• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squire

Banned
I don't mind Teddie once but I just don't want them to out in another "wacky" character like that in P5.

Plus I prefer the SMT stories more anyway.

ATLUS has said it wants to do something different with persona 5 so I wonder what that means.

It means the same thing it does when any other game developer not interested in standing still creatively says it: They want to evolve their game.

Unfortunately I think some people have a tendency to conflate that with some radical departure that drops established elements left and right. That's not what was said, yet that's what's quoted.

There's gonna be S. Links, it's gonna revolve around a high school, and it probably won't have a severely dark tone; you might not like it.

Sophia

Teddie is better than Japanese Teddie and Aigis.

ZXr1SON.png

Inorigo gets it!

Goby

Banned
It means the same thing it does when any other game developer not interested in standing still creatively says it: They want to evolve their game.

Unfortunately I think some people have a tendency to conflate that with some radical departure that drops established elements left and right. That's not what was said, yet that's what's quoted.

There's gonna be S. Links, it's gonna revolve around a high school, and it probably won't have a severely dark tone; you might not like it.

It's gonna have a dark tone

Believe it.

Actually they should have S links be what they are. A sinister way of manipulating emotions to gain more power and to use your "friends" as sacrifices.

Especially since best way to advance then is to just tell the S link people what they want to hear. S links are a sociopathic way of control.

Believe it.

Actually they should have S links be what they are. A sinister way of manipulating emotions to gain more power and to use your "friends" as sacrifices.

Especially since best way to advance then is to just tell the S link people what they want to hear. S links are a sociopathic way of control.

Hrm.

Well then.

That's a way of looking at it.

Squire

Banned

Believe it.

It sounds like you haven't even played P4, since your opinion on S. Links only fits with P3.

What makes you so sure the tone will be bleak? They haven't switched creative leads, so what at all suggests that?

Meia

I prefer japanese Teddie's mannerisms. This probably makes me a bad person, but puns seriously kill me.

And apparently I'm not quite done with VLR as I need to fill in EVERY BOX to see everything. Sheesh, sue me for missing the character bad endings. Was still enough mind blowing stuff.

Figured the Junpei thing out early, maybe before the point where he pulled out the Akane photo I recognized instantly since I beat 999 like a day before. At one point I was going to ask before I started playing exactly when this game takes place in relation to VLR, now I'm happy I didn't. Still don't get the significance of Quark in relation to Junpei though.

Still don't quite get the K thing. Yes, he's a clone so a "spare", but he has his own personality and stuff(him hopping on the lagomorph ride was the highlight of the game for me, best character indeed). I wonder what the ultimate end game is. Groovy, he changes the future, but what happens to their two consciousnesses? Then again, when asked in 999 if Akane was Zero, she said "Not yet". Am I supposed to take away that that's what Sigma becomes?

At any rate, now I need to everything. This game does a platinum trophy right and may be the first I get because of it: You WANT to see everything.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I need some 4 help. Well, explanation more than help. I'm about 10 hours in on Vita (my first Persona game) and I have the general hang of everything but I feel I'm not using the Personas to their fullest. I usually just use the main 4 I have equipped all the time and do decent. I'm not playing like Pokemon or anything and swapping them in and out.

Also I really have no idea what the fusing personas thing is all about. Just fusing a few to make one stronger persona to use? And when you form bonds with friends it just makes their personas better?

I like the game, I just feel I need a persona run down.

Sophia

So I need some 4 help. Well, explanation more than help. I'm about 10 hours in on Vita (my first Persona game) and I have the general hang of everything but I feel I'm not using the Personas to their fullest. I usually just use the main 4 I have equipped all the time and do decent. I'm not playing like Pokemon or anything and swapping them in and out.

Also I really have no idea what the fusing personas thing is all about. Just fusing a few to make one stronger persona to use? And when you form bonds with friends it just makes their personas better?

The point of fusion is to make new Persona with abilities they don't have and can't normally obtain. Each Persona has a set list of abilities they learn as they level up, usually spanning 5-10 levels. By fusing Persona together, they can inherit abilities form other Personae. Likewise, any fused Persona receive a bonus to XP with the correct social link, allowing them to become even more powerful very quickly.

It isn't really like Pokemon and there's little point to try and level each Persona equally. Personas require more XP to level then is worthwhile. Therefore, you should be fusing Persona as often as you need to move on. Generally you'll want 3-5 Personae to cover every aspect of your party.

Meia

I like the game, I just feel I need a persona run down.

Personas take about 1.5x the amount of experience to level than you do(may be more actually, not sure on numbers, but it's significant). As a result, they'll ALWAYS level slower than you will.

Party member's personas are the same as their level, so their stats are equal as well. This doesn't work the same way with the MC. The MC will gain levels, which his HP/SP, as well as what level of persona he can fuse, is effected by. However, the personas he uses are what his stats are based on. A lv50 MC with a lv25 persona will have lv25 stats.

Now keeping the same personas just isn't really realistic, so this is why the social link system exists. When you fuse a new persona, they get a bonus amount of experience, based on what level the social link is. You may also notice that the skills a persona can learn are tied to the levels it gets as well. If you fuse a Magician arcana for example and have a rank of 5 with Yosuke, that persona will immediately get 2-3 levels. At rank 10, it'll get 5-6. You can fuse personas of an even level with you, but there's no restriction for equipping it. If you fuse a lv50 as a lv50 main character, but it gets up to lv55 via the bonus, you can equip it no problem. Additionally, the best skills a persona has usually are locked til last or close to last. The only way to realistically learn them is having a high rank in that arcana.

Other than that, pay attention to the inheritance system with fusing. With this, you can create insanely strong personas with no weaknesses. Almost all of them have them innately, but if you fuse two personas together, one with Null Ice let's say, and put that skill on a persona weak to ice, well it no longer has any weakness. Other things to keep in mind are your Boost and Amp spells(fire boost, fire amp). They increase the damage these spells do, and they stack. You'll never get a persona who naturally has both, but you can eventually fuse one with both if you play your cards right, especially on a persona that gets dyne level spells of that element(highest outside of the special severe versions). It really is a deep system. :)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hmm, gotcha. I guess besides having one persona to heal and then three to attack I don't have much variety. Chie has ice moves and someone else has moves that hit multiple enemies and we all have pound moves but that's the extent of my current strategy. I just sometimes feel as if I'm stumbling through the game a bit not fully understanding why I'm doing certain things.

Sophia

Hmm, gotcha. I guess besides having one persona to heal and then three to attack I don't have much variety. Chie has ice moves and someone else has moves that hit multiple enemies and we all have pound moves but that's the extent of my current strategy. I just sometimes feel as if I'm stumbling through the game a bit not fully understanding why I'm doing certain things.

As you go along, you'll get more party members. Eventually you'll start picking them based upon what Personae your main character has rather then filling in deficiencies in the party.

As a general rule, if your current Persona are working out for you, and they're not significantly (more than 5 levels) behind your protagonist in level, keep going. Otherwise, grab some in shuffle time and play around with fusion.

Meia

It can be a little overbearing at first to jump into the system, but all you really need to do is keep this in mind:

- Make sure the personas you're using are never more than 5 levels below what your party is at, it just makes the game harder.

- Use elements to cover your party members. If you have Chie who uses Ice and Yosuke that uses wind, you should have some on you that use Fire and Lightning.

- You want to try and have one that has a high magic stat and some healing spell(preferably the media versions as they hit everyone). Ideally this persona also doesn't have a weakness the boss of the dungeon exploits.

- Buffs/Debuffs are way more important in SMT/Persona games than in other RPGs. Raising your attack will make you hit something harder, but lowering the enemy's defense will also increase the damage you do. This also works with lowering the enemy's attack while raising your defense, or raising your evasion while lowering their accuracy.

Meia

Please. Waifu wars are literaly the worst thing about Persona threads on any website. Second is P3 vs P4. Third is powerlevel bullshit.

What about the SMT vs Persona wars? Those suck too.

Weird how the thread in general devolved and got locked. First it was a celebration, then it was nice speculation about where it would end up, but then it turned into THAT.

cjkeats

Can't we all get along?
but dont start a waifu thing pls pls no

*pokes head up* Did someone say Waifu wars?.....
Rise is best

Seriously though, that's a nice picture. I like any picture that remembers Maki, much like you and pictures with Maya.

kewlmyc

Weird how the thread in general devolved and got locked. First it was a celebration, then it was nice speculation about where it would end up, but then it turned into THAT.

Those come in 4th place, since there is some legit points made in some of those arguments.

It was inevitabuttle

*pokes head up* Did someone say Waifu wars?.....
Rise is best

Seriously though, that's a nice picture. I like any picture that remembers Maki, much like you and pictures with Maya.

You're good people, keats my man.

I'm pioneering a new martial art called Wai Fu just to bug you guys ;P

Markun

Yeah, you guys should really stop the wife wars or it might get out of hand. I don't wanna see you guys hire lawyers and Suou something like this.

P3-Ikutsuki.jpg

Ohh, I got another one! What kind of cheese does Kei put on his nachos?
Nanjo Cheese!

I hate myself so much right now.

Goby

Banned
It sounds like you haven't even played P4, since your opinion on S. Links only fits with P3.

What makes you so sure the tone will be bleak? They haven't switched creative leads, so what at all suggests that?

Because they did that with Catherine and that's the same team. I mean really only P4 was light out the games made by that team.

And even in P4 social links can be seen that way.

Next social links should be used like that or have way more depth. Right now they are like generic "nice guy" answers and that magically makes everyone love you.

Squire

Banned
Because they did that with Catherine and that's the same team. I mean really only P4 was light out the games made by that team.

And even in P4 social links can be seen that way.

Next social links should be used like that or have way more depth. Right now they are like generic "nice guy" answers and that magically makes everyone love you.

I don't agree with a word you've said, but to each his own.

Uhh they specifically said they want it to be as much of a departure from 3 and 4 as 3 and 4 was to 1 and 2. S Linking and calender progression isn't innate to Persona.

Young Magus

Ya know, Waffles
and the p5 thread got locked?!? Holy crap!!

Also, playing though Nocturne makes me appreciate the new "choose your skills" feature in recent SMTs. It's not that frustrating but the new features are gonna be welcomed in SMTIV.

Speaking of IV, cj seeing you with that avatars makes me think that the SMTIV OT will be up soon-ish. Am I right or what?

Dresden

Wrapped up P3P tonight. I knew what was coming, I knew what would happen, but even then . . . all my feels. What a goddamn great game.

Now to figure out if I have time for Soul Hackers before SMT4 hits.

Squire

Banned
Uhh they specifically said they want it to be as much of a departure from 3 and 4 as 3 and 4 was to 1 and 2. S Linking and calender progression isn't innate to Persona.

If you have a quote for that, link it. I don't remember those being the words, but I do think that's what people are pulling from them based on what they want to happen.

I don't agree with a word you've said, but to each his own.
You don't agree that Persona games generally carry a dark tone? Persona 4 is the only one that carries such a light atmosphere. "Memento Mori" seems to be a big part of Persona's message throughout the games.

If you have a quote for that, link it. I don't remember those being the words, but I do think that's what people are pulling from them based on what they want to happen.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=526104

In the same interview, Hashino stated that the Persona Team wants to challenge more new things in Persona 5 similar to the changes they made from Persona 2 to Persona 3. He also stated that they had solidified Persona 5's themes.

That reads to me that they are willing to make drastic changes and ditch S linking and calendar stuff for something else. It doesn't mean they certainly will, but they aren't going to make it a necessity.

Dantis

One of the biggest mysteries surrounding Persona is what the fuck the lyrics for A Lone Prayer from P1 PSP are.

Live is valid manly?

To me it's always sounded like:

Live this ballad memory,
This feeling set of consciousness,
I'm just lone prayer,

Keep love on the coat rack (co-track? I dunno, this is nonsense whatever the words are),
The hate rains for a gentle storm,
I see fear awaits from there,
The word is all I sent you,

All my body's pain tearing me apart,
(Japanese line?)
Both of my, way of life,
But it won't lead to nowhere,

All my body's pain tearing me apart,
(Japanese line)
My last memories of no-one,
My last memories with life.

Of course, that is quite literally nonsense, so it's probably mostly wrong.

That reads to me that they are willing to make drastic changes and ditch S linking and calendar stuff for something else. It doesn't mean they certainly will, but they aren't going to make it a necessity.

I don't think they'll drop it. Like I've said before, even Catherine had S Links.

Squire

Banned

They're not, Index is.

The games with S. Links are the most popular, best-selling games in the series, with the most merchandising and - after P4 - psudo franchise potential. S. Links and the calendar aren't going anywhere and don't need to. Growth and evolution =/= throwing out gameplay elements the team is consistently hailed for that generally work quite well. It means improving them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom