• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Young Magus

Speaking of Persona 3's ending...

The ending is still a masterpiece.

I know man, one of the few games I played
Let alone FINSHED, that made me cry like a little kid yo

It's weird that you'd talk about bad animation, and then praise P4A's barely animated cutscenes. :p

Catherine's cutscenes were the best overall, I'd say. Mostly well drawn and very well animated. I imagine they had a bigger budget than Arena though.

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON STUFF, DEADPOOL? PERSONALLY I LIKE SOME STUFF BUT DISLIKE OTHER STUFF.

Also your name made me remember that Deadpool comes out on Friday. I'm gonna rent it, and it's gonna be shit.

Catherine's cutscenes were awesome, alongside the whole presentation. See we agree on something Dantis :D!

Dantis

I ALSO DISLIKE SOME STUFF AND LIKE SOME STUFF

as for the Deadpool game, I dunno man. On one hand, High Moon did a great job with Fall of Cybertron. On the other hand, I haven't seen enough gameplay to judge. A demo would be great but this is Activision we're talking about.

I'm pretty sure it's not the Cybertron team, and what we've seen looks jaaaanky Whatever though, we'll find out soon enough! Is it out on Tuesday over there?

Also, I'm playing Tales of Graces f. Oh man. This writing. When I played Last of Us (And earlier in the year when I was replaying the Uncharted games), it made me laugh at how people say that Persona has as good writing and acting as any other game on the market. When I play Graces, it makes me realise how much better Persona's writing is than most other JRPGs.

Squire

Banned
Persona is better than most games, Naughty Dog is just better than Atlus.

For everything but UC3, anyway. That game is a mess.

Deadpool looks like garbage.

Moonlight

Banned
I'm pretty sure it's not the Cybertron team, and what we've seen looks jaaaanky Whatever though, we'll find out soon enough! Is it out on Tuesday over there?

Also, I'm playing Tales of Graces f. Oh man. This writing. When I played Last of Us (And earlier in the year when I was replaying the Uncharted games), it made me laugh at how people say that Persona has as good writing and acting as any other game on the market. When I play Graces, it makes me realise how much better Persona's writing is than most other JRPGs.
It does have as good (far better, even) writing and acting as any other game on the market, though. And I challenge you to find a game that deals with the themes that Persona 3 or 4 (4, more specifically) chooses to tackle as or more effectively as they did.

Persona is not the outlier to the narrative standard, The Last Of Us is.

To be honest I wasn't even sure what the release date was, I haven't seen much advertising for the game lol. But yeah interwebs says it'll release Tuesday here.

Dantis

It does have as good (far better, even) writing and acting as any other game on the market, though. And I challenge you to find a game that deals with the themes that Persona 3 or 4 (4, more specifically) chooses to tackle as or more effectively as they did.

Persona is not the outlier to the narrative standard, The Last Of Us is.

I disagree.

Persona is better than most games, Naughty Dog is just better than Atlus.

For everything but UC3, anyway. That game is a mess.

Deadpool looks like garbage.
I agree with the bolded.

TLOU is the most thoughtful pandemic story told in a video game yet. Full stop.

I think it's the first time where I can just say "It has great writing", rather than "It has great writing by videogame standards.".

Dantis

Dantis, why do you even post here if you hate Persona? ;P

Also, watch Cowboy Bebop. *shakes fist*

I love Persona. I just don't believe that certain aspects of it are objectively the best there is.

I enjoy Persona for what it is. And I enjoy it a lot. Just because I think it has flaws doesn't mean I dislike it.

And no. ;)

Squire

Banned
I think it's the first time where I can just say "It has great writing", rather than "It has great writing by videogame standards.".

Exactly what I thought. You don't need a qualifier for it. I like the way that Ben Kuchera closed his review for it.

This would have made a wonderful book, or a fine movie. I’m happy it’s a game.

Was looking through My Pictures on an old computer and found this:

dQjXRdL.jpg

Moonlight

Banned
I disagree.
Cool, that's called a discussion. Usually you explain yourself or otherwise argue that Persona doesn't meet the current narrative standard in games media when you disagree.

If your argument is 'The Last Of Us did it better', then I'm not sure what discussion there is to be had, though, because you can put The Last Of Us next to a shitload of things and say it 'did it better'.

Doesn't somehow elevate the writing standards of the rest of the industry, and doesn't somehow mean that Persona doesn't exceed those standards.

Dantis

Exactly what I thought. You don't need a qualifier for it. I like the way that Ben Kuchera closed his review for it.

That's an excellent way to phrase it. Man, what a game.

I've been playing the multiplayer. I've gotten a lot better, and I'm really enjoying it. I also recommend that everyone watches the Making Of documentary. It's really good.

Also, Crewnh, your new avatar is boss.

Cool, that's called a discussion. Usually you explain yourself or otherwise argue that Persona doesn't meet the current narrative standard in games media when you disagree.

If your argument is 'The Last Of Us did it better', then I'm not sure what discussion there is to be had, though, because you can put The Last Of Us next to a shitload of things and say it 'did it better'.

Doesn't somehow elevate the writing standards of the rest of the industry, and doesn't somehow mean that Persona doesn't exceed those standards.

I haven't played The Last of Us yet, but to say Persona 3 & 4 don't have just good writing in general is foolish.

Come on SON!!! Watch Cowboy Bebop yo PLS!!

Yeah! Mad Pierrot and the finale are two of the best episodes of television I've ever seen.

Meia

Come on SON!!! Watch Cowboy Bebop yo PLS!!

He's not going to watch a 22 minute OVA, what makes you think he's going to watch a 26 episode series, no matter how good it is? :p

Playing through 3 different games right now: Phoenix Wright: Justice For All, Donkey Kong Country Returns(3DS), and The Last of Us. I could not have picked a different mix of games right now if I planned it this way.

This is getting further and further away from what I actually said, haha!

Well, you said TLoU is the first game to have good writing in general and not just "by video game standards." I'm saying that Persona 3 and 4 had good writing not just "by video game standards" before TLoU did.

Dantis

He's not going to watch a 22 minute OVA, what makes you think he's going to watch a 26 episode series, no matter how good it is? :p

It's worth pointing out that I'm not saying I won't watch something strictly due to principle. If I came across an anime I found interesting I would most likely watch it (I've seen a handful of Ghibli films, for example).

Well, you said TLoU is the first game to have good writing in general and not just "by video game standards." I'm saying that Persona 3 and 4 had good writing not just "by video game standards" before TLoU did.

Oh! My bad. I thought you meant compared to other games.

Compared to other media, no, Persona's dialogue, line-for-line, is not that great.

And that's fine. I enjoy it for it's broader themes and characters. And art. And music. And gameplay.

cj_iwakura

It's worth pointing out that I'm not saying I won't watch something strictly due to principle. If I came across an anime I found interesting I would most likely watch it (I've seen a handful of Ghibli films, for example).

If you only watch one sort of anime, Ghibli's a fine choice.

I really think you'd dig Fate/Zero. It's a very serious story(a bit heavy on the melodrama and dialogue), with lots of double crosses and great fight sequences.

Anyway, how about Megaten Bebop?

Oh! My bad. I thought you meant compared to other games.

Compared to other media, no, Persona's dialogue, line-for-line, is not that great.

And that's fine. I enjoy it for it's broader themes and characters. And art. And music. And gameplay.

Good writing is relative, though. Even without the best dialogue of all time, the Persona series has better-written characters than more than half of all cinema out there. It's kind of like 2001: A Space Odyssey in thay regard. I consider 2001 to be one of the best films of all time, but its dialogue is nothing compared to the complexity of its character. Does that mean it's poorly written? No, it just means that one facet of its writing is better than the others.

Squire

Banned
Yeah, I agree Persona needs that qualifier.

And that's okay. I still think it's on a higher plane than most and really, I'm not sure it's fair to compare it to TLOU. TLOU communicates a lot with no dialogue because the animation is so good.

Like, ND has finally figured out how to do eyes with this game. Ellie's are big and bright and expressive. Joel achieves a lot just in the way he moves.

Persona can't do anything like that, so again, I'm not sure it's fair.

Dantis

If you only watch one sort of anime, Ghibli's a fine choice.

I really think you'd dig Fate/Zero. It's a very serious story(a bit heavy on the melodrama and dialogue), with lots of double crosses and great fight sequences.

Anyway, how about Megaten Bebop?

Indeed. Spirited Away is particularly excellent.

Good writing is relative, though. Even without the best dialogue of all time, the Persona series has better-written characters than more than half of all cinema out there. It's kind of like 2001: A Space Odyssey in thay regard. I consider 2001 to be one of the best films of all time, but its dialogue is nothing compared to the complexity of its character. Does that mean it's poorly written? No, it just means that one facet of its writing is better than the others.

I'll agree that this is valid, even if I don't necessarily agree with it myself. I guess that's one of the advantages of a huge game like this. You can get much more character development in there than a 90 minute film.

Yeah, I agree Persona needs that qualifier.

And that's okay. I still think it's on a higher plane than most and really, I'm not sure it's fair to compare it to TLOU. TLOU communicates a lot with no dialogue because the animation is so good.

Like, ND has finally figured out how to do eyes with this game. Ellie's are big and bright and expressive. Joel achieves a lot just in the way he moves.

Persona can't do anything like that, so again, I'm not sure it's fair.

This is how I see it too. Big budget games can achieve things that are impossible for games like Persona.

It goes both ways though. A lot of what I love about Persona couldn't be in a big budget game.

Squire

Banned
This is how I see it too. Big budget games can achieve things that are impossible for games like Persona.

It goes both ways though. A lot of what I love about Persona couldn't be in a big budget game.

Absolutely. The fact they aren't spending all this money on cutscenes and motion-capture is what lets the games be as long as they are and the character development as drawn out as it is.

Sometimes less really is more. It's why I think it's important to juxtapose P4 and FFXIII. One lost it's way almost entirely and the other doubled down on the stuff that really matters.

Kiki's Delivery Service is my favorite Ghibli film and one of my favorite films in general.

Sophia

I normally tell people to read Fate/Stay Night before reading or watching Fate/Zero.

But in Dantis's case I think he'd enjoy it far better to ignore Fate/Stay Night entirely and just watch Fate/Zero. It seems right up his alley.

jaxword

The funny and sad thing is, you haven't missed anything, there's not much to tell about the characters or story at this point.

Fair enough. Could I get at least a general background as to what's going on up to this point? I'm flying blind and at the moment it's a blank dungeon crawl.

Why did this all start in the first place?

Sounds like you're at the Deva Yuga dungeon. Have fun with that!

Your cast are Mark/Masao, Nanjo, Brown, Eriko, and protagonist, sounds like.

Mark's a laid-back graffiti artist, Nanjo's a stuck up scion of his family's financial group, Brown is a silly prankster, and Eriko's an elegant debutante who specializes, oddly enough, in the occult.

Thanks for this!

What triggered the plot in the first place? What's the protagonist's motivation?

cj_iwakura

What triggered the plot in the first place? What's the protagonist's motivation?

One of the protagonist's friends is hospitalized, and when they go to visit her, something goes awry and their town becomes invaded by demons, and blended with the netherworld.

Squire

Banned
I normally tell people to read Fate/Stay Night before reading or watching Fate/Zero.

But in Dantis's case I think he'd enjoy it far better to ignore Fate/Stay Night entirely and just watch Fate/Zero. It seems right up his alley.

I've been told FSN is to be ignored at this point. "Fate/zero is all you need."

Sophia

The anime is a craptastic adaptation that tries to adopt everything faithfully and fails horribly.

The FSN VN is even worse than the anime, somehow.

Nasu loves his descriptions. Urobuchi Gen writing Fate/Zero with him was really good for both of them.

Trigger

Also are both Persona 2 games worth playing? I don't hear as much about them as 3/4.

I think they are. They're not as popular because they're straight dungeon crawlers. No social linking to be found. The plot is solid and so are the characters. Combat isn't too rough either.

Lunar15

Persona stories? Kinda weird!

Persona dialogue? Fantastic!

Game does what it needs to get its ideas across though, and yes, that is more than like, 80% of games. Comparing stories is difficult, because each uses different motifs, themes, and tropes to convey a message. If you've got to rank stories, rank them on how effective they are at getting their ideas across to the user, and how innovative they are in doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom