• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The characterization isn't heavy handed in my view

most of the major story scenes are characters literally talking to themselves about their opposing character traits. like, it's totes ok to like the characterization, but the persona series has always been pretty heavy handed.

idk a lot of the praise the persona series gets for its characters just goes to show how far behind video game storytelling still lags compared to, say, the average primetime teen drama

Squire

Banned
most of the major story scenes are characters literally talking to themselves about their opposing character traits. like, it's totes ok to like the characterization, but the persona series has always been pretty heavy handed.

idk a lot of the praise the persona series gets for its characters just goes to show how far behind video game storytelling still lags compared to, say, the average primetime teen drama

I disagree, but you're right to address the series a whole. Like u said, it's weird that P4 is continually singled out for this.

I knew before even clicking this was gonna be JoJo's, pretty excited for it
"Why Persona 4 is a bad shallow game" will return after a brief commercial break. Next up "Hey it's Tuesday Persona 5 Famitsu hopes" and shortly thereafter "Everyone suggest Dantis TV shows and anime he doesn't like."

A new season of "Persona 4 Arena is a horrible game" and "Persona 1 & 2 are so tr00" will premiere later today.

And now on to Trigger live on the scene with the weather.
brb harassing my cable provider over why the hell I don't have this channel

Trigger

"Why Persona 4 is a bad shallow game" will return after a brief commercial break. Next up "Hey it's Tuesday Persona 5 Famitsu hopes" and shortly thereafter "Everyone suggest Dantis TV shows and anime he doesn't like."

A new season of "Persona 4 Arena is a horrible game" and "Persona 1 & 2 are so tr00" will premiere later today.

abH8W.gif

Perfection.

Lunar15

This isn't saying a whole lot, but I found more depth in persona than I have in the average adult targeted prime-time TV show. Go watch the later seasons of Dexter and tell me that Persona games aren't better written. Hell, most games have better writing than the final seasons of Dexter.

There's so much bad writing in TV and Film. People complain about the writing in video games, but I often find it way better than most of the shlock out there. You'll just see far too many stories where they totally forgot to give motivations to a character, or the writing betrays the themes. There's definitely great stuff out there, but over 50% of the offerings are just poorly written. Of course, I don't think games have hit the true highs that either of those mediums have, but I can definitely say that I've enjoyed the writing in some games far more than I have in many movies and shows.

Meia

Dexter is a pretty low bar to set, lol.

Dexter used to be so good. Then the last few seasons, leading to dat finale...

Oooooooooooh, he's a lumberjack he's ok!

/hangself

But then I go back to watching Doctor Who, and smile. Nice seeing good TV exist as well as games, it's just they're not the norm. :(

Squire

Banned
This isn't saying a whole lot, but I found more depth in persona than I have in the average adult targeted prime-time TV show. Go watch the later seasons of Dexter and tell me that Persona games aren't better written. Hell, most games have better writing than the final seasons of Dexter.

There's so much bad writing in TV and Film. People complain about the writing in video games, but I often find it way better than most of the shlock out there. Of course, I don't think games have hit the true highs that either of those mediums have, but I can definitely say that I've enjoyed the writing in some games far more than I have in many movies and shows.

Agreed.

In general when I hear criticism of games writing I feel like people are thinking of classic prose or something and that's not really fair. There's plenty of schlock that's out there in TV and film and a LOT of it is below games that are better written than people give them credit for.

Lunar15

Dexter is a pretty low bar to set, lol.

But that's my point: game stories are often thrown in this weird ghetto "below" film and TV. It's true, stories in most games don't match say, The Godfather or Breaking Bad in terms of writing, but I've found that most games actually hit the baseline of what constitutes "a decent story", unlike so many other films and shows out there.

Levito

Banned
the persona series has always been pretty heavy handed

Actual footage of Persona 5's scriptwriting process.

I agree for videogames as a whole to a degree, but not specifically the Persona series. A lot of people's expectations when it comes to videogames are ridiculously low, I agree. For example: Heavy Rain is a story so terribly written that it would've been laughed out of any film festival were it a movie, but because most people pay no attention to the story or plot in a videogame--people were taken aback when the game forced it on them, and thought it had had actual depth to it.

However, something can be well written--but also have blatant heavy handed symbolism/metaphors/tropes or what have you. It's all about presentation, how the strengths of the specific medium are utilized.

Take LOST for example, it's a show that had a lot of excellent well rounded characters--but the overarching plot literally in the end was "light vs. Dark"--No really: It was a guy in white clothes vs. a guy in black clothes. That overarching plot was pretty silly--that does not however diminish the strengths of the writing as a whole however. A weak point? Of course, but that doesn't mean the show(or rather popular TV drama's) suddenly has less merit when compared to literature or movies. A medium isn't dragged down entirely cause of some of it's weaker elements represented. The heavy handedness you mention in present and permeates every medium, it's not really more emphasized in gaming really.

For the interactive medium, I believe Persona does an excellent job in presenting it's character's. The Social links and specifically how you get to know the characters is done in a way that is something that's really not possible in a completely linear form of storytelling like say film or literature. There's a good layer of depth to everyone, you can describe every character soley on their personality beyond the character trope aspects utilized in certain characters.

Presentation is key to every story, it really doesn't matter if something is cliche or retreads tried and true narrative hooks. No Country for Old Men's plot is literally: "A hitman chases a dude that found some money"(something that's been done a billion times), yet how the actual story and journey of the characters is told to the audience that makes it incredible.

Necrovex

Dexter used to be so good. Then the last few seasons, leading to dat finale...

Oooooooooooh, he's a lumberjack he's ok!

/hangself

But then I go back to watching Doctor Who, and smile. Nice seeing good TV exist as well as games, it's just they're not the norm. :(

Which has the better writing, Dexter or Final Fantasy XIII?

Moms are tough vs. lumber jack!

Dantis, it's that time of the week, watch Perfect Blue. You've probably seen Black Swan; Perfect Blue is that but far better.

Marche90

Holy shit, best post I've seen in ages.

Squire

Banned

Dantis, it's that time of the week, watch Perfect Blue. You've probably seen Black Swan; Perfect Blue is that but far better.

Ooh, Wikipedia says that movie is Hitchcock-esque. Sounds awesome.

Black Swan is Aronofsky's top film.

Meia

Honestly, considering Dexter made me feel like a sucker for watching it all the way, I'll go with that. That final episode was nothing but one curb stomp to fans after another, and then a nonsensical ending thrown in. I mean, I loved LOST until the finale which made me kind of never want to watch it again, but it wasn't the bad feelings of Dexter by any stretch.

Then again I had heard that one of the big writers left the show after season 4, explaining oh so damn much. :\

Dexter starts out good. Final Fantasy XIII starts out with "Moms are tough"

Enough said.

Yeah but at least XIII ends somewhat normally rather than Dexter being like "Hey guys I'm live like my beard"

Fake Edit: okay just remembered XIII-2 and 3 existed so I stand corrected

Lunar15

I will say, as an addendum to the previous discussion, that the actual plot writing in Persona 3 and 4 leave a lot to be desired. Character writing = great, plot writing = ehhhhhh.

I think that's where game writing falls apart the most, it's difficult to keep up an engaging plot so consistently over a long period of time.

Lunar15

Goddamnit, I still need to see the Wrestler. I loved Black Swan, and I love Aronofsky on the whole, so the fact that I haven't seen it is just kind of sad.

I think that's why P2 gets so talked up, good story, great characters, consistent pacing. I hope P5 can rectify the plot and pacing issues. P4 was a step in the right direction pacing wise, but the plot left a bit to be desired.
Not talked up by me btw, I stay neutral about it.

Squire

Banned
I haven't seen both. Didn't Black Swan win an Oscar or something?

Yes, Best Actress - Natalie Portman

I think that's why P2 gets so talked up, good story, great characters, consistent pacing. I hope P5 can rectify the plot and pacing issues. P4 was a step in the right direction pacing wise, but the plot left a bit to be desired.

Pfft. Sure. I'm just sayin' man:

P2 - shit ain't exactly Faulkner.

not pugs don't care

Do the final seasons of Dexter involve him getting a magical crystal of truth that he can use to reveal the real serial killer mastermind?

Levito

Banned

mj-laughing.gif

Dantis

To a large extent, I agree with this.

The Social Links in Persona always remind me of Disney's Recess but for teenagers. Make of that what you will.

Correct! I love Aronofsky. The Fountain is probably my favourite film of all time.

Levito

Banned
Do the final seasons of Dexter involve him getting a magical crystal of truth that he can use to reveal the real serial killer mastermind?

Dexter ends with him killing his sister for no reason, driving a boat into a hurricane, and starting a new life as a lumberjack.
(Yes that's what actually happens)

You're about as neutral on the matter as David Cage is neutral on metacritic scores. :p

Rhapsody

Banned

The Social Links in Persona always remind me of Disney's Recess but for teenagers. Make of that what you will.

Not sure how I'll feel when I do Social Links again. lol

I wouldn't say games really lag that far behind TV though. I find them close enough to compare.
I'm kind of surprised at this discussion since usually people talk about how far games are behind literature.

Dantis

That reminds me--Dantis how on earth can you share than sentiment about Persona but also say you liked Heavy Rain? :p

Because I accept the lower bar. There are limitations placed on all media that are inherent to the way we digest it. Books, films and games.

Game narratives are incredibly hard to get right ('Right' being up to the same quality you'd see in a high end film), but I'm okay with that.

Good cartoon.

Great cartoon, actually. I'm sure it would do little for me now, but when I was, say 8 or 9, it blew my mind.

I make the comparison positively.

PK Gaming

Correct! I love Aronofsky. The Fountain is probably my favourite film of all time.
There's only one way to interpret this.

god i fucking love recess

Levito

Banned
Because I accept the lower bar.

That really doesn't make any sense though, Heavy Rain is bad even for storytelling in gaming. It just shoves it's plot in your face the whole time, as Cage did actually wanted to tell that story--There was passion in the project, it still didn't produce anything good though. Whereas most games are written in a way to get you from point a to point b. (IE: most AAA shooters where they create excuses for you to go from one set piece to the next)

Jesus just thinking back to how the characters had literally no personality makes me laugh. David Cage is a father himself, but somehow the relationship and conversations between Ethan and his sons sounds like a bunch of robots talking to eachother.

The only thing I'd say was well done in that game was -some- of the QTE's.

Jintor

That's indisputable.

(really though, I'm sorry--That post I made sounded antagonistic)

Remember when he was was self-absorbed enough to put a digital version of himself in the games' tutorial?

David Cage is the comedic gift that never stops giving.

Personally, I thought that was brilliant.

I really liked Indigo Prophecy right up to the part where it started being nonsense. Which is to say, for about... two hours.

I fucking love two cameras in a game though. Love it when a camera opens up and squeezes the other to the side. I don't remember what the technique is called but I only really remember it from Indigo Prophecy and Hitman: Blood Money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom