do it all over again. Suddenly the encounter rate hurts, and hurts hard, because it adds a whole lot of repetition and time to a game system that didn't have it in IS PSP.

I'm not going to lie when I say it's the main thing blocking my desire to pick it up again. I feel like I did when I tried getting through Persona 1 when I think about booting the game up again.

I didn't mind the random encounter rate of IS at all, because fights rarely lasted more than literally 10 seconds, counting the experience screen. Go in a battle, everyone's turn order is already set how I need it to be, auto-battle, win, back to exploring. In EP to accomplish the same thing, I have to spend at least 15 seconds in every battle setting the turn order first, then more for abilities. Then if the turn doesn't finish the battle, for round 2 I have to do it all over again. Suddenly the encounter rate hurts, and hurts hard, because it adds a whole lot of repetition to a game system that didn't have it in IS PSP.

I'm not going to lie when I say it's the main thing blocking my desire to pick it up again. I feel like I did when I tried getting through Persona 1 when I think about booting the game up again.

You don't need to adjust turn order if you simply select a fusion spell from the menu and let the battle start. The fusion spell will be queue'd first and you'll wipe the enemy party almost instantly with the animations turned off.

If you don't have a multihit fusion spell, you can just let the battle go anyway and characters will use the same actions they did in the last battle. Adjusting their turns does nothing to help you clean up a mob anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom