• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

Really? It felt the same to me. Just less grinding I guess.

Here's some images to give you an idea of what I mean.

persona-3-fes-tartaruzesw0.jpg
p42q6s01.jpg

Notice the difference in layouts? P3's dungeons try to condense everything closer, like a kid's puzzle maze. The floors are smaller; one floor in the Midnight Channel is equivalent to about two or three floors in Tartarus. In contrast, P4's dungeons go for longer hallways and more boxed rooms on the side.

Neither game handles their dungeons terribly well, but for the most part the randomized floors in Persona 3 are handled much better than the ones in Persona 4. If there was better variety in Tartarus's art style and more random events, then it could practically qualify for being a Roguelike/Roguelite!

(And if you're wondering if I've played P3/P4 too much, the answer is yes.)

P5 really needs a better quest system (and you know there will be one). Either let me take quests from, like, an in-game website/velvet room attendant/whatever as long as I just have to check like one place or put markers over the heads of quest givers like in Xenoblade.

A ton of characters who got portraits almost feel like red herrings.

Indeed. Which is so annoying because, like (major SMT4 spoilers)
trying to rescue the Captured Samurai is what drives a lot of the latter parts of the plot and for him to not have either a name or a face, it sort of... diminishes the impact. People die all the time in Tokyo, why should I care about this one single guy?

Gazoinks

p42q6s01.jpg

Notice the difference in layouts? P3's dungeons try to condense everything closer, like a kid's puzzle maze. The floors are smaller; one floor in the Midnight Channel is equivalent to about two or three floors in Tartarus. In contrast, P4's dungeons go for longer hallways and more boxed rooms on the side.

Neither game handles their dungeons terribly well, but for the most part the randomized floors in Persona 3 are handled much better than the ones in Persona 4. If there was better variety in Tartarus's art style and more random events, then it could practically qualify for being a Roguelike/Roguelite!

Yeah, I actually noticed this when I started playing P3. Tartarus as a whole gets amazingly tedious, but the floor randomization is a bit better and more maze-like than P4's straight hallways and boxes.

p42q6s01.jpg

Cool, never looked at that way.

Caladrius

Indeed. Which is so annoying because, like (major SMT4 spoilers)
trying to rescue the Captured Samurai is what drives a lot of the latter parts of the plot and for him to not have either a name or a face, it sort of... diminishes the impact. People die all the time in Tokyo, why should I care about this one single guy?

They didn't give Nozomi one either even though she has a lengthy sidequest chain.
And then they gave a character portrait to someone who gets killed 10 minutes later.
Kaga is the real Waifu of SMTIV.

Meia

....so this is what happens when Tuesdays aren't PersonaGAF Tuesdays anymore.

EDIT: ^I fucking died lolol

Hey, at least this thread is MOVING, damn. It's almost like something got announced, but no, it was actual discussion! :p

Playing through P3P again, I do think I still prefer how 4 did dungeons, but 3 had some really good things going for it. I liked how in 4 the difference in perspective made things some bear-ren, but I did really like "accident" floors of Tartarus, which really shook things up sometimes. 5 having a mix of the two would be good, but proper dungeons would be cool too. SMT 4's, from what little I've played of it, had some neat dungeons.

Playing Fatal Frame 1 again, damn I forgot how much of a hot mess the VA was. @_@

Musolf815

Wooo finally got my Persona 4 Art Book and not for $100+! Amazon had a small window where they were selling new ones, so hopefully they're printing it again!

Dantis

Playing Fatal Frame 1 again, damn I forgot how much of a hot mess the VA was. @_@

The voice acting gets better as goes on, but yeah, the first one is pretty ropey.

The first game is the worst, by far. From the second game onewards, they are really, really special. Even the plot to the first one isn't great (Though it has some good moments).

Levito

Banned
First Fatal Frame is the most flawed but it's also the scariest one IMO.

Granted I haven't finished the others completely.

PK Gaming

Haha I can understand that sentiment

Ai was also a character that they tried to portray as attractive, but always seemed kinda fuggly to me. She kinda always reminded me of a weird alien with her orange eyes and large forehead

"Whatever man, she wasn't even that hot."

P4G's idea of "Very Hard" was total bullshit. It didn't actually make the game harder, it just made everything more grindy. :\

I don't agree with that. If you brute forced your way through very hard then you were playing it wrong. The mode forces you to optimize your Personas to win. And it absolutely did increase difficulty, even if you disregard the lowered xp/less mp gain, enemies deal more damage and you deal much less.

Sophia

I don't agree with that. If you brute forced your way through very hard then you were playing it wrong. The mode forces you to optimize your Personas to win. And it absolutely did increase difficulty, even if you disregard the lowered xp/less mp gain, enemies deal more damage and you deal much less.

You are misinterpreting me. The only difference between Hard and Very Hard is that the "EXP and Money" ratio has been set to "Less than Normal", and the retry option has been disabled for both dungeons and battle.

It literally only makes the game more grinding. Although it's nice for doing low level runs.

Soriku

You are misinterpreting me. The only difference between Hard and Very Hard is that the "EXP and Money" ratio has been set to "Less than Normal", and the retry option has been disabled for both dungeons and battle.

It literally only makes the game more grinding. Although it's nice for doing low level runs.

This sounds awful. Hope they work on the difficulty better in P5.

Sophia

Sounds just as hardcore as Raidou 1. Only I bet Raidou 1 is still worse. I actually cleared that madness.

Raidou did half damage, enemies did 8X.

Hmm. Because I'm not familiar with the Raidou games, do they have a means of not taking damage? If there's a way to actively decrease the amount of damage the player takes (I.E. Dodging hits or defending like in most action RPGs) then that isn't nearly as absurd as it sounds. Still absurd tho.

cj_iwakura

Hmm. Because I'm not familiar with the Raidou games, do they have a means of not taking damage? If there's a way to actively decrease the amount of damage the player takes (I.E. Dodging hits or defending like in most action RPGs) then that isn't nearly as absurd as it sounds. Still absurd tho.

You can guard. That just means you take a fraction of damage instead of dying in one hit. You can dodge as well, but it's not nearly as effective as in Raidou 2.

cj_iwakura

For fear of sounding like a braggart, I think I may have the lowest level kill of Satan in DDS2. All the recordings show Level 99 teams killing him. I did it at 84/82/82. Is it worth recording(and surviving) that BS fight again to prove it?

Caladrius

For fear of sounding like a braggart, I think I may have the lowest level kill of Satan in DDS2. All the recordings show Level 99 teams killing him. I did it at 84/82/82. Is it worth recording(and surviving) that BS fight again to prove it?

If you enjoy torture, of course.

Necrovex

So the story is actually good this time?

Let's not go that far. I am loving the game, but the quality is what you can expect from David Cage. I quite enjoyed Heavy Rain, despite its heavy writing flaws, so I am a little bias when it comes to QD's games. I am feeling super attached to Jodie.

There's a very high chance this game will be in my top five list for GOTY, maybe even top spot. I spent five-to-six hours playing it, and I only stopped for my workout and to prepare for bed (gotta wake up at 6 for work!). I aim to finish it tomorrow. Also, the last game I marathoned was Persona 4 Golden.

is Dafoe actually Ellen Page?

Dantis is Ellen Paige.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom