• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
However, I'd say that they're very much targeting a male audience with the direction they're taking recently.

It's too bad we will never know the statistics of people who played P3P chose the female protagonist, but I assume it would be low. I'd be up for a female-centered Persona game (or "Catherine" equivalent).

Dantis

It's too bad we will never know the statistics of people who played P3P chose the female protagonist, but I assume it would be low. I'd be up for a female-centered Persona game (or "Catherine" equivalent).

I think a LOT of people chose the female protagonist, but most weren't women.

First time players or people who already played Persona 3 and just wanted something different? I can't see many people picking the female as their first character who are new to the game (in Mass Effect, only 20 or so percent played as a woman).

cjkeats

Also, because it was a new thing in a game a lot had already played.
The hell is that green blob?

Oreomo?

Yes and no. It's kind of a signature from Kanzaki Hiro, the character designer of Oreimo, but it's most commonly seen in his always awesome Miku art. I cut it from the Oreimo opening.

Isn't that iOS 7? You're a developer?

No not at all. But according to Apple, developers are using my devices.

Pretty much. I've only played through P3P as FeMC myself. If I wanted to play as Makoto I'd play FES.

FeMC is kind of better anyway.

P3FES > P3P

Female MC > Makoto

I bit off more than I could chew with this long ass post, BACK TO DOING IT. SPOILERS R FUN

kewlmyc

P3FES > P3P

Female MC > Makoto

I bit off more than I could chew with this long ass post, BACK TO DOING IT. SPOILERS R FUN

I like FES more too. Can't commit on FeMC since I accidentally deleted my save halfway through playing her and never restarted. From what I played, she has more interesting choices than Makoto, but her bubbly attitude didn't seem to fit the game all that well. The less interesting dialogue is the writer's fault though, not the character.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I can't imagine a lot of people liking P3P over Fes. So many things compromised that it takes away a lot of the fun.

Of course there are some things that make P3P better.

FemMC being one of them. :3

(PS where is the full version of your avatar from?)

Marche90

^Superior controls, man. That is all

And speak for yourself. I don't own a 3DS and despite wanting AA5, I don't expect I will any time soon thanks to Nintendo's Stone Age, "Everyone's a predator!" attitude with regards to online functionality.

I understand that the damn thing it's not for everyone. As you, I also wish that the dorks at NCL realize that people want to keep their content in an easy-to-move account. Sadly, my love for the Nintendo IPs won me over the superior hardware and features of the Vita (also, most of its game are 'eh...' for me). So far, I don't regret my decision, thankfully.

Funny thing, now that I mention this: the day I bought my 3DS, I was originally going to buy a PS3. Why I didn't do that? The discount that I was counting on to buy the PS3 was gone, and the 3DS would leave me with money to spare on more games anyway. It was either that or bust, since I rarely get money to spend for this hobby (I don't work, nor I will until next year). Also, I don't like credit cards, so I have never gotten one to buy new hardware :p

Moonlight

Banned
I love P3P a whole lot more than FES.
image.php

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Think I am a FES fan myself. P3P is fine and all, but tooling around with it on the Vita, the visual novel approach gets wearisome pretty quickly. Then again, the navigation in FES does add a lot of tedious downtime. Still think I prefer that tedium with the animated sequences to the pure textboxes though. After several hours of P3P I missed FES.

The AI control in combat is a wash for me. Didn't really mind not having control much outside of very rare scenarios. Actually kind of dug the added chaos and excitement the occasional messup would lump into my planning. Some arguably hate it for sure, but I was never bothered. Most often the trash mobs can be picked off on auto-pilot easily anyway, bosses are the only time it ever really felt like an issue, but I found they often performed the correct actions as the analysis filled up.

cjkeats

I think I've bought all the games at least twice by this point, except Eternal Punishment, which I will get eventually because I'll grab it on PSN when I finish IS and I want to import the PSP one just as a collectors thing.
P3 three times so far will probably spring for a physical copy of FES if I can ever find it.
I still have a sealed second copy of Golden and a barely used second copy of Arena.

cj_iwakura

I make an exception for Persona. ;)

I paid full price for Golden twice! And one of those was the Japanese full price!

Believe me, Soul Hackers is worth it. I bought it twice too, Saturn and 3DS. Pretend Spooky is Akihiko and Nemissa is Rise. Enjoy!

Especially considering P3P is on handheld I preferred point and click to having to move around the environment. Cuts out the crap, I just want to go to stores/talk to characters, exploration is for Tartarus. I guess it depends how easily you can become engaged with a game when it's a little more abstract. What else is considered compromised other than that and cutscenes? I think the improvements made to combat and social links totally outweigh that, plus personally I can imagine what's going on just fine in my head.

And FeMC appealed to me more as a playable character. I'm gonna have to actually play as the male protag sometime so I can compare dialog choices.

Rhapsody

Banned
Of course there are some things that make P3P better.

FemMC being one of them. :3

(PS where is the full version of your avatar from?)

I think I got it from the Persona 3 Portable Official Fanbook. They had a few more of these scattered throughout the book.

Dantis

I think this looks so much better in colour.

Believe me, Soul Hackers is worth it. I bought it twice too, Saturn and 3DS. Pretend Spooky is Akihiko and Nemissa is Rise. Enjoy!

I just can't justify it to myself. I'm sure it's a great game and all, but it feels a little over-pricey on Atlus' part to me.

I saw Arena for £13 again today, and again nearly ordered it. That's a good price, but like Soul Hackers, it just wouldn't be worth it for me.

Young Magus

I just can't justify it to myself. I'm sure it's a great game and all, but it feels a little over-pricey on Atlus' part to me.

I saw Arena for £13 again today, and again nearly ordered it. That's a good price, but like Soul Hackers, it just wouldn't be worth it for me.

As always, your art it beautiful my friend. Also, BUY SOUL HACKERS!!!!!!
As for double dipping: I payed for IS twice.......digital and physical first print
the OST was worth it

Squire

Banned
It's still in stock now, and genuinely tempting, but I'd be buying it because it's Persona, as opposed to buying it because I'll ever play it.

I am genuinely shocked you don't want a copy for collection purposes.

I mean, if you notice, history will largely neglect the region-locking since the game was good/sold well/was a crowd pleaser at EVO. It's not going down as this maligned piece of Atlus history.

That one is awesome. Draw Yosuke Jonathan and Kanji Walter.

Dantis

I am genuinely shocked you don't want a copy for collection purposes.

I mean, if you notice, history will largely neglect the region-locking since the game was good/sold well/was a crowd pleaser at EVO. It's not going down as this maligned piece of Atlus history.

I think this is only half true. People still joke about the region lock pretty regularly, and I guarantee that as soon as a Persona 5 release date is announced, it'll get raised again in a more serious manner.

On the other hand, I'm not not buying it to make a point. The region lock is irrelevant to me now. I'm just not sure if it's worthwhile to spend £13 on something I'm not going to play.

That money could buy two meals at KFC!

That one is awesome. Draw Yosuke Jonathan and Kanji Walter.

I was thinking of drawing them all SMT 4 style, and customising the outfits accordingly. Kanji could wear the jacket around his shoulders, Teddie could wear it like Walter, Naoto could wear it like the men, Rise could wear it more like Walter etc. etc.

It's actually a really clever outfit because it's the same across all the designs. I only realised today that Isabeau's outfit is just the same as everyone else's minus the trousers. She even has the same boots.

I think this is only half true. People still joke about the region lock pretty regularly, and I guarantee that as soon as a Persona 5 release date is announced, it'll get raised again in a more serious manner.

On the other hand, I'm not not buying it to make a point. The region lock is irrelevant to me now. I'm just not sure if it's worthwhile to spend £13 on something I'm not going to play.

I was thinking of drawing them all SMT 4 style, and customising the outfits accordingly. Kanji could wear the jacket around his shoulders, Teddie could wear it like Walter, Naoto could wear it like the men, Rise could wear it more like Walter etc. etc.

It's actually a really clever outfit because it's the same across all the designs. I only realised today that Isabeau's outfit is just the same as everyone else's minus the trousers. She even has the same boots.

Do it man.

Squire

Banned

Hmm. Fair point. But it's your Persona collection, man! You need it.

And goddamn could I go for KFC right now.

Dantis

Hmm. Fair point. But it's your Persona collection, man! You need it.

And goddamn could I go for KFC right now.

Man.

I could really go for a KFC right now. KFC is my weakness. When I was in uni I was having it 3 - 5 times a week. Cost me a bloody fortune, and must have been astonishingly unhealthy.

I still love it though.

Squire

Banned
Man.

I could really go for a KFC right now. KFC is my weakness. When I was in uni I was having it 3 - 5 times a week. Cost me a bloody fortune, and must have been astonishingly unhealthy.

I still love it though.

Haha, that's amazing! I never have it that often. The chicken isn't even my favorite thing there, ironically. (Still think it's damn good though.)

You're going to be disappointed.

Heh, should I not then and take your word for it? :p I just didn't think it'd be fair to flat out say 'I've heard FeMC has more interesting dialog options' when I hadn't seen most of the originals myself.

And Dantis, that's looking good, man. You don't mind if I'm somewhat critical again? I believe there seems to be some sort of dissonance between the facial expression and the way she is posed. Her face appears rather aggressive yet the rest of her body is sort of... closed? Like she's hesitating? I'm sorry I can't really pinpoint what I mean here, so disregard if you disagree. I can at least appreciate how difficult it is to get the head and face right at all. The number of failed face drawings I've done in the past three weeks totals somewhere in the hundreds :p.

Also something you might be interested in trying out: do you ever play with the blending options in Photoshop? If you separate the linework around each part that's coloured differently onto different layers, then play with 'outer glow' options with a darker version of that colour, it has a sort of similar effect to that 'silky' look in some of Soejima's work.

cjkeats

All the KFC's in my province were owned by the same person, and one day they just shut all of them down.
One opened up a while later under new ownership and people flocked to it from all over. It was hilarious.

Also, fast food related:

I don't know where I find this shit.

Dantis

Haha, that's amazing! I never have it that often. The chicken isn't even my favorite thing there, ironically. (Still think it's damn good though.)

The boneless fillets are just the best thing ever. I could eat them all day. Forever.

And Dantis, that's looking good, man. You don't mind if I'm somewhat critical again? I believe there seems to be some sort of dissonance between the facial expression and the way she is posed. Her face appears rather aggressive yet the rest of her body is sort of... closed? Like she's hesitating? I'm sorry I can't really pinpoint what I mean here, so disregard if you disagree. I can at least appreciate how difficult it is to get the head and face right at all. The number of failed face drawings I've done in the past three weeks totals somewhere in the hundreds :p.

Also something you might be interested in trying out: do you ever play with the blending options in Photoshop? If you separate the linework around each part that's coloured differently onto different layers, then play with 'outer glow' options with a darker version of that colour, it has a sort of similar effect to that 'silky' look in some of Soejima's work.
Constructive criticism is always welcome. ;)

In terms of her pose, it's basically because linework of a sketch I did about a month ago, and in the original sketch she was drawing her sword. For whatever reason, when I did the lineart yesterday, I altered the pose, but not the face. I like it though. It's good enough for me! ;)

By the way, may I ask how you go about drawing the character's head/face? Do you use guidelines? Draw from reference? Completely from imagination?

I swear of all the things to be my artistic Achilles heel it had to human faces. I might have to just make a compromise or something, y'know? You'll see my magnum opus in about forty years time, like the Mona Lisa only replaced with Aigis, and she'll have those nose glasses from Persona 4 that Yukiko likes to hide the eye problems.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
All the KFC's in my province were owned by the same person, and one day they just shut all of them down.
One opened up a while later under new ownership and people flocked to it from all over. It was hilarious.

Also, fast food related:

I don't know where I find this shit.

Creepy.

Eiderann

Neo Member
I can't imagine a lot of people liking P3P over Fes. So many things compromised that it takes away a lot of the fun.

After I beat Golden, I decided to go ahead and get P3P and FES on PSN rather than flip a coin between the two. Been playing both of them on and off, but it's been an interesting comparison. Overall, while I miss walking around in P3P, I really am enjoying the FeMC's paths and dialogue choices a lot more and the ability to control combat after coming back from P4. A non-gimped P3P would be pretty fun to snap up considering the quality on Golden, of course.

(also, hey PersonaGAF! Been reading for a long time, just not much of a poster)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom