• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

Also are both Persona 2 games worth playing? I don't hear as much about them as 3/4.

Absolutely.

On a gameplay level, Persona 2:IS is incredibly flawed (random encounters and pathetically easy difficulty) but it has a rich story, amazing story and great game feel. Persona 2:EP (the sequel) is all that and then some, but we sadly only have access to the PS1 port (which is great, but it could have been much better).

So overall i'd given them a chance. I like the P2 duology about as much / slightly more than P3.

Young Magus

Also are both Persona 2 games worth playing? I don't hear as much about them as 3/4.

HELL YEA SON!!!

Persona 2 games are pretty good and you should pick them up sometime down the horizon. A tat different from 3/4 but still enjoyable and story holds up pretty well.

EDIT:
Just buy the superior version and save yourself ten bucks.
There should be a brief statement in the OT regarding FES psn. Your save data will run the chance of getting deleted!!! If you have a PS2 and want FES, get that. Otherwise get P3P, there is no shame in it

Dantis

I normally tell people to read Fate/Stay Night before reading or watching Fate/Zero.

But in Dantis's case I think he'd enjoy it far better to ignore Fate/Stay Night entirely and just watch Fate/Zero. It seems right up his alley.

Sell it to me!

The things I dislike in anime (Or other shows, but generally only really occur in anime) are things like the over the top fight scenes with crazy high jumps and explosions and lasers and swords and whatnot. Also robots. And that weird nonsense science that a lot of anime seem to have. And a lot of the time, the art styles. And... probably some other things.

I think they are. They're not as popular because they're straight dungeon crawlers. No social linking to be found. The plot is solid and so are the characters. Combat isn't too rough either.

I'll second this. Persona 1 and 2 aren't terrible and aren't overly exceptional. If you're a fan of the series, they're worth a shot.

Lunar15

Cowboy Bebop is none of that stuff, so you're fine. It's just a big homage to John Woo films and American westerns. It's really good stuff, doesn't have a lot of the tropes you're thinking of.

I'd love to get into P2, but I just don't have a PSP.

EDIT: Just so you know, I recommend bebop to all of my friends, even those that don't like anime. ESPECIALLY the ones who don't like anime. Everyone I show it to seems to dig it. It's the the future, but has a really gritty "blade-runner" feel to it.

The things I dislike in anime (Or other shows, but generally only really occur in anime) are things like the over the top fight scenes with crazy high jumps and explosions and lasers and swords and whatnot. Also robots. And that weird nonsense science that a lot of anime seem to have. And a lot of the time, the art styles. And... probably some other things.

What you're describing is joy.

You dislike joy, Dantis.

Sophia

Sell it to me!

There are no robots or weird science, it's pretty much urban fantasy, but there's a lot of fight scenes. It's about seven masters who are fighting over the Holy Grail, and they summon in servants based upon legends to help them fight the battles for them. Only the winning Master/Servant can obtain the grail.

The servants tend to fight slightly over the top, but the fight scenes are insanely detailed. The masters stick to realism (one of the protagonists is a firm gun user and fights using seemingly mundane methods, for example.)

The whole series is on Crunchyroll: You can watch the first episode here.

Squire

Banned
Cowboy Bebop is very grounded.

It's got a very Ghibli-like status in that it's anime, but a large majority of the people like it don't watch anime and thus don't even usually cite CB as such.

Which is interesting to think about when you notice how many people love Persona 4, but don't like JRPGs normally.

Trigger

Also robots.

ZXr1SON.png

Dantis

There are no robots or weird science, it's pretty much urban fantasy, but there's a lot of fight scenes. It's about seven masters who are fighting over the Holy Grail, and they summon in servants based upon legends to help them fight the battles for them. Only the winning Master/Servant can obtain the grail.

The servants tend to fight slightly over the top, but the fight scenes are insanely detailed. The masters stick to realism (one of the protagonists is a firm gun user and fights using seemingly mundane methods, for example.)

The whole series is on Crunchyroll: You can watch the first episode here.

Cowboy Bebop is very grounded.

It's got a very Ghibli-like status in that it's anime, but a large majority of the people like it don't watch anime and thus don't even usually cite CB as such.

Which is interesting to think about when you notice how many people love Persona 4, but don't like JRPGs normally.

You see, now we're getting somewhere.

Maybe I'll give them a look after all.

Marche90

I haven't seen Cowboy Bebop, tbh, but it's always been recommended, so there's that. I've wanted to, but I don't have easy access to it, plus I'm always doing/playing/watching something else, so don't consider that as a detriment to not watch it.

As for Fate/Zero, awesome series, very well animated and not too many dull moments, if any. On my top 5 anime.

Oh, 22 right now, birthday is in august. Seeing as some people here are over 24 I don't feel so old now, haha

Omikaru

You see, now we're getting somewhere.

Maybe I'll give them a look after all.

Something special has just happened in this thread. Let's never forget it.

For what it's worth, Bebop was the first anime I sat down to watch since Pokémon when I was a kid. Totally worth it, and completely blew away any negative expectations I had about watching anime in the process.

Young Magus

Sell it to me!

I'll second this. Persona 1 and 2 aren't terrible and aren't overly exceptional. If you're a fan of the series, they're worth a shot.

The thing about that is.......
Cowboy Bebop has none of that AT ALL, so you'll be good dude. It also has a killer OST, Memorable characters and seller animation. In all honesty, I think you'll enjoy it! The anime for the non-anime fan if you will.

Meia

Doesn't get mentioned enough, but the music in Bebop was freaking amazing as well.

Best thing I have in my "collection" of stuff is the case of the 5th volume signed by Watanabe, Kawamoto, and Kanno I got at an anime convention in 2002.

Sigh, I need to do more cons, that was an awesome experience, even if I almost got trapped in NYC overnight thanks to watching the IY Adult Swim premiere at the Planet Hollywood, lol.

Jintor

Bebop is basically an animated live action show that flickers between a number of genres, generally westerns, HK Blood Operas, and other nefarious things of that ilk

Sophia

Bebop is basically an animated live action show that flickers between a number of genres, generally westerns, HK Blood Operas, and other nefarious things of that ilk

It's a Space Western. One of the finest examples too.

Also, radical (and not too serious) idea from watching Buddha play Persona 1. What if Persona 5 was a first person RPG? Like genuine first person movements with animation worthy of 2013, not "psuedo-1995 dungeon crawler" style?

Jintor

Man... I kinda want to try experimenting with this article on Inaba I just wrote. Try and make a This American Life style radio thing out of it... hmmm...

Meia

It's a Space Western. One of the finest examples too.

Also, radical (and not too serious) idea from watching Buddha play Persona 1. What if Persona 5 was a first person RPG? Like genuine first person movements with animation worthy of 2013, not "psuedo-1995 dungeon crawler" style?

Make the whole thing first person, social links too.

OMG FPW! :O

cjkeats

Etrian Odyssey Untold is going to be one of my games of the year, I can feel it already. It sounds like they took everything I wished EO4 did, and did it.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I can't turn on dark, then my shitty photoshop skills show with my avatar. :|

As you can probably already tell with all the particles... yay.

Samyy

Don't worry, I had to use some online avatar making program to make mine since I dont know anything about any of those types of programs!

Astra

It's the same with mine. You can see a bit of white around the edges.

If you give me the source, I can attempt to fix it for you.

Meia

I've been using the Dark theme, and I hadn't noticed it. But now that you've pointed it out, now I can't help but notice it. Congratulations!

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Meia

I did too, until they changed the site.

If I'm going to go to a radical change already, may as well go all the way with a new color scheme. It just looks so much better with the new site.

Jubern

Just started P4G yesterday, and it made me want to re-read hiimdaisy's comic. Gets me everytime :p
I remember the dub to that thing to be incredible too. I always wondered who voiced Yosuke in that thing because it sounds awfull close to the actual game voice.

Dresden

Etrian Odyssey Untold is going to be one of my games of the year, I can feel it already. It sounds like they took everything I wished EO4 did, and did it.

This feels really shallow, but I was like, yay redhead, and realized they had me right there.

So before it got fixed I take it you had to... Turn off the Dark

muahahahahahha

yes it's a bad joke shut up
Redheads make everything better. It's Mitsuru's best quality. Not the money, intelligence or popularity.
Redhead besthead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom