• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caladrius

If we're doing the Persona 1/3/4 route for main characters again in Persona 5, I want customization like how Pokemon X/Y do it. D:

As Twitter and IRC peeps can attest to, I like clothing shopping. Probably end up blowing all my yen on clothing rather than Personas or equipment. >_>;

The original P4 drove me insane with the fixed appearances. When winter came I was holding out for a different getup and just went T_T when I saw the spring getups. For P4G The chance to not look the same for most of the game was admittedly a huge draw.

Meia

If we're doing the Persona 1/3/4 route for main characters again in Persona 5, I want customization like how Pokemon X/Y do it. D:

As Twitter and IRC peeps can attest to, I like clothing shopping. Probably end up blowing all my yen on clothing rather than Personas or equipment. >_>;

Calem is slightly better as a rival than Serena is as a rival, personality wise.

...I didn't even realize that your "rival" in this is the person you didn't pick to play as at the beginning of the story, damn.

And yeah, when it comes to customization female characters have ALWAYS had more options. Figured that out years ago as a World of Warcraft player. Then again, whether or not more options equates to better options is a case by case basis. I remember most armor sets from that game looking way better for example.

And I'm the same way. First time I get to the capital in Pokemon I have like 6k, so I gleefully spend half of my money supply not on more pokeballs, but on a new hairstyle. Still miffed that there's not more options for styles or colors in the salon, but hoping most of them are locked til later(only on 5th gym).

If they do a Resonance of Fate clothing range and selection.........

!!!!

Caladrius

...I didn't even realize that your "rival" in this is the person you didn't pick to play as at the beginning of the story, damn.

And I'm the same way. First time I get to the capital in Pokemon I have like 6k, so I gleefully spend half of my money supply not on more pokeballs, but on a new hairstyle. Still miffed that there's not more options for styles or colors in the salon, but hoping most of them are locked til later(only on 5th gym).

Wait there were rivals? I thought those were Wobuffets stalking me the whole game.

And boys max at 4 haircuts, girls get 8. The fourth Boy's cut makes you look a bit like Sycamore. There's no additional color options.

I sincerely hope they expand the customization options for Z/XZ/YZ/WW/WZ/XX/XY/MR/OS/pingas version. The hair options were very barebones.

Dantis

Love FeMC in the pic, but what in the hell is Narukami wearing? :p
Awesome drawing, really good job on Pikachu as well. The drawing just makes me wish that you could keep one of the pokemon out by your side at all times, no idea why that isn't a thing in the newer one.

Cheers.

I've drawn feet in now (JUST FOR YOU, SHMEEB), will colour it once I get back from work.

Meia

Wait there were rivals? I thought those were Wobuffets stalking me the whole game.

And boys max at 4 haircuts, girls get 8. The fourth Boy's cut makes you look a bit like Sycamore. There's no additional color options.

I sincerely hope they expand the customization options for Z/XZ/XY/XX/XY/MR/OS/pingas version. The hair options were very barebones.

This, plus a NO HAT option would be wonderful. It's almost like they forced the hat due to lack of options. No white//blue hair on my female pokemon character makes me kind of mad though. :(

This kind of reminds me of WoW was with character customization, in that it started off barebones and late, and they were kind of shocked about how hugely popular the feature was. I hope that X/Y's customization is being met with the same fervor about it, cause I really can't go back to "one trainer look FOREVER" in future games now. One of those things that's once the door is opened, you can't close it again, ya know?

I just don't understand how it's so hard for devs to realize that customizing how our avatars actually look like in games is important, especially games with a silent protagonist or ones where you make so many choices that effect things it might as well be you in the story anyway.

Calem is slightly better as a rival than Serena is as a rival, personality wise.
That's... not really saying much. Pokemon characters are kinda meh. I can understand more folk choosing the lady for the customisation options though. I think it was pretty silly that one has more/better options than the other actually. Of course people are gonna think they're missing out if they made the other choice.
Cheers.

I've drawn feet in now (JUST FOR YOU, SHMEEB), will colour it once I get back from work.
Do you think it's made much difference? Feel free to lob a shoe at me if I've wasted your time.

kewlmyc

That's... not really saying much. Pokemon characters are kinda meh. I can understand more folk choosing the lady for the customisation options though. I think it was pretty silly that one has more/better options than the other actually. Of course people are gonna think they're missing out if they made the other choice.

Do you think it's made much difference? Feel free to lob a shoe at me if I've wasted your time.

It's embarrassing really. If you're a guy, I hope you like long sleeve shirts over tee shirts, because that's pretty much all you'll get.

Meia

I don't think it's always important

It's not. In certain situations, I don't get why it's used more.

In modern Persona, for example, picking a sex would be a nice option, though I know why it's not done as it would literally almost double the game. I wouldn't even say picking what the protag looks like is that important either, as them having a defined look is good. I would like costumes to not be relegated to re-release status though for P5. :p

Levito

Banned
Not being able to choose your gender after P3P is really dumb, particularly in Golden--but it'll be a crying shame if they don't include it in P5 either.

^thats cuz in atlus' words, P3 was originally conceived as a dual gender game, where as P4 was always designed as a male protagonist. I feel both approaches are valid but I don't feel like there is anything in p4 that makes it male only

I think it is in the sense that if you're going to allow for customizable avatars, you need to not implement a half-assed system.

True that. Guys get like 5 options and tiles get a ton more in Poke X/Y

Squire

Banned
Not being able to choose your gender after P3P is really dumb, particularly in Golden--but it'll be a crying shame if they don't include it in P5 either.

Absolutely agreed. A huge portion of the fandom appears to be female.

And I definitely see what Atlus is saying. It occurred to me more than once during P4 that the game was catering to the male experience. It wasn't an issue, just something I picked up on.

I still find it really really weird that you weren't able to have female friends in 3, only romance, and the game rewards you for like six timing all the women lol

cjkeats

As mentioned every time this comes up, P4 has story reasons why there couldn't be a female protagonist.

Although some if the fanart for a female version of Yu makes me pretty bummed about it. Although of they did it would be a completely different design, not just lady Yu, it's still cool.

Eh the female mc is still Orpheus. Why can't the female in 4 still be Izanagi. It's not the first time the Persona didn't match the wielder's gender

Levito

Banned
As mentioned every time this comes up, P4 has story reasons why there couldn't be a female protagonist.

What story reasons make this an impossibility? The whole
izanami/izanagi could be refitted in different ways.

I think it's plain and simple a logistics/cost issue with Golden. They're have to re-write large portions of the game, and that's why it probably wasn't done.

What story reasons make this an impossibility?

I think it's plain and simple a logistics/cost issue with Golden. They're have to re-write large portions of the game, and that's why it probably wasn't done.

I think the only legit reason really is that the Atlus team really seemed hellbent on making the investigation team be 4 guys and 4 girls, they changed teddies gender because of this.

Meia

Well, in P4 you'd have to have a different final boss to start with for a female protagonist.

Wasn't the FeMC's base persona still Orpheus, just a female version of it? Given that, not sure why it would matter honestly if it was a female wielding a male Izanagi or a female version of it to keep it working. Could be neat having Izanami being her persona and Izanagi being the main bad guy, but that wouldn't really work given the legend either, especially since you have Edogawa actually telling said legend in September.

Part of me just wonders if they don't go that route because they really don't want any homosexual/lesbian choices in the games, really. How much of Rise's dialogue would have to be redone without flirting over a senpai here and there, for example?

Squire

Banned
Like I said, it's fine. I really do think 4 is justified as it is.

That being said though, for a game that seems to take player agency so seriously (like Pokemon, actually) it's time to start representing the player base in full.

Lunar15

I think the reason they were able to add a female path in P3P but not P4G is probably because it was way easier to add a female protagonist in P3P as there were no cutscenes. They'd have have to re-do all of the cutscenes in P4G to include a female protagonist, whereas in P3P they didn't even have to worry about it. I'm not saying they couldn't have, it's just that because they were actually adding to the presentation instead of taking away like they did P3P, they probably didn't have the time or resources to focus adding an entire female path as well.

Like I said, it's fine. I really do think 4 is justified as it is.

That being said though, for a game that seems to take player agency so seriously (like Pokemon, actually) it's time to start representing the player base in full.

They should take a page from Game Freak and have male and female choices, and the I've you don't pick becomes an npc, like Calem/Serena

Levito

Banned
They should just be like Bioware and let you fuck (almost) ALL OF THE THINGS.

Part of me just wonders if they don't go that route because they really don't want any homosexual/lesbian choices in the games, really. How much of Rise's dialogue would have to be redone without flirting over a senpai here and there, for example?

I really doubt it's that, for the most part I find the series and the teams at Atlus to be fairly inclusive.(despite some problems with representation)

I think you latter statement about major portions of the game having to be redone is the real reason. We have to remember that no one knew how successful the Vita would be--so pouring in a truckload of money on an exclusive probably wasn't worth it.

Meia

Persona 3 Velvet to feature BOTH protags, and the one you don't play as becomes a party member/character and social link.

I'LL TAKE TWENTY.

Lunar15

I'd be pretty shocked if P5 didn't have two protagonists, but we'll see.

My only problem with having multiple protagonists is that it splits up the resources and you risk diluting impact because you have to make sure its tailored for both. I trust Atlus could do it well (as they did in P3P), but personally I'd rather have one protagonist with one extremely dense and well written story. Honestly, I'd be fine if the only path we had was a female. It has nothing to do with gender preference, just fear for lack of focus.

I'm fine with whatever they do though, I pretty much have no internal "rules" that I think Atlus should go by. I trust the team, and I just want them to make something with passion. One problem fans of entertainment have is that when we focus on sequels, we get too specific about what "is" and "isn't" the right thing to do in a series. We often ruin for ourselves what is otherwise perfectly fine content.

It's the ultimate drawback to sequels: each subsequent game carries the weight of an increasing amount of scrutiny and expectation. Add this to the fact that nostalgia skews positive, and it makes sequels have a real tough time getting the benefit of the doubt.

Soriku

What story reasons make this an impossibility? The whole
izanami/izanagi could be refitted in different ways.

IDK about impossibility but I think
Yu, Namatame, and Adachi being all males being observed by a contrasting female antagonist works better.

If they want a female route then they have to be careful with the mythology they're using and how the story proceeds/is set up. They also have to ask if it's worth the cost to create two somewhat distinct sides.

EMT0

Banned
Not that I remember. It was always just the parents, as far as I know.

Think the sibling thing is just a popular fan speculation thing.

I'll be able to confirm for sure soon, since I'm playing P3P. But yeah, sounds like something that'd probably be fanon anyways.

Meia

I'll be able to confirm for sure soon, since I'm playing P3P. But yeah, sounds like something that'd probably be fanon anyways.

I don't think even in the flashback it's ever specifically stated. Think the only "thing" about it is what Ms. Toriumi reads to you when you first meet her in the faculty office.

I just kind of throw it on the "fan speculation" pile alongside Naoto being a relative of Makoto as well. :p

Now done with Chapter Three of Corpse Party, and man I'm somewhat used to losing on purpose just to see what happens, and this game is the first to make me feel horrendous for doing so. @_@

AND starting Chapter Four and Seiko is just a lil odd-ball, isn't she? :p

Is Serena the Moon Princess?

Also:
p-ch isn't p5, it's persona classic hits: hd re-imaginings of p1, innocent sin, and eternal punishment.

Just kidding. p-ch isn't p5, it's persona chronicles, three text adventures set in the persona world. they mostly star that knucles the echidna guy from the new arena game.

Just kidding, p-ch isn't p5, it's Persona: Catherine's Heart, a new Catherine-like title starring the cast of P4 after they've grown up.

Trigger

Now done with Chapter Three of Corpse Party, and man I'm somewhat used to losing on purpose just to see what happens, and this game is the first to make me feel horrendous for doing so. @_@

AND starting Chapter Four and Seiko is just a lil deviant, isn't she? :p

lol, Corpse Party has some of the worst bad ends ever.

Just kidding, p-ch isn't p5, it's Persona: Catherine's Heart, a new Catherine-like title starring the cast of P4 after they've grown up.

Don't play with my heart, Frit-kun. I'd buy this.

Gazoinks

Is Serena the Moon Princess?

Also:
p-ch isn't p5, it's persona classic hits: hd re-imaginings of p1, innocent sin, and eternal punishment.

Just kidding. p-ch isn't p5, it's persona chronicles, three text adventures set in the persona world. they mostly star that knucles the echidna guy from the new arena game.

I would like all of these.

Caladrius

You know what Persona 5 should be? A videogame.

It should be a bullet-hell rhythm game featuring Ellen Page wearing levitating twin pigtails and a Valkyrie Lightning costume, using her chainsaw-bayonet machinegun-guitar to cut up the infinite hordes of fungal shadows, featuring tracks from Simple Plan and Daft Punk.

One day Ellen Page, as Claire Kujikawa, was making waffles while naked in her apartment when suddenly the military bursts into her home and abducts her (but not before letting her get dressed.) When she wakes up she meets general Killgore Fenix, leader of the military's secret Bullet-Boogie Corps. Killgore explains that Claire has "The potential" that has to be awakened by her instructor: Daedalus Carthage, an eccentric French-born military genius who seems to know more about Claire than she would like. Killgore then introduces her to her team of compatriots consisting of; Willem Dafoe as the lovelorn war veteran who lost his wife to the shadow horde.; Nolan North as the snarky Mechanic who got booted out of all the other branches for being too annoying; Amanda Winn Lee as the soft-spoken second-in-command with secret feelings for Claire; and Troy Baker as every other confident male lead he's ever done. Together they have to learn to live with each other and find out both the secrets of the shadows and the mysterious automaton I.G.O.R., or face the annihilation of humanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom