• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
I've never played the Ace Attorney games either. I've got Ghost Trick on the ipad but never really played it. I've played half of a Layton game though!

Played that.

Didn't like it.

You're lying. I don't believe you.

That game is literally impossible to dislike. The writing and gameplay are so impeccably polished that it oozes quality from every iota of its being.

I may be biased 'cause it's one of my Top 5 games ever, but Ghost Trick is an objectively enjoyable game, gorramit :<

guys people in an smt nocturne stream told me that p4 was babbys first smt and that it tries too hard to justify itself as a persona game and that its an awful smt game is this true

Jintor

BYggRu0CMAEGq7p.jpg:large

!!!

Dantis

Amazing. FIGHT JUSTIFIED!

Can't believe you were let down by Cloud Atlas and Last of Us. They're literally two of my favourite things ever. I still go back and read the last few pages of Cloud Atlas every now and again. Incredible stuff.

EDIT: Random question: How do you feel about Clint Mansell's music?

Bet you a set of Arena glasses he rented it and didn't finish it.

First of all: Correct!
Second of all: I still haven't played the copy I bought even once.

Meia

How can one person's handwriting be THAT sexy?! @_@

Ace Attorney games have scratched an itch I didn't know I had. Have been some of the best games I've played in years. 5 is just having my jaw drop every hour or so(finished case 2, which may be one of my favs in the series so far, started case 3). The presentation is so much better in 5, that I would probably kill someone for the older games to be remade in this engine. Franziska's whip with a 3d model would be worth it alone!

Real talk: FFVI is best FF, FFVIII is worst.

I wasted like 10 pokeballs trying to catch Devil Sableye, but it's decently worth it to have a Persona that's immune to physical.

I really need to rework some elemental personas onto my team, the only one I really have right now is Beast Gogoat.

Rhapsody

Banned
FF4-12 were all great to me. Enjoyed all of those. Then... yeah.

Oh, and nope, VI is the best. IX was fun, but now it's like hipster to like IX the most.

Whatever.

Eh, a bad FF game is still better than most games, and I haven't played VII in like ten years so maybe it's better than I remember, but I just recall being so turned off by the story and characters that I didn't enjoy it very much. For me, IX > VII > VI > IV > X > XII > III > V > II > XIII > VIII. I never got around to playing I, XI or any of the direct sequels.

I want 12 International Zodiac Job System HD.

I don't get the hate for 8 but it is p. difficult to actually sit down and play nowadays because
  • the prerendered backgrounds, while being charming and giving off a unique sense of style, are particularly difficult to navigate and there's no minmap
  • holy h*ck the minimap on the world map is totally useless

that being said the Witch's Parade was pretty amazing, stylistically speaking.

Necrovex

Real talk: VI is a tad overrated, and IX is the best FF.

I'll give you that VIII is the worst though, yeesh.

My bro. ;-D

IX was the best. VII and VI are both overrated (but I really liked the latter). X's story is complete rubbish but had solid gameplay. XII was bad, but I am waiting to try the international edition. I blew through VIII in two days. XIII isn't the worst thing in the world and is actually decent.

Time to prepare for the hate train.

Oh, and nope, VI is the best. IX was fun, but now it's like hipster to like IX the most.

I loved VI. Loved loved loved loved loved loved loved loved loved it.

However, I only got around to playing the Advance version of it after getting it hyped up to the heavens and back by my friends and relatives, and when it didn't turn out to be the deity of your choice in game form, I was pretty disappointed.

IX will always hold a special place in my heart because it was the first FF I played to completion, as well as because I tend to favor happy games over balls-to-the-wall dark ones.

Shadow and Sabin are my two favourite party members in the series though, for what it's worth.

Rhapsody

Banned
Ah. And just in case, I was joking about the IX comment. Loved it but only played through it once.
Probably would've replayed it more, but Ragnarok 2 or whatever got in the way of me wanting to making a complete file.

It's about time for me to do another playthrough though.

And I liked 8 mostly for story (even though a lot of people disliked it). Game's so broken that it's easy to breeze through just for story too. lol

Edit: And Advance wasn't too bad. The only problem was the music quality I think.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, it does. As a whole I think IS's plot is probably at its best during the more "mystery" phase
before Joker's identity is revealed.
After that it becomes kind of... wacky.

I don't know, I really enjoy the part where
Professor Ideal lays it all on the table at the Kuzunoha Agency and you're just like wait, W T F!?

Gazoinks

I don't know, I really enjoy the part where
Professor Ideal lays it all on the table at the Kuzunoha Agency and you're just like wait, W T F!?

That's true, I think it's more when
you're chasing Hitler possessed by a Lovecraftian deity into an ancient alien space ship
it becomes a bit silly. Although it's justified by the whole premise of the game, so it's not a huge issue, I just liked the somewhat darker, mysterious tone of the early game.

Also mentioning Ms Ideal just fills me with rage. :p

Squire

Banned
Oh, come now. No matter whether you're a fan of VII or not, it's still a very well-made game that holds up gameplay-wise even today.

Plus it has one of the greatest, most iconic final boss tracks in all of video games.

Nah, I actually think it's incredibly rudimentary by modern standards. It's boring and basic. I respect it for what it was at the time; It's a seminal work, but not one that holds up like RE4 or Mario 64.

Rhapsody

Banned
Nah, I actually think it's incredibly rudimentary by modern standards. It's boring and basic. I respect it for what it was at the time; It's a seminal work, but not one that holds up like RE4 or Mario 64.
I think that's what I liked about it though. Gave that classic RPG feel, just in a 3D world.
Even had the weird quirky stuff like random weird minigames.

Even though Mario 64 and RE4 were pretty ambitious, is it weird that I don't really rank those super high for their series?
I'd rather play REmake and Mario Galaxies while 64 and RE4 I only enjoy mostly by nostalgia.

Squire

Banned
I think that's what I liked about it though. Gave that classic RPG feel, just in a 3D world.
Even had the weird quirky stuff like random weird minigames.

Even though Mario 64 and RE4 were pretty ambitious, is it weird that I don't really rank those super high for their series?
I'd rather play REmake and Mario Galaxies while 64 and RE4 I only enjoy mostly by nostalgia.

Sure. Simplicity isn't necessarily a bad a thing. There's more to my not liking FFVII. It's just not that great, but this is my opinion of course.

I actually love Sunshine to death. I was really just referencing 64 in how seminal it was and I really do think it holds up pretty well, but I'll take Sunshine over that any day. It's the reason I got the GameCube. Love that game.

RE4 basically set the standard for the third-person shooter as we came to know it this generation, but yeah, I do think it's still a masterpiece and better than most games. Great mechanics, perfect pacing, wonderful art direction, a story that is actually good because it knows how silly it all is. Yeah.

It's cool if you're not that taken with it though. REmake rocks hard.

When was the last time you played it? A bunch of my buddies and I did a runthrough of the entire game early last year and we all agreed that it held up pretty darn well for a game that's 16 years old.

Also, it's not really fair to compare it to Resi 4 and Mario 64 as both of those have had re-releases and ports that tweaked and corrected anything wrong with them. FFVII's only had a Steam port which received nothing in the way of graphical or gameplay improvements.

If FFVII ever gets an HD port on the PS3/4, I'm quite sure you'd be singing a different tune ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom