• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

Y'know. Yosuke loves "Damn" more than most, especially towards the end. Anyone else notice egregious cursing in Persona?

Uh, no? Especially not when they made a conscious localization decision to never use the word "fuck" and I don't think the word "shit" was even uttered.

Whatever cussing was there felt natural, even when it came to Yosuke's Shadow or creepy raper guy.

Uh, no? Especially not when they made a conscious localization decision to never use the word "fuck" and I don't think the word "shit" was even uttered.

Whatever cussing was there felt natural, even when it came to Yosuke's Shadow or creepy raper guy.

Hrrm, may just be me.
I really just mean Yosuke I guess though .-.

Soriku

They say shit in P4 multiple times...not sure how you missed that.

And did they say in an interview why they don't use fuck in the localizations? Do they even say it in the Japanese version?

Edit: I heard Kanji says fuck in the P4 anime though.

Also I just saw this hilarious (fake) Persona article. The comments make it even funnier.

y82j.jpg

should have saved posting this for Halloween

Daimaou

And did they say in an interview why they don't use fuck in the localizations? Do they even say it in the Japanese version?

Edit: I heard Kanji says fuck in the P4 anime though.

As far as I know, swearing in Japanese isn't really 1 for 1 with English. There are ways to address people that are disrespectful (and thus would more or less translate into something like "bastard"), and "kuso" which means "feces" and can be used as an interjection like "shit" or "dammit."

Maybe someone else knows more, but other than that it's mostly just translators taking liberties based on tone and word form choice. Keep in mind the concept of "swearing" or "bad words" is mostly a western phenomenon stemming from religion and seeing etymologically Germanic words as "barbarous."

FluxWaveZ

It's not that I missed it; it's that I forgot. Now I can just remember the instances of Shadow Yosuke saying it.

I don't know about an interview; all I remember was Nich Maragos posting about that on this forum.

As far as I know, swearing in Japanese isn't really 1 for 1 with English. There are ways to address people that are disrespectful (and thus would more or less translate into something like "bastard"), and "kuso" which means "feces" and can be used as an interjection like "shit" or "dammit."

Interesting. Atlus USA's localization decisions concerning the cussing might be more involved, though, given that they had no problem with it in Catherine. It might be related to the main characters' age.

FluxWaveZ

Remember the days when hearing something like "Fuck" was considered a big deal in a videogame?

I don't, but I do remember the sudden shift in this generation when "shit" became an acceptable and prevalent word in T-rated games. I remember people—including me—being surprised to hear it being used liberally when Mirror's Edge came out.

Meia

It's 'Murica, where language and sex is bad, but violence is a-ok! :D

I like to thank South Park for the push against the "shit" idea. :p

Daimaou

It's not that I missed it; it's that I forgot. Now I can just remember the instances of Shadow Yosuke saying it.

I don't know about an interview; all I remember was Nich Maragos posting about that on this forum.

Interesting. Atlus USA's localization decisions concerning the cussing might be more involved, though, given that they had no problem with it in Catherine. It might be related to the main characters' age.

Shadow Yukiko says it as well, (P4 late game spoilers)
as does Adachi during his creepy raper guy spiel.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

As for Catherine, it's probably just that the tone of the game is more adult, even if they're both technically M rated games.

PK Gaming

True. But cursing is pretty fucking fun.

Y'know. Yosuke loves "Damn" more than most, especially towards the end. Anyone else notice egregious cursing in Persona?
Ulala from Persona 2

Sometimes she'll yell "Don't underestimate me you #$%@ing bastards!" When entering a battle. There's a funny scene in Eriko's path where she goes completely nuts and fills the screen with curses.

In fact, Persona 2:EP has a surprising amount of swearing (Baofu & Tatsuya Sudou both say F**k as well).

Daimaou

Ulala from Persona 2

Sometimes she'll yell "Don't underestimate me you #$%@ing bastards!" When entering a battle. There's a funny scene in Eriko's path where she goes completely nuts and fills the screen with curses.

In fact, Persona 2:EP has a surprising amount of swearing (Baofu & Tatsuya Sudou both say F**k as well).

It's also rated T, funnily enough.

Marche90

There are times when I wonder: "How did this made it past the censors with this rating?"

Rating games is an odd thing.

Oh, and a heads-up: I'm back in the game (almost literally). Got another PS3. This time's new, so I dobut that the thing that happened last time will happen again, and even if it does, well, warranty comes in handy.

Caladrius

There are times when I wonder: "How did this made it past the censors with this rating?"

Rating games is an odd thing.

Oh, and a heads-up: I'm back in the game (almost literally). Got another PS3. This time's new, so I dobut that the thing that happened last time will happen again, and even if it does, well, warranty comes in handy.

These damn rating boards have fucking double standards. If it isn't mass market and the devs mask it to some extent they don't give a shit. Now if you'll excuse me I have to give some blarping crackers from the ooblestarfing vending machine.

Soriku

Shadow Yukiko says it as well, (P4 late game spoilers)
as does Adachi during his creepy raper guy spiel.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Kanji says it (he's the first one who comes to mind), Yosuke, Morooka...even Chie.

Kazzy

I've never played Indigo Prophecy, I'm so lost :(

Also, HEY GUYS! Sorry for my absence lately, I got engaged last Saturday :O

Awesome! It goes without saying, but congratulations!

Also, let me be the first to make the obvious joke about you having maxed your S-link!

Cheska

Wow, congratulations! Good luck and prosperity for the years ahead!

Congratulations.

Wow!!! Congratulations! =D

Better getting engaged than here. It's been a madhouse, I tells ya.

How romantic~

Congrats!

Thank you so much guys!

Yep, I sent you congrats on Twitter!

And no worries. He's probably better than us! :b
What's your twitter handle? I want to make sure I'm following you.

Awesome! It goes without saying, but congratulations!

Also, let me be the first to make the obvious joke about you having maxed your S-link!

LOL I never thought of it like that. SO TRUE!

Necrovex

I was on Gamefaqs in 2007, and people were telling me how fantastic the story was in Indigo Prophecy. I was deceived, and I'll never recover from the pain. /cries

Congrats, Cheska! Good thing you have a Persona 4 avatar rather than a Persona 3 avatar, otherwise your chances of hitting a reverse social link could have been high.

I've never played Indigo Prophecy, I'm so lost :(

Also, HEY GUYS! Sorry for my absence lately, I got engaged last Saturday :O
Congrats on getting engaged!
Sorry to derail the genuine feelgood(ness?) that is going on right now, but I had completely forgot that I had bought yet more silly, silly, things!

I'll open them and post the results.

*Please be Fuuka, please be Fuuka!*

Also, I've added to my P4U collection:

Nice Aigis figure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom