• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

That is fucking stupid.

Tc3r9Ko.jpg

Necrovex

Honestly, considering Dexter made me feel like a sucker for watching it all the way, I'll go with that. That final episode was nothing but one curb stomp to fans after another, and then a nonsensical ending thrown in. I mean, I loved LOST until the finale which made me kind of never want to watch it again, but it wasn't the bad feelings of Dexter by any stretch.

Then again I had heard that one of the big writers left the show after season 4, explaining oh so damn much. :\

The showrunner who handled the early parts of the series left after the fourth season. Imagine if Persona 5 was halfway done and was then given to the Sonic Team. That's how major it is to replace a showrunner.

Dexter starts out good. Final Fantasy XIII starts out with "Moms are tough."

Enough said.

"Moms are tough" is better than (Dexter finale spoilers)
"I defeated a hurricane, everyone is crying for my death but no one cares about Harrison (rightfully so), and I decided to pass off my child to a known serial killer. LIFE IS GREAT! TIME TO CUT DOWN A TREE!

I rather watch all of FFXIII cutscenes again than watch Dexter season five-eight again.

Ooh, Wikipedia says that movie is Hitchcock-esque. Sounds awesome.

Black Swan is Aronofsky's top film.

The Wrestler is my favorite of his films, with Black Swan being in second place.

Correct! I love Aronofsky. The Fountain is probably my favourite film of all time.

You would love Perfect Blue then. Aronofsky bought the rights to remake Perfect Blue in 2000. Black Swan is essentially a live-action adaptation of Kon's magus opus. A few scenes are direct live-action rips of Perfect Blue. Many themes and the main plot are super similar as well.

Cracked even wrote a list concerning which classic films were ripped off from other properties. Black Swan ranked number five for ripping Perfect Blue. Aronofsky is obviously a gigantic fan of it, so you should be too.

Edit: Look, Dantis, two articles proving our case! Reach out to the truth and accept it.

Dantis

I saw a website once comparing the two. Some scenes are 1:1.

I got about three minutes into a five minute comparison video before deciding that I disagree.

They'd taken very short clips of similar subject matter (Because of the similar themes) and said "Look how similar these are! In this scene from Perfect Blue, the protagonist's reflection talks to her and in this scene from Black Swan, the protagonist's reflection acts of its own free will!". That's because they use a similar broad theme of an innocent character exploring a darker side of herself.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm not saying that they're not similar. They clearly deal with similar subject matter. But comparing them scene for scene is seemingly a waste of time.

You would love Perfect Blue then. Aronofsky bought the rights to remake Perfect Blue in 2000. Black Swan is essentially a live-action adaptation of Kon's magus opus. A few scenes are direct live-action rips of Perfect Blue. Many themes and the main plot are super similar as well.

Cracked even wrote a list concerning which classic films were ripped off from other properties. Black Swan ranked number five for ripping Perfect Blue. Aronofsky is obviously a gigantic fan of it, so you should be too.
Fun fact about Cracked: Their articles often take a half truth and inflate it to something it isn't. Aronofsky didn't even write Black Swan, he only directed it.

Levito

Banned
You're just going to have to accept the lower quality bar because Aronofsky rips off weeaboo movies.

*snrk overload*

The Wrestler is better than both of them so it doesn't really matter.

Guys I admit I love The Fast and The Furious series. Seriously, look at these movie titles:

The Fast and The Furious
2Fast2Furious
The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift
Fast and Furious
Fast Five
Furious 6

So stupid. So good.

Necrovex

IFun fact about Cracked: Their articles often take a half truth and inflate it to something it isn't. Aronofsky didn't even write Black Swan, he only directed it.

Bah. I wish I had Black Swan on me. I am about to watch Perfect Blue again for Gaf's horror movie marathon, which Aronofsky's film would be perfect for. If I can acquire a copy of Black Swan from a friend, I'll rewatch it, and return to make my own argument without help from Levito's article or silly ol' Cracked.

But watch Perfect Blue anyway. You would love it, even if you dislike anime. There is no moe elements in it, so your sanity would be safe...in that regards. It has the possibility to fuck with your mind like Aronofsky's films.

You're just going to have to accept the lower quality bar because Aronofsky rips off weeaboo movies.

*snrk overload*

The Wrestler is better than both of them so it doesn't really matter.

I can hear Dantis projecting vomit all over his computer.

PK Gaming

It's a comparison that works.

The episode where Gus gets beaten up? That's an S Link event waiting to happen.

Hahaha, oh my god

Could you imagine a Randall S.Link? There's an episode where he gets hit by a rock and they hold a trial to find out who did it, but it turns out that it was Randall who hit himself wanted the attention. A Vince S.Link could cover his rivalry vs Lawson or depression after getting by Ashley Q in kickball.

Hustler kid is Tanaka.

Levito

Banned
Guys I admit I love The Fast and The Furious series. Seriously, look at these movie titles:

The Fast and The Furious
2Fast2Furious
Fast and Furious
Fast Five
Furious 6

So stupid. So good.

Fast Five was BS because there's no way Riddick could beat up The Rock. It's impossible.

Dantis

Bah. I wish I had Black Swan on me. I am about to watch Perfect Blue again for Gaf's horror movie marathon, which Aronofsky's film would be perfect for. If I can acquire a copy of Black Swan from a friend, I'll rewatch it, and return to make my own argument without help from Levito's article or silly ol' Cracked.

But watch Perfect Blue anyway. You would love it, even if you dislike anime. There is no moe elements in it, so your sanity would be safe...in that regards. It has the possibility to fuck with your mind like Aronofsky's films.

From the clip that I watched, it looks like an interesting film. If I ever sign up for Lovefilm again, maybe I'll watch it.

I don't have anything against anime as a creative medium, it's just that virtually every anime I have been presented with is, at best, uninteresting to me, and often much worse than that.

Cowboy Bebop is a good example of an anime that I had absolutely no real problems with.

Hahaha, oh my god

Could you imagine a Randall S.Link? There's an episode where he gets hit by a rock and they hold a trial to find out who did it, but it turns out that it was Randall who hit himself wanted the attention. A Vince S.Link could cover his rivalry vs Lawson or depression after getting by Ashley Q in kickball.

Hustler kid is Tanaka.

That's an S Link event right there. This is exactly the kind of thing I mean.

Fast Five was BS because there's no way Riddick could beat up The Rock. It's impossible.

Doom Guy was just holding back. He knew that Dominic Torretto would become immortal and become Riddick in the far future, FF is also an avengers prequel.

Also did you know the Spy Kids series and the Machete series take place in the same universe and the Machete character played by Trejo is in every one of those movies.

Rhapsody

Banned
I don't have anything against anime as a creative medium, it's just that virtually every anime I have been presented with is, at best, uninteresting to me, and often much worse than that.

Cowboy Bebop is a good example of an anime that I had absolutely no real problems with.
While I like anime, it's hard to find many that are good in the sense you're thinking of. The only ones for me were Evangelion and Clannad with its depth and themes (but some people will disagree) while other stuff I just enjoyed for entertainment or other reasons.

If people don't mind reading manga, I highly recommend people to read Oyasumi Punpun though. Closest thing in quality I've found to novels for manga.

"Why Persona 4 is a bad shallow game" will return after a brief commercial break. Next up "Hey it's Tuesday Persona 5 Famitsu hopes" and shortly thereafter "Everyone suggest Dantis TV shows and anime he doesn't like."

A new season of "Persona 4 Arena is a horrible game" and "Persona 1 & 2 are so tr00" will premiere later today.

looks like someone got the programming schedule mixed up, "everyone suggests dantis tv shows and anime he doesn't like" came on before "hey it's tuesday!"

Levito

Banned
Also did you know the Spy Kids series and the Machete series take place in the same universe and the Machete character played by Trejo is in every one of those movies.

Robert Rodriguez confirmed this!

From the clip that I watched, it looks like an interesting film. If I ever sign up for Lovefilm again, maybe I'll watch it.

To be legitimately fair to you Dantis, I don't understand why so many people here insist to must watch anime all the time. haha

For me anime is just like any other medium: Diamonds surrounded by a sea of crap. Even as much as I love western drama's like Breaking Bad, Game Of Thrones, and The Wire. I absolutey despise most TV, whenever I go to the gym fucking Storage Wars is on TV and it makes me ashamed to be of the same species as people that enjoy it.

Gaming is probably the one exception cause it can be enjoyed on so many more levels. The only truly horrendous game I've played in the past 3 or so years was Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Gazoinks

For me anime is just like any other medium: Diamonds surrounded by a sea of crap. Even as much as I love western drama's like Breaking Bad, Game Of Thrones, and The Wire. I absolutey despise most TV, whenever I go to the gym fucking Storage Wars is on TV and it makes me ashamed to be of the same species as people that enjoy it.

As a person who does watch a lot of anime, I pretty much agree with this. Stuff will be good, stuff will be bad, such is life, etc.

Necrovex

When I read that you are back on Lovefilm, or on the low chance I see you at the Persona concert, you will either have me pester you about it, or you will receive it from me. One of the two.

Also, here's one of my favorite piece from the film's OST; it's a superb track that nails the film's tone.

To be legitimately fair to you Dantis, I don't understand why so many people here insist to must watch anime all the time. haha

Gaming is probably the one exception cause it can be enjoyed on so many more levels. The only truly horrendous game I've played in the past 3 or so years was Aliens: Colonial Marines.

It's a Persona-Gaf's meme. :-D

And I agree with you on your other point. Anime has a lot of pure shit in it. So much garbage. But like western television, I have found a decent number of pure gems within Shit Mountain.

Dantis

This is probably the case for me, and if I watched lots more anime I'm sure that eventually I'd find something to enjoy.

But I have no intention of doing so. There's enough TV out there that I know that I enjoy that I'm rarely stuck for choice. And when that happens, I'll just rewatch Seinfeld again.

When I read that you are back on Lovefilm, or on the low chance I see you at the Persona concert, you will either have me pester you about it, or you will receive it from me. One of the two.

Also, here's one of my favorite piece from the film's OST; it's a superb track that nails the film's tone.

That is a much more interesting track than I had expected, honestly.

Necrovex

That is a much more interesting track than I had expected, honestly.

Kon is my favorite anime director for solid reasons. I cannot think of a single film that I have not adore that was directed by him. Many people love Miyazaki, like I do, but I hated some of his films, like Ponyo.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Doom Guy was just holding back. He knew that Dominic Torretto would become immortal and become Riddick in the far future, FF is also an avengers prequel.

I know this because of someone's Youtube Poop of the first Spykids movie and I saw him.

Marche90

I watched Rosario + Vampire for it's compelling characters masterful storytelling.

Changing to serious mode here for a bit: The anime is 100% garbage, however, the manga is very good. Literally the only thing that those two share are the "characters" and "setting".

Kinda hate whenever a good story gets horribly mangled for the adaptation. Such is life, I guess...

cj_iwakura

The Fast and The Furious
2Fast2Furious
Fast and Furious
Fast Five
Furious 6

So stupid. So good.

Speaking of anime references: Tokyo Drift has a few shout-outs to Initial D(two female racers in one car). I once heard a rumor that it started as an Initial D adaptation, but that's probably BS.

I laughed my ass off when I first heard this

Isn't he also their uncle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom