• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logash

I've always loved Atlus' ability to create a whole new cast of character that I can fall in love with. Forget about sequels to 3 or 4 or Arena.

Sophia

I fully expect Persona 2 style cameos to round out the supporting cast. The main cast will be all new however. It always is.

Caladrius

We have enough players

But for real Im sticking with my theory of P5 being its own thing, with Arenas storyline being a spinoff.

Then again someone here brought up a good point, that the goals of the previous two bad guys were similar, in which case Persona 5 could be the game that adds all that up.

Yeah. Arena left too large a hook for me to think that it won't be addressed in a major title. At the very least I'm expecting a persona 2-like story where at least 1 or 2 characters are relevant players,

kewlmyc

I saw the second in theatres. It was amazing. Full house of utter confusion.
Also saw the Madoka movies in theatres. Aniplex have been awesome with those, releasing them near simultaneously with the JP theatrical release. Not sure Persona will get the same treatment though.

Seeing Madoka in theaters was magical. ....excuse the pun.

Also, I go to sleep and suddenly there is 100 more posts? What the hell happened?

Squire

Banned
I should have expected. Though, we should have heard some sort of preview by now like "update to a popular series in the next Famitsu".

Not really. The weeks when Famitsu actually has big news almost always come out of nowhere without any sort of teaser beforehand.

Squire

Banned
No, it is not. Inorigo is just saying that the big surprised announcements usually aren't foreshadowed or hinted at in advance, not that no hint equals a big announcement.

Exactly. News that people actually care about in Famitsu is very typically completely random.

Xyber

So after watching 70-ish episodes of Giant Bomb's endurance run of P4 I decided I wanted to play a persona as well while continuing watching that. I am now closing in on my second full moon in P3 and there is a few things that really bothers me.

Getting tired while fighting, so annoying.
Not able to see what the damn attacks do while in battle, how am I supposed to learn what all the buffs and debuffs are named!?
Not being able to control the other characters in battle will screw me over sooner or later, I'm sure of that.

Also, I never get to level up any social links with the girls. I need some love man!

So I'm playing on easy now because I don't want to be screwed over for not using the right skills, I'm really liking the game so far but it would've been so much better if it just had all these features that P4 fixed. :(

Sophia

I know..

You know what i'm sorry that wasnt funny, i'm not funny.

If you were trying to be funny, you broke my sarcasm meter. ;)

Not able to see what the damn attacks do while in battle, how am I supposed to learn what all the buffs and debuffs are named!?

Oh yeah, classic Persona 3/FES doesn't let you hit square does it? That was something they added into Portable. Here's a quick rundown of the naming convention for spells.

For Elemental Spells:
  • Agi - Fire.
  • Bufu - Ice.
  • Zio - Eletricity.
  • Garu - Wind.
  • Hama - Light.
  • Mudo - Darkness.
  • Dia - Healing.
For Buff and Debuff spells:
  • Taru - Attack Power.
  • Suku - Hit/Evasion.
  • Raku - Defense.
  • Spells that end in -nda (I.E. Tarunda) effect the enemy. They lower the aforementioned stat.
  • Spells that end in Kaja (I.E. Tarukaja) affect a party member. The raise the aforementioned stat.
For all spells:

Anything with a "Ma" or "Me" at the start effects everyone. For example.
  • Matarukaja = Attack power increase for everyone.
  • Masukunda = Hit/Evasion lower for all enemies.
  • Mazio = Lighting on all enemies.
  • Media = Healing to the entire party.

Levito

Banned
Subtle/small cameo's would be aight, like say you run into a Police Officer and it just happens to be Chie.

I'm sure it's a new cast entirely though.

Caladrius

So after watching 70-ish episodes of Giant Bomb's endurance run of P4 I decided I wanted to play a persona as well while continuing watching that. I am now closing in on my second full moon in P3 and there is a few things that really bothers me.

Getting tired while fighting, so annoying.
Not being able to control the other characters in battle will screw me over sooner or later, I'm sure of that.

Also, I never get to level up any social links with the girls. I need some love man!

So I'm playing on easy now because I don't want to be screwed over for not using the right skills, I'm really liking the game so far but it would've been so much better if it just had all these features that P4 fixed. :(

1. Tiring is BS and part of why I played P3P instead.
2. There's a consistent system of buff and debuff names (along with all the other spells). Taru- deals with attack, Raku- is for defense, and suku- is for accuracy/evasion. -Kaja is up, -Kunda is down. The naming system is tricky, but once you learn it, it'll help you play through any other MegaTen game.
3. See 1. Final boss is hell in the PS2 versions because of it.
4. Bring personae of the matching Arcanum while doing social links. It increases the amount of points gained from sessions.

Xyber

Oh yeah, classic Persona 3/FES doesn't let you hit square does it? That was something they added into Portable. Here's a quick rundown of the naming convention for spells.

For Elemental Spells: Agi - Fire. Bufu - Ice. Zio - Eletricity. Garu - Wind. Hama - Light. Mudo - Darkness. Dia - Healing.
For Buff and Debuff spells: Taru - Attack Power. Suku - Hit/Evasion. Raku - Defense. Spells that end in -nda (I.E. Tarunda) effect the enemy. Spells that end in Kaja (I.E. Tarukaja) affect a party member.
For all spells: Anything with a "Ma" or "Me" at the start effects everyone. For example. Matarukaja = Attack power increase for everyone. Masukunda = Hit/Evasion lower for all enemies. Mazio = Lighting on all enemies. Media = Healing to the entire party.

Thanks for that. Gonna have to have a notepad window open with that stuff until I get it down.

I fully expect Persona 2 style cameos to round out the supporting cast. The main cast will be all new however. It always is.

Don't play with my heart, you cruel mistress.

Probably ain't gonna happen. Hell, all they got were some lame references on TV that were easily missable and some characters like Jun didn't get one.

Sophia

Thanks for that. Gonna have to have a notepad window open with that stuff until I get it down.

I updated my list to be a little bit easier to read.

Persona 3 Portable and Persona 4/Persona 4 Golden let you see the spells by just hitting square. If you're not sure what anything does, you can usually hit square in the menus too, or ask us here if you're fusing something.

You can also use the Megami Tensei wiki, which has an excellent list.

Dantis

Don't play with my heart, you cruel mistress.

Probably ain't gonna happen. Hell, all they got were some lame references on TV that were easily missable and some characters like Jun didn't get one.

You're misunderstanding what she means. She's talking about the P1 cast cameoing in P2.

Which I think is possible. Yukino was handled excellently. I didn't even click that it was the same Yukino when I first played, haha!

Levito

Banned
Everyone is tired of the ports, but a version of P3 with all the best parts of FES and P3P combined into one would be pretty amazing.

Trigger

It's pretty intuitive. I guarantee that you'll have it down without a notepad in about 20hrs worth of dungeon crawling.

Everyone is tired of the ports, but a version of P3 with all the best parts of FES and P3P combined into one would be pretty amazing.

#P3MovieEdition
#BELIEVE

Xyber

Persona 3 Portable and Persona 4/Persona 4 Golden let you see the spells by just hitting square. If you're not sure what anything does, you can usually hit square in the menus too, or ask us here if you're fusing something.

Don't have a PSP and I'm not interested in "replaying" the 30-40 hours I've already watched in the GB Endurance Run.

So I'm sticking with this and hope the names of all the skills will stick soon enough.

Sophia

You're misunderstanding what she means. She's talking about the P1 cast cameoing in P2.

Which I think is possible. Yukino was handled excellently. I didn't even click that it was the same Yukino when I first played, haha!

Virtually all of the Persona 1 cast were handled better in Persona 2 than in their own game. Truthfact.

Dantis

Just in case though I should probably learn Japanese

It's surprising how much you can pick up without knowing any (Or as good as none, at least). I understand virtually all of Golden's new content (Minus the text-only stuff, which went right over my head) based purely on similar words, portrait expressions and tone of voice.

I had to memorise Katakana though, so that I could actually read the moves, haha.

There won't be. Not only do Atlus USA have nothing else in the works right now, they're been doing super quick releases.

I hope it's as fast as Arena.

If it's as fast as Arena, I won't import the Japanese one. If it's six months, like Golden, I will do.

Oh yeah, classic Persona 3/FES doesn't let you hit square does it? That was something they added into Portable.

The more I hear about the differences between FES and Portable the more I'm glad I chose Portable. All of the scenes being presented with just text and portraits didn't bother me one bit (the voice acting is good enough), but all these gameplay tweaks certainly would have.

Apparently you can only complete one female social link at a time without it reversing at some point? Did they fix this for the male side in P3P or was this just changed if you pick FeMC?

Levito

Banned
They'll get P5 out in the west really quickly, importing hurts their business so I'm sure they'll try to combat it.

Will P5 be region locked?

FluxWaveZ

There won't be. Not only do Atlus USA have nothing else in the works right now

Well, that's not true.

They have at least:

- Daylight
- Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem
- Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl
- Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked (Probably)

And that's not counting any other potential weirdness like God Mode or R.I.P.D.

Doubt localization would be as fast as Persona 4 Arena since that game was a very special case (fighting game, studio collaboration, region locking...). It'd be cool, though and Shin Megami Tensei IV's NA release was soon enough after its Japanese release, so it might be the same for Persona 5.

Squire

Banned
There won't be. Not only do Atlus USA have nothing else in the works right now, they're been doing super quick releases.

I hope it's as fast as Arena.

They'll get P5 out in the west really quickly, importing hurts their business so I'm sure they'll try to combat it.

Will P5 be region locked?

You're probably right. Look at SMTIV!

The only thing Atlus USA has on the docket for next year so far is Daylight, unless I'm forgetting something.

Sophia

The more I hear about the differences between FES and Portable the more I'm glad I chose Portable. All of the scenes being presented with just text and portraits didn't bother me one bit (the voice acting is good enough), but all these gameplay tweaks certainly would have.

Apparently you can only complete one female social link at a time without it reversing at some point? Did they fix this for the male side in P3P or was this just changed if you pick FeMC?

You can complete multiple female social links at a time, it's just that it's more likely to break in classic P3/FES because each girl gets stingier about calling you for dates and stuff. If you decline them enough times in classic P3, they eventually reverse.

They altered this in Persona 3 Portable for the male protagonist. It's now like Persona 4. No social link reverses on its own, but you can still reverse it if they set up two dates at the same times and they catch you double timing.

Dantis

Well, that's not true.

They have at least:

- Daylight
- Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem
- Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl
- Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked (Probably)

And that's not counting any other potential weirdness like God Mode or R.I.P.D.

Doubt localization would be as fast as Persona 4 Arena since that game was a very special case (fighting game, studio collaboration, region locking...). It'd be cool, though and Shin Megami Tensei IV's NA release was soon enough after its Japanese release, so it might be the same for Persona 5.

Pretty sure P5 will be before SMTxFE.

And aren't they just publishing Daylight?

Levito

Banned
Daylight is only published but Atlus USA, everything else is handled by Zombie Studio's.

If it's on a Sony console or XBO I don't think so. Vita is region free and IIRC so is PS4.

The PS3 is region free too, it's up to the developers if they want to lock it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom