• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I'm yet to do a formal introduction, I believe it's time for me to say something about myself.
My first contact with Persona was the first Japanese trailer, it was love at first sight. I was immediately attracted by characters, design, music, gameplay, setting and atmosphere. I remember being particularly impressed by the dual gameplay (school life and social link building during the day, dungeons and fighting at night) and needless to say I was very happy when the English localization was confirmed and imported it on the day of release (I live in Italy).

To this day it remains one of my favorite Ps2 games, its positive impression still lasting.

The things I liked the most about the game were the characters (Aigis and Mitsuru above all), the battle system playing as the MC, the setting and sci-fi undertones of the story, the daily routine (go to school, shopping at the mall, praying at the temple, hang out with SL, walk the dog then study and go to sleep).

It was also my first Atlus RPG. I never played a Shin Megami Tensei (or one of the earlier Personas) before so I remember it being particularly difficult compared to other JRPGs.

Of course it had its share of negatives, including the repetitive dungeon, the dumb ally AI, Yukari Takeba and some not so interesting villians.

Most of those things were luckily corrected in its sequel, Persona 4.
Which amusingly enough didn't attract me at first like P3, so I ended up playing it much later than release.

When at last I started playing I couldn't stop. All the negatives about P3 were gone, the dungeons were not randomly created, they changed backgrounds and music, much more tied to the story, there was no more Yukari and
the search for the culprit was thrilling, even if once I discovered who it was I was a bit disappointed :/

Curiously enough, even if I ended up liking the cast of P4 more than P3 on average, there wasn't anybody I liked as much as Aigis, Mitsuru, Fuuka or Shinji. Everybody was nice or good, but nobody (except maybe Kanji) was GREAT or AMAZING!!
But that's just me :p

A note about the setting, whenever talking about games somebody asks me "In which JRPG town/world would you like to live?" I always reply with Iwatodai or Inaba. Amazing setting for both games.

I still need to play the original Persona trilogy of P1, P2IS and EP... wait... 1+2+2 = 5!! Persona 5 is coming!!! :D

*ahem*

I was saying... I have the PSP versions of P1 and IS and I'm buying EP soon. I'll be playing it in Japanese, helping myself with some guides. If I get stuck I'll definitely come here to ask for your help, ok?

Other than that, outside of Persona I'll just say that I play a lot of games, I'm about to become very busy as I'll move to Japan next week to study the language, I can't wait for Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3 and I think that pineapple pizza is a sacrilege and nobody should eat it.

That's all!

Necrovex

Shoulda put a ring on it.

After talking to her, I am motivated to craft my Persona 3 (or 4, I DUNNO!) MC outfit!

I was sad that Dance Central did not have that song. It would have been perfect to play at that bar.

Video game bars are a thing? I'll have to see if they have any here.

The place we went to was super new, like it opened up a month or two back. After visiting it, I really wish Tampa had a spot like that.

What I found really funny was someone could play all of Heavy Rain at the bar (someone was playing The Last of Us single player last night).

Speaking of feeling old, I'm 24 next Saturday. I'll essentially be an old man!

I didn't know you were seven months older than me. We can be old together!

Meia

That would make you a year older than me Dantis-senpai. You're not old until you're like 30.

Or 33, as is my case.

Sigh, young people today.

So I streamed P1P for CJKeats and MagusKen from the beginning all the way to the start of Deva Yuga yesterday.

1337264391314.jpg

Oh nvm, you like P1. Carry on then.

Game isn't really that bad once you start spamming megidoloans with everyone anyway.

My history is simpler. Played Nocturne as my first SMT game, was ok, wanted more story. Friend recommended Persona 3. Got to around July and stopped as the story was kind of not there and Fes was about to come out, so I carried over stuff to that and plowed through it. Been buying any atlus RPG since.

Or 33, as is my case.

Sigh, young people today.

1337264391314.jpg

Oh nvm, you like P1. Carry on then.

Game isn't really that bad once you start spamming megidoloans with everyone anyway.

My history is simpler. Played Nocturne as my first SMT game, was ok, wanted more story. Friend recommended Persona 3. Got to around July and stopped as the story was kind of not there and Fes was about to come out, so I carried over stuff to that and plowed through it. Been buying any atlus RPG since.

I'm doing it cuz cj is playing p2is and kept getting interested in all the p1 story stuff so I offered to stream it, and somehow ended up playing much longer than I thought I was.

I'm 31 as well, and I also started with P1. It's hard to go back to, and I have issues with the PSP version (like steamrolling over the OST, even though I mostly like Meguro's reworking), but the original release, warts and all, was pretty much my favorite game back in high school.

Honestly, I should post in here more often but I am a lazy-ass Persona fan these days.
And I'm shy.
But hey, new days new thread is a perfect excuse to jump back in.

Also, Ayase is my second favorite P1 character. (Yukino is obviously supreme.)

cj_iwakura

I'm doing it cuz cj is playing p2is and kept getting interested in all the p1 story stuff so I offered to stream it, and somehow ended up playing much longer than I thought I was.

I never saw a post mentioning this! You best do so when the next stream goes up.

I've been meaning to replay Revelations Persona. I assume people here would love to watch me suffer through that on a stream? Yes, I still own a hard copy.

cjkeats

9 hours. Buddha is one hell of a bro. The true endurance run right there.
And speaking of Revelations, I played a little bit or that out after you crashed last night.
That map screen is hilarious and holy crap the localization.

Young Magus

Me, Buddha and CJ all know the Persona 1 story line.

Yup. Agreed. The bigger enemies were especially frustrating.
How could you forgot the Magus ;_;

Edit: Oh s#it we talking about history with SMT?!
Where do I start? Oh yea: I first learned about MegaTen around the time the review and previews for Nocturne, Persona 3, FES, 4 were on G4 and thought "Woah, they look pretty neat". As time passed, I was finally getting into JRPG's and I bought a copy of P3P back when it first came out. Finshed it around last year along with P2: IS and Golden later on. The games I still have to complete are P2:EP, P1, Nocturne, DDS and Raidou.

Astra

You're only as old as you feel. Hell, I'm probably going back to college at 34. :p

I'm doing the same, just at 26 or 27. I have to get some more highschool credits though in biology, chemistry and the like to pursue medicine.
I thought I was too old for it, but my doctor was telling me a friend of his was 30 when he decided to go to med school.

I'll be done by 40!

Squire

Banned
Holy shit, this is the greatest. I need an artist name, stat.

And to catch up on things, I don't think I've ever attempted any romance that's not Rise. Even when I go into games thinking to myself, like, "okay, this is absolutely a Chie run", I just decide to roll with Rise by the time I actually get to that particular bridge.

On a more topical (well, at least more current note) - there's this nice ramen place I live by that I like dropping in on. It's good, if a little expensive, heh.

Artist's name is "werkbau". I posted another one of his pictures in the last thread.

Now you've got me thinking I should just stick with Yukiko.

Also, 30 is still young, guys.

But I'll just be 21 in September, so what do I know? XD

Young Magus

Artist's name is "werkbau". I posted another one of his pictures in the last thread.

Now you've got me thinking I should just stick with Yukiko.

Also, 30 is still young, guys.

21 in the house!!!!1, *reaches for HIGH5*

Ok so I'll be working out of home for a week and when I'm not working i'll be in a hotel. Perfect time to start Persona 3! I got a couple a questions before I buy:

Can I remote play FES on my vita?

Apparently the worst thing about P3P is their cutscenes, how viable is it to youtube the cutscenes in all their FES glory as I play through P3P?

If none of this works out what game can I get worth $10 or less that can give me an experience as awesome as Persona 3/4? (that I can play on my vita)

Dantis

This explains some of your bad opinions. Still a youth!

Ok so I'll be working out of home for a week and when I'm not working i'll be in a hotel. Perfect time to start Persona 3! I got a couple a questions before I buy:

Can I remote play FES on my vita?

Apparently the worst thing about P3P is their cutscenes, how viable is it to youtube the cutscenes in all their FES glory as I play through P3P?

If none of this works out what game can I get worth $10 or less that can give me an experience as awesome as Persona 3/4? (that I can play on my vita)

Unfortunately not.

Technically viable, though watching them on P3P then watching them on your PC would be a bit weird and presumably lose a lot of impact as they use the same voice clips.

And no, you cannot.

This explains some of your bad opinions. Still a youth!

Unfortunately not.

Technically viable, though watching them on P3P then watching them on your PC would be a bit weird and presumably lose a lot of impact as they use the same voice clips.

And no, you cannot.

Could I just pause/skip the P3P cutscenes and watch the FES ones? I found this playlist *spoilers* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SijU9iPw95w&list=PL420F5A1307244373

Are those all of them? It might just be crazy enough to work...

Dantis

Could I just pause/skip the P3P cutscenes and watch the FES ones? I found this playlist *spoilers* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SijU9iPw95w&list=PL420F5A1307244373

Are those all of them? It might just be crazy enough to work...

Oh, you just mean the animated cutscenes? Yeah, that wouldn't be a big deal.

P3P drops the in-engine cutscenes too though (In favour of portraits talking to each other on a 2D background, similar to a VN), which are a significant chunk of the game.

Young Magus

In all honestly, you REALLY don't need to youtube the cutscenes. I played P3P first and I turned out fine. The only thing I would recommend you to youtube alongside the game would be the ending and one other event
in October

Sophia

In all honestly, you REALLY don't need to youtube the cutscenes. I played P3P first and I turned out fine. The only thing I would recommend you to youtube alongside the game would be the ending and one other event
in October

The ending cutscenes are worth watching, as they're badly neutered in P3P. The rest aren't really worth it because they weren't very high quality to begin with.

Persona 3 Ending spoilers:
Dat tower bell when the protagonist walks out of the rubble of Tartarus... gets me every time.

Dantis

What if I told you that you were both wrong :p

This explains your bad opinions too.

I actually don't even know if you disagree with me on things, so this may be redundant.

The ending cutscenes are worth watching, as they're badly neutered in P3P. The rest aren't really worth it because they weren't very high quality to begin with.

I kind of liked how janky they were. To compensate for the bad drawings, they were heavily stylised. I kind of like them more than P4's animated cutscenes. Probably because they're further away from straight forward anime.

Also, hello Shinkansen. Welcome to the thread!

Sophia

I kind of liked how janky they were. To compensate for the bad drawings, they were heavily stylised. I kind of like them more than P4's animated cutscenes. Probably because they're further away from straight forward anime.

They are very poorly animated. So poor, in fact, that the studio who made them didn't even want to be known as they were credited under an alias.

I much prefer the style Madhouse used for P4A's cut-scenes.

8 hours into Persona 4. Just beat Yukiko's Castle. It's a pretty challenging and fun game so far.

Keep at it! It only gets better from there on. :D

This explains your bad opinions too.

I actually don't even know if you disagree with me on things, so this may be redundant.
I'm not even sure if, outside of me preferring Tekken to DOA, we've talked about having different opinions in things actually.

Dantis

They are very poorly animated. So poor, in fact, that the studio who made them didn't even want to be known as they were credited under an alias.

I much prefer the style Madhouse used for P4A's cut-scenes.

It's weird that you'd talk about bad animation, and then praise P4A's barely animated cutscenes. :p

Catherine's cutscenes were the best overall, I'd say. Mostly well drawn and very well animated. I imagine they had a bigger budget than Arena though.

I'm not even sure if, outside of me preferring Tekken to DOA, we've talked about having different opinions in things actually.

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON STUFF, DEADPOOL? PERSONALLY I LIKE SOME STUFF BUT DISLIKE OTHER STUFF.

Also your name made me remember that Deadpool comes out on Friday. I'm gonna rent it, and it's gonna be shit.

Sophia

It's weird that you'd talk about bad animation, and then praise P4A's barely animated cutscenes. :p

With a couple exceptions (Standing in Junes before entering the Midnight Channel, and the openings) P4A's cutscenes are pretty good quality.
Labrys's Past
is very detailed, as is the cutscene when Mitsuru, Aigis, Akihiko
and Naoto
end the Midnight channel.

The real problem is the rampant reuse of cutscenes but that's a problem for P4A's story mode as a whole.

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON STUFF, DEADPOOL? PERSONALLY I LIKE SOME STUFF BUT DISLIKE OTHER STUFF.

Also your name made me remember that Deadpool comes out on Friday. I'm gonna rent it, and it's gonna be shit.

I ALSO DISLIKE SOME STUFF AND LIKE SOME STUFF

as for the Deadpool game, I dunno man. On one hand, High Moon did a great job with Fall of Cybertron. On the other hand, I haven't seen enough gameplay to judge. A demo would be great but this is Activision we're talking about.

The real problem is the rampant reuse of cutscenes but that's a problem for P4A's story mode as a whole.

I swear if P4A's story wouldn't have been as repetitive (christ I don't want to hear the same conversation at Junes about how Yu's back 4 times) and just had one story per group, it'd have been better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom