• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had to bail out from the SMTIV thread(again).

Boy did I hate the fight against
, what happens if I
?!
I've done been bailed on every thread since the Japanese launch; risked going into there during launch as people were talking about avatars and delivery times. Too much "WELL HERE'S THIS THING AND I THINK YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT BLAH BLAH BLAH" mechanics and meta commentary trying to warp opinions every whichaway.

jaxword

Oh god it's awful in there sometimes. It's like people can't understand the concept of no spoilers.

Yeah...it's sort of a weird "I'm not spoiling things, I'm just being clever, you aren't spoiled."

As if the person doing it gets to decide.

There's a weird form of mental masturbation that goes on, where people enjoy parading and hinting their foreknowledge in front of those who don't have it.

Sophia

There's a weird form of mental masturbation that goes on, where people enjoy parading and hinting their foreknowledge in front of those who don't have it.

I can speak from experience here. I like to gossip, so there's some excitement in telling people stuff they may not even know. It's even more agonizing when you've been holding onto it for awhile too.

Also I'm not one for spoilers that doesn't help. >_>;

That said, people should really respect the rules. :p

Meia

Yeah...it's sort of a weird "I'm not spoiling things, I'm just being clever, you aren't spoiled."

Have this all the time. If my friend has seen a show and wants to get me into it, we'll start from the beginning, but then have a running commentary as it's going on FULL of that. To which I'm not much better, doing much the same in return.

I usually avoid OTs completely until a game is finished.

Trigger

Bless the mods
(and the gods?)
that I wasn't spoiled for the Red Wedding.

Omikaru

It's the sacrifice you made for getting Bravely Default this year. I would have rather to get BD this year and The Dark Souls of Persona next year.

"Sacrifice"?

They could, you know, release SMTIV in the summer and then release BD later this year. I don't see why delaying a game that's already finished to a time we don't know is some sort of sacrifice for a game that is coming out later this year and is ostensibly not finished yet.

It sucks. And if I had a choice I'd take SMTIV over Bravely Default.

Dantis

It's the sacrifice you made for getting Bravely Default this year. I would have rather to get BD this year and The Dark Souls of Persona next year.

Not remotely interested in BD. Would much prefer SMT got a 2013 release.

Old (middle-aged) Chie is non-canon.

Get with the times!

This is debatable.

That's quite possibly the most pivotal event in the series so far, but lots more crazy is on the way, so tread carefully in those threads.

I never would have pegged you for a Game of Thrones fan, CJ.

Dantis

So this is today's sketch. It's Narukami dressed as the SMT4 protagonist.

i2jw.png

PK Gaming

Old (middle-aged) Chie is non-canon.

Get with the times!

I've always hated her adaptation of Chie, she sounds way too old to be Chie.

She's like Val from Daria; an adult trying to hang out with a bunch of kids kids.

@Dantis: Gotta say, I really dig that piece of art (I love collecting good Yu art) that outfit looks good on him.

Which reminds me, I want Persona 5 to be filled to the brim with alternate costumes in battle. DLC or not, I don't care!

Meia

Neither are that great honestly. One sounds like a 30 year old woman, the other doesn't have an inside voice.

One sounds older than she should be, the other yells all the time. Which of these befits someone who kicks people in the crotch when they get upset? :p

The delivery in some of the lines of new Chie is bad, but on the whole it's a better performance. Just unfortunate since usually you don't have any badly delivered lines in an Atlus dub. Just have to guess they didn't have as much time as they'd want to have with Golden.

I approve of Samurai Yu. :)

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
One sounds older than she should be, the other yells all the time. Which of these befits someone who kicks people in the crotch when they get upset? :p

The delivery in some of the lines of new Chie is bad, but on the whole it's a better performance. Just unfortunate since usually you don't have any badly delivered lines in an Atlus dub. Just have to guess they didn't have as much time as they'd want to have with Golden.

I approve of Samurai Yu. :)

I think with the time constraints to do all three at the same time caused a little bit of this, to be honest. When we did the interview with Erin, she said she had to do the lines for Golden and Arena in one place then the anime in another. Pretty hectic to do lines for two games and the anime all coming out within months of each other.

Still, her performance in game is much better than the original.

I think both performances have their strengths and weaknesses, but the central problem is that people don't think of new Chie as a new performance, but as a bad impression of the first one. People can accept that James Bond is made by an actor's own performance even though it is the same character; people understand that Roger Moore's Bond isn't a copy or derivative that Connery's. The big difference is that by having a different actor play Bond all the time is that the character's look changes as well, so people more readily accept the change. Chie still looks the same, so people still want her to sound the same, or expect the new voice to imitate the first voice, and not be its own performance.

Same character, just two different interpretations and performances of said character.

Sophia

Is it worth leveling up characters you don't use? Yosuke and Kanji are in their thirties while the rest of my team is 50+

Any party member that's 10+ levels behind your protagonist will level significantly faster, and Kanji becomes a powerhouse later on once you get his social link skills. So yeah, keep them somewhat leveled.

If you're playing Golden, then there's no really weak party member. Everyone brings something to the table.

So this is today's sketch. It's Narukami dressed as the SMT4 protagonist.

Is there an outfit that Narukami can't wear and look good in? I think not.

Good job Dantis!

kewlmyc

Any party member that's 10+ levels behind your protagonist will level significantly faster, and Kanji becomes a powerhouse later on once you get his social link skills. So yeah, keep them somewhat leveled.

If you're playing Golden, then there's no really weak party member. Everyone brings something to the table.

Is there an outfit that Narukami can't wear and look good in? I think not.

Good job Dantis!

A ballerina outfit.

Dantis

Cheers guys! I think it'll be Yukiko dressed as Isabeau tomorrow.

You're doing daily sketches now? Keep that up and you'll improve fast. Question: Do you ever draw from life or use sites like Posemaniacs?

Now there's an idea.

Can't say that I do to be honest. I used to draw from life a little back in the days of university, but that was a couple of years ago now. With my Persona pictures in particular (Doubly for these sketches I guess) I just wing it.

Squire

Banned
John Laurence Hardin (@JohnLHardin)
7/18/13, 2:26 PM
Me this AM: Man, I'm glad today is so normal and uneventful. Unexpected Turn of Events: "NOT SO FAST" Me now:
panic.gif

Susan Arendt (@SusanArendt)
7/18/13, 2:27 PM
@JohnLHardin dude, when are you NOT subject to unexpected turns of events?

John Laurence Hardin (@JohnLHardin)
7/18/13, 2:28 PM
@SusanArendt never, but this one is a Kaiju category 5.

http://storify.com/TaleSpun/conversation-with-johnlhardin-and-susanarendt

Tamanon

Banned
I don't understand that conversation at all, don't know the people or what they're talking about.

I'm guessing that means Persona 5 next Tuesday in Famitsu.

Sophia

There's suppose to be a big update to the Persona 3 movie next week too, according to the movie's official twitter. Hrm...

Squire

Banned
I don't understand that conversation at all, don't know the people or what they're talking about.

I'm guessing that means Persona 5 next Tuesday in Famitsu.

That's John Hardin, PR manager at Atlus. The other person is Susan Arendt, the managing editor for Joystiq. There seems to have been some shake-up in John's schedule.

Sorry for stalking your Twitter, John!

Dantis

HMMMM.

Just saying, it could be bad. Rather than "We're showing P5 next week", it could be "P5 has been cancelled.".

Just saying.

There's suppose to be a big update to the Persona 3 movie next week too, according to the movie's official twitter. Hrm...

I think we're about about due for a real trailer, right? I hope so, at least!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom