• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You couldn't be anymore wrong if you woke up on the wrong side of the bed in the wrong side of town.

It's not like I said it was a bad game or anything, just that I don't like it as much as most people do. I think this board's overuse of the term "overrated" has warped the word into a sort of objective attacking term meant to dismiss a game altogether instead of a matter of opinion.

Plus people treating it like it has absolutely no faults whatsoever aren't helping to change that view at all :V

Squire

Banned
When was the last time you played it? A bunch of my buddies and I did a runthrough of the entire game early last year and we all agreed that it held up pretty darn well for a game that's 16 years old.

Also, it's not really fair to compare it to Resi 4 and Mario 64 as both of those have had re-releases and ports that tweaked and corrected anything wrong with them. FFVII's only had a Steam port which received nothing in the way of graphical or gameplay improvements.

If FFVII ever gets an HD port on the PS3/4, I'm quite sure you'd be singing a different tune ;P

I played VII again when it went up on PSN a couple years ago.

The re-releases for 64 and RE4 didn't change the games much, if at all. Especially the latter. Besides I'm discussing core design, which minor tweaks wouldn't alter.

If they did re-release FFVII, I imagine they wouldn't add any more depth to the materia system or change the gameplay at all. They're not touching FFX or X-2's gameplay in the slightest and while I love the former down to the very depths of my soul, lord knows there's stuff in FFX that can and should be fixed. FFVII is much more worshipped. If they won't touch X, they won't touch VII, so I don't think I'll get the chance to change my tune. :p

But like I said: core design. They'd need to re-do that system entirely to sell me on it.

I played VII again when it went up on PSN a couple years ago.

The re-releases for 64 and RE4 didn't change the games much, if at all. Especially the latter. Besides I'm discussing core design, which minor tweaks wouldn't alter.

If they did re-release FFVII, I imagine they wouldn't add any more depth to the materia system or change the gameplay at all. They're not touching FFX or X-2's gameplay in the slightest and while I love the former down to the very depths of my soul, lord knows there's stuff in FFX that can and should be fixed. FFVII is much more worshipped. If they won't touch X, they won't touch VII, so I don't think I'll get the chance to change my tune. :p

But like I said: core design. They'd need to re-do that system entirely to sell me on it.

To each his own, I suppose. I guess I just got kind of defensive because it's apparently considered "cool" to hate on FFVII in many corners of the internet, which really grinds my gears for some reason.

I really need to replay RE4 some time too, last time I touched it was back on the Wii in 2007. Do you know how the PSN version is?

Squire

Banned
To each his own, I suppose. I guess I just got kind of defensive because it's apparently considered "cool" to hate on FFVII in many corners of the internet, which really grinds my gears for some reason.

I really need to replay RE4 some time too, last time I touched it was back on the Wii in 2007. Do you know how the PSN version is?

Oh, it's definitely "in" to hate it. Goes for every game these days. If someone can back up why they feel that way though for legitimate reasons, more power to them, I say.

Like, we had a thread and my pal Silky was like, "What JRPGs have themes?" and I used FFX as an example and listed some of the themes throughout it. A couple dudes came with these salty replies saying the story is shitty. That's it. Not even a single, cursory example of how or why, just "FFX's story is shitty, like most games har har!" It's not worth dealing with people like that.

RE4 is great on PSN. That's the version I played last year.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
It's not like I said it was a bad game or anything, just that I don't like it as much as most people do. I think this board's overuse of the term "overrated" has warped the word into a sort of objective attacking term meant to dismiss a game altogether instead of a matter of opinion.

Plus people treating it like it has absolutely no faults whatsoever aren't helping to change that view at all :V

Then say you don't like it as much as others than "overrated" as the term itself has become overrated.

And sure, the game does have it's flaws, after all no game is perfect.

Except Super Metroid.

Lunar15

If you want to know why X's story is horrific, start with the main character, or rather, the not-main character because he really doesn't do anything vital to the plot. Yuna is theoretically the main character but she's not made in a way that the player is supposed to live through her.

Look, I know people have strong feelings for X, so I won't go on being a dick about it. But man, I just personally found all of the characters amazingly off-putting. Everyone was either unlikeable or inconsequential. Even if there were themes, the characters pretty much ruined everything for me.

PK Gaming

Real talk: VI is a tad overrated, and IX is the best FF.

I'll give you that VIII is the worst though, yeesh.
Jesus man, I agree completely. VI is definitely overrated on the internet; maybe not in entry level forums, but on places like GAF and Gamefaqs its still definitely held to this ridiculously high esteem. I can't emphasize how much I love FFIX, it's so good.

So weird how we keep having the same opinions. There's gotta be a divergence somewhere...

Lunar15

Nah, I'm good. I know you can intelligently express why you don't like it though and I respect that.

Fair enough. Keep in mind I was late to the party with X, so perhaps it's one of those "you had to be there" games.

Also, Dantis not liking Ghost Trick is the most Dantis thing.

Squire

Banned
Fair enough. Keep in mind I was late to the party with X, so perhaps it's one of those "you had to be there" games.

Also, Dantis not liking Ghost Trick is the most Dantis thing.

Right? I was gonna post about that, but at this point it's like, "Well, of course."

And he hasn't played AA? Tsk tsk tsk. That's our Dantis! /laugh track

If you want to know why X's story is horrific, start with the main character, or rather, the not-main character because he really doesn't do anything vital to the plot. Yuna is theoretically the main character but she's not made in a way that the player is supposed to live through her.

It isn't unusual to have the point of view character not be the story's protagonist. I mean, maybe for video games, but not in other media. This post should not be misconstrued as endorsement of Tidus's character.

Lunar15

It isn't unusual to have the point of view character not be the story's protagonist. I mean, maybe for video games, but not in other media. This post should not be misconstrued as endorsement of Tidus's character.

This is true, but not what I think FFX was going for. They put a lot of emphasis on Tidus for him to essentially do nothing. Sure, there's plenty of "Watsons" out there, but I feel like Tidus was the main character just because they had to have a spiky haired male protagonist, rather than because they wanted to tell a story from an outsider standpoint.

Either way, this isn't really the main reason I disliked the game. Plenty of games have badly written plots and I still love them. As I said before, it was just the cast. They never clicked for me, so I'm sour on the game. Music was damn good though. Battle system was cool too, but it also never clicked for me. This was more me than the game though.

Levito

Banned
Everyone in PersonaGAF... no in all of SMT fando-NO! All beings that cry out for piece!!

I beg you, Dantis-kun is poised to corrupting the well of Kawaii with negativity forever. We need to end this, to unleash that which he loathes most against him. Yes, THAT.

So I ask you, Persona 1/2 old gaurd--new school Persona 3/4 fans. Come together, and lend me your energy. We have a common foe.

We are the hope of the Universe. The protectors of the uguu~. The light in the darkness. We am truth. NOW WE MUST UNLEASH THE LABRYS BOMB.

bPmr5U8.png

Everyone in PersonaGAF... no in all of SMT fando-NO! All beings that cry out for piece!!

I beg you, Dantis-kun is poised to corrupting the well of Kawaii with negativity forever. We need to end this, to unleash that which he loathes most against him. Yes, THAT.

So I ask you, Persona 1/2 old gaurd--new school Persona 3/4 fans. Come together, and lend me your energy. We have a common foe.

We are the hope of the Universe. The protectors of the uguu~. The light in the darkness. We am truth. NOW WE MUST UNLEASH THE LABRYS BOMB.

bPmr5U8.png

Oh lord this was the moment I was born for...to destroy this resistance movement

DEATH TO THE KAWAII
DEATH TO ANIME
DEATH TO ROBOT GIRLS

LONG LIVE OUR GREAT LEADER HE WHO CREATES. HE WHO OVERSEES HIS CHILDREN. LONG LIVE DANTIS

Lunar15

I actually had forgotten about Ultra Suplex Hold for a while there. I wish we could hear about an international version soon.

I actually had forgotten about Ultra Suplex Hold for a while there. I wish we could hear about an international version soon.

I wish they would show more info on the game, like to what extent are the movesets changed for shadow characters, why the hell Labrys would have two shadow characters, any info/gameplay about Sho at all, etc. etc.

Sophia

.... what the hell happened while I was asleep? I swear you all get even more whacky and off-topic every time I take a nap.

That comes with the console release, which usually happens after it releases in the arcades in Japan. Which means it needs an arcade date beyond "Sometime this year."

I wish they would show more info on the game, like to what extent are the movesets changed for shadow characters, why the hell Labrys would have two shadow characters, any info/gameplay about Sho at all, etc. etc.

Labrys having two Shadow characters is pretty obvious actually.
One of them is her Shadow Self, now with Ariadne as a Reverse Persona. Where as the Shadow Labrys/General Tedide character is the Malevolent Entity.

Your leader has been lying to you this whole time, FOR HE DRAWS PICTURES OF ANIME CATGIRLS!!! WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW!?!

Book of Dantis 3:15: For he takes what was once impure, and raises it up.

You shall not shake my faith, heretic.

Labrys having two Shadow characters is pretty obvious actually.
One of them is her Shadow Self, now with Ariadne as a Reverse Persona. Where as the Shadow Labrys/General Tedide character is the Malevolent Entity.

True enough...
now I want a playable General Teddie

Taruranto

That's true, I think it's more when
you're chasing Hitler possessed by a Lovecraftian deity into an ancient alien space ship
it becomes a bit silly. Although it's justified by the whole premise of the game, so it's not a huge issue, I just liked the somewhat darker, mysterious tone of the early game.

Also mentioning Ms Ideal just fills me with rage. :p

I replayed IS in 2012 and It was quite hilarious with the 2012 "panic" going on all over the Internet.

Dantis

Clint is really great. Did some music for Mass Effect 3, too.

He only did one track, so it was a bit misleading (If typical!) of EA to hype him up so much. I was like "AAAW YEAH, CLINT MANSELL IN MASS EFFECT, GONNA BE GREAT" and then the first major track you hear is by him and you never hear him again until the remix of his only track at the end.

Disappointing. Astounding composer though. I love his stuff.

You seem to dislike my favourite... everythings. I wondered how you felt about Clint Mansell.

EDIT: What the fuck is happening on this page.

DOUBLE EDIT:
Nah, I actually think it's incredibly rudimentary by modern standards. It's boring and basic. I respect it for what it was at the time; It's a seminal work, but not one that holds up like RE4 or Mario 64.

Agree with this very much. Replaying Resi 4 at the moment, and it's surprising how well it holds up, despite its garbage movement.

He only did one track, so it was a bit misleading (If typical!) of EA to hype him up so much. I was like "AAAW YEAH, CLINT MANSELL IN MASS EFFECT, GONNA BE GREAT" and then the first major track you hear is by him and you never hear him again until the remix of his only track at the end.

Mass Effect music is too good! ME2 is my favourite of the three. I love Jimmy Hinsons stuff (Big Giant Cirlces) His album Legacy, which is all the unused content for ME2, is superb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9fD8M54Am0

Jintor

I don't mind him, but I don't know enough of his work to have an informed opinion.

I'm not a good judge of music imho...

Persona 2 is silly? But part of what makes Persona fun is that it's silly. Probably why everyone here is so silly.

DEATH TO THE KAWAII
DEATH TO ANIME
DEATH TO ROBOT GIRLS
Are you saying you wanna put the kibosh on this whole Persona business? 'Cos that seems kinda self-destructive.

Also FF9 and 6 are the best. 5/7/10 are awesomesauce, 8/12/13 are meh and the first four (though I've not played 2) are griiindy. And I mention this 'cos when people were saying P2 is grindy I feared it would be like those games. Luckily it wasn't so P2>FF4.

Caladrius

I honestly don't remember any of Mass Effect's music aside from the Suicide mission and that long-ass credits music from the first game.> _ >

I usually discover video game soundtracks after the fact. I've been more attentive to them in recent years, but I just tend to forget that there's music playing when I'm distracted.

Dantis

I honestly don't remember any of Mass Effect's music aside from the Suicide mission and that long-ass credits music from the first game.> _ >

I usually discover video game soundtracks after the fact. I've been more attentive to them in recent years, but I just tend to forget that there's music playing when I'm distracted.

Faunts! M4 Part 2!

Incredible song. Would never have heard of them if it wasn't for ME.

I love the Galaxy map music,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RO7K4W-c9g

Which is also why I love the song I linked above, it has a similar feel to it.

Meia

The only music I remember from ME were the galaxy map music, and the title screen music on ME1. I mean, I know the series has some great music, but I can't really remember much of it as it was really tied well to the game itself.

Mass Effect was probably my favorite new thing this generation, followed by Assassin's Creed(both had wonderful music). Funny how the last hour soured me on the whole ME thing, while Assassin's Creed 3 kind of killed that series for me too. At least I'll always have the Ezio trilogy: It's surreal playing a series where
your first moment is watching him as a baby be born and the last is watching him take his last breath as an old man with a family.

While I was upset at the core writing of 3(the intro and outro were atrocious), everything else was wonderful. For me, it's up there with any of the space series that have come before from movies, so I hope they right the ship, so to speak. Have extremely little faith in Bioware though, in terms of a meta story.

Caladrius

Faunts! M4 Part 2!

Incredible song. Would never have heard of them if it wasn't for ME.

I liked the song but the unskippable credits just made me keep thinking "WHY AREN'T THEY LETTING ME SAVE SO I CAN START 2!?"

I love the Galaxy map music,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RO7K4W-c9g

Which is also why I love the song I linked above, it has a similar feel to it.

Oh lord why did you do that I won't be able to ge- dun-dun-dun-dun--dundun-dun-DUN--dun-dun-dun-dun--dundun-dun-DUN--dun-dun-dun-dun--dundun-dun-DUN

The only music I remember from ME were the galaxy map music, and the title screen music on ME1. I mean, I know the series has some great music, but I can't really remember much of it as it was really tied well to the game itself.

Mass Effect was probably my favorite new thing this generation, followed by Assassin's Creed(both had wonderful music).

While I was upset at the core writing of 3(the intro and outro were atrocious), everything else was wonderful. For me, it's up there with any of the space series that have come before from movies, so I hope they right the ship, so to speak. Have extremely little faith in Bioware though, in terms of a meta story.

Whatever ME4 turns out to be I hope they do more with the multiplayer. I spent nearly 400 hours on 3's and loved it despite its many, many flaws.

I was thinkin', I remember when playing P4 I thought the social link stuff was strangely fun. I think a big part of it is seeing how the characters react to your dialogue choices. What kind of approach do you guys usually take when answering them? You answer what you think or do you sort of imagine a different personality for the MC and go with that? Anyone act like a jerk on purpose to see the reactions?

I usually go with daft answers when possible or ones I think will get the funniest response. Other than that I usually just go with what I think, which is kinda interesting in that some s.links will grow better than others that way. For example I seemed to get a lot of answers 'wrong' with the temperance link lady but 'right' with Naoto.

Might also be worth mentioning 'cos it was on S.Link FM, that time when Nanako asks about bad people. I usually avoid the 'don't know' or '...' answers 'cos I think they're kinda boring but I was pleasantly surprised when I answered that one 'right'.

Also, I'm definitely with the folks who want a female MC option for P5, but tbh I liked playing as Yu just as much as FeMC. I think as long as the MC is fun to play as those two I'd be cool with just one option again.

I was thinkin', I remember when playing P4 I thought the social link stuff was strangely fun. I think a big part of it is seeing how the characters react to your dialogue choices. What kind of approach do you guys usually take when answering them? You answer what you think or do you sort of imagine a different personality for the MC and go with that? Anyone act like a jerk on purpose to see the reactions?

I usually go with daft answers when possible or ones I think will get the funniest response. Other than that I usually just go with what I think, which is kinda interesting in that some s.links will grow better than others that way. For example I seemed to get a lot of answers 'wrong' with the temperance link lady but 'right' with Naoto.

Might also be worth mentioning 'cos it was on S.Link FM, that time when Nanako asks about bad people. I usually avoid the 'don't know' or '...' answers 'cos I think they're kinda boring but I was pleasantly surprised when I answered that one 'right'.

haha I tried to channel my inner Narukami and answer whatever he would have answered.

The Mass Effect series soundtrack is one of my favorite video game soundtracks of all time along with Persona 4, and the Civilization series. I think the ME3 soundtrack was a real standout to an already remarkable series of soundtracks, "Leaving Earth" and "I Was Lost Without You" are incredible.

Gazoinks

Also, I'm definitely with the folks who want a female MC option for P5, but tbh I liked playing as Yu just as much as FeMC. I think as long as the MC is fun to play as those two I'd be cool with just one option again.

"Running shoes."

I liked how the S.Links in P4 weren't based around making yourself the perfect person who always says what they want to hear, like tends to be the case in games. In Dojima's S.Link, for example, you actually get points for calling him out on stuff, which is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom