• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levito

Banned
So will any of you abandon GAF for a media blackout on P5? Or even just say people import the hell out of it, will you avoid the forums then?

Sure there's the spoiler tag rule on the community thread, but sometimes people forget that, know what I'm saying?

Squire

Banned
So will any of you abandon GAF for a mediablackout on P5? Or even just say people import the hell out of it, will you avoid the forums then?

Sure there's the spoiler tag rule on the com thread, but sometimes people forget, that know what I'm saying?

Not sure what I'd do. I'd probably hang around still though, knowing me. I wouldn't be able to resist.

Have we got any SMT X FE news since?
I'd bet it's still just a word document at this point.

Also, I can't wait for the new Etrian Odyssey. Two in one year is like having two Christmases in a year. Anyone else getting it?

If that game gets made, it's because Nintendo is footing the bill entirely. Anything else would be nuts.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Have we got any SMT X FE news since?
I'd bet it's still just a word document at this point.

Also, I can't wait for the new Etrian Odyssey. Two in one year is like having two Christmases in a year. Anyone else getting it?

The only thing we have on SMT x FE is a 5 second flash animation announcing the game. We don't know who's developing it or anything, hell Nintendo could be and Atlus is just lending them the characters.

I will probably get EO, and when DeSu 2: Code Breaker is announced. (I'm assuming it will be called that because Break Code is kinda Engrish ;p )

So will any of you abandon GAF for a mediablackout on P5? Or even just say people import the hell out of it, will you avoid the forums then?

Sure there's the spoiler tag rule on the com thread, but sometimes people forget, that know what I'm saying?

I just don't enter threads about games I want that are story-driven, and I couldn't abandon you guys even if I wanted to. Some people are frigging awful at spoiler-tagging though, so we'll have to agree to not spoiler tag anything in here unless it's both a proper spoiler (not a joke) and properly labelled.

Sophia

So will any of you abandon GAF for a media blackout on P5? Or even just say people import the hell out of it, will you avoid the forums then?

Sure there's the spoiler tag rule on the community thread, but sometimes people forget that, know what I'm saying?

I fear no spoilers. I shall spoil myself everything because I'm a giddy little fangirl. >_>;

Trigger

I'd only visit the community thread when P5 hits. I remember binging on P4/P3 in under a week when they first hit, so I'd just be missing a week of discussion in the OT in the worst case scenario.

Levito

Banned
Yeah it would be hard to abandon the community thread for a while, but if spoiler were rampant, got no other choice. Don't think anyone here would be a big enough ass to actively ruin the game for people, but a new game will bring in a lot of new people to the community thread.

I fear no spoilers. I shall spoil myself everything because I'm a giddy little fangirl. >_>;

That's a mentality I couldn't share, I HATE spoilers. Friend of mine spoiled
Ned Stark's death
in Game of Thrones and I wanted to punch him afterwards.

Caladrius

Nope. Every Persona game has been spoiled immensely for me before I played them.
Damn you TVTropes.
I still enjoyed seeing them play out regardless.

cjkeats

Depends how long the wait is. If it's long, I'll probably end up spoiling everything. If it's short I can avoid it until I play it myself.

I will probably get EO, and when DeSu 2: Code Breaker is announced. (I'm assuming it will be called that because Break Code is kinda Engrish ;p )

I can see it being called Break Code. Just because :p

I completely contradict myself in that sense seeing as that I dont like being spoiled, yet i dont like blacking out either, so ill try to avoid some stuff, but otherwise things will remain the same for me.

Sophia

That's a mentality I couldn't share, I HATE spoilers. Friend of mine spoiled
YOHOHO A PIRATE'S LIFE
in Game of Thrones and I wanted to punch him afterwards.

See, I read TVTropes regularly. You have to adopt no fear of spoilers if you do that, cuz you'll get spoiled by the layout anyhow even if it's under tags.

It's like your reading at your favorite character's page and in between the J and L there's a spoilered trope long enough to be "Killed Off For Real", so you just know, even if you didn't highlight it.

Squire

Banned
Yeah it would be hard to abandon the community thread for a while, but if spoiler were rampant, got no other choice. Don't think anyone here would be a big enough ass to actively ruin the game for people, but a new game will bring in a lot of new people to the community thread.

Or if the game has too many "waifus" or characters dare to not be miserable for 60 hours straight or some other weird, made-up hang-up that some people seem to have occurrs, they'll be in a vindictive mood and try to ruin some other people's fun.

Who knows!

Vodh

I'm currently playing P4G, which happens to be my first Persona game, and I feel like I'm playing two different games - the part in the 'real' world is amazing, I'm absolutely loving it!

But the combat is tedious as hell, as well as grindy and it feels like each TV-world segment drags on for hours.

Am I doing something wrong? I've got all characters set on direct commands, playing with a Yukiko/Kanji/Chie team, I use all personas I find to upgrade and get new ones, get done with all the dungeons within one day using one or two fox heals...

Early on when the combat was pretty much about finding a weakness and using a proper element it was fine, but now that about half of my attacks miss and both the fights and the TV world segments have gotten longer it's becoming unbearably tedious.

I'm about
45-50
hours into the game, about half way through
Naoto's dungeon.

I wouldn't want spoilers... You really think there's a risk of the game being spoiled in this thread even though the game will get its own thread?

You can complete multiple female social links at a time, it's just that it's more likely to break in classic P3/FES because each girl gets stingier about calling you for dates and stuff. If you decline them enough times in classic P3, they eventually reverse.

They altered this in Persona 3 Portable for the male protagonist. It's now like Persona 4. No social link reverses on its own, but you can still reverse it if they set up two dates at the same times and they catch you double timing.

Ah, so they did change it. P3P just seems superior gameplay-wise, yet so many folks recommend FES over it for the story side... each to their own I guess.

Sophia

I'm currently playing P4G, which happens to be my first Persona game, and I feel like I'm playing two different games - the part in the 'real' world is amazing, I'm absolutely loving it!

But the combat is tedious as hell, as well as grindy and it feels like each TV-world segment drags on for hours.

Am I doing something wrong? I've got all characters set on direct commands, playing with a Yukiko/Kanji/Chie team, I use all personas I find to upgrade and get new ones, get done with all the dungeons within one day using one or two fox heals...

Early on when the combat was pretty much about finding a weakness and using a proper element it was fine, but now that about half of my attacks miss and both the fights and the TV world segments have gotten longer it's becoming unbearably tedious.

I'm about
45-50
hours into the game, about half way through
Naoto's dungeon.

It shouldn't have gotten any more tedious. In fact, it should be faster now that you have access to Almighty spells as well as well as party wide buffs. Are you keeping your equipment up to date? Are you designing Personae logically? No silly combinations like a Persona with tons of magical abilities but a low magic stat? Your persona and party are at the right level for the dungeon? The enemies there start at 45 and end at 55, so your party should ideally be around 41 or so entering, and 49 to 51 finishing.

Ah, so they did change it. P3P just seems superior gameplay-wise, yet so many folks recommend FES over it for the story side... each to their own I guess.

Persona 3 Portable is unquestionably the better game, and I near universally play that now that I have it on my Vita. People who recommend FES are usually doing so because it's presentation is more appealing to first timers.

Vodh

Forgot to mention, I'm playing on Normal (and regretting not choosing Easy... It's not hard at all, just boring...)

Or if the game has too many "waifus" or characters dare to not be miserable for 60 hours straight or some other weird, made-up hang-up that some people seem to have occurrs, they'll be in a vindictive mood and try to ruin some other people's fun.

Who knows!

Yeah, I gotta say that people who hate on P4 for being "too kiddy and lighthearted" really bug me. The mentality that dark automatically equals better is in general really silly. To quote one Mr. Plinkett: "MY STOOL IS DARK! And doctor says that's bad!
...I dunno why he thinks he knows so much about interior decorating though
"

Levito

Banned
A pirates life? haha

TVTropes is always a great read, but I wont ever visit a page for a piece of media I want to experience myself.

I mean we've been waiting for this game for like 5 years, rushing out and reading all about the story isn't worth it for me.

One thing I don't get though about P3P, why the Answer went ignored, I mean it didnt even have to be playable, they could have just put something in there explaining what happened after the end. Other then that P3P definitely improves P3's flaws, though I myself find classic P3's presentation better.

Vodh

It shouldn't have gotten any more tedious. In fact, it should be faster now that you have access to Almighty spells as well as well as party wide buffs. Are you keeping your equipment up to date? Are you designing Personae logically? No silly combinations like a Persona with tons of magical abilities but a low magic stat? Your persona and party are at the right level for the dungeon? The enemies there start at 45 and end at 55, so your party should ideally be around 41 or so entering, and 49 to 51 finishing.

Yeah, I'm mostly spamming Almighty spells from my main character, using a high magic persona. The party is around level 53 on floor 6, with possibly a bit outdated equipment because I couldn't bear the previous dungeon so I didn't get too many materials from it. I needed some cash some time ago so I grinded up a bit on gold hands, hence the levels. Most of the fights end within 2-3 rounds.

It's mostly the length of the dungeons and the massive dissonance between how much I like the outside world parts compared to how uninteresting the endless mazes are that's getting to me.

Trigger

One thing I don't get though about P3P, why the Answer went ignored, I mean it didnt even have to be playable, they could have just put something in there explaining what happened after the end. Other then that P3P definitely improves P3's flaws, though I myself find classic P3's presentation better.

That's just more content they'd have to add in.

Sophia

Yeah, I'm mostly spamming Almighty spells from my main character, using a high magic persona. The party is around level 53 on floor 6, with possibly a bit outdated equipment because I couldn't bear the previous dungeon so I didn't get too many materials from it. I needed some cash some time ago so I grinded up a bit on gold hands, hence the levels. Most of the fights end within 2-3 rounds.

It's mostly the length of the dungeons and the massive dissonance between how much I like the outside world parts compared to how uninteresting the endless mazes are that's getting to me.

Well, Secret Base is a breather dungeon, as is the boss. It's shoehorned right between a really hard boss (
Shadow Mituso
) and the upcoming dungeon which is a big plot point in the story.

Make sure your Persona that's using Almighty spells has high agiltiy and luck too. Auto-Sukukaja helps too if you can get it. You don't want them to miss when they cost so much SP.

That's just more content they'd have to add in.

Yeah. The single layer UMD was already full. They could have used a dual layer, but that's still more optimization. The cutscenes wouldn't have fit, so that's new content that has to be created and optimized, and the female protagonist needs unique scenes. Thaats more content that needs to be created and optimized.

It's also not like you can shoehorn in a new scene or anything in there either without the gameplay, as most of The Answer's story is backloaded near the end.

Vodh

Well, Secret Base is a breather dungeon, as is the boss. It's shoehorned right between a really hard boss (
Shadow Mituso
) and the upcoming dungeon which is a big plot point in the story.

Make sure your Persona that's using Almighty spells has high agiltiy and luck too. Auto-Sukukaja helps too if you can get it. You don't want them to miss when they cost so much SP.

Overall yeah, it's not too bad - just a bit disappointing. On the whole, still a great game.

Yeah. The single layer UMD was already full. They could have used a dual layer, but that's still more optimization. The cutscenes wouldn't have fit, so that's new content that has to be created and optimized, and the female protagonist needs unique scenes. Thaats more content that needs to be created and optimized.

It's also not like you can shoehorn in a new scene or anything in there either without the gameplay, as most of The Answer's story is backloaded near the end.

No what I meant was literally some sort of datalog that summarizes what happened, nothing more.

Sophia

No what I meant was literally some sort of datalog that summarizes what happened, nothing more.

You can't really do that. That'd just be an annoying tease towards the new players. "Here's the stuff we couldn't include because you got the portable version!"

Plus there's too much info to sum it up that quickly. :p

Levito

Banned
Just realized, Sony is always pushing day 1 digital releases, does that philosophy carry over to Japan?

In theory, if P5 isn't region locked, couldn't you just create a Japanese PSN account and download it the same day it comes out?

cjkeats

Just realized, Sony is always pushing day 1 digital releases, does that philosophy carry over to Japan?

In theory, if P5 isn't region locked, couldn't you just create a Japanese PSN account and download it the same day it comes out?
Yes you can. Just gotta get some JP PSN cards, which are easy to get.

cjkeats

I think the chances of P5 getting spoiled in this topic are low. Is anyone except me even planning to import it?

Depends on the time until localization.

There's not much of a point in importing a story heavy game when I can't understand it. Only for collection purposes, which reminds me I gotta get a copy of EP for my shelf.

Levito

Banned
Yes you can. Just gotta get some JP PSN cards, which are easy to get.

So wait, credit cards don't work?

I think the chances of P5 getting spoiled in this topic are low. Is anyone except me even planning to import it?

No one here is that big of a dick, but there's always the offset chance of a newbie coming in and saying "hey what did ya'll think of Igor biting of P5's main characters finger and jumping into the fire with it?"

Are you importing for collecting purposes or just to experience it asap?

Dantis

Depends on the time until localization.

There's not much of a point in importing a story heavy game when I can't understand it. Only for collection purposes, which reminds me I gotta get a copy of EP for my shelf.

I'd get EP if I had a PSP, but I don't. :(

Personally, I found it really neat to play through Golden in Japanese.

No one here is that big of a dick, but there's always the offset chance of a newbie coming in and saying "hey what did ya'll think of Igor biting of P5's main characters finger and jumping into the fire with it?"

For the experience. It's my favourite gaming series, so I have to get in there as soon as I can, haha.

Caladrius

So wait, credit cards don't work?

Remember that your account is in your local currency. They'd have to exchange the currency to process it in Yen.

And I need that shit in my veins now.

Levito

Banned
For the experience. It's my favourite gaming series, so I have to get in there as soon as I can, haha.

Ah cool, do you know Japanese? Imagine it's be tough to follow such a verbose series in a language you're not familiar with.

Remember that your account is in your local currency. They'd have to exchange the currency to process it in Yen.

I use my credit card for US websites all the time. :p

Caladrius

Ah cool, do you know Japanese? Imagine it's be tough to follow such a verbose series in a language you're not familiar with.

I use my credit card for US websites all the time. :p

Damn it. I wanted to get that D-Arts Thanatos and didn't because I thought I couldn't.

I'm probably going to have to go deeper into the bunker than I have for SMT4 and will for ZE3. SMT4 proved there are alot of people who played the JP one and will try to manipulate peoples hype or criticisms about the games to fit their agenda, PLUS it's plot and character development-heavy PLUS it's a bigger franchise than those two. Landmine city.

I'd like to think we have powerful mods that can fix that. Hopefully they have an itchy trigger finger for that due to how popular and good they tend to be.

Levito

Banned
Hey! speaking of importing and whatnot.

I take it some(most) of you have somewhat of a Persona collection right? We should post'em tonight!

cjkeats

Hey! speaking of importing and whatnot.

I take it some(most) of you have somewhat of a Persona collection right? We should post'em tonight!

I like this idea. My collection is away so I can;t get any better pictures of it, but I've shared it a few times. It's nothing special.
DJYewPo.jpg

HCaWTAi.jpg
I like these guys the most, they were those random boxes where you don;t know who you get, I wanted Rise so I bought 3, and Rise was the first I opened. I was pleased.
Only thing I've never shown was my Gekkoukan button on my backpack.

kewlmyc

No, but I will stop browsing 4chan. They've spoiled every game I've played the last 3 years except for Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us. For those two games, I played it smart and avoided the website. Wish I could say the same about DanganRonpa though.

jaxword

If you were trying to be funny, you broke my sarcasm meter. ;)

Oh yeah, classic Persona 3/FES doesn't let you hit square does it? That was something they added into Portable. Here's a quick rundown of the naming convention for spells.

For Elemental Spells:
  • Agi - Fire.
  • Bufu - Ice.
  • Zio - Eletricity.
  • Garu - Wind.
  • Hama - Light.
  • Mudo - Darkness.
  • Dia - Healing.
For Buff and Debuff spells:
  • Taru - Attack Power.
  • Suku - Hit/Evasion.
  • Raku - Defense.
  • Spells that end in -nda (I.E. Tarunda) effect the enemy. They lower the aforementioned stat.
  • Spells that end in Kaja (I.E. Tarukaja) affect a party member. The raise the aforementioned stat.
For all spells:

Anything with a "Ma" or "Me" at the start effects everyone. For example.
  • Matarukaja = Attack power increase for everyone.
  • Masukunda = Hit/Evasion lower for all enemies.
  • Mazio = Lighting on all enemies.
  • Media = Healing to the entire party.

You know, why do they do it that way? At first I thought it was direct Japanese, but no, those don't translate into the words they represent. I.e. Garu doesn't mean Wind, I don't think.

Sophia

You know, why do they do it that way? At first I thought it was direct Japanese, but no, those don't translate into the words they represent. I.e. Garu doesn't mean Wind, I don't think.

I'll get back to you on that. There was a reason for the naming scheme (it's all references off the top of my head) but I cannot find the info on it right now.

At the very least, "Ma" in the Japanese version is "Ma-Ha", which is Sanskrit for Big/Great, and "-dyne" is a unit of force.

jaxword

I will. People did the same thing with Game of Thrones and keep sneaking in book references even when asked or told not to.

Spoiler tags are useless, too. WOW I'VE ONLY BEEN PLAYING 2 HOURS AND DID NOT EXPECT
Tifa
to die!

Great, so now I know someone important dies 2 hours in, and with the cast of 6 people it'll be easy to work out whose name fits that spoiler.

It's amazing how the nerd culture is so smug and uncaring about spoilers. They don't acknowledge that saying ANYTHING--yes, even that little thing, YES even that subtle comment, can spoil something major.

Unless there's an admin willing to go full zero tolerance, things WILL get spoiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom