• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantis

I was completely shocked by how high quality the Dream Team demo was. So full of life and charm. I was (and still am) considering getting it over SMT IV, or possibly getting both.

It's crazy good. Soundtrack is really amazing too. No idea who did it, but it's the best Nintendo soundtrack in years.

Hey, I really liked Super Paper Mario >:/

It had the best boss theme in the series at least. Almost as good as Bowser's Inside Story's final boss theme!

I like Dream Team's miles more.

And don't worry, CJ, I know what you're talking about. I've never even fought Satan though, let alone beat him.

Rhapsody

Banned
The last Paper Mario game was in 2004, I don't know what sick monster told you it was still around.

And the end of Superstar Saga is a humongous pain, especially the final boss.

Haha, that's what I hear. Never that the chance to play TTYD, but all I've heard were good things.
It's crazy good. Soundtrack is really amazing too. No idea who did it, but it's the best Nintendo soundtrack in years.

Apparently if wiki is right, it was Shimomura? That's pretty neat.

cj_iwakura

I like Dream Team's miles more.

And don't worry, CJ, I know what you're talking about. I've never even fought Satan though, let alone beat him.

You should at least see him. Probably the most imposing looking boss I've seen in an SMT.

Sophia

Apparently if wiki is right, it was Shimomura? That's pretty neat.

Yoko Shimomura, who composed all the other Mario and Luigi (but not Paper Mario) games, as well as the original Super Mario RPG. She also contributed about 1/3rd of the soundtrack to Xenoblade, the sountrack to Parasite Eve, Radiant Historia, and one of the composers on Street Fighter 2 as well as the first Breath of Fire.

Dantis

Yoko Shimomura, who composed all the other Mario and Luigi (NOT Paper Mario) games, as well as the original Super Mario RPG. She also contributed about 1/3rd of the soundtrack to Xenoblade, the sountrack to Parasite Eve, Radiant Historia, and one of the composers on Street Fighter 2 as well as the first Breath of Fire.

WHAT.

That explains why it's so good. Radiant Historia's soundtrack is glorious.

I would have never guessed it was her. I associate violins and pianos with most of her stuff.

You should at least see him. Probably the most imposing looking boss I've seen in an SMT.

One day I'll play through DDS again. No idea when that will be though.

Rhapsody

Banned
Yoko Shimomura, who composed all the other Mario and Luigi (but not Paper Mario) games, as well as the original Super Mario RPG. She also contributed about 1/3rd of the soundtrack to Xenoblade, the sountrack to Parasite Eve, Radiant Historia, and one of the composers on Street Fighter 2 as well as the first Breath of Fire.

Considering all the games she's composed for over the decades, I find it pretty amazing how the quality has remained consistent.
Plus her style in music doesn't sound too similar if you compare different series, which is great.

Sophia

WHAT.

That explains why it's so good. Radiant Historia's soundtrack is glorious.

I would have never guessed it was her. I associate violins and pianos with most of her stuff.

She's pretty talented, with a wide variety of styles to her name. Volins and Pianos are her most common type of instrument tho. =P

Dantis

Considering all the games she's composed for over the decades, I find it pretty amazing how the quality has remained consistent.

I think she's had to remain consistent. She's one of the more prolific Japanese composers, I think. Literally every game she composes for gets huge praise for its soundtrack.

PK Gaming

I was completely shocked by how high quality the Dream Team demo was. So full of life and charm. I was (and still am) considering getting it over SMT IV, or possibly getting both.

Please don't.

I've played both, and I can honestly say that I liked SMTIV significantly more than Dream Team. I'm actually having trouble playing DT right now; It suffers from ridiculous hand holding, and dull level design. There's absolutely no sense of exploration either, since the block off all of the areas, not to mention the world map is tiny. The dream gimmick is a step down from Bowser's belly too. It's a good game, but picking DT over SMTIV doesn't seem like a good idea.

Jintor

The only part of it that I actually disliked was the opening song.

Dantis-kun says he has good taste in music.

But Dantis-kun doesn't like the opening song of Cowboy Bebop, Tank.

How can you trust Dantis-kun on matters melodic? Can your children? Can your children's children?

Dantis-kun. Wrong on tank: wrong on music.

Code:
Spoken by the Dantis-kun is Wrong party Gekkoukan

Dantis-kun says he has good taste in music.

But Dantis-kun doesn't like the opening song of Cowboy Bebop, Tank.

How can you trust Dantis-kun on matters melodic? Can your children? Can your children's children?

Dantis-kun. Wrong on tank: wrong on music.

Code:
Spoken by the Dantis-kun is Wrong party Gekkoukan

dhMeAzK.gif

EMT0

Banned
Guys, I was thinking about what exactly Teddie's origins are, and I think there's a (small) chance it may be brought up again in the future.

Major Persona 4 Spoilers Ahoy:

Teddie is a very naive, yet friendly and happy shadow. His only bad traits are being overly boisterous and perverted, IMO.

Shadows are what a person keeps hidden within them, consciously or unconsciously. What kind of person would Teddie have to be derived from that what is left over and denied is essentially a good human being? By his word, he inexplicably gained a conscious one day, but we have no indication that he was ever just a "regular shadow". He had to have come from someone, because as far as we know there are no shadows that simply existed independently of an ego. Even the Arcana Shadows in Persona 3 aren't guaranteed to have been created independent of a person. The Kirijo Group did incredibly immoral things after all....

I've got three theories about his origins.

A: Teddie is the shadow of someone who's a complete monster, that denies anything that could be considered good, and revels in his/her evil. It'd be what's left over, wouldn't it?

B: Teddie is derived from someone with a seriously fractured psyche, probably someone who's been isolated since they were very young. In my mind, maybe a teenager who's lived in an insane asylum since he was a child.

C: Teddie is derived from someone who's lived an awful, horrid life from day one. All the aspects of Teddie, such as his kindness, joyfulness, etc. are all things that that person would have an instinctual urge to do but never could do.

There is also a fourth option. The TV World is a materialization of human thought. Now, there are two ways it could go about. Option 1 is that Izanami created the TV World alongside the Midnight Channel and limited its scope to that of Inaba. The other is that she simply created a portal into the TV World that affected Inaba specifically, and decided to use the TVs as her portal medium.

Considering that the Shadows seem to be near endless in the TV World, it'd make more sense for the 'TV World' to simply be a different dimension that's always existed due to human thought. Otherwise you'd have to wonder where all the Shadows keep coming from; either you're fighting the Shadows of everybody in Inaba over and over again, or you're fighting the Shadows of the many people who live and have lived. Assuming Option 2, then who Teddie is derived from becomes a MUCH more open-ended, unimportant question that will probably never be answered.

There's no saying that a human hasn't entered the 'TV World' before the Investigation Team, which makes me think that Teddie is the result of a shadow devouring its originator, which resulted in it gaining cognitive thought, at which point Teddie was created. Simply gaining a conscious out of nowhere doesn't make much sense, but the Investigation Team's Shadows seem to go on and on about becoming complete. That'd make Teddie complete in a twisted sense, wouldn't it? It'd explain the anomaly that is Teddie.

Now, either a Shadow that devours its originator simply becomes a clean slate, or Teddie chose to forget his actions as a mindless Shadow. Who's to say there isn't a memory block on top of another memory block to hide Teddie's darkest memories, of once being somebody else and what he unintentionally did? Maybe there's a Teddie equivalent of Saki Konishi or Mayumi Yamano roaming about in the 'TV World', or possibly others from the past as well. We honestly have no idea just how large the TV World may or may not be, right?

No matter which way you slice it, I don't think Teddie's backstory is as happy as he is.

Sophia

Considering that the Shadows seem to be near endless in the TV World, it'd make more sense for the 'TV World' to simply be a different dimension that's always existed due to human thought. Otherwise you'd have to wonder where all the Shadows keep coming from; either you're fighting the Shadows of everybody in Inaba over and over again, or you're fighting the Shadows of the many people who live and have lived. Assuming Option 2, then who Teddie is derived from becomes a MUCH more open-ended, unimportant question that will probably never be answered.

I'll respond to the rest of this later, as I'm currently staring into space brain dead for the most part. However, Eternal Punishment PSP basically confirms what you're thinking, sort of:

The Kadath Mandala, the new dungeon in it, is said to be the realm of the collective unconsciousness. Given what the Midnight Channel is said to be, combined with the fact that it's creator we know originated on the "other side" of the consciousness world, it's safe to assume that the Midnight Channel has always existed in some form. Essentially, the Kadath Mandala, the Monad Mandala, the "other side", and the Midnight Channel are all physical manifestations of the collective unconsciousness at some level.

PK Gaming

The golden seasons when its just your friends that are hanging out are great. I just saw one where Kanji and Yukiko were hanging out together, and she was inquiring about his hair color + wondering if she could become Yukiko 2.0 (overall very enjoyable).

Yu Narukami: My friends hang out with each other... without me?!?

Squire

Banned
The golden seasons when its just your friends that are hanging out are great. I just saw one where Kanji and Yukiko were hanging out together, and she was inquiring about his hair color + wondering if she could become Yukiko 2.0 (overall very enjoyable).

Yu Narukami: My friends hang out with each other... without me?!?

Those scenes are great. I think they're one of the few additions even Dantis likes! XD

Caladrius

Guys, I was thinking about what exactly Teddie's origins are, and I think there's a (small) chance it may be brought up again in the future.

Teddie is a very naive, yet friendly and happy shadow. His only bad traits are being overly boisterous and perverted, IMO.

Shadows are what a person keeps hidden within them, consciously or unconsciously. What kind of person would Teddie have to be derived from that what is left over and denied is essentially a good human being? By his word, he inexplicably gained a conscious one day, but we have no indication that he was ever just a "regular shadow". He had to have come from someone, because as far as we know there are no shadows that simply existed independently of an ego. Even the Arcana Shadows in Persona 3 aren't guaranteed to have been created independent of a person. The Kirijo Group did incredibly immoral things after all....

There is also a fourth option. The TV World is a materialization of human thought. Now, there are two ways it could go about. Option 1 is that Izanami created the TV World alongside the Midnight Channel and limited its scope to that of Inaba. The other is that she simply created a portal into the TV World that affected Inaba specifically, and decided to use the TVs as her portal medium.

Now, either a Shadow that devours its originator simply becomes a clean slate, or Teddie chose to forget his actions as a mindless Shadow. Who's to say there isn't a memory block on top of another memory block to hide Teddie's darkest memories, of once being somebody else and what he unintentionally did? Maybe there's a Teddie equivalent of Saki Konishi or Mayumi Yamano roaming about in the 'TV World', or possibly others from the past as well. We honestly have no idea just how large the TV World may or may not be, right?

No matter which way you slice it, I don't think Teddie's backstory is as happy as he is.

The appearance of a unique shadow that just so happens to meet the right people to save the world doesn't seem like it could be an accident. I've come under the impression that Teddie is a sort of artificially modified shadow designed by someone for an ulterior motive.(One of two characters from Persona 2 hint hint) While it could be argued that there might be many shadows like Teddie as you suggested and the collective unconscious is just so massive we haven't been able to see another one, the law of Narrative Causality tells me that the writers didn't have this "special" shadow that bends what's already been established for the sole purpose of a character arc.

cj_iwakura

Satan-slaying Embryon Log, Sun Date 9/2/13.

Demon form proving ineffective. Attempting human form to bust many caps in Avenging Angel Posterior. Seraph out.

So yeah. Going in for another round, after a bit of leveling and some mantra updates.

Is there any interest in spectating the pain?

Satan-slaying Embryon Log, Sun Date 9/2/13.

Demon form proving ineffective. Attempting human form to bust many caps in Avenging Angel Posterior. Seraph out.

So yeah. Going in for another round, after a bit of leveling and some mantra updates.

Is there any interest in spectating the pain?

As long as you live-commentate. I want to hear your pain.

pirata

I've got three theories about his origins.

A: Teddie is the shadow of someone who's a complete monster, that denies anything that could be considered good, and revels in his/her evil. It'd be what's left over, wouldn't it?

B: Teddie is derived from someone with a seriously fractured psyche, probably someone who's been isolated since they were very young. In my mind, maybe a teenager who's lived in an insane asylum since he was a child.

C: Teddie is derived from someone who's lived an awful, horrid life from day one. All the aspects of Teddie, such as his kindness, joyfulness, etc. are all things that that person would have an instinctual urge to do but never could do.

There's no saying that a human hasn't entered the 'TV World' before the Investigation Team, which makes me think that Teddie is the result of a shadow devouring its originator, which resulted in it gaining cognitive thought, at which point Teddie was created. Simply gaining a conscious out of nowhere doesn't make much sense, but the Investigation Team's Shadows seem to go on and on about becoming complete. That'd make Teddie complete in a twisted sense, wouldn't it? It'd explain the anomaly that is Teddie.

I think it's pretty obvious that Teddie is the protagonist's shadow. The whole sequence with Teddie in the Velvet Room heavily hints at it. Teddie feels quite at home in a place formed by the protagonist's mind. Also, I think Teddie's personality lines up with what the protagonist's shadow would be: moving to a new home, he's terrified of being alone and desperately wants people to like him. Thus a shadow in the form of a class-clown, attention-seeking kid in a silly mascot costume that wants to have friends so bad that he forgets to attack the first humans he meets in the shadow world. That's how I've always thought, at least

I think it's pretty obvious that Teddie is the protagonist's shadow. The whole sequence with Teddie in the Velvet Room heavily hints at it. Teddie feels quite at home in a place formed by the protagonist's mind. Also, I think Teddie's personality lines up with what the protagonist's shadow would be: moving to a new home, he's terrified of being alone and desperately wants people to like him. Thus a shadow in the form of a class-clown, attention-seeking kid in a silly mascot costume that wants to have friends so bad that he forgets to attack the first humans he meets in the shadow world. That's how I've always thought, at least

That seems like a valid point, but why is it that the protagonist has his Persona even though his shadow is still in existence? More over, why does Teddie acquire a Persona?

Sophia

I would agree with this if not for the nature of the Velvet Room seemingly existing just as much as room for beings like Teddie (See: Elizabeth and siblings, as well as Marie and Metis) as it does for Persona users. It's entirely possible he just feels that way because of the nature of the room. Hard to say one way or the other without further evidence.

Gamerloid

Wow, now there's nothing but spoiler bars lol. Well, tomorrow is Tuesday. Will we be getting something tomorrow? I hope to see some good news when I get back from campus. I hope there's something to look forward to cause I have a physics class and I don't know how to do physics... at all... This is the first class where I didn't know how to begin a problem...

Goodnight folks!

Rhapsody

Banned
I hope there's something to look forward to cause I have a physics class and I don't know how to do physics... at all... This is the first class where I didn't know how to begin a problem...

Goodnight folks!

Have fun. Just make sure you really study in physics. If you start falling behind, the class is terrible.

Wow, now there's nothing but spoiler bars lol. Well, tomorrow is Tuesday. Will we be getting something tomorrow?

nope :p

As for the physics class, I'm hoping they'll at least give you some basic stuff to work with. I took college algebra in my freshman year last year and even though they expected some entry knowledge they covered that just enough to get started, so I'll hope they do the same for you there.

Tamanon

Banned
I'm going through College Algebra right now, and it's amazing how much knowledge I've forgotten. Had Calculus 3 in high school many moons ago, even got a 5 on the AP test for it. And still don't remember anything, lol.

Robotgirls talk. Dorothy from Big O is a great competitor against any Persona one. She's great.

Musolf815

I went to the state fair today, and completely flipped out when I found Persona 4 figures at one of the booths. I got Yukiko's, and geeked out when I heard someone talking about Naoto and Kanji's relationship. I said something alone the lines of "AHHH THAT IS MY FAVORITE GAME" and the people talking about it said. "Yeah it's great, they're making another one you know!"

And I had to think about it, wondering if they meant the Arena sequel or P5...then they left before I asked them.

Squire

Banned
I was never a good student, really.

That said, I have film school orientation tomorrow. Wish me lick!

Robotgirls talk. Dorothy from Big O is a great competitor against any Persona one. She's great.

Q F T

lol, I actually remember her from that show too.

The only soap actors I know really are Kelly Monaco and Steve Burton. The former is self-explanatory and the latter is because he voices Cloud Strife. My mom was a huge GH fan, so I had a passing familiarity.

Squire

Banned
Good lick!

Also we have to get together and make a film sometime. I've had experience on both sides of the camera, and I think we'd make a good duo ;)

Thanks! We probably would. I like film a ton, but I'm actually in their game production program. The games I like the most have a strong narrative/cinematic focus, so I like the trappings. :)

Astra

I was never a good student, really.

That said, I have film school orientation tomorrow. Wish me lick!

Good lick!

My sister is in her last year of university here, and will then be looking toward Vancouver film school.
Shit's expensive, and she showed me the schedule and it looks pretty damn hectic. Sounds fun though, all in all!

Coreda

Since a reply was posted before I had started fully on it, and after PK changed his avatar thought I'd finish the avatars requested anyway in case someone wants them.

PK Gaming still has first choice though. All fully transparent. Edit: noticed Tamanon's avatar lol. Someone can decide if they want them or not I suppose :p

pkgaming-transparent-cixuw.png
pkgaming-transparent-soakm.png
pkgaming-transparent-nulm8.png
pkgaming-transparent-6mzmf.png

pkgaming-transparent-ilzuv.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom