• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantis

Gravity Rush and Uncharted Golden Abyss were both very cool y'all just have poop taste, would love it if GR2 abandoned touch screen use though...

Loved Golden Abyss.

Gravity Rush and Golden Abyss are still two of the most technically impressive titles on the Vita. When I found out that you could just fly between the cities and it streamed it all in on Gravity Rush I was like "WHAAAAAT?"

kewlmyc

Sure I enjoyed them too, but those elements are secondary to actually making a great game. Flying around Hekseville is all fun and dandy until the controls get in your way. :p

I understand, but there are many beloved games that have shit controls yet are beloved by many and are considered great games. Deadly Premonition is one and
Persona 2: IS
is another.

Sophia

I understand, but there are many beloved games that have shit controls yet are beloved by many and are considered great games. Deadly Premonition is one and
is another.

Never played Deadly Premonition, so I can't speak of it. Persona 2: Innocent Sin's problems are far worse than just controls tho, and I've been pretty vocal about that. ;p

Golden Abyss is garbage tier to the umpth degree. Couldn't drop that quick enough.

Hey it was great when you were shooting people. Too bad you were like almost never doing that...

Levito

Banned
Killzone Mercenary is the most technically impressive game on Vita. Also it's a really damn good game too, unlike Golden Abyss.

PK Gaming

Better than Uncharted 1, THAT one is the most repetitive thing.

I have never been one to deny P1 and 2IS/EP's problems, P3 and 4 are far from perfect though.

Real talk:

Persona 4: Golden is a 10/10 RPG for me. It's not perfect (no game is truly perfect) but I have not enjoyed an RPG more than P4G (FFIX was my previous favorite RPG). It's individual parts aren't that remarkable, but when you put it all together you get a game that's definitely "something else."

Real talk:

Persona 4: Golden is a 10/10 RPG for me. It's not perfect (no game is truly perfect) but I have not enjoyed an RPG more than P4G (FFIX was my previous favorite RPG). It's individual parts aren't that remarkable, but when you put it all together you get a game that's definitely "something else."

You know how I feel about it, it was a sacrifirce of quality for fanservice and fluff, some of it is genuinely good, other parts are cringe worthy and awful.

Levito

Banned
10/10 generally means masterful, not perfect.

I bought it yesterday

Awesome!

It's just as solid of an entry in the series as 2 or 3. It's not just "good for an FPS on handheld". it's great for a handheld in general.

You know how I feel about it, it was a sacrifirce of quality for fanservice and fluff, some of it is genuinely good, other parts are cringe worthy and awful.

True, it was not as deep as the game with the girl with hearts on her boobs. Deeeeep.

sasliquid

Killzone Mercenary is the most technically impressive game on Vita. Also it's a really damn good game too, unlike Golden Abyss.

I mean to pick that up but the beta didn't blow me away like it did some people. Hows the single-player? I'd probly play that more but I've heard its really short

Necrovex

Its music was absolutely wonderful though. The Pleajune and Auldnoir tracks in particular make me smile every time.

Some of it was excellent. Really like the battle track and Bloody Claws. Not into the more jazzy stuff though.

You're missing a purely iconic piece.

is another.

Deadly Premonition played like utter shit, but I could get through the mechanics to see the true charms of the game.

Persona 2 IS: I was forced to sit and mash through that awful combat, garbage dungeons, and bland over-world to see its great writing and characters.

Necrovex

Oh yeah, Persona-Gaf. I got some bad news today. I'm going to be laid off from my (part-time) job in a month's time. Someone hold me. :'-(

Levito

Banned
Blame Maya's lack of fashion sense, who let's her room mate pick out her outfits, and excitement at finding an entire outfit on sale for the equivalent of 10 dollars :p

Ah yes, a wonderful excuse for fan service. ;)

Realize now you were specifically talking Golden, fair enough there's some dumb added fanservice crap in there. Granted it's very rare and the game does enough where it's mechanically superior to the original. Honestly I've played through P4 4 times and barely touched Golden, but it's already really hard to go back to 480i.

I really want to start P2, but it's such a time investment.

^but aside from the hearts I think it's really cool but Dantis, king of fashion decrees it not so, so I am wrong!

I don't really see it as fanservice when she is just a tiny sprite, there is a dilly in universe explanation for it and that's like one of the only instances of t in re entire p1/is/ep thing but to each his or her own

PK Gaming

It's just Kaneko's style. I think it's hit or miss (usually hit), but i'll agree that Maya's outfit is kind of eh (almost entirely because of the hearts).

Fortunately he ended up coming up with some killer character/persona designs

p2ep4.png

Dantis

^but aside from the hearts I think it's really cool but Dantis, king of fashion decrees it not so, so I am wrong!

I don't really see it as fanservice when she is just a tiny sprite, there is a dilly in universe explanation for it and that's like one of the only instances of t in re entire p1/is/ep thing but to each his or her own

I like Maya's outfit too. It still makes no sense though.

If I were to guess, I'd say that it was a somewhat haphazard way of portraying her as an optimistic, kind character.

Also I'm apparently missing how it's fan service.

Oh yeah, Persona-Gaf. I got some bad news today. I'm going to be laid off from my (part-time) job in a month's time. Someone hold me. :'-(

BUT HOW CAN WE BE PERSONA MUSIC LIVE 2014 FRIENDS NOW?

Necrovex

Dantis doesn't understand how awesome Miku's outfit is. So anything he says about fashion automatically becomes irrelevant until he fixes his mistake.

BUT HOW CAN WE BE PERSONA MUSIC LIVE 2014 FRIENDS NOW?

DON'T WORRY! I'M TRYING FOR TWO JAPANESE TEACHING PROGRAMS NOW! THERE IS HOPE!

Caladrius

The definition of fluff!.

Skipped it. In my headcanon there was still a hurricane.

Or more Doylistically, blame a bad outfit design.

Fixed. Bhudda is going to be my co-writer one day.

Ouch. My sister just had that happen to her. Stay strong and be diligent job hunting. There's some hope as long as you ain't dead.

Well dantis, like I said, she had an in universe reason for such a haphazard outfit, she has no fashion sense and let's her room mate pick out all her outfits, also look at Maya's room, it's an absolute mess.

Btw I do t see how P2 is more of an investment than 3 or 4, in fact, I wager you can beat P2 IS and EP before you could beat either p3 or 4, hell, I bet you could even beat 1, 2IS and 2EP in a shorter amount of time than either P4G or P3FES.

cjkeats

They give an explanation to Maya's strange outfit and that's enough for me. EDIT: Like buddha just said!

EP Tatsyua got the best outfit though.

P2 is absolutely worth the time investment. It feels more difficult because it's more of a grind than the others and the encounter rate sucks in IS.

Moonlight

Banned
Its music was absolutely wonderful though. The Pleajune and Auldnoir tracks in particular make me smile every time.
Oh yeah. I knew I was in for a treat from the very introduction.

Gravity Rush and Uncharted Golden Abyss were both very cool y'all just have poop taste, would love it if GR2 abandoned touch screen use though...
Hey, I liked GR. I even Platinum'd it. It's kind of hard to defend the repetitous structure of the missions and lack of nuance in the combat system, however. But a lot of the joy of the game is off the back of its' central concept and inherent charm, and that's just not enough to carry it all the way through. It's why I'm so excited for the sequel. There's an amazing game in there.

That concert...
...was actually pretty good. Makes me wish there were a full English version of True Story.

Jeez. Hope you land on your feet, dude.

Squire

Banned
Hey, I liked GR. I even Platinum'd it. It's kind of hard to defend the repetitous structure of the missions and lack of nuance in the combat system, however. But a lot of the joy of the game is off the back of its' central concept and inherent charm, and that's just not enough to carry it all the way through. It's why I'm so excited for the sequel. There's an amazing game in there.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

P4 is 10/10 for most people. #truthfact

Best of luck, Necrovex!

Necrovex

Ouch. My sister just had that happen to her. Stay strong and be diligent job hunting. There's some hope as long as you ain't dead.

Jeez. Hope you land on your feet, dude.

Somehow I haven't said it, hope thing turn around Necro!

Thanks guys! My father, who runs the stores in Florida, at least gave me three week notice. This job was only meant to hold me over until I found a full-time position or started my career in a field. Gotta send out those applications. Gah, I hate job hunting!

Levito

Banned
Btw I do t see how P2 is more of an investment than 3 or 4, in fact, I wager you can beat P2 IS and EP before you could beat either p3 or 4, hell, I bet you could even beat 1, 2IS and 2EP in a shorter amount of time than either P4G or P3FES.

Thing is, I actually enjoy P3's and P4's combat system. Things like random encounters are really hard to go back to, god awful voice acting, etc.

Also, according to HLTB Eternal Punishment is 60+ hours and Innocent Sin is 30+ hours. That is well... A big time investment for something I'm not even sure I'll like. Guess I'll just have to start one of them though to find out.

Also I'm apparently missing how it's fan service.

Seems like a lame attempt to consistently draw attention to her breasts, but mostly I was poking fun at "This game is srs and deep" notion that permeates many of these conversations. :p

Awww that's rough, sorry to hear that. :(

Necrovex

Dynasty Warriors 8 is better than both Persona 2 and Gravity Rush.

Come at me. :|

Remember, I am a big fan of Dynasty Warriors, if anyone can deal with repetition, it's this guy.

Is Dyansty Warrior 8 worth playing through? I skipped 7, and I enjoyed playing the past DW games (even 6), and Samurai Warriors games (I'm a far bigger fan of this franchise due to the setting).

Couldn't have said it better myself.

P4 is 10/10 for most people. #truthfact

Best of luck, Necrovex!

Persona 4 would certainly get a 10/10 from me. (And thanks!)

I SURE DON'T.

YES! To quote Xenoblade: "WE CAN DEFINITELY DO THIS!".

You'll understand it when you grow up.

And this is what I thought of when I read your Xenoblade comment.

PK Gaming

Well dantis, like I said, she had an in universe reason for such a haphazard outfit, she has no fashion sense and let's her room mate pick out all her outfits, also look at Maya's room, it's an absolute mess.

There's a mental investment dude. P3 and P4 are some of the best pick up & play type games in the industry. You can load up a file, work on a social link or hop to a dungeon and work on it at leisurely pace. In contrast, P2 has random encounters, tarot card grinding, and huge dungeons that needed to be completed one after another. (That each take 1-2 hours to complete on their own). I'm not going to lie, they're mentally draining.

There's reason why it took me 2 months to beat EP.

P1 is pretty quick though, oddly enough

Dynasty Warriors 8 is the best game of the series since DW3, and since you skipped 7, there is a ton of new characters. Warriors games have a HELL of a lot of content compared to many games released these days, but it's dependant if you like the gameplay.

Necrovex

Dynasty Warriors 8 is the best game of the series since DW3, and since you skipped 7, there is a ton of new characters. Warriors games have a HELL of a lot of content compared to many games released these days, but it's dependant if you like the gameplay.

I love the gameplay in my DW games! When I hit a gaming drought, I'll either rent or buy (depending on how much it falls in price by the time I can actually play it) DW8. I always enjoyed the scenarios presented, and I always wanted Koei to go a little further with those battles.

kewlmyc

I'm sorry to hear that bro. Hope you find work. If it's just part time, go apply at a factory, distribution center, or UPS/FedEx. They hire EVERYONE. Can't guarantee your safety though. :p

Not on a technical level!

I think it's still the only Vita game to use ambient occlusion.

My word-of-the-day calendar says that occlusion is either "the coming together of the surfaces of the upper and lower teeth" or "the front formed by a cold front overtaking a warm front."

How can teeth fronts be ambient?

Real talk:

Yup. P4G is da bess.

Also, the Excellent Adventure will return this weekend! Get hyped, all five of our watchers!

Squire

Banned
Yet fits it perfectly. All game consoles do the exact same thing with its launch window titles. Remember how every PS3 launch window title made use of the Sixaxis bullshit?

Never seen a tech demo with the production values of GR or even close to it.

Your question is more in relation to launch games, not tech demos.

FluxWaveZ

So I read statements by the Atlus CEO concerning the Sega Sammy acquisition before: a typical PR response that we wouldn't be able to really determine Atlus' potential future with. But this new Polygon article has a bullet point that I hadn't seen before:

Sega understands our drive to achieve quality and to expand awareness of the Atlus brand.

I feel that this point is particularly significant in meaning. Looking now, the same official statement has been out for a few hours, but I never saw that quote discussed.

Jintor

I just hope GR2 has a story worth a damn

I like Kat and I liked the world she lived in but there was no real story that went anywhere at all and unlike Bayo the gameplay wasn't solid enough to make up for it, especially since you couldn't get awesome 'cutscene' moments in comic-book format really.

Also the entire game was effectively "GRAVITY KICK GRAVITY KICK GRAVITY KICK" "GRAVITY SQUEEZE!" "DISRUPTOR!" "DISRUPTOR!" "DISRUPTOR!" "YOU! ARE! DEFEATED!"

...wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom