• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squire

Banned
h1PDmwc.jpg

Ai might actually be one of my favorite characters in a game (obviously everyone in the investigation team already is).

That whole thing was handled so so well in both the game and the anime.

Dantis

Has anyone here ever done a challenge run of P4(G)? I decided to spice things up a little on my NG++ by setting monsters to hard difficulty and allowing the AI to make decisions in fights.
I couldn't pull through 100% though because the AI doesn't know how to block so I had to switch to direct commands in certain boss situations :( well now I'm up to January
after Adachi's dungeon and will see if the AI will block if faced with an opponent that repels everything.
Fun stuff.

Noi did a run on the hardest difficulty at the lowest level he could manage. Beyond that, I don't know of anyone doing anything similar.

Ai might actually be one of my favorite characters in a game (obviously everyone in the investigation team already is).

I really dislike Ai, but that's a great piece of art. The woman (I think it's a woman. My bad if I'm misremembering) who drew it has done lots of great Persona stuff.

Sophia

Ai is tied for Nozomi for one of my least favorite social links ever. I just can't stand her personality at any point in the social link.

Actually, Persona 4 has a lot of minor social links I don't like. Ai, Margaret, and the Fox all come to mind. In Ai's case I don't like her character, and in Margaret and the Fox's cases I don't like the whole specific request feature.

Dantis

Ai is tied for Nozomi for one of my least favorite social links ever. I just can't stand her personality at any point in the social link.

Actually, Persona 4 has a lot of minor social links I don't like. Ai, Margaret, and the Fox all come to mind. In Ai's case I don't like her character, and in Margaret and the Fox's cases I don't like the whole specific request feature.

Agree with all of these. Yumi's is the bestest, though.

She's quite good. I love that Rikku.

She's very technically able. Interesting style too. It's like a more western influence to it. Avoids the doll-face look of most anime art.

Necrovex

But that's not just the artist suffering, that's everybody suffering. The artist, the recipient, every unfortunate soul who happens to glance upon it, the server which hosts the image, PersonaGAF's reputation, the children.

Think of the children.

The children have to learn how cruel the world can be.

I'LL DO IT.

You are an honurable man.

Edit: I was very eh towards Ai in the game, but I adore her in the anime. She was an amazing comedic relief character.

Sophia

Nope, but that doesn't mean she's not an interesting character

That's the thing tho, she isn't an interesting character. She starts her social link off being shallow and she ends the social link slightly less shallow than she was. :\

To top it all off, her social link is one of the most annoying in the game.

Dantis

Nope, but that doesn't mean she's not an interesting character

She's interesting I guess, because she's the most 'broken' of all of the characters in P4. She's materialistic, arrogant and shallow. In a game where characters are never truly flawed (And any real unpleasantness is a misunderstanding), I suppose she stands out in that she genuinely is mean, she genuinely is self-obsessed.

To an extent, you can put it down to the circumstances of her life, but sympathy only goes so far. Nobody is holding a gun to her head so at a certain point her awful values have to be placed upon her personality.

Where other character's S Links generally result in a realisation that they should be themselves in order to attain happiness and success, Ai's is that she needs to hold more respect for other people and their views. In light of everything that transpires before that, this seems vapid and redundant, and likely something she won't hold herself to follow.

Just my thoughts. So yeah, I guess she is interesting. Also the anime episodes with her were amaaaaazing.

Chie is one of, if not, the most static characters in p4, truthfact

Chie's S Link flaw is that she doesn't know where she wants to go and who she wants to be. She ends up finding out. How is that static? Not everything needs to be life or death to be relevant.

Chie is awesome, but I tend to like my characters flawed and changing over time. It's why I rank the P4 cast highly among the pantheon of characters as a whole, but the Persona 2 crew and Junpei and Yukari outclass them individually in my eyes.

Jintor

Where other character's S Links generally result in a realisation that they should be themselves in order to attain happiness and success, Ai's is that she needs to hold more respect for other people and their views. In light of everything that transpires before that, this seems vapid and redundant, and likely something she won't hold herself to follow.

Well, she also did discover that changing herself to fit her image of what a 'perfect girl' would be like also didn't work out too well either. That's something.

Damn,
I won't be able to recruit Eriko as I already got that idiot of Hidehiko, I didn't know they were exclusive...
;_;

Oh well, I got my first Game Over, completely out of nowhere... It's an Atlus game alright.
Definitely liking the atmosphere and the very subtle cyberpunk undertones.
I'm getting used to exploring dungeons in first person, but the battle encounter rate is ridiculous.

The start button is a godsend, the battle slowness was about to drive me crazy...

Damn,
I won't be able to recruit Eriko as I already got that idiot of Hidehiko, I didn't know they were exclusive...
;_;

Oh well, I got my first Game Over, completely out of nowhere... It's an Atlus game alright.
Definitely liking the atmosphere and the very subtle cyberpunk undertones.
I'm getting used to exploring dungeons in first person, but the battle encounter rate is ridiculous.

The start button is a godsend, the battle slowness was about to drive me crazy...

Get Estoma from Cu Chulainn, it makes it so any mobs that are lower level than you do not spawn, so if you are higher level than all the enemies, no mobs spawn.

PK Gaming

Couldn't stand Ai the first time around, but on my second run I actually ended up liking her. I won't deny that she's a bitter, acerbic and overall unpleasant person, but there's just something about her that makes her likeable. I don't know, maybe it's because she's the only character that doesn't immediately like you, or maybe it's because I feel sympathy because of her tragic past (she's definitely an S.link character with a ton issues, imo) but regardless, cutting class and hanging out with Ebihara was fun. You guys can't deny that her Sunday bonus scenes are hilarious. (EX:Rise: "What is WRONG with you?")

As an aside, her S.Link is like 5X worse if you join the soccer team. It makes her "scene" a lot less poignant, because Daisuke's a fucking tool.

h1PDmwc.jpg

Perfect, haha

Meia

Chie is awesome, but I tend to like my characters flawed and changing over time. It's why I rank the P4 cast highly among the pantheon of characters as a whole, but the Persona 2 crew and Junpei and Yukari outclass them individually in my eyes.

Personally, I think it's a good idea to have someone that's kind of similar over the course of the story in a cast like this. Need the highest highs with the lowest lows.

Most of her issues amounted to jealousy of Yukiko anyway, which she gets over as it's not as dire of an issue as the others. The
cop
thing kind of comes out of nowhere at the end, so maybe some of the slink scenes could have built up to that(though she does
thwart some muggings
).

But yeah, I can understand the complaint, but if it's what they were going for, I think it's fine. I think pound for pound Junpei is probably one of the most complicated of either cast though, you just don't get much of it thrown in your face.

Personally, I think it's a good idea to have someone that's kind of similar over the course of the story in a cast like this. Need the highest highs with the lowest lows.

Most of her issues amounted to jealousy of Yukiko anyway, which she gets over as it's not as dire of an issue as the others. The
cop
thing kind of comes out of nowhere at the end, so maybe some of the slink scenes could have built up to that(though she does
thwart some muggings
).

But yeah, I can understand the complaint, but if it's what they were going for, I think it's fine. I think pound for pound Junpei is probably one of the most complicated of either cast though, you just don't get much of it thrown in your face.

Junpei's development over time is one of my favorite parts of the series. He changes over the course of the entire game from beginning of the journey to the end of the answer. Here is to hoping they can continue that naturally in P Arena Climax.

dkoy

I thought the side-quest S.Links were pretty cool. It made the S.Links more than just "spend time with this person and give the correct dialogue choice". It was refreshing to have overall, imo, though the last fox quest is a pain (in golden) since you have to read the bug catching book for it.

Ai and Nozomi are meh but both come around. They're both Moon lol so is there a trend there?

Oh and Yukari is also a very interestingly flawed and human character. Hope Climax can pull her off as well. Those two were the best in P3, along with Shinjiro, but I like Shinjiro for very different reasons than why I like Junpei and Yukari.

Meia

I thought the side-quest S.Links were pretty cool. It made the S.Links more than just "spend time with this person and give the correct dialogue choice". It was refreshing to have overall, imo, though the last fox quest is a pain (in golden) since you have to read the bug catching book for it.

Ai and Nozomi are meh but both come around. They're both Moon lol so is there a trend there?

I'd say yes, but P3P kind of destroys said trend. :p

Caladrius

*hipster mode*

My favorites were Naoki (I'm a sucker for angsty Tsunderes.), Yukiko (I found her the most relateable of the girls and personality wise is my genderswap) and Margaret. (Hello one day social link!)

Sophia

Yukiko's social link is one of the most relateable for me. Probably doesn't help that I'm a real life version of her, right down to the long hair and laughing fits.

Best dude and dudette in each game:

P1: Eriko and Nanko
P2IS: Maya and Eikichi
P2EP: Ulala and Baofu
P3: Yukari and Junpei
P4: Yukiko and Kanji
P4A: Getsu-suru and Yu Naru-car-mi

PK Gaming

Yeah.

Daisuke you suck bro.

Kou might love balls but he's also a stand-up dude

Word.

Kou is actually a really great character, and his social link is awesome. I can total relate with him when he
loses his passion for b-ball.
I'm going through the Daisuke half of the strength social link, and it's surprising how much exposure Kou gets. (Probably because Daisuke is a special kind of stupid)

His design is amazing too.

She's no Yumi.

Although Yumi is all about that...

...drama.

I might be in the minority here but I didn't really like her social link. Persona 4 allows you to do things you could only dream of doing in high school, so when they offered a drama S.link I immediately jumped on it (I LOVED drama, every day I regret not being able pursue it). At first going to drama was really fun... until it became awkward. I really wanted to participate in actual plays, events, etc. In other words, I wanted less "drama" and more drama.

Necrovex

Yukiko's social link is one of the most relateable for me. Probably doesn't help that I'm a real life version of her, right down to the long hair and laughing fits.

I have a similar laughing fit. Though I sound like a broken squeak toy when I enter my fits.

Mrcapcom

Got my butt handed to me by death smh lol I kept hearing the chains and I forgot what that meant smh Anywho the third dungeon is long just got to Kenji's Shadow and pwned him had fun now gonna grind in the dungeon and level up.

I also noticed that Chie and Yukiko did some twin dragon move that I never saw before it was pretty awesome. How do I get them to keep doing it? Are there other moves like that?

Trigger

I also noticed that Chie and Yukiko did some twin dragon move that I never saw before it was pretty awesome. How do I get them to keep doing it? Are there other moves like that?

It happens whenever you do an all out attack that doesn't completely finish off the enemy. There are two more moves like that, but they're related to party members you haven't gotten yet. lol, I'll refrain from saying more and spoiling you.

Sophia

Got my butt handed to me by death smh lol I kept hearing the chains and I forgot what that meant smh Anywho the third dungeon is long just got to Kenji's Shadow and pwned him had fun now gonna grind in the dungeon and level up.

There are three of those team attacks. Chie and Yukiko, Yosuke and
Teddie
, and Naoto and Kanji. To perform them, you need to have both members in the party, and have one of them lead an all out attack. If the all out attack fails to finish off the enemy, there is a high chance they'll preform it.

EMT0

Banned
The thing about Persona 4's supporting casts is that I feel like you could easily replace the members of the Investigation Team with people like Ai, Kou, or Saki's brother, IMO. It'd be an interesting spin off. Make it so that you can play with a different Investigation Team.

Jintor

There's that 4koma fanstrip someone did which just follows his secondary s-links around while the investigation is ongoing lol

Levito

Banned
The reaction to GTA V's reviews has got me wondering, would you guys actually care if Persona 5 got "less than desirable scores" from popular outlets like IGN, Destructoid, Gamespot,etc?

Like say a reviewer who's schooling/background is not in any sort of game design(Most of them), who's opinion is basically worth exactly the same as your own in an objective sense when looking at games, gave the game a 6/10. Would it diminish your hype or anything like that? Would you care in the slightest?

Hell, even if all reviewers were well versed in game theory, would you honestly care one way or another? I'm continually baffled by people obsessed with review scores. I tend to only read reviews/impressions from certain outlets, but regardless if I respect a reviewer or not, I don't let it hamper my excitement or experience spent with whatever game.

This is of course barring that that game isn't broken in some way. I'd only be upset upon reading a review if they said it had a lot of technical/performance problems. Beyond that I really don't care.

Caladrius

I only read formal reviews for games/series I have no prior experience with, and that's just to get the general feel for them. Word of mouth and intuition tells me everything else.

Necrovex

I only care what Persona-Gaf thinks of Persona 5. Though, I won't take anyone as seriously if they have a strong history of hating moe and refuses to watch one of the best animes released this year because it is slightly cutesy. :)

hao chi

I got a free Vita today, so I think I need to finally play P2. I also plan on getting P3P and P4G, though not right away since I already have some PS+ games and I want to get Corpse Party first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom