• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squire

Banned
I only just saw the Twitter conversation that took place when Arena was announced.

You're all bad people.

ivxGYfmCOMBY5.gif

<3

Gbraga

I think it will be on just one platform. Building it on two (PS3 and Vita or PS3 and PS4) would be essentially like building two separate games.

If you're right, then it's pretty much 100% it's gonna be PS3, no way they'll go full blown next gen.

I'm ok with this. :)

Dantis

Game Development Does Not Work This Way.

Yes It Does.

Why Are We Using Capitals At The Start Of Each Word.

PS3, PS4 and Vita all use completely different architectures which would require different versions of the engine, and completely different capabilities, which would require different assets.

Kazzy

PS3, PS4 and Vita all use completely different architectures which would require different versions of the engine, and completely different capabilities, which would require different assets.

You're substantiating this with nothing but your opinion.

Moonlight

Banned
Yes It Does.

This, of course, explains how games like Lone Survivor and Limbo can be easily ported from platform to platform.

Dantis

This, of course, explains how games like Lone Survivor and Limbo can be easily ported from platform to platform.

It is truly baffling how flash-level games can be re-written so easily.

Just as an example of this, I know for a fact that Thomas Was Alone was re-written from the ground up for Vita.

Persona 5 will not be Limbo, and will not be Lone Survivor.

Refyref

Architecture means nothing unless Atlus themselves will build a low-level engine.

Not only there is no reason they will make their own engine, even if they were, they would not make one on a low-level.

Sophia

Yes It Does.

It depends on what the programmer intended to begin with. They don't "magically" make new versions of the engine just to port over to another console. If the engine or middleware was designed for portability in mind, then it's trivial (or at least, rather easy) from the programmer's point of view. It certainly does not require completely different assists.

(Or to paraphrase what Justine said in chat: Open source engines, how do they fucking work their magic!?)

Architecture means nothing unless Atlus themselves will build a low-level engine themselves.

Not only there is no reason they will make their own engine, even if they were, they would not make one on a low-level.

Exactly. They have most likely customized their own middleware or something. I'm pretty sure Atlus licensed PhyreEngine, so if they're building Persona 5 on that then it's a completely non-issue to port between PS3, PS4 or Vita.

Trigger

I thought the whole reason the PS4 isn't backwards compatible was due to the PS4 and PS3 having different architectures. So
(at least part) of
what Dantis said isn't incorrect, no?

Dantis

I thought the whole reason the PS4 isn't backwards compatible was due to the PS4 and PS3 having different architectures. So
(at least part) of

It's 100% correct. People are just deluded and like to argue with me.

There are a ton of games that prove that Vita can't handle straight ports of PS3 games, and it's common sense why PS3 can't handle straight ports of PS4 games.

Fortunately, the inner knowledge that I am right is enough.

(Or to paraphrase what Justine said in chat: Open source engines, how do they fucking work their magic!?
If you think open source means 'runs on any platform' then you are mistaken.

Necrovex

It's 100% correct. People are just deluded and like to argue with me.

There are a ton of games that prove that Vita can't handle straight ports of PS3 games, and it's common sense why PS3 can't handle straight ports of PS4 games.

Fortunately, the inner knowledge that I am right is enough.

Are you telling me Knack won't be on the PS3?

Refyref

(at least part) of

That's because code made to run on the PS3 can't run. The whole point of the compiling process is to translate your programming code to machine code. Machine code can only run on the machine it is intended to.
That process, however, is not done by a human.

Sophia

(at least part) of

It's true that they have different architectures, but in today's era no company does extensive low level programming for one architecture. It'd be incredibly fucking stupid, and it limits your options.

That's because code made to run on the PS3 can't run. The whole point of the compiling process is to translate your programming code to machine code. Machine code can only run on the machine it is intended to.

Exactly, Ref gets it.

Dantis, you are completely missing the point of what I'm saying. On top of displaying that you have no understanding of what you're talking about. :p

Trigger

It's true that they have different architectures, but in today's era no company does extensive low level programming for one architecture. It'd be incredibly fucking stupid, and it limits your options.

Ah, I see. I know nothing about tech. I just play the games. :p

Venfayth

Dantis, you really ought to inform yourself more. The kind of speculation that it seems your "inner knowledge" is fueled by is really .. disappointing. Just out of curiosity, do you understand how Java works?

Squire

Banned
Index licensed PhyreEngine

PhyreEngine runs on ALL Sony hardware, Xbox 360, and PC.

P5's engine is very likely derivative of that and easy to port. I also happen to be playing Atelier Totori (a PE-powered game) and while its over-clocking the Vita's GPU, it's the PS3 game.

I don't think they'll release two SKUs at launch, but actually making them? Borderline trivia.

Squire

Banned
I assume they're smart enough to make the game easily port-able right out the door for maximum and efficient milkage.

Yep, and PE is the tool to do it, 'cause GUST is crank in' 'em out like clockwork.

Edit: They just switched over to Koei's engine for that Rorona remake though.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it trivial, but porting a game that was designed for portability from the ground up certainly takes far less effort than completely rewriting a new version of a game.

Sophia

I wouldn't go so far as to call it trivial, but porting a game that was designed for portability from the ground up certainly takes far less effort than completely rewriting a new version of a game.

Right, it's not really trivial in the sense of no work. You're still optimizing code, downscaling assists for the target engine, etc, etc. After all, how many PS3 and PC games came out with poor unoptimized ports this generation? But it's trivial in comparison to what Dantis is suggesting. You don't have to remake all you assits (you were already downscaling them before after all!) nor recode your entire game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom