• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, PGaf....yallz is golden. Stay baller.

f7n.gif

<3 <3

Thanks for stopping by GameFreak. You need to teach me how to Mitsuru!

Thanks for having me stop by! I'm far from the best Mitsuru on here but I'm sure I can give you some tips. I guess playing more of the game in general gave me some more confidence in my
somewhat limited
skills so I could try to help out if/when you need it.

PK Gaming

I could write-up something like a character bible. May include trace amounts of Ayase/Toro shipping.
(Hey, if people can ship Yuki and the track girl, I can have that.)

The best P2 fan site(IS only) is probably The Allegory of Whatever.
http://www.chthonian.net/persona/tsumi/characters/

There is a ton of info

If you're even remotely interested in the Persona 2 duology i'd suggest checking it out.

Here are some of my favorite excerts:
Eikichi said:
Eikichi's Dad would throw a fit if he knew how Eikichi dressed, so everyday Eikichi sneaks out of his home, goes to a public restroom, dyes his hair blue, puts on his makeup and modifies his uniform, and then goes to school. On the way home, he reverses the process (although how can Kankichi not see his black nail polish?) and Kankichi is apparently oblivious to his son's daily transformations. (Eikichi's mom doesn't seem to mind; she's apparently the type who'd go, "My, my, isn't that nice!" and smile.)

Lisa said:
Phobias: English (even though she looks American, she can't speak English and people assume she can, which is awkward), foreigners (they always try to speak English to her...), her father (the source of her complexes because he was so obsessed with Japanese culture and raising her to be a "Yamato Nadeshiko" that she went the completely opposite way), Karaoke (hates singing pop songs and enka)

Ulala said:
Q: What is her history with men?
She also met Makimura at one of those parties, and probably assumed something like "he's my only hope". I'm sure that she's the type who assumes things a lot, compared to other people. She was also naive about money, and just handed it over to him freely. It's the kind of story she's probably heard many times, but this time she didn't notice what was going on because she was so enthralled with him. He'd say things like, "My father collapsed today, could I borrow some money..." and she'd roll along with any of his stories and was deceived. My thought is that she's probably given him around 3 million yen (about US$30,000!) by now. Personally, I don't think this is the first time she's been taken. Even if the guy wasn't quite a marriage con-artist, she's the giving type, so wherever she and her guy went out, Ulala would always pay...is how I think it was. I feel sorry for her. *sad smile*

(This one's interesting)
Nanjo said:
Q: After the incident in Mikage-cho, had Nanjou used his Persona?
A: He hasn't used it. Unlike Eri, he hasn't had situations in which he had no choice other than to use his Persona...so Aizen Myouou was at Rank 1. It seems that people have asked, "I returned Aizen Myouou last time around, so shouldn't he be gone?" Well, that's...you know. *laugh* The personal Personae are for that individual's exclusive use, so even if they've been returned once, when the timing is right they come back. This is especially true of the the initial equipping Personae, since they are the other selves that are the closest to the users.

Man this so good

Meia

So much good, not surprised about the Nanjo/persona thing though. Even the "ultimates" of at least IS were suped up versions of the characters first persona, so always got the impression that it was the closest to themselves. It's kind of how the same way that the cast could have any persona of the tarot, but there were always some they were better with than others.

Man I loved the idea of that system, but such a thing can't really exist in a 1 More or probably even a Press Turn system, so I get why they had to change it.

Caladrius

Nietzsche? Tell me more. He's pretty into philosophy.

The persona series borrows a little bit into the idea of an Ubermensch: Someone who rejects the morals and attitudes of their society and comes to search for something greater. They seek to transcend the mediocrity of their brethren to build a new standard for society based off of their own beliefs.

This isn't apparent until the very end of 3 and 4,
where the protagonists give a hearty "screw you" to the destructive impulses of their society (suicide and self-deception respectively) and take bold action to try and make a brighter future free of those vices
. The emergence and evolution of personas in 4 tends to reflect this too: The persona user doesn't gain the greater power until they break free of some aspect of society that hampers them and they come to terms with themselves, their identity and their morals, and evolution is caused by a resolve to follow through with their personal course.

There's also a bit you could derive from Persona 4 about the rejection of the platonic reality (where there is the "apparent" material world and the "true" reality which is usually the world of ideas or spirituality.) But that's something I'm not very familiar with and I would need to replay the game to actually pick up more on (if there is any.)

Dantis

Explains a lot. I love the synchronization of the music to what's going on.

I feel like Alive is the song that set Meguro on the path that led to Persona vocal tracks sounding like they do. Really catchy, lots of overlays, pop/rock infusion etc.

Great song. Love the full version.

cj_iwakura

Has anyone here taken out Satan? I've killed Demi-Fiend, but Satan is a little different. Not as threatening, but if you don't follow an exact set of rules, he 9999's the whole team in six turns.

I'm going with Seraph/Cielo/Gale.

Dantis

CJ, your presence here has just reminded me:

A while ago, you posted some Persona 1 illustrations, and I said that they weren't representative of Persona 1's art. I HAVE FOUND OUT WHY. Kaneko did the lines, but Soejima coloured them. That's why the colouring is so good, and so different from Kaneko's other stuff.

cj_iwakura

CJ, your presence here has just reminded me:

A while ago, you posted some Persona 1 illustrations, and I said that they weren't representative of Persona 1's art. I HAVE FOUND OUT WHY. Kaneko did the lines, but Soejima coloured them. That's why the colouring is so good, and so different from Kaneko's other stuff.

Interesting. I think they were the illustrations from Digital Devil Apocalypse?

I can't find my image of it(I could just get another), but I think it was the one with the entire cast on the right and Main's Persona on the left.

Dantis

Interesting. I think they were the illustrations from Digital Devil Apocalypse?

I can't find my image of it(I could just get another), but I think it was the one with the entire cast on the right and Main's Persona on the left.

Well, I assume they're the ones that he's referring to in the art book. He says he coloured the Persona 1 publication illustrations.

Dantis

Sounds like it, they seemed like promotional works. Where did he say that at?

Soejima Artworks interview. I was re-reading it the other day. Very interesting stuff. Last time I read it properly was two years ago, and I hadn't seen those illustrations at that point, so it meant nothing to me, I guess.

cj_iwakura

It took that picture for me to realize the Persona were supposed to look like idealized versions of the character. And I have been playing these games for two years. :/

Pallas Athena's design predates Aigis'. I've been running into them in the Sun just now in fact!

Caladrius

It makes Ken's Personas super confusing. Also Yukari's 2nd form.

Ken's make a bit more sense in hindsight.
Nemesis is supposed to resemble his mother.(wide hips, unfortunate eye and wheel slit placement). Kala-Nemi (which is apparently from Hindu mythology wtf) is stocky, orange and has a more masculine build. It represents his identity shifting from centering around his mother to himself.

Isis is supposed to be Yukari
building off of her past with her father (The Ox Skull on Io and Isis) as opposed to being chained by it.

Dantis

Omen is fine. Memories of The City is better. Snowflakes is best.

If I were to draw the P4 characters dressed as the P2 characters, who would be who? I'm not sure why I haven't thought of doing this before now.

Daimaou

If I were to draw the P4 characters dressed as the P2 characters, who would be who? I'm not sure why I haven't thought of doing this before now.

Yu as Tatsuya
Yosuke as Eikichi
Chie as Ulala
Yukiko as Maya
Rise as Lisa
Kanji as Baofu
Naoto as Katsuya
Teddie as Jun

Not the easiest parallels to draw between the casts. Also Jun's outfit is pretty bland, even for school uniforms.

cjkeats

Hrrmmm. This is a tough one. Chie or Rise as Lisa is too obvious. Yosuke as Eikichi?

What Daimaou said, not the easiest cast to draw parallels from at all. I guess going by the colour swaps in arena could work too.

Caladrius

Omen is fine. Memories of The City is better. Snowflakes is best.

Assuming the P1 members are out:

MC> Tatsuya
Yosuke> Eikichi (or Katsuya)
Chie> Lisa
Yukiko> Maya
Kanji > Katsuya (or Eikichi)
Teddie> Jun
Rise> Ulala
Naoto> Baofu

Ken's make a bit more sense in hindsight.
Nemesis is supposed to resemble his mother.(wide hips, unfortunate eye and wheel slit placement). Kala-Nemi (which is apparently from Hindu mythology wtf) is stocky, orange and has a more masculine build. It represents his identity shifting from centering around his mother to himself.

Isis is supposed to be Yukari
building off of her past with her father (The Ox Skull on Io and Isis) as opposed to being chained by it.

Interesting! I'd never given much thought to Ken's personas before.
The part about his identity shifting makes so much sense, I absolutely love all these details they incorporate into the designs. Though knowing that about Nemesis makes its goofy appearance seem rather unnerving >_>. Now that I think about it, Nemesis represents retribution and revenge doesn't she? Just clocked that connection now, heh.

Could you provide some insight into Palladion and Athena? I've already looked into them but I'm interested in if you've noticed something I haven't. Oh, and Caesar! His design had me stumped for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom