• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kewlmyc

Soul Eater anime is ruined in the last 5 minutes. Manga is ending next chapter though.

And screw the haters, I like Mass Destruction. The lyrics are pretty bad though.

kewlmyc

Ha, I have ADVENT - One-Winged Angel on my iPod :)

I'm not sure what my favourite boss theme of all time is, since my taste changes on a weekly basis. Gotta give a shout-out to Metal Gear Rising (my current GOTY) though, since it probably has my favourite boss music of the last several years. Seriously, listen to this awesomeness.

Revengence's soundtrack is pretty godly. I like the originals before they added all of the techno stuff though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7_ZTha9uK4

Revengence's soundtrack is pretty godly. I like the originals before they added all of the techno stuff though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7_ZTha9uK4

I used to prefer the original version of that, but the way the singer's voice melds with the music and becomes sort of an instrument of its own in the final version gives it the edge in my mind.

If I were to rank all of the themes, it would probably look something like this:

Hot Wind Blowing > It Has To Be This Way > Red Sun > The Stains of Time > The Only Thing I Know For Real > A Stranger I Remain > Collective Consciousness > Rules of Nature

You're right though; the entire soundtrack is so godly that ranking them is practically meaningless. They all earn their spots on any playlist.

Jintor

A Stranger I Remain > The Only Thing I Know For Real > It Has To Be This Way > I'm My Own Master Now > Hot Wind Blowing > Collective Consciousness > Stains of Time > Red Son

All fucking fantastic though. Especially the dynamic game mixing with the audio layering in and out depending on the fight. Sam's only has vocals when he's holding the sword, for instance, or Mistral's vocals kicking in on her third phase.

TWILT

Banned
I don't like Mass Destruction either.
A Stranger I Remain > The Only Thing I Know For Real > It Has To Be This Way > I'm My Own Master Now > Hot Wind Blowing > Collective Consciousness > Stains of Time > Red Son

All fucking fantastic though. Especially the dynamic game mixing with the audio layering in and out depending on the fight. Sam's only has vocals when he's holding the sword, for instance, or Mistral's vocals kicking in on her third phase.

Good taste. The Only Thing I Know For Real always gets me pumped.

Lunar15

Wow, that is exactly the order of my favorites. Good taste, sir.

In terms of anime, the only manga/anime I follow anymore is One Piece. It got its claws into me long ago and I'm just in it for the long haul now. It has its rough patches, but it always delivers in the end.

In terms of Persona music, the power of meguro's music is that somehow, despite being played thousands of times throughout the course of 80-100 hour games, never get old. Ever. This goes for songs in P3 and in P4. Even Mass Destruction, which was annoying at first, eventually became a song that I just love listening to. Same thing happened with Reach Out to the Truth. There's actually a fair amount of Meguro music that turns me off at first, but then becomes something irresistible. It's an amazing quality.

Just recorded a bunch more episodes with PK, and we managed to fix the sound issue! Hallelujah! Expect those up in the coming days.

EDIT: 1 more day until I can change my avatar. Time flies when you persevere!
#lowblow

Woot! I can't wait. :3

Thanks for all of the constructive criticism. You've earned a guest spot on the show if you ever wish to record with us °˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°

So far, Jintor, CrazyTank940 and Sophia have earned guest spots. Would anyone else be interested in guest-starring for a recording session (potentially multiple episodes)?

PK Gaming

Just recorded a bunch more episodes with PK, and we managed to fix the sound issue! Hallelujah! Expect those up in the coming days.

EDIT: 1 more day until I can change my avatar. Time flies when you persevere!
#lowblow

Yeah it was a ton of fun :]

I can't say that i've 100% improved on all of my faults, but I think i'm getting there. It's getting easier to talk with Scrafty :)

Aww-Yea-Guy.gif

Dantis

Now, next Tuesday, DEFINITELY, Persona 5 reveal.

Guaranteed.

For realsies this time.

In terms of Persona music, the power of meguro's music is that somehow, despite being played thousands of times throughout the course of 80-100 hour games, never get old. Ever. This goes for songs in P3 and in P4. Even Mass Destruction, which was annoying at first, eventually became a song that I just love listening to. Same thing happened with Reach Out to the Truth. There's actually a fair amount of Meguro music that turns me off at first, but then becomes something irresistible. It's an amazing quality.

I think a large part of it is that most of his music uses a more typical song structure than a lot of games soundtracks, and that means that the choruses really hook you. When I think of Fog, the first place my mind goes is to the chorus.

EDIT: Lovefilm are sending me Cowboy Bebop. Huehuehuehuehue.

kurbaan

Banned
So been playing a lot of P4G and this is my first time through and my character is a huge playa. I didnt really expect this coming into this game but somehow I am dating like 4 girls and banging like 5....

kewlmyc

You're in for a treat.

chansub-global-emoticon-ddc6e3a8732cb50f-25x28.png

The whole
Valentine's Day
thing is so overblown, it's ridiculous. "Boohoo, you'll regret cheating on everyone." I didn't regret anything and laughed throughout most of it (the writing is pretty damn bad). Or maybe I just have a shriveled up Grinch heart.

Refyref

The whole
Valentine's Day
thing is so overblown, it's ridiculous. "Boohoo, you'll regret cheating on everyone." I didn't regret anything and laughed throughout most of it (the writing is pretty damn bad). Or maybe I just have a shriveled up Grinch heart.

opwW4PT.png

Jintor

The whole
Valentine's Day

the latter

Dantis

The whole
Valentine's Day

I thought it was just a bit heavy-handed.

Like I've said before, Persona 3 and 4 handled romance in this kind of ambiguous, sweet, understated way. I'd like Persona 5 to go back to that.

kewlmyc

the latter

HCwmYaN.gif

I thought it was just a bit heavy-handed.

Like I've said before, Persona 3 and 4 handled romance in this kind of ambiguous, sweet, understated way. I'd like Persona 5 to go back to that.
I might have actually felt something if any of the girls called you out on it, but they all instantly trust you and forgive you, which kinda took me out of the whole thing. Not to mention that the actual date dialogue was pretty damn cheesy, even by P4 standards.

Nanako's was cute though.

Meia

The Almighty, Fog, andI'll Face Myselfare among the best boss themes of all time in my opinion.

A New World Fool and The Genesis aren't slouches either, though.

The I'll Face Myself boss theme is probably my favorite track in any Persona game ever, if I'm being honest. Battle for Everyone's Souls is like right behind that though, was my favorite from 3.

If there's one thing this series does great, it's boss themes.

And I never had more than one gf in persona 4. It was one of the things that kind of weirded me out in 3 in that you can't friend ANYONE, so was happy to actually have the option in 4. And no, I can't even get through watching that event if you have more than one gf on youtube, just too uncomfortable. :p

Dantis

I might have actually felt something if any of the girls called you out on it, but they all instantly trust you and forgive you, which kinda took me out of the whole thing. Not to mention that the actual date dialogue was pretty damn cheesy, even by P4 standards.

This was my problem. They came across as more pandering than anything else to me.

Though it's my understanding that a lot of people enjoyed them, so I have a feeling we'll just see more of that.

Lunar15

Now, next Tuesday, DEFINITELYI think a large part of it is that most of his music uses a more typical song structure than a lot of games soundtracks, and that means that the choruses really hook you. When I think of Fog, the first place my mind goes is to the chorus.

I can see this. It's funny, when you mentioned the fog, I also thought of the chorus. Which is why I'm glad they used that part of the song for the finishers in P4A.

Same thing happens with my favorite song, which is The Almighty. There's definitely a solid hook in all of his songs. I think my favorite meguro song at the moment is Hunting - "Betrayal" and the chorus is absolutely killer. It sticks with you.

PK Gaming

HCwmYaN.gif

Yeah, I really wish they tore into you for being a lying piece of human garbage. Like, the repercussion for cheating on your girlfriend would result in your social link being irrevocably changed to "0" or "broken." That way, the scene could actually live up to the hype ("Get ready to have your heart torn out on Valentines day!")

Dantis

So I sketched this up earlier and I think it looks neat. I'll probably clean it up a little later. Maybe give it a quick colouring, I dunno. It's FeMC dressed as Nina from Breath of Fire 4. I've been getting back into Breath of Fire lately, and 4 is just amazing.

I can see this. It's funny, when you mentioned the fog, I also thought of the chorus. Which is why I'm glad they used that part of the song for the finishers in P4A.

Same thing happens with my favorite song, which is The Almighty. There's definitely a solid hook in all of his songs. I think my favorite meguro song at the moment is Hunting - "Betrayal" and the chorus is absolutely killer. It sticks with you.

Yeah, I love how nearly all of his battle themes have these powerful, high pitched guitar choruses. They really sound great.

Another thing which makes them memorable, I think, is that he uses instruments like vocalists. A lot of the melodies sound like they should have lyrics, but instead it's a guitar or a piano. Fog is a really great example of this, and Best Friends is an even better one because the original version doesn't have lyrics and then the full version does, and they replace the guitar melody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom