• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

Yeah, I used to be able to hold my own against Flux, but he 4-0'd me a week ago or so in the GAF tourney, so...yeah. Just don't really have much motivation to practice these days.

P4C/P4A2 restored my hype for the game a bit, so I'm hoping to get back into it.

P4C is the lifeblood the game needed. Everyone's starting to get back into it.Their post support for the original was virtually non-existent as evident by the fact that they haven't changed the title screen message.

Jintor

I have Last of Us sitting on my desk and I haven't fucking had the chance to play it yet. Guess I'll start this week.

Dantis play Gone Home.

Dantis

I have Last of Us sitting on my desk and I haven't fucking had the chance to play it yet. Guess I'll start this week.

Dantis play Gone Home.

I really want to, but mostly because Remo wrote the OST, haha.

I hear nothing but good things about it though. Might wait for a Steam sale on it.

Meia

Plot(speculation) of Arena 2:
The story will take place after Elizabeth figures out how to free Makoto from the seal, which can only be done in the TV world because of reasons. 3's cast is overjoyed, bringing in Yukari who drops everything the second she finds out, but somehow 4's IT realizes that it could signal the end of the world, and fights to stop it. Fighting in the TV world ensues.

Only guessing this based on the "game over" screen, which obviously features 3's cast and 4's cast on opposite sides, with I'm hoping Makoto's portrait in the middle to be added later.

RANDOM SPECULATION IS FUN! C'mon Dantis, GET HYPED! :D

Sophia

They are not going to undermine the plot of Persona 3 like that, Meia.

Also you know what's more fun than random speculation? Acting. :p

Trigger

The story will take place after Elizabeth figures out how to free Makoto from the seal, which can only be done in the TV world because of reasons. 3's cast is overjoyed, bringing in Yukari who drops everything the second she finds out, but somehow 4's IT realizes that it could signal the end of the world, and fights to stop it. Fighting in the TV world ensues.

Only guessing this based on the "game over" screen, which obviously features 3's cast and 4's cast on opposite sides, with I'm hoping Makoto's portrait in the middle to be added later.

I can actually see this as the plot.

Meia

They are not going to undermine the plot of Persona 3 like that, Meia.

Also you know what's more fun than random speculation? Acting. :p

Hey, they have to have some way to
bring in Makoto. Someone else put it best: Kind of odd to have a Persona 3 anime where we give the 3 MC an official name and character, and then after that's finally solid and concrete, hey here's Arena 2!
:)

There has to be more than just those 2 characters I would think, and outside of Margaret, I can't think of many others at this point.
Bonus points if Makoto realizes what's going on and sides with the IT in their effort of trying to fix it when 3's team succeeds with Elizabeth. Can also see 'ol Nyarl behind this plan as well. "Poor child, want to bring Makoto back? Sure, here's how!"

Squire

Banned
"Our game is about accepting death, so we're going to undermine the entire goddamn story in a spinoff game in the beginning of it!"

Uhhh.... Yeah, no. That would be silly.

Would also be cross-promotion for Spring of Birth. Depends on which is more valuable to them!

Sophia

I can think of many many characters.
All of whom make more sense than the Persona 3 protagonist.
For one, we have the entire original Persona cast. For another, we're still lacking in playable villains that are standard in ArcSys fighting games.

Meia

I can think of many many characters.
All of whom make more sense than the Persona 3 protagonist.
For one, we have the entire original Persona cast. For another, we're still lacking in playable villains that are standard in ArcSys fighting games.

That is a good point. We don't have a "villain" yet like Shadow Labrys was in Arena. Then again, we wouldn't need one if the main idea of Arena 2 was 3 vs. 4. You also can't forget that they have to come up with SOME reason why they'd even fight each other again in the first place.

Then again, the fact that each character has a "shadow" version of that character could also be why.
Though if this was the case I could see Nyarl as the main villain in the game. Not as a playable character, but a classic "uber fighting game boss monster" other fights have done over the years.

Dantis, you should be more excited, apparently this game is going to have three versions of Labrys in it. Wonder why they are giving Labrys shadow type when her shadow is already playable. A version without Asterius? Seems kinda weird.

Ehh they don't need to be on opposite sides when they're introducing all these shadows.

And
I dunno how I feel about the idea of breaking P3 protag's seal. I know it has Elizabeth setting out to do this in the last game but I got the impression it was something that was going to take an incredibly long time to figure out how to do. Doesn't she feel she's in a position to do this because she's got a ridiculously long lifespan or something?

FluxWaveZ

For another, we're still lacking in playable villains that are standard in ArcSys fighting games.

I would have said that one of the new characters would have to be an antagonist, but that's before every character except for Elizabeth and Shadow Labrys got Shadow versions of themselves.

I still think that, in the end, there'll be 4-6 more characters than Junpei and Yukari. I think two others will be Makoto Yuki (perhaps not as we knew him) and someone else who's not necessarily from Persona 3 or Persona 4, but I don't think there'll be any Persona 1 or Persona 2 characters.

Sophia

I would have said that one of the new characters would have to be an antagonist, but that's before every character except for Elizabeth and Shadow Labrys got Shadow versions of themselves.

I still think that, in the end, there'll be 4-6 more characters than Junpei and Yukari. I think two others will be Makoto Yuki (perhaps not as we knew him) and someone else who's not necessarily from Persona 3 or Persona 4, but I don't think there'll be any Persona 1 or Persona 2 characters.

Given that Nyarlathotep is a shape shifter and most likely the Malevolent Entity, I'd always assumed he would have one of the two last spots. He fills in a niche that currently isn't filled in (Double/Arakune) by any other cast member, and he wouldn't need a shadow type option. It's pretty standard for the previous non-playable villain to be playable too in ArcSys games.

The primary reason I don't believe there will be 4-6 more characters is because they already effectively doubled the roster with Shadow Type characters. That would be a balancing nightmare if all of them had Shadow Type options as well. Plus, ArcSys loves their symmetrical menus. Examples: Blazblue. Guilty Gear #1. Guilty Gear #2

Meia

Dantis, you should be more excited, apparently this game is going to have three versions of Labrys in it. Wonder why they are giving Labrys shadow type when her shadow is already playable. A version without Asterius? Seems kinda weird.

Ehh they don't need to be on opposite sides when they're introducing all these shadows.

And
I dunno how I feel about the idea of breaking P3 protag's seal. I know it has Elizabeth setting out to do this in the last game but I got the impression it was something that was going to take an incredibly long time to figure out how to do. Doesn't she feel she's in a position to do this because she's got a ridiculously long lifespan or something?

Well, don't forget that in terms of Arena's story, nobody exactly predicted Elizabeth's involvement in it either, which is why she kinds of says "fuck it" and does what she wants(was hilarious to see her run roughshod over everything, then peacing out when she was done).

But hey, she's a known entity now, and if we were right about who the real main villain of Arena was, he could easily use her as a new pawn just by giving her some knowledge. Heck, the game itself now could be her "journey." Of course, it's probably highly unlikely that the residents of the Velvet Room are unfamiliar with him though.

Dantis

SPECULATION:

I think the shadow versions will be P2 style shadows, whereas Shabrys is a P4 type shadow. The P2 shadows were, like, aspects of Nyarlathotep or something, as I recall. Thus the need for two Shabrys'.

FluxWaveZ

Given that Nyarlathotep is a shape shifter and most likely the Malevolent Entity, I'd always assumed he would have one of the two last spots. He fills in a niche that currently isn't filled in (Double/Arakune) by any other cast member, and he wouldn't need a shadow type option. It's pretty standard for the previous non-playable villain to be playable too in ArcSys games.

The primary reason I don't believe there will be 4-6 more characters is because they already effectively doubled the roster with Shadow Type characters. That would be a balancing nightmare if all of them had Shadow Type options as well. Plus, ArcSys loves their symmetrical menus. Examples: Blazblue. Guilty Gear #1. Guilty Gear #2

Wait, do you mean a niche filled in terms of aesthetics or gameplay? Because if it's the former, I'd say that
that was Teddie's purpose
. If it's the latter, I'd say it's been covered by other characters in the game already.

I don't imagine the menus won't be symmetrical, but much like the menu they showed for the loketest of the original P4A, I don't believe this one could be final.

SPECULATION:

I think the shadow versions will be P2 style shadows, whereas Shabrys is a P4 type shadow. The P2 shadows were, like, aspects of Nyarlathotep or something, as I recall. Thus the need for two Shabrys'.

That's also what I think.

Sophia

Wait, do you mean a niche filled in terms of aesthetics or gameplay? Because if it's the former, I'd say that
that was Teddie's purpose
. If it's the latter, I'd say it's been covered by other characters in the game already.

I don't imagine the menus won't be symmetrical, but much like the menu they showed for the loketest of the original P4A, I don't believe this one could be final.

More gameplay than aesthetics. There aren't really that many characters that fill such a niche in.

Also, the original Loketest for P4A had the menus spread outward as they added characters. It still stayed symmetrical, and quite a few people guessed the final (arcade) character count. :p

SPECULATION:

I think your speculation is completely on the mark, unlike some other people. :p

PK Gaming

Yeah I don't think they're going to undermine the main story of P3 in a spinoff. Wasn't it obvious that Elizabeth's mission was a hopeless one?
Getting humanity to change for Makoto Yuki? Get real Liz :/

But at the same time, I don't think they're going to skip out on the P3MC due to "reasons." That's really silly, considering his position as the MC of P3 and his moveset potential. It's like if they made a star wars fighting game that takes place after return of the jedi and decided to
skimp out on darth vader because he's "dead."
I could sort of understand skipping out on him in P4A, but they have no reason to do so now.

I really hate making grand predictions, but there's no doubt in my mind that P3MC will become playable in P4A2. Either through
Nyarlathotep wizardry or just as a secret character

FluxWaveZ

Yeah I don't think they're going to undermine the main story of P3 in a spinoff. Wasn't it obvious that Elizabeth's mission was a hopeless one?
Getting humanity to change for Makoto Yuki? Get real Liz :/

Yeah,
it was implied that her mission was pretty far-fetched in the first place and that it might not even resurrect him, but just save his soul. Since the end of The Answer is all about the P3's cast vow to find a way to restore hope in humanity in order to lessen Makoto's burden, that might be part of the reason why Yukari decided to assume the role of a super heroine and Junpei as a baseball teacher.

More gameplay than aesthetics. There aren't really that many characters that fill such a niche in.

Also, the original Loketest for P4A had the menus spread outward as they added characters. It still stayed symmetrical, and quite a few people guessed the final (arcade) character count. :p

But, what niche does that fill? Arakune's a tricky character who is keepaway and evasive before getting Curse and is super aggressive once Curse is obtained. That's ala Aigis who is keepaway when she doesn't have Orgia but is rushdown once Orgia mode is activated. It could be even like Junpei who is presumably relatively weak until he becomes a force to be reckoned with as he levels up. I don't see how that niche isn't filled.

I mean that the overall design of the menu might not be final. Even if it was, 6 more characters would make it symmetrical if it remained exactly the same anyways (though I'm leaning more towards 4).

Onemic

P4C is the lifeblood the game needed. Everyone's starting to get back into it.Their post support for the original was virtually non-existent as evident by the fact that they haven't changed the title screen message.

Since the announcement I've been mulling practicing this game again, but with a non-stupid one dimensional character.(Akihiko ;_;) It seems no one plays the game online though, at least with a 1 or higher connection for me, so I'll probably have to wait until there's some concrete release date for NA consoles.

I still gotta say I'm really happy they're nerfing all the shitty one dimensional characters in this game. It's stupid seeing a 700+PSR Yu player online who has no real fundamentals and relies soley on DP'ing anytime you get pressure, multiple safe awakened supers, raging lion bullshit, and unavoidable vortex pressure. Turns it into a 1 player game.

SPECULATION:

My knowledge is kinda limited here because I haven't finished P2 yet, but isn't that what happens in Arena too?

The shadows for the characters other than Labrys weren't their real ones, right? They were created by whoever this bad guy is, hence why they could still use their personas and stuff? I assumed that's what these shadow types would be too. But Labrys accepted her shadow in the last game. So even if it is an 'aspect of Nyarlathotep' wouldn't it just act the same as the original Shadow Labrys? And how can her 'P4 type shadow' be back? Maybe the new one uses Ariadne and the old one isn't part of the story?

Daimaou

My knowledge is kinda limited here because I haven't finished P2 yet, but isn't that what happens in Arena too?

The shadows for the characters other than Labrys weren't their real ones, right? They were created by whoever this bad guy is, hence why they could still use their personas and stuff? I assumed that's what these shadow types would be too. But Labrys accepted her shadow in the last game. So even if it is an 'aspect of Nyarlathotep' wouldn't it just act the same as the original Shadow Labrys? And how can her 'P4 type shadow' be back? Maybe the new one uses Ariadne and the old one isn't part of the story?

It's unlikely that SLabrys is actually involved in the story for P4C, she's probably just still around because removing characters with unique fighting styles from fighting game rosters is stupid.

I probably didn't need to spoiler that, but whatever.

Rhapsody

Banned
Since the announcement I've been mulling practicing this game again, but with a non-stupid one dimensional character.(Akihiko ;_;) It seems no one plays the game online though, at least with a 1 or higher connection for me, so I'll probably have to wait until there's some concrete release date for NA consoles.

I still gotta say I'm really happy they're nerfing all the shitty one dimensional characters in this game. It's stupid seeing a 700+PSR Yu player online who has no real fundamentals and relies soley on DP'ing anytime you get pressure, multiple safe awakened supers, raging lion bullshit, and unavoidable vortex pressure. Turns it into a 1 player game.

Since I'm trying to not neglect P4A as much now, want to play later today in the afternoon? Also curious on what our connection is this time. Round 1 I was in Vegas but wasn't on a wired connection.

"get back into it", please, I wasn't getting out of it as is. I play dead fighters just like live ones.
by having fun but ultimately sucking :(
Hell, I still play JoJo's on my PS3 from time to time.
Yeah, all the fighting game duders should be. CrazyTank, Flux, Buddha; I would as well, but I'm getting SRIV and my funds are thinning.
I was gonna get the game this week, but Disney had to dangle a pretty damn nifty PSN pre-order bonus in my face for Castle of Illusion so now I'm kinda torn. Whichever I don't get now I'll definitely get in the next month or so.
For another, we're still lacking in playable villains that are standard in ArcSys fighting games.
I know we talked about this in the IRC but I'd seriously love the idea of
playable Nyarly in the form of Makoto just to fuck with the P3 cast. If they do it right it could work amazingly, imo.

kewlmyc

"Our game is about accepting death, so we're going to undermine the entire goddamn story in a spinoff game in the beginning of it!"

Uhhh.... Yeah, no. That would be silly.

We're talking about a game that none of us thought would exist two weeks ago. I wouldn't put anything past Atlus and Arcsys.

playable Nyarly in the form of Makoto just to fuck with the P3 cast. If they do it right it could work amazingly, imo.
I think I was the one who mentioned that.
It would make Makoto playable while not pissing off the P3 fanbase.
Kill two birds with one stone

Sophia

We're talking about a game that none of us thought would exist two weeks ago. I wouldn't put anything past Atlus and Arcsys.

Yeah but it's following a plotline that we knew would have a continuation eventually. We just didn't know if it was going to continue in P5 or P4A2 or whatever. :p

kewlmyc

Yeah but it's following a plotline that we knew would have a continuation eventually. We just didn't know if it was going to continue in P5 or P4A2 or whatever. :p

I'm just glad that it isn't P5 that will continue the story. P4A's story was fun, but it feels like pure fanservice. Maybe that's why all of these speculations that we're making sound actually plausible.

Lunar15

I'm just glad that it isn't P5 that will continue the story. P4A's story was fun, but it feels like pure fanservice. Maybe that's why all of these speculations that we're making sound actually plausible.

Yeah, I think they want to serve all these side plots through Arena. P5 will most likely be its own thing with some passing references to the other games.

Squire

Banned
I was gonna get the game this week, but Disney had to dangle a pretty damn nifty PSN pre-order bonus in my face for Castle of Illusion so now I'm kinda torn. Whichever I don't get now I'll definitely get in the next month or so.

Yeah, exactly. I'll get it, just not tomorrow. XD

Here's my question: How would Makoto play?

Gamerloid

One thing I want for the console version of P4A2 is some DLC characters that don't influence the story. That way characters like Mikoto can appear, as well as villains in the series. I'd love to play as
Adachi and his twisted Izanagi.
That would certainly increase the possibility of total characters we can have, while leaving the story intact with no retcons.

Squire

Banned
One thing I want for the console version of P4A2 is some DLC characters that don't influence the story. That way characters like Mikoto can appear, as well as villains in the series. I'd love to play as
Adachi and his twisted Izanagi.
That would certainly increase the possibility of total characters we can have, while leaving the story intact with no retcons.

LOL, what? There's no console version. Japan only!

Seriously though, they won't do that. The story is canon and they've continued to back that up in the changes they've made. Like Liz and S. Lab not having shadow variants. They're very clearly committed to keeping it so that everything that's in the game makes sense within the laws of the fiction.

Seriously though, they won't do that. The story is canon and they've continued to back that up in the changes they've made. Like Liz and S. Lab not having shadow variants. Their very clearly committed to keeping so that everything that's in the game makes sense within the laws of the fiction.

PR jargon pls, go rain on someone else' parade for only a couple of months

They should just stick in P3Mc as a bonus, non canon playable character. Pierced Boy, Tatsuya, Maya and P3 Female MC should be dlc for the $$$ hint hint arcsys.

hao chi

That would also perfectly fit the ME's MO of forcing friends to fight each other (though I'm sure you guys already thought of that).

In other words, I think there's a good chance that will happen.

Dantis

Seriously though, they won't do that. The story is canon and they've continued to back that up in the changes they've made. Like Liz and S. Lab not having shadow variants. They're very clearly committed to keeping it so that everything that's in the game makes sense within the laws of the fiction.

Yup. I also maintain that this was a mistake.

They should just stick in P3Mc as a bonus, non canon playable character. Pierced Boy, Tatsuya, Maya and P3 Female MC should be dlc for the $$$ hint hint arcsys.

I think the cost of developing a new character versus the number of sales the game will get (and accordingly, DLC sales) means that DLC characters are off the lists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom