• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazzy

I see someone is enjoying Totori.

Those games would be amongst the most relaxing, were it not for the crazy scheduling you have to keep to meet everyone's requirements. It's presented as being a really open system, but it's surprisingly unintuitive.

Squire

Banned
image.php

I see someone is enjoying Totori.

It's a pleasant game that doesn't explain itself very well. I like it. Cordelia is cool.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it trivial, but porting a game that was designed for portability from the ground up certainly takes far less effort than completely rewriting a new version of a game.

Yeah, I would suspect this is a big part of why all the games are available on PSP/Vita at this point; they're relatively easy to get there and their design schemes benefit.

Now, they could radically change P5's structure, of course. Who knows!

Right, it's not really trivial in the sense of no work. You're still optimizing code, downscaling assists for the target engine, etc, etc. After all, how many PS3 and PC games came out with poor unoptimized ports this generation? But it's trivial in comparison to what Dantis is suggesting. You don't have to remake all you assits (you were already downscaling them before after all!) nor recode your entire game.

Yes, this is what I meant. Apologies for mincing words.

cjkeats

*sigh*

And I'll buy each port for some reason.
Sigh....me too.
I knew I shouldn't trust people who don't like Breakin Through
Dude, I watched 2012 again the other night and good lord he absolutely killed it.

Those games would be amongst the most relaxing, were it not for the crazy scheduling you have to keep to meet everyone's requirements. It's presented as being a really open system, but it's surprisingly unintuitive.
That's what made me stop playing :( I never got very far.
It's a pleasant game that doesn't explain itself very well. I like it. Cordelia is cool.
lol, couldn't remember exactly who that was in your avartar so I googled it and found a GAF thread and this. Times a' changing!

Squire

Banned
lol, couldn't remember exactly who that was in your avartar so I googled it and found a GAF thread and this. Times a' changing!

Wow! A whole year ago, too!

That was before I got into Persona. P4G basically revitalized my interest in JRPGs. FFXIII did a number on my attitude towards the genre. I've definitely made a concerted effort to try more things outside my comfort zone though. It's been a rewarding year.

cjkeats

I got the true ending, and having watched that, I can't believe that they didn't make that more accessible. It pretty much changes the entire dynamic.

Sounds interesting. I'll go back to it after I finish SMT IV for the podcast, Persona 2 because that got it's claws in hard, and then P3 again because I want to play it again after all this talk, and then Project Diva is too soon and oh god too many games.

cjkeats

That was before I got into Persona. P4G basically revitalized my interest in JRPGs. FFXIII did a number on my attitude towards the genre. I've definitely made a concerted effort to try more things outside my comfort zone though. It's been a rewarding year.

Yup, Persona did the same to me too. Played it last summer, and it's the thing I hold responsible for falling in love with both JRPGs and Anime all over again.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Sounds interesting. I'll go back to it after I finish SMT IV for the podcast, Persona 2 because that got it's claws in hard, and then P3 again because I want to play it again after all this talk, and then Project Diva is too soon and oh god too many games.

HURRY. UP.

Use this as motivation, or something.

P3 got me back into JRPGs for whatever reason, though mostly Atlus JRPGs.

Sophia

I never stopped playing JRPGs. There was a period of time there where I was disappointed at what JRPGs were not available on the HD consoles however. :(

Squire

Banned
P3 got me back into JRPGs for whatever reason, though mostly Atlus JRPGs.

I can understand that. I'm still picky, even in being willing to try more things. Like, I'm fairly certain the buck stops at Atelier as far as me and NISA games are concerned.

Tamanon

Banned
Persona 3/4 kept me in JPRGs. There haven't been many I've enjoyed since. Vesperia was great. Disappointed in FF13. Kept trying the various Atelierish games without much success.

Atlus and the Tales games are pretty much my last bastion of JRPGs.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I can understand that. I'm still picky, even in being willing to try more things. Like, I'm fairly certain the buck stops at Atelier as far as me and NISA games are concerned.

Only NIS game I can tolerate is Disgaea, but even then, I only go through the story. I don't have the time to grind for all the super secret stuff.

cjkeats

NISA are stellar writers when it comes to a certain series that I know you prudes are afraid to play so I won't mention. ;)
They can be funny fuckers when they want to be.
HURRY. UP.

Use this as motivation, or something.

That just makes me want to play P3 more!

Daimaou

I enjoyed a JRPG here or there when I was younger, but they weren't really my bread and butter until after Nocturne hit stateside and Atlus started pumping out great stuff fairly regularly.

Squire

Banned
Persona 3/4 kept me in JPRGs. There haven't been many I've enjoyed since. Vesperia was great. Disappointed in FF13. Kept trying the various Atelierish games without much success.

Tales is getting there for me. The art is a big sticking point for me, but Xillia 2 seems to finally rectify that and if I'm saying I like Atelier, I probably won't be able to get away without playing that one.

Sophia

I have never played a proper Atelier game. Only the Iris trilogy, because my local rental place has never gotten any of the PS3 ones.

I feel privileged to be old enough to have gotten into JRPGs with Final Fantasy IV....

Caladrius

I got into RPG's with Paper Mario and pokemon. Once I realized the former ship had sailed and since pokemon takes so much time time between generations I started looking for other games to get my fix.

One day I heard about this weird series. There were regular people in a modern day setting with a major character I could relate to that the rest of gaming had yet to touch with a 50 yard pole. And there were monsters to collect and customize.

image.php

PK Gaming

1) The harem queen boss from Persona 1 is disgusting, in more ways than one.

Yuck.

2) I am getting some major Persona 4 vibes here. Classic face-your-true-self stuff here.

Musolf815

I started JRPG's with Pokemon if that counts. I liked FFX as a kid even though I only watched my brother play it and he never beat it. P4G is still my top one, but I'm playing P3, Kingdom Hearts, and FFX right now.

Sophia

Yuck.

2) I am getting some major Persona 4 vibes here. Classic face-your-true-self stuff here.

Yeah, that's where the themes originated from. Although one can argue that Persona 4 may or may not have handled it with more style.

cjkeats

Yuck.

Ahh yes, the Harem Queen. What a name.
You'll find P1 to give you major vibes from more than just P4. When you finish be sure to get buddha going on his theories. Absolutely fascinating.

Tamanon

Banned
I have never played a proper Atelier game. Only the Iris trilogy, because my local rental place has never gotten any of the PS3 ones.

I feel privileged to be old enough to have gotten into JRPGs with Final Fantasy IV....

I started JRPGs with Lufia and the Breath of Fire games.

Before that, I was doing RPGs forever, from Bard's Tale and Ultima 1 to the Gold Box AD&D games.

Sophia

I started JRPGs with Lufia and the Breath of Fire games.

Before that, I was doing RPGs forever, from Bard's Tale and Ultima 1 to the Gold Box AD&D games.

Ha. I'm not quite old enough to have experienced Ultima 1... That said I got to experience Eye of the Beholder on the Sega CD, so it's still a favorite of mine.

Due to hand me downs from cousins, I also had copies of Wizardy VI and Wizardy VII on the PC.

kewlmyc

Same for me. Dungeon crawling bores me to tears so P3/4 and the Tales games are the only JRPGs I've been able to enjoy, excluding Pokemon. Kingdom Hearts too I guess. I'll eventually retry to get into the SMT games though. Also P2 (P1 is currently boring me to tears).

Sophia

Wild Arms:(
Suikoden :(

Wild Arms is something I always felt would translate to HD very well. Imagine a steampunk setting with the visual landscape of Red Dead Reption and the cel-shading of Valkyria Chronicles. For added points, play The Ecstasy of Gold while you imagine it.

Actually, it's kinda how I picture Persona 5. Basically a fully realized Tatsumi Port Island/Sumaru City with battles taking place in the environment, but turn based.

Wild Arms is something I always felt would translate to HD very well. Imagine a steampunk setting with the visual landscape of Red Dead Reption and the cel-shading of Valkyria Chronicles. For added points, play The Ecstasy of Gold while you imagine it.

Funnily enough, the map theme for Wild Arms Alter Code F (which is wonderful, by the way) actually IS L'Estasi d'ell Oro!

That song's amazing though. Definitely one of Morricone's best.

Sophia

Funnily enough, the map theme for Wild Arms Alter Code F (which is wonderful, by the way) actually IS L'Estasi d'ell Oro!

That song's amazing though. Definitely one of Morricone's best.

Yes I know, hence why I suggested it. It's also the map theme in the original Wild Arms; Alter Code F is a remake. Michiko Naruke is a very talented composer. :)

If I recall correctly, she got permission from Morricone himself to do the homage.

Tamanon

Banned

Actually, it's kinda how I picture Persona 5. Basically a fully realized Tatsumi Port Island/Sumaru City with battles taking place in the environment, but turn based.

Wild Arms could also really benefit from the advancement in third-person exploration technology. The puzzle rooms were always fun in the game.

Young Magus

My 1st JRPG was Chrono Trigger
The DS version when it first came out, I'm sad I started soooooooooooo late with JRPG's

EDIT: Hah funny you all brought up WildARMS, I have the first two WildARMS on my vita. I should really get to playing them soon

Original OP is boss

Jintor

There's no possible way it could ever have made sense, but I would have loved to call the Investigation Team "The Scoobies" at some point

Same for me. Dungeon crawling bores me to tears so P3/4 and the Tales games are the only JRPGs I've been able to enjoy, excluding Pokemon. Kingdom Hearts too I guess. I'll eventually retry to get into the SMT games though. Also P2 (P1 is currently boring me to tears).

You dissapoint me greatly.

Squire

Banned
There's no possible way it could ever have made sense, but I would have loved to call the Investigation Team "The Scoobies" at some point

There's... There's a Scooby-Doo reference in there though... right? Doesn't someone say "zoinks" at one point or something?

Edit: Also, about that Rise: Mui did it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom