• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamerloid

Read some of those Nanako being the killer theories. Some were alright, while others just made me laugh.

They weren't in the build. Nothing official has been said about anything except for the fact that "there are no plans for a console release of the game."

Good thing plans are always changing :p

Levito

Banned
but I don't think the fact that Elizabeth and S. Lab were the only characters who did not have Shadow versions of themselves in the location test build is at all close to the same significance of there being two empty spots blatantly in the character select screen.

Most definitely, but what I was getting at is it was an early location test where not everything was shown. It's not out of the question.

Which part(s) do you dispute?

An explanation for 2 Shadow Labrys's, and that they planned the story out for Arena/Climax well ahead of time/given a lot of thought.

At the end of the day it's a spin off fighting game, the plot/story are not integral to the experience. The story in the first game, for the most part, was not exactly a gripping narrative. Some of the stories(like Aigis's or Mitsuru's) where great, but for the most part the best thing about Arena's story was just the(general) fan service, IE: Chie and Akihiko's broing it up.

I mean, even their justification for the characters fighting eachother was pretty silly. For example, do you really think a ton of thought went into Yukiko's story in Arena? Boxed Lunches Boxed Lunches Boxed Lunches Boxed Lunches :p

I loved Arena's single player campaign, but it's certainly nothing amazing, and pretty damn poor in comparison to the RPG's. That's fine though, spin off fighting game, sweating the small stuff is for Dantis to do. :p

Squire

Banned
This thread needs that "Don't believe his lies" pic with atlusprime's avatar 'shopped in.

I agree plot isn't integral, but I think they should be given credit for what they did write and how clearly deliberate it was.

I'm sure they didn't have a full script for Climax ages ago, but again, you can tell from Arena's loose ends that they certainly knew where they were going and thus they likely had a strong outline for Arc to follow, and know what they can add and what they can't.

Story is an afterthought for most fighters. For P4A it's at the very least a primary concern. I mean, Arena's story mode is a VN. Because that's Atlus' bread-and-butter; that's their involvement in the game and everything that's happening is canon.

We can and do (often) debate about whether this stuff is good, but it is without question a priority for them.

FluxWaveZ

It's amazing how the meaning of a simple sentence can change when the last 3 words in it are "at this time" :p

Was that the official wording? Only thing I could find from the IGN article was:

The updated version of Persona 4 Arena is not currently planned for a release in the US, an Atlus representative tells IGN, and is an "arcade-only update."

Regardless, it's not as though anyone here believes that that's the case. I was one of the first people to laugh at those taking the comment seriously in the P4A2 thread.

Caladrius

They weren't in the build. Nothing official has been said about anything except for the fact that "there are no plans for a console release of the game."

Therein lies the snag. I'm holding my breath until we get definitive statements. Slabrys and Elizabeth are some of the stranger characters in terms of playstyle, which leads me to believe that if "Shadow" Forms exist they may have needed more time to iron them out.

be warned, this post im making of my dream roster is fucking MASSIVE, and totally impossible, so you have been warned for the final time.

Was that the official wording? Only thing I could find from the IGN article was:
According to a quote in Joystiq yes.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/16/persona-4-arena-arcade-only-update-adds-new-fighters-moves-sys/
Currently, there is no plan for any of these changes to come to the console versions, either here or in Japan: "It's an arcade-only update," Atlus' John Hardin told us. "No plans to bring it to the U.S. at this time."

just smell the PR jargon

kewlmyc

Caladrius

Is there anyone in PersonaGAF that actually wants it on 3DS?

Maybe not "Want" but I would be okay with it. I'm not certain how much they could fit into the game that way though. The game probably wouldn't need the scale and variety of Tokyo and could probably manage the 250 models or so needed for battles, but they may want to be more ambitious than that.

Does anyone know how large Persona 4 was on PS2?

Marche90

I thought DQIX was the full experience. Then again, I don't really care for the franchise, so maybe I'm just pulling stuff from my ass.

As for the question, I wouldn't mind if it were on 3DS, since a) that would mean not having to buy new hardware and b) I didn't do the generational jump properly (I only had a wii this gen and all my laptops have always had crappy graphic cards) so it doesn't annoy me seeing sub-sd resolutions in recent games. BUT, seeing as I still can enjoy RPG's in home consoles despite my previous statements (thanks, Xenoblade :lol) , I would prefer if it were on PS3.

Meia

There's been so few console JRPGs this gen, I'd probably be pissed if it was on anything other than one. Though the CBOAT post makes me worried about Xbox when it comes to Persona, no matter how unlikely it is.

I just want Persona on a big screen, is that so much to ask? :p

There's been so few console JRPGs this gen, I'd probably be pissed if it was on anything other than one. Though the CBOAT post makes me worried about Xbox when it comes to Persona, no matter how unlikely it is.

yes.

BTW that giant post is still being written, I am just procrastinating :p

Meia

be warned, this post im making of my dream roster is fucking MASSIVE, and totally impossible, so you have been warned for the final time.

yes.

BTW that giant post is still being written, I am just procrastinating :p

wwe_the_rock_says_bring_it-42991.gif

Ya know, I don't think I can look at Rock anything without Chie hair/glasses. :\

Squire

Banned
I thought DQIX was the full experience. Then again, I don't really care for the franchise, so maybe I'm just pulling stuff from my ass.

As for the question, I wouldn't mind if it were on 3DS, since a) that would mean not having to buy new hardware and b) I didn't do the generational jump properly (I only had a wii this gen and all my laptops have always had crappy graphic cards) so it doesn't annoy me seeing sub-sd resolutions in recent games. BUT, seeing as I still can enjoy RPG's in home consoles despite my previous statements (thanks, Xenoblade :lol) , I would prefer if it were on PS3.

I think DQIX was the full experience it just looked like a browser game whereas DQVIII is one of the best looking games on the PS2.

And speak for yourself. I don't own a 3DS and despite wanting AA5, I don't expect I will any time soon thanks to Nintendo's Stone Age, "Everyone's a predator!" attitude with regards to online functionality.

If we're bringing insiders into this, Verendus has already said P5 is exclusive to Sony hardware, so there you go.

Meia

I think DQIX was the full experience it just looked like a browser game whereas DQVIII is one of the best looking games on the PS2.

And speak for yourself. I don't own a 3DS and despite wanting AA5, I don't expect I will any time soon thanks to Nintendo's Stone Age, "Everyone's a predator!" attitude with regards to online functionality.

If we're bringing insiders into this, Verendus has already said P5 is exclusive to Sony hardware, so there you go.

So then it just needs to not be on the Vita, or the new Vita redesign we all know is coming better have HDMI out capabilities. Even then, game size will probably make it a problem. :(

Betting it all on PS3.

kewlmyc

PS3 or bust.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

This is probably why my $30 credit will sit and rot for about 20 years until Nintendo finally catches up to the rest of the modern world in regards to the internet.

It's a fucking joke.

EMT0

Banned
Speaking of Persona 5
lolinorite?
, does anybody think that Atlus is going to go full-hog on the budget? Persona is easily their biggest IP, so a part of me can't help but feel that they're pouring the money in so that they can go more mainstream with it. I feel that if Persona 3 Portable hadn't been on a handheld that was dead in the West and had actually had a sizable advertising budget, it could have been one of the few games that female consumers go out to buy whenever it comes out, like Animal Crossing.

Well, let me rephrase that, because Persona 3 is not the game you'd want to do this with. If Persona 4 had a female protagonist and a marketing budget, I feel like it could have been a breakout hit for Atlus instead of being a game for a fairly sizable niche that loves it to bits.

It just seems to have the right elements to appeal to teenage girls, IMO.

I don't want this to happen.

FluxWaveZ

Speaking of Persona 5
lolinorite?
, does anybody think that Atlus is going to go full-hog on the budget? Persona is easily their biggest IP, so a part of me can't help but feel that they're pouring the money in so that they can go more mainstream with it. I feel that if Persona 3 Portable hadn't been on a handheld that was dead in the West and had actually had a sizable advertising budget, it could have been one of the few games that female consumers go out to buy whenever it comes out, like Animal Crossing.

Well, let me rephrase that, because Persona 3 is not the game you'd want to do this with. If Persona 4 had a female protagonist and a marketing budget, I feel like it could have been a breakout hit for Atlus instead of being a game for a fairly sizable niche that loves it to bits.

It just seems to have the right elements to appeal to teenage girls, IMO.

I don't want this to happen.

What are you talking about.

I've been enjoying the weather app quite a bit. The lewd is strong with this one.

The after midnight stuff is cool too.

Hey, YOU'RE the one that enabled swimsuit mode!

And, I think the implied cunnilingus and Rise/Yukiko threesome are worse than those you posted...

EMT0

Banned
What are you talking about.

It's a story-based game that's focused around relationships with some dungeon crawling on the side that gets progressively easier as the games come out. It just seems like it'd be something that'd appeal to women, if they actually knew it existed.

Well, okay. Persona 4 was. Persona 3 was more plot-driven, despite the social links.

EDIT:
I don't get it

Dantis

It's a story-based game that's focused around relationships with some dungeon crawling on the side that gets progressively easier as the games come out. It just seems like it'd be something that'd appeal to women, if they actually knew it existed.

Well, okay. Persona 4 was. Persona 3 was more plot-driven, despite the social links.

EDIT:
I don't get it

I think the answer is... yes? Potentially, the series could be appealing to girls.

However, I'd say that they're very much targeting a male audience with the direction they're taking recently.

Meia

Personally, I just want them, when the release it, to make sure it's as profitable as possible so they can keep on keeping on.

And SHIT I didn't know there was a just bikini one. Going to go toggle that bitch right.......now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom