• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT2| Burn My Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Refyref

Or a jinx. One or the other, same difference.

"[13:37:02] <Refyref> Just so you all know, I'm blaming Dantis: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=74004753&postcount=4498"

Not really.

EDIT: BTW, that FeMC/Nina drawing is pretty good, Dantis.

I have to know if that Elizabeth comes with that chair too.
Yes, it does.
FIGURE-001346_05.jpg

Seems that way! I've never ordered from them before, but dang I'm tempted.
Amiami is good place to order from but just note that you can't really cancel except by emailing them.

Dantis

Watched the first two episodes of Bebop.

S'alright.

Art is fine. Writing is passable (Though not even close to something like Firefly). Voice acting is pretty bad. Both episode plots have been neat, if somewhat simplistic. Aside from the acting, it avoids most problems I have with anime.

Not fond of the opening song at all, but it's a perfect fit for the show, I just don't like jazz.

Will watch a few more episodes at some point and see if it grabs me. If not, no harm done.

"[13:37:02] <Refyref> Just so you all know, I'm blaming Dantis: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=74004753&postcount=4498"

Not really.

EDIT: BTW, that FeMC/Nina drawing is pretty good, Dantis.

I have since coloured it. Also thanks!

Sophia

I have since coloured it. Also thanks!

That outfit looks kinda weird on her. She's a warm-toned red-head with eyes red wearing two colors for a cool-toned blonde. That said, it's not entirely unfavorable. And you did a fantastic job as usual on it Dantis!

This also just goes to show how awesomely designed the Gekkoukan High uniform is too; it looks good on almost anyone thanks to using two extremely neutral colors.

However....

Watched the first two episodes of Bebop.....
Voice acting is pretty bad.

Dude.... Run!!!! O_O;

Daimaou

Watched the first two episodes of Bebop.

S'alright.

Art is fine. Writing is passable (Though not even close to something like Firefly). Voice acting is pretty bad. Both episode plots have been neat, if somewhat simplistic. Aside from the acting, it avoids most problems I have with anime.

Not fond of the opening song at all, but it's a perfect fit for the show, I just don't like jazz.

Will watch a few more episodes at some point and see if it grabs me. If not, no harm done.

What. Are you watching dubbed or subbed? If dubbed, I know the bar for voice acting has been raised over the years so it's not the standout that it used to be, but calling it bad is hardly fair.

I haven't seen it subbed, so I can't really comment on the original voices.

Dantis

What. Are you watching dubbed or subbed? If dubbed, I know the bar for voice acting has been raised over the years so it's not the standout that it used to be, but calling it bad is hardly fair.

I haven't seen it subbed, so I can't really comment on the original voices.

Dubbed.

What are you comparing it to? It seems about equivalent to a mid-tier JRPG dub. Which is pretty bad.

And if we compare it to a live action TV show, well... you know.

That outfit looks kinda weird on her. She's a warm-toned red-head with eyes red wearing two colors for a cool-toned blonde. That said, it's not entirely unfavorable. And you did a fantastic job as usual on it Dantis!

This also just goes to show how awesomely designed the Gekkoukan High uniform is too; it looks good on almost anyone thanks to using two extremely neutral colors.

I think it looks neat! COLOUR-AWARE OUTFITS BE DAMNED.

[PSX] Persona (Atlus) {1996.09.20} - 201.147 / 391.556
[PSX] Persona (PlayStation the Best) (Atlus) {1997.06.27} - 10.970 / 17.935
[PSX] Persona 2: Innocent Sin (Atlus) {1999.06.24} - 170.577 / 274.798
[PSX] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (Atlus) {2000.06.29} - 119.484 / 200.103
[PSX] Persona 2: Innocent Sin (PlayStation the Best) (Atlus) {200.09.14} - 3.470 / 3.470
[PS2] Persona 3 (Atlus) {2006.07.13} - 127.472 / 210.319
[PS2] Persona 3 FES (Atlus) {2007.04.19} - 105.099 / 165.471
[PS2] Persona 4 (Atlus) {2008.07.10} - 211.967 / 294.214
[PSP] Persona (Atlus) {2009.04.29} - 95.406 / 156.205
[PSP] Persona 3 Portable (Atlus) {2009.11.01} - 108.343 / 208.877
[PS2] Persona 3 FES (PlayStation 2 the Best) (Atlus) {2010.08.05} - ? / 7.773
[PS2] Persona 4 (PlayStation 2 the Best) (Atlus) {2010.08.05} - ? / 43.981
[PSP] Persona 2: Innocent Sin (Atlus) {2011.04.14} - 62.091 / 102.714
[PSP] Persona 3 Portable (PSP the Best) (Atlus) {2011.08.25} - 5.914 / 39.233
[PSP] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (Atlus) {2012.05.17} - 28.212 / 56.300
[PSV] Persona 4 Golden (Atlus) {2012.06.14} - 152.499 / 242.463
[PS3] Persona 4: Arena (Atlus) {2012.07.26} - 117.318 / 184.997
[360] Persona 4: Arena (Atlus) {2012.07.26} - 9.346 / 9.346

P4G sold a lot more than I thought, if you include western sales I think it is definitely close to 400k(game was in the top downloaded vita games for like 6 months,Vita digital sales are higher than PS3 digital sales, 60% of vita owners buy their games digitally ect.) Will be interesting to see how well P5 does(especially if it's on PS4).

Sophia

I think it looks neat! COLOUR-AWARE OUTFITS BE DAMNED.

It's a pretty neat outfit to begin with, and looks like something befitting of a princess such as Nina. Sadly, the female protagonist is no princess according to her own admission. =P

Daimaou

Dubbed.

What are you comparing it to? It seems about equivalent to a mid-tier JRPG dub. Which is pretty bad.

And if we compare it to a live action TV show, well... you know.

Pretty much any other anime or game dub. It's no longer exceptional, I'll grant you, but it's certainly above average.

Also, comparing voice acting to live action is a bit disingenuous since so much communication is nonverbal, it won't reach parity until performance capture does.

Dantis

It's a pretty neat outfit to begin with, and looks like something befitting of a princess such as Nina. Sadly, the female protagonist is no princess according to her own admission. =P

Winner, haha.

Pretty much any other anime or game dub. It's no longer exceptional, I'll grant you, but it's certainly above average.

Also, comparing voice acting to live action is a bit disingenuous since so much communication is nonverbal, it won't reach parity until performance capture does.

*shrug*

It might be as good as other anime, I couldn't say. But it has that weird thing where people are putting on cartoon voices as opposed to just talking like a person would do. It's also a bit flat, presumably due to the way that anime dubs are recorded.

But when you're comparing it to a show like Firefly (As everybody was doing yesterday), I think it's fair (Certainly to a point) to compare acting between the two, regardless of production values and what have you.

Daimaou

*shrug*

It might be as good as other anime, I couldn't say. But it has that weird thing where people are putting on cartoon voices as opposed to just talking like a person would do. It's also a bit flat, presumably due to the way that anime dubs are recorded.

Exaggerated voices aren't uncommon in anime, and are more of a stylistic thing. None of the ones in Cowboy Bebop that come to mind are particularly egregious -- at least no more so than the ones in P3 or P4. Then again, I don't think I know what your opinion is on the P3/P4 dubs are either.

But when you're comparing it to a show like Firefly (As everybody was doing yesterday), I think it's fair (Certainly to a point) to compare acting between the two, regardless of production values and what have you.

I wasn't one of the ones comparing it to Firefly, since I've never seen the show myself. I think it'd only really be fair if you compared pure audio samples from both for vocal performance, which would be a bit silly.

Lunar15

I think pitting Firefly against Cowboy Bebop is a bad idea. They're pretty different. I think the comparison only really came up because Firefly is a western-sci-fi hybrid with a mix of camp and seriousness. That's about the only connection that can be made. If you dig gritty space, both Firefly and Cowboy Bebop are satisfying.

As for voice acting, I haven't seen it in a while, so I don't know what to say. I do remember it being Blum's best performance, but I have no idea what that would mean to you.

As for not liking Jazz, I'm just confused.

[PSX] Persona (Atlus) {1996.09.20} - 201.147 / 391.556
[PSX] Persona (PlayStation the Best) (Atlus) {1997.06.27} - 10.970 / 17.935
[PSX] Persona 2: Innocent Sin (Atlus) {1999.06.24} - 170.577 / 274.798
[PSX] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (Atlus) {2000.06.29} - 119.484 / 200.103
[PSX] Persona 2: Innocent Sin (PlayStation the Best) (Atlus) {200.09.14} - 3.470 / 3.470
[PS2] Persona 3 (Atlus) {2006.07.13} - 127.472 / 210.319
[PS2] Persona 3 FES (Atlus) {2007.04.19} - 105.099 / 165.471
[PS2] Persona 4 (Atlus) {2008.07.10} - 211.967 / 294.214
[PSP] Persona (Atlus) {2009.04.29} - 95.406 / 156.205
[PSP] Persona 3 Portable (Atlus) {2009.11.01} - 108.343 / 208.877
[PS2] Persona 3 FES (PlayStation 2 the Best) (Atlus) {2010.08.05} - ? / 7.773
[PS2] Persona 4 (PlayStation 2 the Best) (Atlus) {2010.08.05} - ? / 43.981
[PSP] Persona 2: Innocent Sin (Atlus) {2011.04.14} - 62.091 / 102.714
[PSP] Persona 3 Portable (PSP the Best) (Atlus) {2011.08.25} - 5.914 / 39.233
[PSP] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (Atlus) {2012.05.17} - 28.212 / 56.300
[PSV] Persona 4 Golden (Atlus) {2012.06.14} - 152.499 / 242.463
[PS3] Persona 4: Arena (Atlus) {2012.07.26} - 117.318 / 184.997
[360] Persona 4: Arena (Atlus) {2012.07.26} - 9.346 / 9.346

P4G sold a lot more than I thought, if you include western sales I think it is definitely close to 400k(game was in the top downloaded vita games for like 6 months,Vita digital sales are higher than PS3 digital sales, 60% of vita owners buy their games digitally ect.) Will be interesting to see how well P5 does(especially if it's on PS4).

Still can't believe how Eternal Punishment Portable only sold half of what P1P and P2ISP sold...WHY? Did that my crappy little sister can't be this cute happy end PSP game cannibalize all other game sales or something?

Dantis

I think pitting Firefly against Cowboy Bebop is a bad idea. They're pretty different. I think the comparison only really came up because Firefly is a western-sci-fi hybrid with a mix of camp and seriousness. That's about the only connection that can be made. If you dig gritty space, both Firefly and Cowboy Bebop are satisfying.

As for voice acting, I haven't seen it in a while, so I don't know what to say. I do remember it being Blum's best performance, but I have no idea what that would mean to you.

As for not liking Jazz, I'm just confused.

I think that there are definite similarities on a surface level. Outside of the somewhat similar premise, it seems to have a similar structure with each episode being based around a different job.
It's not funny like Firefly is though. I kind of thought it would be.

Still can't believe how Eternal Punishment Portable only sold half of what P1P and P2ISP sold...WHY? Did that my crappy little sister can't be this cute happy end PSP game cannibalize all other game sales or something?

The most important thing to take from this list is that my Arena sales estimate I worked out about a month ago was really close. :p

Meia

Was wondering that too. Is that info just the japanese releases, and if so, is that why they decided to not even bother translating it and bringing it over? Cause that sucks.

After playing through IS PSP, I want EP PSP dammit. ><

I think that there are definite similarities on a surface level. Outside of the somewhat similar premise, it seems to have a similar structure with each episode being based around a different job.

Each episode has it's own vibe to it, so it can be a very different show from episode to episode. One stretch goes from horror to comedy. There's also I think like 7 episodes that have plot that carries over, leading to the last two episodes which end the show.

Don't forget, Bebop is an ensemble show, and you've only seen 2 of the 5 characters.

Sophia

Well, I did warn you it was a bit more sci-fi noir than Firefly. By the nature of that, it includes less humor.

Lunar15

Firefly is classic Whedon quirkiness. Not sure you can find that outside of Whedon's own projects. That being said, there's some funny episodes. I don't remember every episode being a flat out classic, but when there's a solid episode, it's a winner.

Also, yeah, it's a noir/woo film more than it is a western, despite the name.

Daimaou

There are episodes that are more serious and episodes that focus more on humor. It doesn't really try to do both at once.

Was wondering that too. Is that info just the japanese releases, and if so, is that why they decided to not even bother translating it and bringing it over? Cause that sucks.

After playing through IS PSP, I want EP PSP dammit. ><

Maybe the weird difficulty nerfs on an already easy game, Innocent Sin, left the wrong impression on them? ISP on hard is easier than the ps1 IS on it's one difficulty, meanwhile EPP on hard is actually harder than ps1 EP.

Dantis

Maybe the weird difficulty nerfs on an already easy game, Innocent Sin, left the wrong impression on them? ISP on hard is easier than the ps1 IS on it's one difficulty, meanwhile EPP on hard is actually harder than ps1 EP.

I love that you think that was a factor in people not purchasing the game.

Sophia

Firefly is classic Whedon quirkiness. Not sure you can find that outside of Whedon's own projects.

It exists, but it's pretty rare in anime. Almost non-existant I'd say. Japanese people handle sarcasm differently. Imagine Steve Rogers in The Avengers with the "I understood that reference!" and you get the idea of how they see it.

Dantis

It exists, but it's pretty rare in anime. Almost non-existant I'd say. Japanese people handle sarcasm differently. Imagine Steve Rogers in The Avengers with the "I understood that reference!" and you get the idea of how they see it.

The Iron Man films were pretty Whedon-esque, I thought.

The final episode of Bebop is one of the finest episodes of television I've ever seen, so just know that you're missing out on that if you quit early.

Three best episodes:

1. The Real Folk Blues
2. Mad Pierrot
3. Jupiter Jazz

Sophia

The Iron Man films were pretty Whedon-esque, I thought.

No surprises there. Joss Whedon was originally considered to direct the first Iron Man, and many of the same secondary staff worked on both. I think he may have helped with the script too? Not entirely sure.

Meia

The final episode of Bebop is one of the finest episodes of television I've ever seen, so just know that you're missing out on that if you quit early.

Three best episodes:

1. The Real Folk Blues
2. Mad Pierrot
3. Jupiter Jazz

You're gonna carry that weight.

I still am. :(

Just have to say, LOVE Whedon. Was a massive Buffy/Angel fan, but I still haven't seen Firefly. I should probably correct this, but the show being canned makes me think watching it will just make me angry...

Daimaou

Three best episodes:

1. The Real Folk Blues
2. Mad Pierrot
3. Jupiter Jazz

No Cowboy Funk.

Your list is a sham!

Levito

Banned
Cowboy Bebops writing is far sharper than Firefly's, Firefly's whole premise is to be a cliche grinder, so that it has an excuse to use western/scifi cliches. The whole show comes of as dull as other late 90's/early 2000's scifi shows like Stargate SG1.

That and Cowboy Bebop doesn't rely on props from Starship Troopers. ;D

Probably because nobody gives a fuck about Maya.
lol

Lunar15

Cowboy Bebops writing is far sharper than Firefly's, Firefly's whole premise is to be a cliche grinder, so that it has an excuse to use western/scifi cliches. The whole show comes of as dull as other late 90's/early 2000's scifi shows like Stargate SG1.

To be fair, Bebop is also a big homage/cliche fest to westerns, noir, and asian action films.

Anyway, comparing the two probably colors the whole experience in a bad light.

Dantis

If you're referring to the dialogue then you are objectively wrong.

Levito

Banned
To be fair, Bebop is also a big homage/cliche fest to westerns, noir, and asian action films.

Anyway, comparing the two probably colors the whole experience in a bad light.

It true, Bebop does with some class and character though, Firefly is full of mediocre Scfy channel actors(not all of the cast mind you) and the line delivery is often really dull.

As for souring the experience, Dantis went into it wanting to not like it. :p

S'all good though, different strokes for different folks.

If you're referring to the dialogue then you are objectively wrong.

Says the guy that slammed Breaking Bad's writing! (Which you where objectively wrong about by the way)

Dantis

Says the guy that slammed Breaking Bad's writing! (Which you where objectively wrong about by the way)

I didn't slam Breaking Bad's writing, you plonker.

And I didn't say I hated Bebop.

omgsodumb.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I meant the conversation is dumb, not you. Don't want you jumping the gun on this too! HUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUE

Meia

2301289-nanako_no_fighting_.jpg

Like the idea of Stupei or Moronji names though. :p

Oh snap I was beaten, and by a bigger version! Will leave it in for wall of Nanako though. :D

Lunar15

It's just banter. Not every disagreement is a fight.

Also, that weird persona knock-off OT on the main page is weirding me out. I just want P5, dang it.

Dantis

It's just banter. Not every disagreement is a fight.

Also, that weird persona knock-off OT on the main page is weirding me out. I just want P5, dang it.

I love how the cover is literally P3MC, and then his hair is different in the actual game.

Also, Wii U failing is making me think that the chances of P5 on Wii U just got even lower.

You know, like, less than zero.

We're only joking about. Plonker is very much a non-insult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom