• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

The amount that this news has blown up is ridiculous....

I agree. Let's never mind the fact that there will probably be a lot of 720p PS4 games as well.

I dunno, the whole schadenfreude is silly at this point. Yeah, Microsoft hasn't done a great job, but at this point it's childish "console warz" all over again.

Meia

It is, but I can see how it's slightly worrying. You have one console maker who spent a LOT of money to make sure every DLC that came out for a franchise is a timed exclusive. Then when the new consoles come out, you find out that the same console maker will have a version of the game that's not as impressive graphically as the competition. You know it's probably not a matter of "not paying enough" moreso it's "couldn't get it done in time." That's a scary prospect for a company that's just about to have a new console coming out. :p

Graphics are silly, yes, but anytime there's blood in the water, people love swarming...

Levito

Banned
The amount that this news has blown up is ridiculous....

It's hilariously overblown, but in a way I can also understand it. I mean, we're supposed to be moving on to another console generation, and the somehow they're struggling with a 1080p resolution?

It's surely just cause the hardware is new, but still--It's funny.

Caladrius

I've never been a big Xbox fan, but it's getting just plain annoying right now. It's getting to the point that I feel like just avoiding the Gaming section all together.

It's a brain carcinogen I tells ya. I only look at it for headlines and head right the fuck to subscriptions.

EMT0

Banned
I've never been a big Xbox fan, but it's getting just plain annoying right now. It's getting to the point that I feel like just avoiding the Gaming section all together.

I'll give you that the issues atm in Gaming side(COD resolutions) are annoying, but MS got what they deserved with their previous issues.

kewlmyc

I'll give you that the issues atm in Gaming side(COD resolutions) are annoying, but MS got what they deserved with their previous issues.

I agree. The "always on" bullshit was awful and they deserved all the flack that they got. But freaking out about framerate and resolution for games of a brand new system is stupid. I doubt most of the companies have had the hardware for more than a year, of course things aren't going to be perfect.

EMT0

Banned
I agree. The "always on" bullshit was awful and they deserved all the flack that they got. But freaking out about framerate and resolution for games of a brand new system is stupid. I doubt most of the companies have had the hardware for more than a year, of course things aren't going to be perfect.

I think the outrage is more because things....don't really improve that much, resolution-wise over the course of a generation. Probably why people are flipping out, they're convinced it'll be a trend(and I don't necessarily think they're wrong about it being a trend). Personally, I'd be happy with 900p on a console.

<---- Is a PC gamer.

Tamanon

Banned
I think my disappointment is that Ghosts isn't a graphically impressive game to begin with. There should be no excuse for not hitting it as sharp as possible on the newer machines. But c'est la vie. There are no winners in a system waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar.

Meia

I'm shocked people expected more out of Ghosts, graphically. The second I heard it was still on current gen systems, the idea of it looking next gen went out the window.

Thinking logically about it, how many of each new system will be out by the time it comes out? Now how much of those are going to buy Ghosts? Is it worth sac'ing major money by not having it on old gen consoles?

Hell, it could have been interesting if it wasn't just to see if the brand itself could push console sales in a major way, but it just wasn't a realistic possibility.

Sophia

I honestly didn't expect anything on Ghosts, especially considering on the PS4 its competing with the much superior Killzone in both single and multiplayer.

Also, Persona 5 should be on the PS4 and run at 1080p/60fps! :|

Full on Guilty Gear Xrd style cel-shading at 1080p/60fps on the PS4. Catherine style cutscenes. Believe. >.>;

Guilty Gear can do it so can Persona 5. Especially since being an RPG you don't have to be so timing critical as with a fighter, leaving lots of "maneuvering space" so to speak.

It all depends on the budget and effort Atlus will put into the game.

Squire

Banned
I dunno, something about Xrd's cel-shading seems kind of... Too clean? Catherine-style cutscenes would be pretty awesome though, for sure.

Xrd and CC2's Naruto games are using cel-shading to achieve the ultimate goal the style was established for - these games literally look like cartoons.

Dantis

I think it will look more like Catherine than Xrd. Catherine's style was actually really, really close to Soejima's stuff.

Unless it's on 3DS, in which case it will look more like P4.

*cough*

Levito

Banned
Full on Guilty Gear Xrd style cel-shading at 1080p/60fps on the PS4. Catherine style cutscenes. Believe. >.>;

EKdJf.gif

Dantis

But seriously, it will look like shit.

Every 3DS game I see amazes me with its ugliness. Bravely Default looks like a wonderful game, for example, but the characters are absolute garbage. Which is made worse because of the great designs.

Then people say that 3D Land proves that 3DS can do great graphics and my face melts because it's all stylised and technically not at all impressive and nsanfoinfsfae.

Every 3DS game I see amazes me with its ugliness. Bravely Default looks like a wonderful game, for example, but the characters are absolute garbage. Which is made worse because of the great designs.

Then people say that 3D Land proves that 3DS can do great graphics and my face melts because it's all stylised and technically not at all impressive and nsanfoinfsfae.

I'm sorry, but in no universe does Kid Icarus: Uprising look like garbage. That game is beautiful in just about every regard.

Sophia

You are on a roll today, Dantis.

Kingdon Hearts 3D looked beautiful, so did Ace Combat Legacy.

Levito

Banned

Now you know what it's like to be a PC gamer all-the-time.

Jokes aside, Kid Icarus looks pretty great on 3DS--not Killzone Mercenary on Vita great, but still good stuff.

Persona 5 sure as hell wont be a game that's going to be pushing GPU's no matter what system it's on.

Squire

Banned
Here's a thought: Xrd is going to be on PS4 and PS3. What if Ultimax is as well? I don't think it's too crazy a notion since Atlus agreed to SMT X FE, put P4G on Vita, and ASW is obviously equipped for such a task.

Sophia

When I first got mine at launch, I was like "WOW! Imagine how games will look a year from now!"

And then two years later they look no better whatsoever, and everything is still sub-PS2.

For an artist, you have amazingly bad eyes. Or an amazingly bad memory. I think you need to relook at what launch titles look like and compare them with Kid Icarus and Monster Hunter 4. :p

I can't believe Nocturne and DDS looks better than SMT IV, or at least the character models do. Or maybe it's the art? Either way it just doesn't look as good as the PS2 SMTs, which is just ridiculous.

Dantis

Persona 5 sure as hell wont be a game that's going to be pushing GPU's no matter what system it's on.

Well this is the thing: This scales.

So if P5 is on PS3, it will be a mid-tier PS3 game graphically.

But then, the same applies to 3DS. If it's on 3DS, it will still be mid-tier, just like P3P was on PSP (And that's probably being generous).

If it's on 3DS it will look like garbage, and that's really the point I'm making.

For an artist, you have amazingly bad eyes. Or an amazingly bad memory. I think you need to relook at what launch titles look like and compare them with Kid Icarus and Monster Hunter 4. :p

Lol.

kewlmyc

So edgy, I think I need a bandage.

1Aq39FP.gif

But then, the same applies to 3DS. If it's on 3DS, it will still be mid-tier, just like P3P was on PSP (And that's probably being generous).

If it's on 3DS it will look like garbage, and that's really the point I'm making.

Lol.

:lol

Sophia

I can't believe Nocturne and DDS looks better than SMT IV, or at least the character models do. Or maybe it's the art? Either way it just doesn't look as good as the PS2 SMTs, which is just ridiculous.

The field gameplay in Shin Megami Tensei IV is pretty good looking, actually. There's a lot more detail to the environments than there are in Shin Megami Tensei 3.

shin-megami-tensei-4-unclean.jpg

shin-megami-tensei-nocturne.jpg

I'm not going to judge the battle gameplay or cutscenes, as that's obviously a design choice and would be silly to compare.

That said, Nocturne does have some spectacular looking areas here and there. The art style carries it well, hence why so many people remember it looking better than it actually did.

Levito

Banned

Ah, I get what you're saying--It's like how The Last Of Us looks like a low tier PC game. Such bad jaggies, low res textures, and bad sub 30FPS framerate. Shoulda waited for PS4 naughty dog.

My snrk level is currently over a million.

The field gameplay in Shin Megami Tensei IV is pretty good looking, actually. There's a lot more detail to the environments than there are in Shin Megami Tensei 3.

shin-megami-tensei-4-unclean.jpg

shin-megami-tensei-nocturne.jpg

I'm not going to judge the battle gameplay or cutscenes, as that's obviously a design choice and would be silly to compare.
Yeah the environments are alright in SMT IV but I can't stand the character models, they just don't look good to me all(I think it's the art). I definitely think that Nocturne looks better in motion on my CRT though.

edit:I think 3DS ultra shitty screen makes games look a lot worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom