• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meia

Well, the ending, obviously. And this might be more of a VLR thing, but: Morphogenetic field.

Yeah, the ending I get the
NEED for two screens
, definitely not questioning that. Still get goosebumps.

Fields could still be something that happens in the rooms. Just because there's no puzzles doesn't mean the puzzle rooms themselves cease to be. I actually wonder how they're going to do it. Is the game kind of going to auto-pilot the puzzles, or just have the character scenes in the puzzle rooms and that's it, or what?

FluxWaveZ

Fields could still be something that happens in the rooms. Just because there's no puzzles doesn't mean the puzzle rooms themselves cease to be. I actually wonder how they're going to do it. Is the game kind of going to auto-pilot the puzzles, or just have the character scenes in the puzzle rooms and that's it, or what?

Pretty sure it's explicitly explained that (999 Spoiler)
common puzzles solved by the kids increased the strength of their Morphogenetic fields in-game.

Meia

Pretty sure it's explicitly explained that (999 Spoiler)
common puzzles solved by the kids increased the strength of their Morphogenetic fields in-game.

But again, I know the importance of the existence of puzzles, but it doesn't mean the player themselves has to be the one play them.

Though I guess as I'm typing that, I see what you're saying if the general idea is we as the player are Junpei's conscious in the field I guess. With that change, I guess we just become observers, though I think that's how I took things anyway until I typed that.

999 without sudoku sounds awesome to me.

Fixed. HATED that,
even if I was emotionally supercharged during that scene.

FluxWaveZ

But again, I know the importance of the existence of puzzles, but it doesn't mean the player themselves has to be the one play them.

Though I guess as I'm typing that, I see what you're saying if the general idea is we as the player are Junpei's conscious in the field I guess. With that change, I guess we just become observers, though I think that's how I took things anyway until I typed that.

That's not actually what I was saying, but I think we both mean the same thing for the first point. All I'm saying is it wouldn't make sense if puzzles are not tied into the narrative at all, but if it's just that the player does not solve them but that they're still present in the story but somehow skipped, then that could work.

Meia

Yeah, it's as you say, I cannot imagine that puzzle rooms just magically not being there. And if they're there but you never see the inside of them, then you really do miss out on a LOT of the character stories that take place in them. I have to have faith that they're not going to be dumb about it and do it in the best matter, which is probably having the characters going in, show the scenes that take place as the characters search the room themselves, then get out of the rooms. Bonus if the game kind of auto-solves the puzzles with you just watching it unfold.

I do wonder why they wouldn't include the puzzles themselves though if they do go through all that trouble. First thought was just an experiment to see how needed they were in the grand scheme of things.

Gamerloid

That's not actually what I was saying, but I think we both mean the same thing for the first point. All I'm saying is it wouldn't make sense if puzzles are not tied into the narrative at all, but if it's just that the player does not solve them but that they're still present in the story but somehow skipped, then that could work.

The puzzles are still there, you just don't solve them. The characters talk to each other and solves the puzzles for you. Here's a screen shot of one of the first rooms you can go to:
999iOSEscapeRoom.png

Dantis

huh... Did they changed a bit the character portraits? Or is it only because of the higher resolution that they look different?

I think they just look weird because they're higher res.

Takes them even more out of sync with Nishimura's illustrations though. It was kind of hid in the original game by the low res.

Hazmat

Hi Persona-GAF!

I'm in need of a portable game to play, so I was thinking about replaying P3P. I was planning on bumping the difficulty up to hard (I've beaten FES and P3P on normal), but I was wondering how annoying the increased compendium costs are. It's been a couple years since I've played P3 so I can't remember how much of my money I spent on the compendium. Any thoughts?

Sophia

The increased compendium costs aren't really an annoyance until you start making use of special fusion spreads. At which point they can be a headache, but you usually have a means of getting a lot of money then.

You may not even need said fusions if you're not planning to tackle any of the optional content.

I'm not actually sure if the cost increases in Persona 3 Portable or not for Hard mode. Maniac is six times the normal cost, apparently.

dkoy

Compendium costs are a pain in the ass in hard mode, but as Sophia said it really only shows if you're going for the extra content. If you plan on doing a full S.Link run with extra content you'll have to grind for lots of money early on or you won't have the personas for the early S.Links.

Guys I'm drunk.

I'm had a great birthday.

Happy birthday!

Remember to only get drunk on weekends, or else you might accidentally fall asleep in front of your neighbour's door and prevent them from getting to work in the morning resulting in you being forcibly moved into an alley by your neighbour's dirtbag friend.

Just a word of caution.

Hazmat

The increased compendium costs aren't really an annoyance until you start making use of special fusion spreads. At which point they can be a headache, but you usually have a means of getting a lot of money then.

You may not even need said fusions if you're not planning to tackle any of the optional content.

I'm not actually sure if the cost increases in Persona 3 Portable or not for Hard mode. Maniac is six times the normal cost, apparently.

Compendium costs are a pain in the ass in hard mode, but as Sophia said it really only shows if you're going for the extra content. If you plan on doing a full S.Link run with extra content you'll have to grind for lots of money early on or you won't have the personas for the early S.Links.

Cool, thanks for the info. If the compendium costs aren't that bad then I'll go with Hard, I had too easy of a time with Normal my first time with P3P.

Squire

Banned
Happy birthday!

Remember to only get drunk on weekends, or else you might accidentally fall asleep in front of your neighbour's door and prevent them from getting to work in the morning resulting in you being forcibly moved into an alley by your neighbour's dirtbag friend.

Just a word of caution.

Happy birthday dude!

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday dude

Haha Happy Birthday man!

Armada awkwardly sang you a sexy rendition of Happy Birthday while he was drunk tonight on the podcast. It was great.

Not sure if on purpose or because you're actually drunk.
Anyway Happy Birthday! (even though I haven't been here long).

ROFL. Anyway, happy birthday, man.

HAPPY BIRFDAY! :D

Happy birthday, dude!

You guys rock hard. Thanks a ton.

Dantis

Mostly off topic post here, but whatever.

First of all, I don't know if anyone here likes melodic death metal, but Insomnium just released their new song, and it is amazing.

Secondly, I drew the Puppeteer protagonists as people rather than puppets. I think they look okay!

Thirdly, I mentioned it briefly in the IRC last night, but how would you all feel if a future Persona game covered more 'serious' topics such as violence, alcohol, smoking etc. They're things that I think are very relevant to the context of Persona but videogames generally steer clear of them. Outside of Saori's S Link, there's like, no mention of any of them at all.

I don't think for a second that they'll cover these topics in Persona 5, but I think I'd like it if they did.

sasliquid

Guys I'm drunk.

Yeah, Happy Birthday (kinda late I know)

Thirdly, I mentioned it briefly in the IRC last night, but how would you all feel if a future Persona game covered more 'serious' topics such as violence, alcohol, smoking etc. They're things that I think are very relevant to the context of Persona but videogames generally steer clear of them. Outside of Saori's S Link, there's like, no mention of any of them at all.

I don't think for a second that they'll cover these topics in Persona 5, but I think I'd like it if they did.

That would be cool, for all the good characterization of Persona I feel we haven't really interacted with anyone with a strong self-destructive personality, outside of maybe the monk and I always found that link quite disappointing. To have a party member who's slowly killing themselves with alcoholism or heavy smoking could have a load of potential.

Dantis

That would be cool, for all the good characterization of Persona I feel we haven't really interacted with anyone with a strong self-destructive personality, outside of maybe the monk and I always found that link quite disappointing. To have a party member who's slowly killing themselves with alcoholism or heavy smoking could have a load of potential.

Completely forgot about the monk. The throwback to him in P4G was so cool, haha.

I guess I meant someone in, at most, their late teens.

sasliquid

Completely forgot about the monk. The throwback to him in P4G was so cool, haha.

I guess I meant someone in, at most, their late teens.

After tackling sexuality it does seem like a logical step to go to another issue like drinking for teens. I don't know what the drinking age in Japan is but that does seem like something perhaps more line with a university setting instead of high school though.

I still really hoping they face depression at some point, I mean they came kinda close with Chidori in P3 but since she was never a social link it wasn't thoroughly explored.

Dantis

After tackling sexuality it does seem like a logical step to go to another issue like drinking for teens. I don't know what the drinking age in Japan is but that does seem like something perhaps more line with a university setting instead of high school though.

I still really hoping they face depression at some point, I mean they came kinda close with Chidori in P3 but since she was never a social link it wasn't thoroughly explored.

I mean, they only covered homosexuality, and even then they didn't really. There's a lot more there that could happen.

Like I say, these are dark places, and I don't think they'll ever go there, but it would be interesting if they did.

I always felt like Persona 3 and 4 were so close to being genuinely mature games, but never quite got there.

What throwback? I forget.

Coffee shop guy implies that the monk is his brother. I don't remember how explicit it is, but I'm sure it happens.

sasliquid

I mean, they only covered homosexuality, and even then they didn't really. There's a lot more there that could happen.

Like I say, these are dark places, and I don't think they'll ever go there, but it would be interesting if they did.

I guess its relative. They've tackled sexuality better than 99% of other games, I thought they did a good job with Kanji, worse with Naoto which they kind of just dropped as soon as it was introduced.

dkoy

As long as the issues were well done and it feels natural, then it'd be pretty awesome to see Persona addressing things like these. Question is where would you have to be to have a party of people who are depressed, violent or heavy drinkers? Persona 5 takes place in a rehab centre? o_o Sounds pretty immersion breaking if the setting doesn't make sense but I'm sure if the Persona team decide to do this they'll do it right.

Meia

I think there's arguments to be made that either it didn't exist or it was just done badly. Either way there was a setup for a potentially interesting arc.

Nothing is ever said about her sexuality, it's always about her gender and how it relates to her chosen profession. Take the same character and have her wanting to be a nurse for example, and I highly doubt she'd be cross dressing in high school. I mean, if anything, I doubt she has any feelings to either sex based on how she presents herself.

In my opinion, Kanji wasn't also really about his own sexuality, just his shadow playing up on his insecurities about what his own hobbies say about it, and being further pushed away by society as a result.

Then again, just that we can HAVE this discussion speaks volumes on how good the characters themselves are. I wouldn't mind having substance abusers or whatever else in the next game, cause lord knows them doing it poorly doesn't even enter the equation, really. Only concern is it's a little too Saturday night movie message-y, ya know? Like you'd almost expect the protag at the end of the credits to be sitting in a suit at the end of a table talking to the audience and giving some helpful tip lines.

To be fair, they had a perfect chance to do something like this with Junpei, and they didn't, so not sure it's an angle they want to.

cj_iwakura

So do you all think Atlus has been holding off on announcing P5 until the transition was resolved, or they weren't ready yet anyway?

sasliquid

Nothing is ever said about her sexuality, it's always about her gender and how it relates to her chosen profession. Take the same character and have her wanting to be a nurse for example, and I highly doubt she'd be cross dressing in high school. I mean, if anything, I doubt she has any feelings to either sex based on how she presents herself.

Ahh I think we're just misinterpreting one another. In my view gender is an aspect of sexuality, I agree none of Naoto's character arc is about her sexual preference but about her own gender/sexuality

Caladrius

I know that, but that doesn't change what I said.

It just seems like that's by far the more likely reason to me. The game has been in development for at least 2 1/2 years at this point, they would most likely be able to show a smidge of it, unless they tend to go balls-out crazy for their reveals.

EDIT:

Guys I'm drunk.

Happy day-late Birthday!

FluxWaveZ

It just seems like that's by far the more likely reason to me. The game has been in development for at least 2 1/2 years at this point, they would most likely be able to show a smidge of it, unless they tend to go balls-out crazy for their reveals.

They've only stated that preliminary development on the game was almost complete on August 31, 2011 and that they would begin the actual development process from there, so it would have been less than 2 1/2 years.

Regardless, I won't make assumptions about their dev cycle or how complete/presentable the game currently is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom