• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

Any game with the press turn system as it exists now wouldn't not inherently work for multiplayer. The system is designed to allow you to slaughter random enemies within a single turn. By its nature, it doesn't work.

In contrast, one on one Pokemon battles don't usually end in one blow unless using a specific meta setup.

Meia

IVhRulR.jpg

Want.

Would buy for a high price.

Also Fatal Frame 1 done, as good as I remember, though parts of the end of the game are flat out bullshit. I actually missed games with tank controls(never had a problem with the scheme), but when you start fighting two teleport spamming things at the same time, it can kiss my ass. :p

I cannot disagree harder. The only reason Pokemon seems more complex is because it actually has a competitive meta-game. If Nocturne, SJ, or IV had a mode where you could battle other players, it would be far more complex.

I honestly doubt it. SMT's systems have always been relatively straightforward, and are designed around exploiting enemy's weaknesses in order to wipe them out in one turn.

Plus, the competitive scene would eventually just devolve into fusing demons with as many immunities as possible and then spamming Almighty spells with the occasional debuff thrown in for good measure :p

Daimaou

Any game with the press turn system as it exists now wouldn't not inherently work for multiplayer. The system is designed to allow you to slaughter random enemies within a single turn. By its nature, it doesn't work.

In contrast, one on one Pokemon battles don't usually end in one blow unless using a specific meta setup.

Yes and no. People would design their demons with the press turn system in mind, most likely covering their weaknesses. It'd lead to some very interesting "which element do I use" guesswork.

They'd have to re-balance some things (mostly just almighty spells), since as a single player game they can get away with having blatantly overpowered a bit more easily, but I think a competitive SMT game would be glorious.

I honestly doubt it. SMT's systems have always been relatively straightforward, and are designed around exploiting enemy's weaknesses in order to wipe them out in one turn.

Plus, the competitive scene would eventually just devolve into fusing demons with as many immunities as possible and then spamming Almighty spells with the occasional debuff thrown in for good measure :p

Sounds like Pokemon!

Skill slots limit the former. It depends on the game and demon you use as a template, but a full immunity demon is going to end up severely crippled in terms of flexibility, possibly even limited to only their basic attack. The efficacy of healing spells combined with the ability to buff defense and debuff offense limits the usefulness of the latter to some extent, though certain moves would still probably need tweaked if they wanted a serious meta-game.

Sophia

Yes and no. People would design their demons with the press turn system in mind, most likely covering their weaknesses. It'd lead to some very interesting "which element do I use" guesswork.

They'd have to re-balance some things (mostly just almighty spells), since as a single player game they can get away with having blatantly overpowered a bit more easily, but I think a competitive SMT game would be glorious.

And the moment someone discover the weakness of the enemy, the match effectively ends. You'd have to either alter the amount of abilities, alter the among of demons per team, or alter the amount of turns you can get in the press turn system. Because right now it's designed for Single Player. Pokemon works the way it does because any given Pokemon can only have four skills and switching those skills leaves you open for a turn. In contrast, modern MegaTen games usually average 16 skills per player.

Although, interestingly, skills such as Tetrakarn, Makarakarn, and the Elemental Break skills would be much more useful in a multiplayer match.

Daimaou

And the moment someone discover the weakness of the enemy, the match effectively ends. You'd have to either alter the amount of abilities, alter the among of demons per team, or alter the amount of turns you can get in the press turn system. Because right now it's designed for Single Player. Pokemon works the way it does because any given Pokemon can only have four skills and switching those skills leaves you open for a turn. In contrast, modern MegaTen games usually average 16 skills per player.

Although, interestingly, skills such as Tetrakarn, Makarakarn, and the Elemental Break skills would be much more useful in a multiplayer match.

Like I said, most people with any amount of sense would cover the weaknesses of their demons. Press Turn would become less about hitting weaknesses and more about avoiding strengths. Some would gamble on people assuming their weakness was covered for the extra skill slot, but it'd be pretty stupid in practice.

Levito

Banned
Ok, Michelle Ann Dunphy is coming on the podcast next Friday(18th).

If you're interested in coming on, let me know. with VO's there's only going to three panelists + 1 the guest. Only real rule is: You have to have a good microphone.

I'll figure out who gets actually joins the recording later. Though if you want, it can be decided in Mortal Kombat.

dkoy

If you're interested in coming on, let me know. with VO's there's only going to three panelists + 1 the guest. Only real rule is: You have to have a good microphone.

I'll figure out who gets actually joins the recording later. Though if you want, it can be decided in Mortal Kombat.

A quick google search tells me she voiced Margaret, and with the Sam Riegal situation setting a precedent, do you think she'll remember P4 much? Margaret didn't have as many lines as Teddie after all, but hey, the more VAs the better
I guess?

And why not settle it through P4A :p?

Meia

Mmmm, so good. Didn't know there was a hairstylist in the game too, thought it was just clothes customization. Now if there was only a way to take off the damn hat...

Meia

Short brown haired main character? Check.

Really hoping you can control the hair color better, would prefer white. Got brown with "surprise me", so maybe it's just totally random? Hoping for more than 3 colors. And of course, a hat removal option.

BTW, anyone who gets this don't forget to check for a mystery gift before you start, they're giving out a free pokemon online, just connect to the internet from the main menu.

Caladrius

Excellent. I've got my hands on the game and I'm ripping through, leaving a trail of blood and ribbons in my wake. My FC's 1478-3050-4649 for those who would like to add me.(PM me if you do with yours) Perhaps one of these days we could do a PersonaGAF cup.

*Desperately tries to stay on topic*
How many elements has MegaTen had anyway? The only ones I've ever encountered were the main 8 and the Aqua and Terra spells from P2.

Also Daimaou that list is so over-generalized it ain't even funny.

Daimaou

Excellent. I've got my hands on the game and I'm ripping through, leaving a trail of blood and ribbons in my wake. My FC's 1478-3050-4649 for those who would like to add me.(PM me if you do with yours) Perhaps one of these days we could do a PersonaGAF cup.

*Desperately tries to stay on topic*
How many elements has MegaTen had anyway? The only ones I've ever encountered were the main 8 and the Aqua and Terra spells from P2.

Also Daimaou that list is so over-generalized it ain't even funny.

As far as I know, Persona 1 had the most elements for attacks with Fire, Ice, Wind, Earth, Electric, Nuclear, Gravity, Force, Death, Nerve, Curse, Expel, Miracle, Tech, Rush, Special. Sword, 2Hand Sword, Spear, Axe, Whip, Thrown, Arrow, Fist, and Gun. There are 2-3 more categories for support skills but they don't have resistances associated with them.

As for the pokemon types, that's just how much each type's pokemon tend to appeal to me.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Put me down as a maybe.

kewlmyc

Strider the Froakie is ready! 5284-2206-1177 is my FC if you want to add me (I already have some of you).

Does one friend code work on all 3DS games or is it one per game like the DS was? I just got back from the store with my first ever 3DS.

Levito

Banned
I also asked Lotus Juice if we could interview him, but I he hasn't logged on FB in a while it seems. Getting so ancy about it. :p

A quick google search tells me she voiced Margaret, and with the Sam Riegal situation setting a precedent, do you think she'll remember P4 much? Margaret didn't have as many lines as Teddie after all, but hey, the more VAs the better
I guess?

And why not settle it through P4A :p?

After Riegal's episode, I worry about that with every VO. Guess we'll see how it goes--She seems to know the character well based on twitter.

cj_iwakura

What? This sounds like you didn't even initiate anything to begin with, haha.

I'm talking about taking a hint. If you hadn't even really started a conversation than, sure, I guess?

Well I talked to her for a while about P3 and her violin playing and stuff. Then she just kind of left.

Your relationship could improve soon... but it probably won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom