• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMT0

Banned
I agree, and this actually almost feels like a bizarre flaw to me. Everyone is so good that nobody stands out.

In P3, Yukari and Junpei are the obvious best characters, but in P4, I like Yosuke the most and Yukiko the least. Everyone else? No idea.

You and I can be bros. And they told me you had terrible opinions.

Levito

Banned
His style from P2 onwards is very cold and vacant. I think it's great. Very unique.

Anime is often very... positive looking. Lots of smiling people and bright colours. Kaneko really breaks away from that kind of thing.

His work on the various persona and demons are outstanding, a lot better Soejima in that regard. However his designs for some of the human characters makes them look like department store mannequins. (Can't unsee)

Gazoinks

His work on the various persona and demons are outstanding, a lot better Soejima in that regard. However his designs for some of the human characters makes them look like department store mannequins. (Can't unsee)

I still get a kick out of this design. It's just... so ridiculous and so amazing.

Yamaoka.jpg

I think it's really neat to see how differently the three artists portray Maya. It says a lot about each artist.

Soejima and Doi's designs are meant to be more evocative of Maya's actual in-game faces for IS and EP. Doi's in particular.

BmOWMLd.png

Nlgo3pK.jpg

(Doi's other EP character art is pretty much just straight up redrawn based on Kaneko's stuff - which is fine, but is also disappointing because if they're ok with doing that in EPP, they could have done it SMT4)

Dantis

Soejima and Doi's designs are meant to be more evocative of Maya's actual in-game faces for IS and EP. Doi's in particular.

(Doi's other EP character art is pretty much just straight up redrawn based on Kaneko's stuff - which is fine, but is also disappointing because if they're ok with doing that in EPP, they could have done it SMT4)

Well... yeah. Soejima drew the in-game portraits in the first place, so of course his art will look closer to them.

Like I say, I've always seen it as deliberate. His older stuff isn't like that, it just progressed in that direction.

cj_iwakura

I think it's really neat to see how differently the three artists portray Maya. It says a lot about each artist.

His style from P2 onwards is very cold and vacant. I think it's great. Very unique.

He's done some great concept art.

tsumi-group-1.jpg

By and large, Doi did my favorite Maya incarnation.

Caladrius

I have no idea why he's using my avatar.

It's a form I assumed to bring about The Ribboning, I've been talking about it all week.

The DDS world is pretty well realized as far as Kaneko works go.

The art style really plays well to the really off feeling of the world, helping make the people in the Junkyard look even more alien while still making them relateable. It's both ugly-cute and hits the uncanny valley at the same time.

His creepy artstyle really makes it hard for me to forget a game because there's absolutely nothing else quite like it. It's gonna be a damn shame when he retires.

I actually like Yasuda's design, especially the clothes.
Haru and Amane in Devil Survivor were amazing!

I do agree that his concept of body proportions is not realistic thoough :p

BmOWMLd.png

Nlgo3pK.jpg

I feel the same way, I like Doi's art direction but his character design is bad to mediorce most of the time. I don't think Doi is a good fit for SMT (or at least not when it comes to character designs). I felt like what I have seen of SMT IV is a step back from Nocturne and strange journey(in terms of art).

POKEMANS

WHO HAS IT

I DO

I really don't like that series. Tried it once, couldn't get into it. Felt way too dumbed down compared to SMT.

I respect the popularity though, so I just avoid the threads.

It's anything but dumbed-down. The battle system is far more complex than SMT's has ever been, and even if the story isn't anything to write home about, they're still really dang fun to play.

Has anyone noticed how well optimized the teaser site is for cell phones?
:lol
It's anything but dumbed-down. The battle system is far more complex than SMT's has ever been

I'm assuming he never played it competitively. If you are just blasting through the story and not touching multiplayer, towers or battle frontier, it definitely gets a bit simple.

edit: I would LOVE a competitive SMT, shit would be amazing

Daimaou

I DO

It's anything but dumbed-down. The battle system is far more complex than SMT's has ever been, and even if the story isn't anything to write home about, they're still really dang fun to play.

I cannot disagree harder. The only reason Pokemon seems more complex is because it actually has a competitive meta-game. If Nocturne, SJ, or IV had a mode where you could battle other players, it would be far more complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom