• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo is the superior humour anime anyways.

eatthepastamc6.gif

It's something that I take for granted, coming from NY. Pizza is AMAZING. Got it at a friend's in RI over the summer, blah.

Know of no good mexican places save for taco bell, which isn't good. :(
Yeah I live near one mexican restaurant and it's not even that good, so I have to stick to Taco Bell. So weird man.
wvEZMp6.jpg

Crossovers are fun.
You people watching anime should watch Panty and Stocking. It's hilarious.
Already watched it. It's pretty... eccentric, but I liked it.
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo is the superior humour anime anyways.

eatthepastamc6.gif
This guy gets it

FluxWaveZ

Only anime I've ever straight up quit was Medaka Box about five minutes in. Panty and Stocking was vulgar, but I could stand it because it was at least approaching that from such an intentionally excessive and absurd manner.

What I can't stand is when something is pandering for the sake of it and is playing it straight.

Kazzy

Only anime I've ever straight up quit was Medaka Box about five minutes in. Panty and Stocking was vulgar, but I could stand it because it was at least approaching that from such an intentionally excessive and absurd manner.

What I can't stand is when something is pandering for the sake of it and is playing it straight.

Say what you will about it's quality (it isn't good), but if there anything you can't accuse Medaka Box of, it's that it plays it straight.

FluxWaveZ

Say what you will about it's quality (it isn't good), but if there anything you can't accuse Medaka Box of, it's that it plays it straight.

The pandering? Well, again, I only watched about five minutes of it, but blatant, sexual fanservice is not my thing. This is something that Panty and Stocking doesn't really have especially because of its artstyle. There are those transformation scenes, but that's pretty much the extent of it.

Kazzy

The pandering? Well, again, I only watched about five minutes of it, but blatant, sexual fan-service is not my thing. This is something that Panty and Stocking doesn't really have especially because of its artstyle. There are those transformation scenes, but that's pretty much the extent of it.

And neither is it my thing, but sometimes its such a small part of the makeup of a show. I think it's fine to admonish something on that basis, or at the very least, choose not to watch something solely on that assumption; but if someone then turned around and mentioned that they watched Game of Thrones, well, then I'd find it quite peculiar.

Yes, say what you will about its seriousness, at least comparatively to the majority of anime, but they could easily sidestep that sort of stuff if they really wanted to. I guess it boils down to the inherent bias we hold against certain mediums, myself included. I've seen many people offer a similar critique, after which they will mention several things that are easily more "risque", yet hide it behind a veil of superiority. But I feel like I'm harkening back to past rants on this kind of subject.

I always feel like this thread continually skirts close to pitchfork waving when it approaches the subject of anime. Ironic, considering.

FluxWaveZ

I always feel like this thread continually skirts close to pitchfork waving when it approaches the subject of anime. Ironic, considering.

Seriously? Aren't most people who frequently post in this thread people who also contribute to anime threads? Criticizing particular aspects of a show isn't pitchfork waving and it's OKAY to not like certain things.

I don't care if sexual fanservice is a small part of a show. When it's on full blast in its first minutes, I'll turn it off and won't think about watching it again because it's not something I want to see.

I don't have any inherent bias towards ANY entertainment medium. There are things I like and things I don't like, like any normal person. What I do is ignore/criticize the things I don't like and consume/appreciate the things I do.

Dantis

And neither is it my thing, but sometimes its such a small part of the makeup of a show. I think it's fine to admonish something on that basis, or at the very least, choose not to watch something solely on that assumption; but if someone then turned around and mentioned that they watched Game of Thrones, well, then I'd find it quite peculiar.

Let me just check that I'm understanding this right: You find it peculiar that someone who watches a show like Game of Thrones (Which has frequent sex and nudity) might say that they wouldn't watch a particular anime because they find the sexual fan service gross?

That's what you're saying, right?

Levito

Banned
Something Persona on topic Social Links.

Fan service is kind of case by case basis for me, usually if it's not overbearing I don't have a problem with it. I prefer shows like Fate/Zero that have virtually none of it though, as opposed to Highschool of the Dead which was writhe with it.

Game of Thrones, along with a lot of HBO shows panders with it's nudity/sex like a lot of fan service in anime. Though I get why people just more uncomfortable with fan service in anime.

Hey folks that love TLOU: Have any of you tried to Platinum it?I've been considering it but I'd need to do at least 2-3 more playthroughs and play a asston of multiplayer.

Somewhat related question: Do you folks care about trophies/achievements at all? Sometimes I feel obligated to get them for some reason.

Kazzy

I'm not going to specify certain people, and my entire point isn't beholden like something to Game of Thrones, but that is genuinely an example I have seen banded about in the past. Like I said, their relative levels of actual content may differ, yet the preconceptions are formed around the same notion, namely its sexual content. My point was that, based around a relatively small portion of a show, they could both be similarly misrepresented.

I'm really making a general reference to the undercurrent of passive-aggressiveness towards the medium in general, which does exist here. I'm certainly not bothered about people having genuine grievances, and anime does inhabit something of a cultural ghetto, but I cannot stand the air of flippancy that surrounds the majority of the criticism here. A lot it is simply unfounded, and there are those who will present their whole opinion on nothing more than their own misgivings, having no real context on which to base it.

You mean like Persona? And no, not just P4G. It was already doing that.

That's what you're saying, right?

Thanks for summarizing my post for me.

So, do you care to offer a response, rather than needlessly dragging out your responses, piecemeal throughout the thread. I know you often shirk confrontation around this subject, but seeing as you wanted to engage me on this one...

Dantis

Hey folks that love TLOU: Have any of you tried to Platinum it?I've been considering it but I'd need to do at least 2-3 more playthroughs and play a asston of multiplayer.

Somewhat related question: Do you folks care about trophies/achievements at all? Sometimes I feel obligated to get them for some reason.

I haven't yet, but I plan to. I have the first multiplayer trophy though, and it took a good amount of time to get.

I like trophies and achievements. It gives me a reason to play through a game multiple times.

Thanks for summarizing my post for me.

So, do you care to offer a response, rather than needlessly dragging out your responses, piecemeal throughout the thread. I know you often shirk confrontation around this subject, but seeing as you wanted to engage me on this one...

I was just checking that's what you meant. I find it amusing, that's all! Confrontation is so hostile.

FluxWaveZ

You mean like Persona? And no, not just P4G. It was already doing that.

Exactly like Persona. Your example here isn't a "gotcha", I've stated multiple times already how I've been displeased with the gross moments of fanservice in P3 and P4.

Not at all. They're a nice representation of how much one's played a game and what they've done in them, but I never prioritize them or even look at them often.

Levito

Banned
I haven't yet, but I plan to. I have the first multiplayer trophy though, and it took a good amount of time to get.

I like trophies and achievements. It gives me a reason to play through a game multiple times.

There are a few mutliplayer trophies, which do you mean? Completing the Firefly or Hunter journeys takes about 84 matches to complete.

Levito

Banned
I think those two are the only ones, aren't they?

I got the Firefly journey one, anyway.

There's Knowing the Basics(Win a game of Supply Raid and Survivors in find match), Populace(Build your clan to 40 people in Factions), then the Firefly and Hunter Journeys.

TLOU has way too many "Collected X of these" and "Beat game on new game plus after unlocking difficulties" trophies though.

Jintor

I like them in that they can shape goals for times when I'm primarily just enjoying the gameplay of a game, but when I'm playing games for the cheevos, everything has gone south

Trigger

I like them in that they can shape goals for times when I'm primarily just enjoying the gameplay of a game, but when I'm playing games for the cheevos, everything has gone south

I agree with all of this. I rarely get all the trophies for any game.

Meia

Depends. These days with 70 hour work weeks, I game when I can, and for me to platinum/1k score a game these days, it needs to be something really special. I think I've only done it with 5 games at this point. I know Bioshock 1 was one of them, Dark Souls was another. I'm still working on 4 Golden, but with my backlog it's on hiatus. :p

If a game has multiplayer achievements I usually just flat out write it off and won't care. For collectible achievements, I'll play through the game the first time with a FAQ open so I get them as I go, not caring too much if I miss any, but making note of the ones I do for the next one.

Levito

Banned
Collectible achievements are the one's that kind of get to me, I thought Bioshock Infinite and Uncharted had a lot of them.... But dear god The Last Of Us has like 6 trophies centered around collecting items, listening to optional dialog, and hearing Ellie's stupid jokes. >.<

but when I'm playing games for the cheevos, everything has gone south

Back in 2009 I did that with the Terminator Salvation game, 4 hours to get a platinum, man that was a horrible game.

Jintor

for instance, my favourite game for its gameplay of all time is probably bayonetta (though even that I think in a gameplay sense is imperfect in some respects). I platinum'd bayonetta sort of half by accident just because i fucking love playing bayonetta. I'm currently stuck on angel slayer because that mode is fucking difficult as balls. Part of me is glad they didn't tie any achievements to beating it because I've probably been playing angel slayer for like 50 hours at this point and i still haven't beaten the fucking thing.

I don't think I've ever platinum'd any game before, but I got 1000/1000 achivement points on a precious few games, one of them being Assassin's Creed 2 and I think Brotherhood maybe...oh AC, what has UBI done to you :(

I've Platinumed The Walking Dead, Playstation All-Stars and one or two others. I honestly don't really have time for trophy hunting considering how busy I usually am, so typically I just play a game until it stops bringing me joy and then move on to the next one. That's why I dropped some games immediately after I beat them (i.e. I think TLoU would lose some of its effect on me if I played through it a second time, even though I love all of Ellie's goofy costume options) whereas I'm stilling playing some games many months on (i.e. Metal Gear Rising).

cjkeats

I platinumed Virtues Last Reward a few months ago. My first platinum and I've had a PS3 since launch year. :/

Got a few 100% complete on 360 though, only arcade games. Bastion, Dead Rising case Zero and Pac-Man Championship Edition DX.

I think the closest games I've come to Platinum'ing were Crack in Time and the inFAMOUS games.

Achievements/trophies generally aren't a huge thing for me, really.

I played VLR on 3DS since I didn't have a Vita yet, but it was still great. Currently debating whether or not I should use some of my precious Vita memory card space to download it as part of PS+ in order to replay it in the future. I may have to delete one of my less-played games like Patapon or Maverick Hunter though :/

Venfayth

Only game I'm close to Plat'ing is FFXIII-2. Just need to do the one where you get 100 advantageous battle starts in a row. Or whatever.

I played VLR on 3DS since I didn't have a Vita yet, but it was still great. Currently debating whether or not I should use some of my precious Vita memory card space to download it as part of PS+ in order to replay it in the future. I may have to delete one of my less-played games like Patapon or Maverick Hunter though :/

Is there anything superior about the Vita version?

FluxWaveZ

Is there anything superior about the Vita version?

Pretty sure the sound quality and graphical fidelity are superior in the Vita version and it doesn't have the catastrophic save bug (that might have been patched?).

Pretty sure what's superior in the 3DS version is the UI and overall controls.

Levito

Banned
I've Platinumed 4 games: Dead Space 1, Resident Evil 5, Uncharted 3, and Terminator Salvation.

Also got all the trophies in things like Linger in Shadows and Flower.

Is P4G a hard game to platinum?

From what I gather, Hardcore Risette Fan and the one for reading all the books are the two most bothersome for obvious reasons. The rest are pretty straightforward; heck, I got some 57-odd percent of them just in my initial playthrough.

Venfayth

Pretty sure the sound quality and graphical fidelity are superior in the Vita version and it doesn't have the catastrophic save bug (that might have been patched?).

Pretty sure what's superior in the 3DS version is the UI and overall controls.

UI I guess is better on 3DS if you want to write notes in game instead of using pen and paper. There are a few in game notes that actually get cut off at the bottom of the screen and you can't read them in the 3DS version.

On Platinums, only two games I did were PS All Stars and The Walking Dead (PS All Stars was practically a handout, TWD's was straightforward a handout). I 100%'d Tekken Revolution but it has no platinum to it. I almost 100%'d JoJo's Bizarre Adventure HD (no platinum again on this one), only one I'm missing is taking no damage on the bonus stage. I'm pretty close to getting a platinum on Max Anarchy (who'd have guessed, a platinum on a Platinum game huehue) just outside of beating the campaigns on hard and
defeating the Krakken within a time limit. Beating Cthulu within the time limit was easy as hell but I'm having difficulty on the Krakken one
, and a couple other little trophies.

As for platinuming P4G, I don't see that happening. I don't care that much to get Hardcore Risette Fan lol, seems like too much work.

Omikaru

I've platinumed Sly, Sly 2, and Virtue's Last Reward. I'm thinking I may platinum Sly 3 and Persona 4 Golden in the future, but I'm not in any rush to do so. I've never aimed to get a platinum, and just happen to acquire it through the course of playing what I enjoy about the game. I actually don't care much for the act of collecting trophies, other than seeing what in-game stuff people on my friends list have done in comparison to what I've done.

Moonlight

Banned
I've platinumed... Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Gravity Rush. That was back when I first got a Vita and I wanted to get as much mileage as I possibly could out of the games I got with it. Not an experience I'd like to go through again.

I've been considering platinuming P4G one day.

Squire

Banned
I haven't Platinum'd anything. Achievements are mosfly a nice bonus for me, though I do have some I'm a bit proud of.

To me, the best trophy sets are the ones that make you really explore different facets of the game and go off the beaten path. I think RDR has an excellent trophy set.

Levito

Banned
To me, the best trophy sets are the ones that make you really explore different facets of the game and go off the beaten path. I think RDR has an excellent trophy set.

Yeah they're the best when then add to the experience in some way, or encourage you to do thing to might've not experienced otherwise.

Collecting the actual notes in TLOU is really interesting, cause they actually add to the experience, but things like the firefly pendants is just.... boring.

Squire

Banned
Yeah they're the best when then add to the experience in some way, or encourage you to do thing to might've not experienced otherwise.

Collecting the actual notes in TLOU is really interesting, cause they actually add to the experience, but things like the firefly pendants is just.... boring.

I think the way they handle that stuff is the best variant of notes/audio logs I've seen. There's just enough that it adds to the experience, but doesn't detract from the experience if you miss them.

And it's believable stuff. You're finding journals in places where they would be, but you're also finding quick notes to friends and lists. They did that stuff so well.

The Firefly pendants are just collectibles, but hey, I guess they still add to the world.

Levito

Banned
They're pretty standard notes you'd find in classic survival horror games, I mostly just love that kind of stuff in general.

Astra

In game notes? Take them like a real man with pen and paper!

Damn right. I have a nice notebook I bought for just such a use.

I don't have too many platinums.

I did Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Kingdoms of Amalur, Fallout 3, Virtue's Last Reward and I think that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom