• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh god you thought I was a Brony?

43626123-bertstare-gif-.gif

I dunno why but this gif cracks me up every time

Soriku

Mitsuru's personality is terrible in my opinion. Completely cliche and unconvincing. Great design, boring character. Her role in the plot is good, but outside of that, I don't like her very much. Arena emphasized her flaws further, also.

Who are your favorite characters in P3/P4, anyway?

Dantis

Who are your favorite characters in P3/P4, anyway?

Inb4 Saori

THE BEST.

In terms of party members, I like Yukari and Junpei the most in P3. Yosuke and (Original) Chie the most in P4. But Chie only beats everyone else by a fraction. Aside from Yosuke, I like most P4 characters pretty equally.

Oh, she'd have a FUCKED up Other Self by the end of her arc.

Can you imagine? Her being a slink in 3 then a party member in 4 via the "YOURE NOT ME" method.

She has one of the darkest stories, so it would have been pretty interesting, to be honest.

Squire

Banned
In terms of party members, I like Yukari and Junpei the most in P3. Yosuke and (Original) Chie the most in P4. But Chie only beats everyone else by a fraction. Aside from Yosuke, I like most P4 characters pretty equally.

inb4 "Yukiko is boring"

Soriku

As far as P4 main cast goes, excluding Yu:

Kanji = Yosuke > Teddie > Everyone else

P3 cast is tougher. I'm not exactly sure, but Junpei is up there, especially for his character development later on.

EMT0

Banned
As far as P4 main cast goes, excluding Yu:

Kanji = Yosuke > Teddie > Everyone else

P3 cast is tougher. I'm not exactly sure, but Junpei is up there, especially for his character development later on.

This list is a winner, although I'd place Kanji behind Yosuke, barely.

He thinks shes the most mean spirited of all the characters.

Yukiko feels like one big stereotypical trope. I like her, but less than every other member of the cast.

Lunar15

He thinks shes the most mean spirited of all the characters.

Which is weird considering the fact that she's actually the one that gets Naoto to hang out with the group and is easily the most friendly to newcomers.

The only times when she's "mean", it's more out of ignorance or aloofness. She's shy and not used to hanging out with people other than Chie. She's mainly sarcastic to teddie, which I found to be a great counter to his corniness.

I think everyone has flaws that correlate well with their respective life issues. Yosuke has an inferiority complex, Chie a superiority complex, Kanji puts on a facade of toughness, yukiko shuts herself away from others, rise puts on a facade of ultra-friendliness, and naoto tries to act older than she should.

This list is a winner, although I'd place Kanji behind Yosuke, barely.

Yukiko feels like one big stereotypical trope. I like her, but less than every other member of the cast.

Every p4 character is a typical trope spun on its head. Yukiko, for example, is your typical ideal japanese lady, but she also has a wild side, an angry side, and a side that simply just cant stop laughing.

Lunar15

Every p4 character is a typical trope spun on its head. Yukiko, for example, is your typical ideal japanese lady, but she also has a wild side, an angry side, and a side that simply just cant stop laughing.

So you mean she is a multidimensional normal human being, which is exceedingly rare in video games. I think this is why i like P4's cast even more despite the fact that they can be really flawed: they seem really human. They actually do a lot of unpredictable things and don't fit the definition I keep trying to give them. P3 has this too, but I really felt it in 4.

Levito

Banned
Most of P4's cast fit neaty into certain anime character archetypes, though in every case the writing does enough for them to stand out on their own wonderfully. Some of them even subvert certain tropes, as Lunar said, the characters all have layers and depth--It's one of the reasons so many people connect with that game.

I don't think P3/4 have a character I actually hate. Even the "fuck ken" thing is more just a joke--I don't hate him.

Lunar15

I could be talking out of my ass, but I think they do it on purpose. P4 has every stereotype required for a JRPG cast: Goofy, hot headed sidekick, tomboy girl, quiet reserved girl, tough but soft guy, endearingly weird mascot character, overly moe girl, and the ultra serious plot device character.

But what they do is take all of those and really dig into why those archetypes exist. What makes those people tick and why they act the way they do. They even go into how they do not act how they're expected to. It's all a play on expectations, including yours as a player. I'm not going to sit here and say that the characters aren't archetypes because they absolutely are. It's the fact that we get an unusual amount of very relatable depth that makes it so satisfying. A lot of games have deep characters with well explained backstories and motivations, but rarely are they ever so intimate and easy to relate to. We may overhype it and inflate it in our minds (hindsight is usually positive leaning), but it definitely felt fresh at the time.

kewlmyc

Most of P4's cast fit neaty into certain anime character archetypes, though in every case the writing does enough for them to stand out on their own wonderfully. Some of them even subvert certain tropes, as Lunar said, the characters all have layers and depth--It's one of the reasons so many people connect with that game.

I don't think P3/4 have a character I actually hate. Even the "fuck ken" thing is more just a joke--I don't hate him.

Same here. I might constantly rip on Rise, but I don't hate her. I just find her annoying. I'm just talking about the original main cast of P3 an P4. Not any annoying additions added in FES or Golden.

PK Gaming

So you mean she is a multidimensional normal human being, which is exceedingly rare in video games. I think this is why i like P4's cast even more despite the fact that they can be really flawed: they seem really human. They actually do a lot of unpredictable things and don't fit the definition I keep trying to give them. P3 has this too, but I really felt it in 4.
Exactly.

That's why the Persona 4 cast is my single favorite cast in fiction. They're just so goddamn "human" it's so easy to think or talk about them.

Meia

Same here. I might constantly rip on Rise, but I don't hate her. I just find her annoying. I'm just talking about the original main cast of P3 an P4. Not any annoying additions added in FES or Golden.

Yep, it's why it's still probably my favorite game series, as characters have always made an RPG to me. Even though I dislike Rise's flirtatious idol persona, it is just one of the "parts" she plays. Other RPGs would take that one aspect and drive it into the ground to the point where you can genuinely dislike the character, but since each character has multiple aspects to them, it's almost impossible to dislike any of them.

Then again, this is a series that you can analyze the bosses and how they relate to the tarots they belong to, so they obviously give everything a ton of thought, so it shouldn't be all the surprising the cast is the best out there. I'm not really excited about Persona 5 so much as I am curious to see what they do with a whole new cast/setting.

Squire

Banned
I could be talking out of my ass, but I think they do it on purpose. P4 has every stereotype required for a JRPG cast: Goofy, hot headed sidekick, tomboy girl, quiet reserved girl, tough but soft guy, endearingly weird mascot character, overly moe girl, and the ultra serious plot device character.

But what they do is take all of those and really dig into why those archetypes exist. What makes those people tick and why they act the way they do. They even go into how they do not act how they're expected to. It's all a play on expectations, including yours as a player. I'm not going to sit here and say that the characters aren't archetypes because they absolutely are. It's the fact that we get an unusual amount of very relatable depth that makes it so satisfying. A lot of games have deep characters with well explained backstories and motivations, but rarely are they ever so intimate and easy to relate to. We may overhype it and inflate it in our minds (hindsight is usually positive leaning), but it definitely felt fresh at the time.

The whole cast is subverted archetypes and dr obstructions. That's my favorite thing about the game and a big part of why it sticks out as one of the better RPGs.

Dantis

Just skimming some random interview on Siliconera (Kara No Shoujo or something?) and I saw this:
RPGs are a popular genre in Japan, and are often a genre that focuses on storytelling, like visual novels. As a studio that makes visual novels, what do you think the most influential RPGs of the last few years have been?

The Megami Tensei and Persona series.

And it made me feel all fuzzy inside.

If we want to get reaaaally technical Arena and FES might not.

S'truth. Labrys doesn't subvert shit.

I guess she subverts the idea of Persona having good characters and character designs.

Levito

Banned
"Why Persona 4 is a bad shallow game" will return after a brief commercial break. Next up "Hey it's Tuesday Persona 5 Famitsu hopes" and shortly thereafter "Everyone suggest Dantis TV shows and anime he doesn't like."

A new season of "Persona 4 Arena is a horrible game" and "Persona 1 & 2 are so tr00" will premiere later today.

And now on to Trigger live on the scene with the weather.

Well Tom I'm standing outside the community thread and as you can see it's literally raining Salt all over the place.

Squire

Banned
"Why Persona 4 is a bad shallow game" will return after a brief commercial break. Next up "Hey it's Tuesday Persona 5 Famitsu hopes" and shortly thereafter "Everyone suggest Dantis TV shows and anime he doesn't like."

A new season of "Persona 4 Arena is a horrible game" and "Persona 1 & 2 are so tr00" will premiere later today.

And now on to Trigger with the weather.

36243-slow-clap-citizen-kane-orson-w-bJkI.gif

^But im a staunch defender of Persona 4 Arena Levito, I hope you know that :p

On the nose how? If you're leveraging this criticism at 4 specifically, how?

They really aren't that subtle about it. They take two opposing character types and mash them together. Kanji is a tough guy who beats people up, but he is also a nice guy who sews, Yukiko is a calm, dutiful girl but she is also a girl who gets very angry or likes to laugh and joke around. Teddie is a playboy who hits on all the girls but hes also very innocent and childlike. Chie likes to fight and beat stuff up but the role she wishes to be is a shield or protector to her friends. Naoto wants to be a cool mature detective but she is also very shy and childish. I would say that Yosuke and Rise are the most well realized and dynamic of the cast, showing a more subtlety and nuance to them, Yosuke especially.

I really hope you don't take it that I am just like slandering P4 or something. P4 is great, the characters are great, but I do feel that they could be more subtle about making the characters multi faceted. In Chie's case, shes even a static character, and if she wasn't likable off the bat, she would have turned out way differently. Hell, plenty of people don't like New Chie now that she has a different voice actor and characterization due to it. What was once a laid back and chill girl is now a loud and excitable and kind of rude girl. It is really interesting how tone and delivery can completely change how you perceive a character. Voice actors really do bring characters to life.

Lunar15

Gonna have to DVR "Everyone suggest Dantis TV shows and anime he doesn't like."

Don't want to miss a second of that.

This community needs P5 for its sanity.

PK Gaming

Levito, I think I love you.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

I SAID GOT DAMN

Squire

Banned
They really aren't that subtle about it. They take two opposing character types and mash them together. Kanji is a tough guy who beats people up, but he is also a nice guy who sews, Yukiko is a calm, dutiful girl but she is also a girl who gets very angry or likes to laugh and joke around. Teddie is a playboy who hits on all the girls but hes also very innocent and childlike. Chie likes to fight and beat stuff up but the role she wishes to be is a shield or protector to her friends. Naoto wants to be a cool mature detective but she is also very shy and childish. I would say that Yosuke and Rise are the most well realized and dynamic of the cast, showing a more subtlety and nuance to them, Yosuke especially.

I really hope you don't take it that I am just like slandering P4 or something. P4 is great, the characters are great, but I do feel that they could be more subtle about making the characters multi faceted. In Chie's case, shes even a static character, and if she wasn't likable off the bat, she would have turned out way differently. Hell, plenty of people don't like New Chie now that she has a different voice actor and characterization due to it. What was once a laid back and chill girl is now a loud and excitable and kind of rude girl. It is really interesting how tone and delivery can completely change how you perceive a character. Voice actors really do bring characters to life.

It's more that I think this is a non-issue you could accuse the whole series of, but once again P4 is singled out.

And really, I disagree. The characterization isn't heavy handed in my view and if Atlus were to make it so subtle you didn't notice, they'd be failing in a different way. The perspective you're coming from just sounds like a lose/lose, "damned if you do, damned if you don't" stance to me.

Gazoinks

I can't imagine how insane this thread'll get when P5 is actually announced, not to mention released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom