• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squire

Banned
PR jargon pls, go rain on someone else' parade for only a couple of months

I seriously hope this is out on consoles globally in May.

They should just stick in P3Mc as a bonus, non canon playable character. Pierced Boy, Tatsuya, Maya and P3 Female MC should be dlc for the $$$ hint hint arcsys.

LOL, they're not doing bonuses. They're going out of their way to make sure everything ties in.

That's why it's worth pondering the difference between S. Lab and normal Lab's shadow edition. There's going to be an explicit plot justification for that.

Gamerloid

Seriously though, they won't do that. The story is canon and they've continued to back that up in the changes they've made. Like Liz and S. Lab not having shadow variants. They're very clearly committed to keeping it so that everything that's in the game makes sense within the laws of the fiction.

The story was pretty solid indeed. I just want to play as some villains ;_;

Tuesday, be a good day.

They should just stick in P3Mc as a bonus, non canon playable character. Pierced Boy, Tatsuya, Maya and P3 Female MC should be dlc for the $$$ hint hint arcsys.

Yeah, if people don't think old Shadow Labrys will be part of the new story and yet still playable, why not, right? ;)

Bite me canon, I want FeMC. Still don't think it will actually happen though...

Levito

Banned
The shadow stuff is all about the gameplay mechanics before the fiction. Shadow Labrys plays vastly different than Labrys so they couldn't just make her Labrys's shadow version.

Nanako/Ryotaro tag team believe.

Dantis

LOL, they're not doing bonuses. They're going out of their way to make sure everything ties in.

That's why it's worth pondering the difference between S. Lab and normal Lab's shadow edition. There's going to be an explicit plot justification for that.

I'm fairly sure that the plot justification will be what I said earlier, and Shabrys just won't be in the storyline.

But you're right about them justifying everything, and whilst I dislike it in this instance, it's a good philosophy in general.

FluxWaveZ

The shadow stuff is all about the gameplay mechanics before the fiction. Shadow Labrys plays vastly different than Labrys so they couldn't just make her Labrys's shadow version.

So why didn't they give a Shadow version to Elizabeth or Shadow Labrys?

Squire

Banned

Everything they've done up to this point has justification in the story. Whether that comes before or after it's designed is irrelevant. If they can't make sense of it in the plot, they won't do it. It's down to little things. Again, Liz doesn't have a shadow, for example.

kewlmyc

If that was true we would also have Shadow Elizabeth and Shadow Shadow Labrys. Canon is also the reason why your spoiler was canned.

Squire

Banned
I'm fairly sure that the plot justification will be what I said earlier, and Shabrys just won't be in the storyline.

But you're right about them justifying everything, and whilst I dislike it in this instance, it's a good philosophy in general.

Shabrys will still fit in somehow. She has to or they break their own rule and leave a really big stone unturned in doing so.

If they didn't have a plan, they just would've left normal Lab alone and said, "Yeah, her shadows in the game, so case closed." They kept the old one for a story reason.

PK Gaming

Yeah, exactly. I'll get it, just not tomorrow. XD

Here's my question: How would Makoto play?

That's a very good question.

My version of Makoto would have him fight with the various weapons he used in Persona 3. For example, his Light Attacks would be sword based, his heavy attacks would be axe based. His grab could have him punching the enemy with boxing gloves, etc. His Persona would be Orpheus, but I envision a mechanic where it changes into Messiah mid battle (Super perhaps?)

His instant kill would be great seal, obviously.

Squire

Banned
What's wrong with using several weapons :(

I wouldn't be happy if he used his 1-handed sword moveset.... We already have like 3 Sword users :/

I don't mind the concept, but it sounds as though it would look silly.

I don't know how he would play if he was included.

What's wrong with multiple weapons? Would be pretty unique rather than yet another sword character.

Remember Necrid from SoCal 2? Pretty much put me off multi-weapon characters. I do agree that he shouldn't use the short sword though. The game has enough swordsmen. I always wondered how they'd get around that for Junpei what with Yu being present and their solution seems genius to me.

FeMC would just use her naginata!

Levito

Banned

As I said, gameplay mechanics before the fiction, not the fiction is completely thrown out the window. Conversely you could say if it's all favoring the fiction than what plot justification is there for 2 shadow Labrys's?

As it stands right now there is no story to Climax. Though I'm sure they'll do their best when the console port happens to justify some of their decisions.

FluxWaveZ

I can't speak for SLabrys, but for Elizabeth it was probably due to the fact her SP meter works differently from other characters already.

Nah, I don't think that argument works since she'd just regain SP like her normal version does.

As I said, gameplay mechanics before the fiction, not the fiction is completely thrown out the window. Conversely you could say if it's all favoring the fiction than what plot justification is there for 2 shadow Labrys's?

As it stands right now there is no story to Climax. Though I'm sure they'll do their best when the console port happens to justify some of their decisions.

Then what you're saying is that gameplay mechanics support the fiction and not that one is placed before the other, because if it was the latter there'd still be the question of certain characters not getting Shadow versions.

Meia

I still think they do story before gameplay, or else we'd have had Dojima with a Nanako persona. :p

Squire

Banned

I highly doubt that. There are far too many loose ends in P4A. The story is not present in the arcade version, but it's assuredly outlined somewhere. They knew where they were going, they informed Arc, and Arc went from there. There's no reason to believe otherwise.

I'm sure there's a story justification for 2 S. Labs; we just won't know what that is until the console port is out.

kewlmyc

I'm sure there some sort of story. Arcade mode exist. I'll probably be like BB where the console story mode is a more fleshed out arcade mode.

Haha Necrid was a total dork, I agree.

When I think of multiple weapons, I think of Bartz or Vaan from the Dissidia games.

I think of Dante from MvC3.

A post about my bullshit dream roster complete with pics inbound, you have been warned.

Lol, bring it on.

Squire

Banned
Haha Necrid was a total dork, I agree.

When I think of multiple weapons, I think of Bartz or Vaan from the Dissidia games.

Hahaha! We're talking about Dissidia on twitter right now!

Didn't like it. I felt it tried to be too much and too poorly. I got what they were going for though. A representation/translation of FF's RPG mechanics into a fighting game. P4A is far better at that.

PK Gaming

I highly doubt that. There are far too many loose ends in P4A. The story is not present in the arcade version, but it's assuredly outlined somewhere. They knew where they were going, they informed Arc, and Arc went from there. There's no reason to be believe otherwise.

I'm sure there's a story justification for 2 S. Labs; we just won't know what that is until the console port is out.

My theory:

Vanilla S.lab won't be present in the story at all, but the Shadow Labrys that uses Ariadne is going to be a
shadow created by the malevolent entity, just like the rest of the shadows w/ Persona.

Squire

Banned
My theory:

Vanilla S.lab won't be present in the story at all, but the Shadow Labrys that uses Ariadne is going to be a
shadow created by the malevolent entity, just like the rest of the shadows w/ persona.

Every character on that roster will be in the story.

kewlmyc

My theory:

shadow created by the malevolent entity, just like the rest of the shadows w/ Persona.

Probably, explains why the shadows can use personas as well.

Rhapsody

Banned

Agreed. If it was all gameplay, they'd probably make some sort of substitute for it. Kinda like in SFXT with Heihachi. Namco said he wouldn't sink to such a level and use something evil like Pandora, so Capcom just made him red instead lol

Levito

Banned
Then what you're saying is that gameplay mechanics support the fiction and not that one is placed before the other, because if it was the latter there'd still be the question of certain characters not getting Shadow versions.

I'm saying I think they do in fact put gameplay mechanics before the fiction, but they don't outright ignore the fiction either.

Like I said, 2 Shadow Labrys's makes no sense within the fiction either.

And who's to say Elizabeth wont get a Shadow version either? Still a possibility, assuming she wont at all is like assuming that those 2 empty character slots will remain empty.

Squire

Banned
I'm saying I think they do in fact put gameplay mechanics before the fiction, but they don't outright ignore the fiction either.

And who's to say Elizabeth wont get a Shadow version either? Still a possibility, assuming she wont at all is like assuming that those 2 empty character slots will remain empty.

Did you even read my post? XD They clearly don't operate that way.

I disagree. Shabrys doesn't exist any more. She became Ariadne.

Nope. Would've pulled her off the roster then.

Squire

Banned
Again, I disagree. She's a unique character. Throwing away content due to story would be silly.

They don't include anything without story justification, so she's got a place in that plot.

Again, if they were inclined to include side-line content that's not relevant to the story, Liz would have a Shadow flavor.

FluxWaveZ

The explanation for two Shadow Labrys characters being part of the roster remains to be seen, but I don't think the fact that Elizabeth and S. Lab were the only characters who did not have Shadow versions of themselves in the location test build is at all close to the same significance of there being two empty spots blatantly in the character select screen.

PK Gaming

Every character on that roster will be in the story.

It doesn't seem likely S.lab will ever make a return in the story outside of flashbacks, since she's Ariadne now. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing her make a reappearance.

tumblr_m8d029lpwD1rpyb5jo1_r1_500.png

I freaking love Shadow Labrys.

Squire

Banned
Removing a character just because they aren't relevant anymore doesn't seem like something Arcsys would do. If push come to shove, they'll just throw her into a flashback or something.

Giving her presence/relevance in the story then and proving my point.

FluxWaveZ

Was it confirmed that Shabrys and Liz were absolutely not going to have shadow forms or were they just not in the build?

They weren't in the build. Nothing official has been said about anything except for the fact that "there are no plans for a console release of the game."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom