• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

You can see where she stores the ammo at. They're the chambers on her wrists. Seeing as they're missing when she goes to school, she probably doesn't carry the ammo on her.

Like the rest of the female case except Rise, her weight is not listed in Persona 4 Arena....

dkoy

You can see where she stores the ammo at. They're the chambers on her wrists. Seeing as they're missing when she goes to school, she probably doesn't carry the ammo on her.

Like the rest of the female case except Rise, her weight is not listed in Persona 4 Arena....

Always wondered about that. Any reason for this? It's not because of some weird fan mentality is it?

kewlmyc

I forgot about her chambers.

She's still made of metal though, so she must be heavy. Heavy enough for others to notice a "girl" of her size shouldn't be that heavy.

Meia

Always wondered about that. Any reason for this? It's not because of some weird fan mentality is it?

Probably because any of the females would KILL someone if that info got out, but Rise doesn't care because such things are on public records for forever now. Kind of the same reasoning she gave about the measurements thing...

It's a nice touch.

Yep, when in Persona 4, Teddie was about to reveal the characters weights and medical info and stuff, all the girls freak out but Rise says go ahead, that all her info is already on her website except apparently the bust size on the site is like bigger than her actual bust. It is a funny touch.

video game creators are remarkably bad at knowing what is and is not a realistic weight for characters.

uHym6Y6.png

Six feet tall, one hundred and forty-three pounds.

(which, I mean, that's not so outlandish for his lanky p4 appearance, but that's about 30~40 lbs underweight for his arena appearance)

Sophia

video game creators are remarkably bad at knowing what is and is not a realistic weight for characters.

Height too. For some reason video game characters are either remarkably tall (see: Anything created by Monolith Soft) or remarkably short.

At least the heights of the characters are normal in Persona 4. The weights are all off tho. Yosuke deserves special mention. He's 5'9" and 128 lbs. Which gives him a BMI of 18.9. Which is just barely acceptable weight levels for a male his age. >_>;

uHym6Y6.png

(which, I mean, that's not so outlandish for his lanky p4 appearance, but that's about 30~40 lbs underweight for his arena appearance)

Yeah, There is no way Kanji is 143 lbs with his height and that build, lol.

Meia

uHym6Y6.png

Considering that weight's "normal" for someone that's 7 inches shorter, it's still silly, even given how off BMI can sometimes be as a measurement.

Sophia

Considering that weight's "normal" for someone that's 7 inches shorter, it's still silly, even given how off BMI can sometimes be as a measurement.

The bigger issue is that all those muscles he seemingly has in Arena should be a good 15-20 pounds extra.

There is no way Kanji weighs that much, he's definitely heavier.
Yosuke I would understand. Most of my male classmates at the Japanese school weigh around that much. It's normal for asians.

So much that Japanese have a different BMI scale than the west. for them 23-25 is overweight and 25+ is obese (as opposed to 25-30 overweight and 30+ obese for the west).

dkoy

What's that in real units then

143lbs (pounds?) is ~65kg
because these guys are probably Yanks :p
. So yeah that's waaay too little for Arena Kanji judging by his appearance o_O. Strange though I swear they don't list his weight in Arena, I thought it came up as ?? for him in the loading screen character profiles. Did I remember wrong?

Sophia

143lbs (pounds?) is ~65kg
because these guys are probably Yanks :p
. So yeah that's waaay too little for Arena Kanji judging by his appearance o_O. Strange though I swear they don't list his weight in Arena, I thought it came up as ?? for him in the loading screen character profiles. Did I remember wrong?

You remember wrong. Kanji's weight does indeed come up as 65kg on Arena's screen.

Proof.

Does anyone still play P4A regularly? I've finally finished the story mode and will start heading into the online side. I'm on 360 though, but it's £10 in CEX for PS3 so I wouldn't mind swapping over.

I say 'in a bit' and 'in a bizzle' in real life, but I very rarely say chaps because I'm not that posh. ;)

My friend from Eton always says 'chaps' and it bugs me to no end.

I'm off to play some Polo chaps, tally ho!

Sophia

Does anyone still play P4A regularly? I've finally finished the story mode and will start heading into the online side. I'm on 360 though, but it's £10 in CEX for PS3 so I wouldn't mind swapping over.

We play here and there online in the chatroom. But all of us are on the PS3 version cuz online is mostly dead on the 360 version.

You guys should stop convincing me to buy Persona 4 Arena, damn it.

I CAN WAIT FOR THE UPDATED VERSION.

I DON'T NEED IT.

tumblr_mngsb2rVOX1rzu2xlo1_500.gif

I DEFINITELY DON'T NEED IT

Dantis

So what your saying is, if I want to play I'll need the PS3 version.

No problemo.

It's maybe worth pointing out that I don't think it's worthwhile to buy the PS3 version just to play with guys in chat. As far as I'm aware, games of Arena are very few and far between.

I mean, it's only £10, so it's hardly breaking the bank, but still.

It's maybe worth pointing out that I don't think it's worthwhile to buy the PS3 version just to play with guys in chat. As far as I'm aware, games of Arena are very few and far between.

If the online in general is more active,
which Sophia made it sound like,
it should be worth it. Playing from people in chat will just be an added bonus.

Plus it's £10. I'll just live without my morning coffee for a week.
;_;

Sophia

Couple times a month, usually. They died down because of the apparent lack of a sequel. Then the sequel was announced so we started playing again.

Your best bet is to ask during the evening in US time.

;_;

Last I checked, you could actually find ranked games regularly on the PS3 one. ;p

Dantis

;_;

The PS3 online is definitely more active, though I couldn't say how active that is.

Couple times a month, usually. They died down because of the apparent lack of a sequel. Then the sequel was announced so we started playing again.

Your best bet is to ask during the evening in US time.

I didn't even know it was that frequent.

Sophia

I didn't even know it was that frequent.

You would if you actually came into IRC instead of entering and exiting the scene like Batman rushing off to deal with a criminal. :p

As an aside, it appears Persona 4 Golden has surpassed 300,000 sold. Source straight from Atlus, via Gematsu. This accounts for downloads too, but it doesn't say if it includes international sales or if it's just Japan only.

You would if you actually came into IRC instead of entering and exiting the scene like Batman rushing off to deal with a criminal. :p

As an aside, it appears Persona 4 Golden has surpassed 300,000 sold. Source straight from Atlus, via Gematsu. This accounts for downloads too, but it doesn't say if it includes international sales or if it's just Japan only.

Japan only.
P4G did 100k in US so LTD WW could be 500-400k.

Thanks to Sega's influence, Persona 5 will feature product placement much in the same vein as the stuff in the modern Phantasy Star games.
puguu~
You guys should stop convincing me to buy Persona 4 Arena, damn it.

I CAN WAIT FOR THE UPDATED VERSION.

I DON'T NEED IT.

tumblr_mngsb2rVOX1rzu2xlo1_500.gif

I DEFINITELY DON'T NEED IT
But the ultimate edition (game and DLC) is on sale for $30 on PSN...

muahahaha...

nice use of spongebob btw

EMT0

Banned
Japan only.
P4G did 100k in US so LTD WW could be 500-400k.

When was that figure for the US reported, and aren't US Vita software sales heavily biased towards digital? I mean, I bought PG4 digitally. I own all my games digitally, except for a physical copy of P4G because this game deserves my money and I only payed $20 for it when I bought it digitally. I've got a gut feeling that you could probably double that number for US sales.....emphasis on gut feeling. Mainly because I could swear Sony reported some insane figures for the digital/physical split on software for Vita.

I've been thinking more about my Persona 5 wishlist and have made some changes/expanded on the character's back-stories as well as the game's backstory and Theme a little bit.

The Theme will be not conforming to the mainstream, seeing difference in others as strength rather than weaknesses, family, and order and unity vs. chaos and separation.

The characters will summon Personas by materializing Persona masks on their faces (each of which is unique) and taking them off. This plays into the whole "differences/outcasts" theme because of the symbolism of wearing and taking off a mask.

Plot: The Protagonist and his ragtag party investigate the workings of a "secret social group" called The Unity which appears to be possesing their members with shadows in order to create, what is to them, a "perfect world" of homogeneity. The unity also posses devices which produce conditions in which Shadows and Personas can exist (similar to the Dark Hour) which they use during their secret rituals. The group can't expose them to the public because they do not know how far up their treachery extends so instead they make a pact to take down the Unity through whatever means possible, but are thwarted at every turn by "The Watcher" The Unity's mysterious enforcer.

Gameplay: The Dungeon crawling aspect will be slightly more open world than Persona's 3 and 4. A little bit like an unholy mix between Persona 3 and SMT 4. The days will be used for social linking, and the nights can be used to do quests. There will be an overworld map (maybe similar to the Tokyo map) of the city that can be traveled to and fro and the party will be able to enter certain places which will function as the randomly generated dungeon and the party will fight in these places against the shadows employed by The Unity. There will be a certain number of generic Minor Operations (side-quests) that need to be completed before heading to do Major Operations against the Unity (plot advancement) set on certain dates. Examples of Minor Operations include: information gathering, disrupting Unity rituals, rescuing hostages, etc. etc. and each Operation will be equivalent to about 1/3 of a dungeon in P4, the team can engage in unlimited Operations per night but are limited by mana scarcity.

List of Characters (In order in which they gain their persona/join the party):

Protagonist: Orphan. Was raised at an Orphanage with Chitosi. After Chitosi came of age he moved in with her at an apartment. Has moved to the new town because Chitosi got a job as a dorm chaperon at a boarding school, and enrolled in the school. Although he is a silent Protagonist you can see his through the options available that he is somewhat brave, to the point of brashness and a bit Oblivious to things around him. Him, Ana, and Rei visit a harmless-seeming Unity meeting which goes haywire and they are all attacked by shadows. This is the first time that The Protag's, and Ana's personas are awakened. And the first time that they witness the treachery of The Unity.
  • Arcana: Fool
  • Starting Persona: Ptah
  • Ultimate Persona: Amun-Ptah
  • Weapon: Staves and war scepters
  • Wild Card
I chose the gods Ptah and Amun because in Egyptian mythology they were the creator gods, and appeared out of nothingness which is correlative with the fool arcana. Ptah is also the patron if artisans and the craftsmanship and thus represents individuality/distinctiveness which ties in to the Theme.

Ana Ito: Girl that Protag and Chitosi meet at the new school. Her father is a Japanese man who grew up in Brazil, and her mother is a Brazilian woman, they moved to Japan before Ana was born because her father acquired a very well paying job there. She has always been teased because while born in Japan, she is culturally Brazilian and learned to speak Portuguese before Japanese and therefore developed a bit of an accent. Is ashamed of her heritage, and in social situation where she feels uncomfortable she tries too hard to "act Japanese. " Is an incredibly passionate person and is single-mindedly dedicated to stopping The Unity. Is a huge nerd and often discusses things like video-games, manga, and American comics with Rei. She has a Rise-esque crush on the MC, but is awkward and not as loud about it as Rise, and this coupled with the fact that the Protagonist is completely oblivious to it (bar the social link romance route) makes for some comedic moments. She gets her persona when her, the protagonist, and Rei decide to attend a Unity meeting at the beginning of the game, and are attacked by shadows, specifically while The Protagonist is being overwhelmed her persona awakens and saves him. She is also very skilled at Capoeira.
  • Arcana: Lovers
  • Starting Persona: Sekhmet
  • Ultimate Persona: Astarte
  • Weapon:Capoeira and twin batons
  • Specialty: Healing, and Physical damage, some fire damage
Sekhmet and Astarte are both goddesses of love, healing AND war in Egyptian and Canaanite mythologies respectively; this not only reflects Ana's personality in that she is somehow both tomboy-ish and a girly girl at the same time but also their aspects as Love deities reflect on the Lovers arcana. She has the Lovers Arcana because of the inner conflict within herself between the two cultures tugging at her simultaneously (Also Lovers Arcana= Canon Romance ) Sekhmet was chosen because she was a wrathful and fickle goddess to the egyptians who brought salvation just as often as destruction
also Sekhmet is the consort of Ptah
. Astarte fulfills the same role, but is one of the only personas in the cast that do not hail from Egyptian myth, this represents her growth and acceptance of her foreign culture as part of herself. I chose her to be Brazilian because of the issues of rampant racial discrimination, and Brazilians are the largest non-asian minority group in Japan.

Hachi Imagawa: Homeschooled kid whose parents pushed to be the best of the best. Best friends with Ana. She is a genius, and deduced the team's activities simply by noticing a change in Ana's behavior after she started doing operations. Obtained her persona after following the team on their first mission (unbeknownst to them) and getting attacked by a shadow. Her Persona has limited Analytical powers, and acted as the teams Analyzer until Rei obtained his persona. Much like Ana, Rei, and Ji she is an outcast to most of the kids her age. Is extremely protective of Ana whom she considers brash and immature, but is aloof, snobby, and snarky to the rest of the cast, especially to Ji, who hits on her at every occasion. She eventually admits that its all a facade that she puts on because if she projects a tough exterior then people will pick on her less, and that she sees everyone on the team as her family this growth of heart awakens her to her Ultimate persona, Nephthys.
  • Arcana: Priestess
  • Starting Persona: Persephone
  • Ultimate Persona: Nephthys
  • Weapon: Longbow
  • Specialty: Ice Damage and Dark Magic, Debuffs
She is a Priestess arcana because priestess represents self-initiative, and decision, and Hachi is a character who gets shit done. She deduced that the team was up to something and actually followed them into danger. Persephone is a Greek goddess of fertility and the underworld whose worship was widespread across the Mediterranean this represents her own self-exclusion, while not completely foreign, she is distant to the rest of the team. This changes to Nephthys, an Egyptian goddess, when she finally understands that there is no need to distance herself from people. Both of these are goddesses associated with death because of her gothic personality and dark sense of humor.

Ji-Hoon Cheong (Ji): Korean transfer student who is embroiled in the chaos after he joins The Unity in an effort to become more accepted. After he sees The Unity's true nature he attempts to back out but is taken hostage instead. This coincides with the group's first raid on a Unity hostage facility and he is saved before The Unity can posses him with a shadow. The shock of seeing shadows battle against Personas awakened his own Persona, Baal Zephon. Always Hotheaded, he swears revenge against The Unity. Being Korean, he is picked on and discriminated a lot, but responds to this discrimination with extreme belligerence. In time he learns that he needs to make people understand him rather than be simply angered at their ignorance, this awakened him to his Ultimate Persona Melqart. He is the girl-chaser of the group and often gets them into wacky misadventures.
  • Arcana: Chariot
  • Starting Persona: Baal Zephon
  • Ultimate Persona: Melqart
  • Weapon: Lance
  • Specialty: Tank, Electric Damage, some physical Damage
Again there is a theme of using non-Egyptian figures to denote difference or foreignness. Both gods Baal Zephon, and Melqart, were Syrian/Phoenician protector-gods of travelers and those taking voyages. However Baal Zephon was seen as a fickle and wrathful god of storms, while Melqart was a more amicable god and protector of traders and navigators who was worshiped all around the Mediterranean, from Syria to Spain. This denotes his growth and change of heart about how he responds to discrimination around him, and his focus on correction and changing, rather than simply being angry.

Rei Hirado: plays the "best friend" character role. slightly overweight. Made a connection with Chitosi from the second that he met her, and fell madly in love with her. He was actually present and conscious during the party's first confrontation with personas but was the only one in the trio who did not receive his persona right away. He only gained his Persona after the team's a confrontation against The Watcher while they were searching for a gigantic shadow called Ammit that The Unity has created by turning many people's souls into shadows. Ammit was so powerful that Hachi's rudimentary detection could not perceive it, and Ammit had free reign to attack the party without retaliation, and when Ammit was about to land its finishing blow, Rei's persona awakened, and he was able to analyze the creature so that the Team could do its thing. He is a jokester, and has a very upbeat and outgoing personality. However deep inside he has self-esteem issues and feels like he is unfit to be a member of the team. He also has a fixation with The Watcher and finding out the watcher's true identity and motives, because he believes that they are not as transparent as they seem.
  • Arcana: Magician
  • Starting Persona: Thoth
  • Ultimate Persona: Lord Kemennu-Thoth
  • Weapon: none
  • Specialty: Analysis
I wanted to have a magician character whose arc is romantic in nature and didn't end in tragedy. The Magician Arcana represents him striving to become more powerful because he feels that its the only way to earn his place in the team. He is actually different than most other Magicians in the past because of his complete disinterest in chasing any girl other than Chitosi. I imagine that in the obligatory "lets pick up girls" scene, while the Protagonist, Ji, and Genji are all down to pick up chicks, Rei is more worried about what Chitosi would think if she were to see them. I imagine him as the kind of glue that keeps the team together, even in the hardest of times. A recurring theme in his social link is that he doesn't feel like his is good enough for the team, a good enough friend to the protagonist, and not good enough for Chitosi, even though he really is for all of these things. The fact that he was there from the beginning but didn't receive his Persona until after Ji-hoon joins the party plays into his insecurities, as well as the fact that his Persona is Analytic rather than Combative. His resolution that no matter how he saw himself, he would try his hardest to be the best for the team's sake awakened within him his ultimate Persona.

Isae Uesegi: Rich daughter of a wealthy restaurateur . Her Parents were tricked into joining The Unity and were some of the first to be possessed by shadows. They Unity used them to get to their daughter, whom they knew had the potential. They prepped her to be sacrificed for a ritual which would summon a great shadow but she was saved by the team. Joined them and swore to save her parents whom she knew would never harm her willingly. She is otherwise cheery and incredibly kind but naive and sometimes ditsy. Later in the game The Unity sets a trap for the party, but her parents resist their possession and sacrifice themselves in order to save the party, her resolve to never let anyone be hurt by The Unity, like her parents were, awakens within her the Ultimate Persona, Mut.
  • Arcana: Strength
  • Persona: Nekhbet
  • Ultimate Persona: Mut
  • Weapon: Bludgeons
  • Specialty: Electric Damage, Buffs, some Physical Damage
I thought of Isae as a foil to Hachi, who is rational, intellectual and gloomy. Isae brings the team up as much as Hachi grounds them. She is of the strength Arcana, because although she has an incredibly tragic backstory she has the inner strength to continually act cheery, even in the darkest situations. Her resolution to protect all people from The Unity is the reason she has Nekhbet and Mut (protection goddesses) as her Personae.

Genji Takeda: Popular kid, and part of the popular "clique" of the school. Full of himself and cocky but defends people who are made fun of. He believes himself to be the leader of the group, and butts heads with the MC. Joins the group when he begins to suspect something is wrong with The Unity, as more and more of his friends and acquaintances begin to join it and start to act strangely. He was always friendly to the group, even when some for his popular friends weren't, so they decide they can trust him, and they tell him everything, they also tell him that The Unity had been unnaturally quiet for some time and that they suspect that they me planning something catastrophic. He agrees to be used as "bait" in order to expose The Unity's newest plot. Things go awry, and the group once again has to save someone from The Unity. Once the group gets to the end, they see what The Unity had been up to; they had opened an unstable portal to The Shadow world. and for a split second they get glimpses at their shadow selves before the unstable portal collapses in on itself. Leaving only one Shadow Self there, the shadow of the person who was powering the portal apparatus against his will, Genji's shadow. Then the whole P4 spiel happens where he denies his self-centeredness yadda yadda. They beat it. He accepts it. And he gets a Persona.
  • Arcana: Hierophant
  • Starting Persona: Imhotep
  • Ultimate Persona: Akhenaten
  • Weapon: Throwing weapons
  • Specialty: Fire and Light magic, healing
The Persona 4 way of obtaining Personas was always my favorite, sadly I couldn't think of a way of having the whole cast obtaining their Personas in that way while still doing it justice. Besides the fact that every pertinent character in the cast
(except for two; The Protagonist and Rei)
had the potential seemed a bit too coincidental for me
And having the watcher give Genji the potential didn't seem to make sense because the watcher only subconsciously gives the potential to those she has a connection with.
This gives me a chance to give a slight wink to the past
(unlike the heavy-handed winks to come)
and still maintain cohesion. Anyway, Genji's initial self-centeredness is manifested by his persona, Imhotep, an architect who was deified as a god of medicine, he slowly changes however, and tries to focus less on himself and more to help others, then his Persona changes to Akhenaten, Pharaoh and Priest of the One god, Aten. his personal shift in tone between personal deification to submission to others is represented by this change.

Chitosi Shimazu: Protagonist's childhood friend and big sister/mother figure who has taken care of him since they were children. About 3-4 years older than the rest of the cast. Loves the protag immensly but believes that she needs to be his caretaker rather than his friend (which explains his lack of social link with her initially.)
She never told the protagonist where she cam from, however. Her birth parents where both researchers at a cell of the Kirijo group under Kouetsu Kirijo's leadership of the company, and were researching a newly discovered power called "persona" of which their daughter had the potential. By studying their daughter like a lab rat, not only did they awake her to her potential, but also discovered that she actually had the power to instill the ability to subconsciously instill the potential into others during times of extreme need. Her parents tried and failed with many experiments to get their daughter to give them her power, until one day when they found a solution that would transfer her powers to them, and in the process kill her. Luckily she was rescued by another researcher just before her she died and put in an orphanage far from the reach of her parents. The chronology of this also helped her survival since it was around the time of the explosion and Mitsuru's grandfather losing power of the Kirijo group. She grew up not telling anyone of where she came from, not even the orphanage workers, but during her 18th birthday the same researcher (who is now a teacher at the school which they attend) who saved her told her that her parents were still alive, and are back to doing grotesque experiments on people under the guise of a cult-like social club called The Unity. This is the real reason that she moved to the city in which the game takes place, because she planned to re-unite with her birth parents, pretend to loyal to them, and take them out from the inside, as their greatest champion, The Watcher, this is complicated by the fact that her parents never let go of their agenda of taking their daughter's power, and she is forced to give up her secret mission and join the group. It was actually her, disguised as the watcher, who gave the protagonist the power of the Persona during The protagonist, Ana, and Rei's first encounter with The Unity and shadows, and also her who gave Rei the power of Persona during her confrontation with the team during the "Behemoth Event" = this strange way of obtaining his persona gave the MC the ability of the Wild Card
She is very serious, especially when it comes to protecting the protag and her friends. She has a cool personality, but can be a bit of a buzz-kill.
Is actually in love with Rei, but until a certain point in the game (when they both get their ultimate Personas) feels like she can never tell him, or even respond to his advances for several reasons.
  • Arcana: Empress
  • Starting Persona: Seshat
  • Ultimate Persona: Hathor
  • Weapon: Broadswords
  • Specialty: Wind Magic and Status Effects, some healing
I wrestled between giving her the Empress Arcana or the Justice Arcana, but upon meditating on her arc and such, I came to the conclusion that she was an Empress. Also Seshat was the goddess of wisdom and knowledge, but most importantly, the goddess who gave Humans the gift of writing
parallel to Chitosi giving the protag the gift of Persona.
Her social link is compulsory much like Teddie's. Her character arc also closely intertwines with Rei's and therefore both of her personas are very closely related to Thoth, Rei's persona.

The final boss comes when the team finds out that the portal to the shadow world that The Unity was using was only a prototype, which they had since then perfected. They go to The Unity headquarters but arrive too late, and see that all of the security guards and workers (who had no ties to The Unity) had been turned into shadows, and that Chitosi's parents had been taken over by a huge mass of shadows called Apophis who claims that he only gives humanity what they want. They want a world where everyone is the same, equal. And he will go through the world and give humanity the equality it craves by turning everyone to shadows.

aaaaaand that's it, damn that took a long time to write lol its probably riddled with all sorts of logical inconsistencies and spelling/grammatical errors. Would any of you artistically minded members of the forum be interested in helping me design and draw my vision? haha it could be a cool project to work on while we wait for the real, and undoubtedly much better Persona 5 to come out.

Playing through Persona 4 for the first time. I wanted to know how many days does it take for the NPC dialogue to change? Is it like in P3: FES where it all changes on random days for different NPC's or is it a fixed amount of days?

Tamanon

Banned
Playing through Persona 4 for the first time. I wanted to know how many days does it take for the NPC dialogue to change? Is it like in P3: FES where it all changes on random days for different NPC's or is it a fixed amount of days?

Usually, I've found that dialogue for NPCs changes after the fog, and usually a week or two after that also when they start offering quests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom