• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

OH MAN MY GAF ACCOUNT GOT ACTIVATED.

Hello PersonaGAF! I've been following this thread for a while, but I can actually post now so yeah. Recently got into the Persona series, although it's pretty weird the series started with 3? I guess they're doing a Star Wars thing.
:p

I've played P4 and P2:IS, I'm about 2/3-3/4 through P2:EP and I'm theoretically about halfway through P3FES, but I kind of completely forgot I was playing it and haven't gone back to it yet! :D

Welcome!

It gets a little crazy at times, but deep down inside we all appreciate each other's company. I hope you enjoy your stay.

PS: Bitchin' avatar dude, Eikichi is the greatest.

Squire

Banned
His shadow could be a Sega share holder.

1049.gif

dkoy

I'm actually really hyped for this, just for the shadow portraits and animations :D for some reason I reeeaaalllyyyy like them

Dantis

I wish I understood fighting game terms because I don't understand most of the changes.

5C>Sweep? I guess that's a good thing?

5 is the direction, and the directions are like a number pad, so 5 is neutral/no direction. C is weak Persona attack. So the first part is neutral weak Persona attack, or no direction +Y/Triangle.

Sweep is a universal move, and is 2+A+B, or down +X+A/down+Square+Cross.

I think.

PK Gaming

5 is the direction, and the directions are like a number pad, so 5 is neutral/no direction. C is weak Persona attack. So the first part is neutral weak Persona attack, or no direction +Y/Triangle.

I think.

Pretty much

I think of most of the characters in the game can combo into sweep, so it's not that impressive. What is impressive is the ability to set up combos after sweeps (Yu and Chie are the masters at this, hence why they're so good).

kewlmyc

Who's 5C > Sweep? Yukari's? It's not a good thing or a bad thing, it's just a combo.

It was just an example. What I'm mostly talking about is when P4U2 was first shown, it was said that Yu's sweep was removed. Somehow this made the character severely nerfed. I didn't understand why. Also Mitsuru's DP was still strong and there were more opportunities for option selects and what not. I love watching fighting game streams but I don't understand most of it. :p

I think.
I actually helped quite a bit. Thanks buddy!

Necrovex

I feel a little bad when I saw the term "5C," I thought people were referring to the anime studio. I was like "Persona 4 Arena 2 is going to have animated scenes done by 5C?! I sure hope there isn't any shitty CGI like in the Berserk films!"

It was just an example. What I'm mostly talking about is when P4U2 was first shown, it was said that Yu's sweep was removed.

As Dantis said up above, Yu and Chie thrive on their ability to set up something called okizeme (trying to trick your opponent into blocking the wrong way when they stand up from being knocked down) from their sweeps. Since Yu is now apparently unable to combo into sweep, he can no longer easily set up okizeme, which means that it is harder to do a ton of damage.

FluxWaveZ

As Dantis said up above, Yu and Chie thrive on their ability to set up something called okizeme (trying to trick your opponent into blocking the wrong way when they stand up from being knocked down) from their sweeps. Since Yu is now apparently unable to combo into sweep, he can no longer easily set up okizeme, which means that it is harder to do a ton of damage.

Yu's Sweep > 5D is back (but still nerfed) in loketest #2.

Squire

Banned
Catherine will probably be the short film before P5's full-length movie when it's all said and done.

I don't have time to play through that game, but is there a YT playlist with all the cutscenes or whatever?

Dantis

Catherine will probably be the short film before P5's full-length movie when it's all said and done.

I don't have time to play through that game, but is there a YT playlist with all the cutscenes or whatever?

Catherine is tremendous. You're missing out.

It's basically the Persona guys saying "We have a year spare. Fuck Persona. What do we want to make?". It's like their best qualities distilled into something crazy.

cj_iwakura

It's basically the Persona guys saying "We have a year spare. Fuck Persona. What do we want to make?". It's like their best qualities distilled into something crazy.

Yep. And if that's what they do in their spare time, then by god, give them more of it.

It's a masterpiece, Inorigo.

Squire

Banned

Yep. And if that's what they do in their spare time, then by god, give them more of it.

It's a masterpiece, Inorigo.

You are missing out on the second or third best game they have ever made.

I believe you guys, but I'm really not into that gameplay.

I mean, I played the demo when it first came out and now it's been $20 on both platforms for ages. If I had any genuine desire to actually play it myself, I would have by now.

cj_iwakura

I believe you guys, but I'm really not into that gameplay.

I mean, I played the demo when it first came out and now it's been $20 on both platforms for ages. If I had any genuine desire to actually play it myself, I would have by now.

It's so good once you understand it. So good.

But mind you, I loved it from day 1.

kewlmyc

Catherine is pretty fantastic, but holy crap, that game was aggravating on higher difficulties.

Gazoinks

Is Catherine worth playing even though I basically entirely spoiled myself on the story a while ago when I had no interest in playing it? >.>

cj_iwakura

Is Catherine worth playing even though I basically entirely spoiled myself on the story a while ago when I had no interest in playing it? >.>

Absolutely. I played the JP version with minimal story knowledge, yet still was told who the big bad was, and loved the US version even more.

Gazoinks

Absolutely. I played the JP version with minimal story knowledge, yet still was told who the big bad was, and loved the US version even more.

Well, I have a backlog the size of The Tower of Babel that probably won't be crumbling any time soon (that was your classy reference of the day), but I'll pick it up sometime. :p

cj_iwakura

I beat it on the default level.

The game was so hard that Japanese gamers were complaining and they patched in an easier mode.

Which I call baby mode. I'm surprised they found it that tough. I platinumed the dang thing, and beat it in a foreign language, on normal. Without patch.

cjkeats

Catherine is amazing. One of the most unique things I've ever played and I play a lot of weird shit.

I absolutely loved the story. Really one of those games I just wish I could completely forget and do again.

Squire

Banned
In an attempt to gather what we know:

Dates

- Date the Persona 5 and Persona teaser website domains were registered were on June 25, 2013.
- Date of Persona 3 The Movie #1 release: November 23, 2013 (Saturday). Released in all 6 prefectures and capitals featured on the teaser website.
- Date of reveal: November 24, 2013 (Sunday) at 20:00.

Website Information

- The persona5.jp domain and p-ch.jp were both registered on the same day, June 25, 2013, by Index corp. MysticDistance believes that the former domain was registered so that it might eventually redirect to the latter.
- The reveal will be game related as the P-Studio logo is displayed alongside the Atlus logo. Most likely Persona related considering the development studio and the domain name.
- There are specifically three boxes at the top of the page.
- The red coloring of the website, as toddhunter and others have pointed out, resembles the red coloring of P4A2's character select screen:

- The only interactive element of the website are the three boxes and the six locations at the bottom of the page. When a box is clicked on, it shakes for around a second. When a location is clicked on, it shakes for around two seconds. When any of the items is clicked on and another is clicked while the first is shaking, the first item will continue shaking indefinitely until it is clicked once again.

Previous Teasers

The only Atlus teasers of substance in this style of a mysterious website or ad I've found are:

- Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon via the "On the day when Yin and Yang come together a new jiken (event/incident) will begin" tease in Famitsu on a July 2008 issue of Famitsu. The game was announced the same month.

- Devil Survivor via a Famitsu tease in an October 2008 issue. Doesn't really count since the title was outright announced, but it was still a teaser.

- Shin Megami Tensei IV via a May 2012 two-page ad in Famitsu. Doesn't really count either since what this game was as well as its platform was pretty explicit and the official website launched a day or several after the tease.

That's all I could find. It doesn't seem that Atlus has ever really teased a video game product via an actual website before? Other than things like a Persona soundtrack announced via an ad in Famitsu or a teaser website for the Persona 3 movie, all of their games seem to have been teased via Famitsu?

If this is a first, based on their history, I really wouldn't think this would be something insignificant like an iOS game or browser based game.

36243-slow-clap-citizen-kane-orson-w-bJkI.gif

cj_iwakura

I'm becoming more and more optimistic that this is really it. Gonna be a painful two months. Thanks for the reassurance, Flux.

Hey, not to brag, Moonlight. :p But come on, JP gamers are usually hardcore. I'm not that good at stuff. I can't scratch the JP leaderboards for Catherine.

I'm satisfied with clearing challenges, not mastering them.

So I'm surprised their complaining made that big a deal to warrant a patch.

Levito

Banned

You should really just play it dude, I know you'd like it. It's only like 12 hours.

FluxWaveZ

Catherine is awesome.

Related to the teaser website: Now I'm not claiming that whatever's gonna happen on November 24th is Persona 5, but for once that's also not an unlikely proposition either.

Looking at whatever it is at its most basic, mixed with my opinions:

- It's game related.
- It's Persona related.
- It's either: one single announcement with 3 important factors to it or three separate announcements of varying levels of importance.

The main event, based on how they've teased things before, definitely won't be some kind of iOS crap and also won't be related to P4A2, I believe.

Interestingly, they've never teased something so obscurely before. In the past, there's always been something like the picture of a cat or a logo so they could keep us guessing—trying to solve whatever puzzle they were presenting—or so that we pretty much knew what the tease consisted of but wanted us to anticipate more info on it.

This time, there's literally nothing except for a very specific date and six locations. Hell, they've taken things into their own hands instead of relying on a third party like Famitsu. Whatever it is, they definitely don't want us to be able to guess much about it at all, at least for now. Sign of it being a big deal? Maybe.

Going back to those three bullet points, a list of what I think the main announcement could be:

1. Persona 5
2. Persona spin-off or collaboration
3. Persona 3 re-release (announcement will take place one day after the first P3 movie is released in theaters)
4. Persona 2 re-release

I really think number 1 and 2 are the most likely, with 4 being the least likely. 3 is possible, but I don't think they would form a pretty big teaser for them, all things considered, solely for a new version of a game we're familiar with.

Meia

Catherine is awesome.

Related to the teaser website: Now I'm not claiming that whatever's gonna happen on November 24th is Persona 5, but for once that's also not an unlikely proposition either.

- It's game related.
- It's Persona related.
- It's either: one single announcement with 3 important factors to it or three separate announcements of varying levels of importance.

The main event, based on how they've teased things before, definitely won't be some kind of iOS crap and also won't be related to P4A2, I believe.

Interestingly, they've never teased something so obscurely before. In the past, there's always been something like the picture of a cat or a logo so they could keep us guessing—trying to solve whatever puzzle they were presenting—or so that we pretty much knew what the tease consisted of but wanted us to anticipate more info on it.

This time, there's literally nothing except for a very specific date and six locations. Hell, they've taken things into their own hands instead of relying on a third party like Famitsu. Whatever it is, they definitely don't want us to be able to guess much about it at all, at least for now. Sign of it being a big deal? Maybe.

Going back to those three bullet points, a list of what I think the main announcement could be:

1. Persona 5
2. Persona spin-off or collaboration
3. Persona 3 re-release (announcement will take place one day after the first P3 movie is released in theaters)
4. Persona 2 re-release

I really think number 1 and 2 are the most likely, with 4 being the least likely. 3 is possible, but I don't think they would form a pretty big teaser for them, all things considered, solely for a new version of a game we're familiar with.

I'm still going on the idea of multiple release things, with 3 being one, console release of P4A2 being a second, and 1 being the third, and obviously the biggest one.

I'd again also say since this is the month that the Sega thing becomes final, it makes sense from a business standpoint to announce something your fans have been waiting literal years for to show you'll be ok.

FluxWaveZ

I'm still going on the idea of multiple release things, with 3 being one, console release of P4A2 being a second, and 1 being the third, and obviously the biggest one.

I'd again also say since this is the month that the Sega thing becomes final, it makes sense from a business standpoint to announce something your fans have been waiting literal years for to show you'll be ok.

That seems like a feasible trio.

I'm not sure that their need to reassure the fans is very relevant anymore, but the acquisition being finalized on November 1st would certainly give them the leeway to announce important projects of theirs all they would want without the announcements conflicting with business details.

cj_iwakura

- It's game related.
- It's Persona related.

I hope they do a bit more teasing about it. Atlus USA were great(if evil incarnate) about that.

Also, I remember the fun when the cat ad was unveiled. Most thought Raidou, some thought DDS.

The green eyes were a dead giveaway for it being Gotou though.

Meia

Hrm, I can't remember.

I know I got Persona 3, then I stopped playing around July in game after finding out about Fes and just being in general bored with the game. Then FES came out, I transferred stats over, and plowed through it. So maybe...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom