• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daimaou

Yeah, it kinda sucks that P2 has not had its due, at least a little bit. It has some fantastic characters and a great story that matches P3 and P4's, yet it's fully obvious that the P-Team would rather sweep it under a rug in favor of P3 and everything that comes after it.

And indeed, there must be something more to it that we don't know about. Like, some internal politics involved that make it so P1 and P2 shouldn't really be acknowledged.

I'd wager it's an issue of respect as Buddha said. Hashino not wanting to mess with character he didn't have anything to do with, or something like that. If it was something more nefarious we wouldn't have gotten the PSP remakes, unless it's because they weren't happy with how those performed.

Rnr1224

all of this excitement around persona has inspired me to play P3P till the end! coming from P4G, its not as polished and some of the mechanics are different but im enjoying the darker story so far.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I keep thinking that Persona Q reminds me of Scooby Doo when I sound it out in my head. Maybe that was on purpose?

XkKSZPw.png

FluxWaveZ

I'd wager it's an issue of respect as Buddha said. Hashino not wanting to mess with character he didn't have anything to do with, or something like that. If it was something more nefarious we wouldn't have gotten the PSP remakes, unless it's because they weren't happy with how those performed.

That would make sense. Then again, they made a whole new EP scenario despite the fact that they were not involved with the original game. Maybe it's different when it comes to the game itself and depictions of those characters and the story outside the sole context of "P2 game."

Sophia

That would make sense. Then again, they made a whole new EP scenario despite the fact that they were not involved with the original game. Maybe it's different when it comes to the game itself and depictions of those characters and that story outside the sole context of "P2 game."

I think it has something to do with scenario/story writer Satomi Tadashi. He came back to write the new EP scenario, which is why it fits in so well with EP's story.

That would make sense. Then again, they made a whole new EP scenario despite the fact that they were not involved with the original game. Maybe it's different when it comes to the game itself and depictions of those characters and that story outside the sole context of "P2 game."

They got the original Persona 1/2 story guy, Satomi Tadashi, to come in and write that stuff though.

Caladrius

Edit, Ninja'd.

Persona 5 at least needs to let you use your full selection of casual clothes as costumes from the get go. I don't want to be stuck in two outfits that I can't choose the whole year.

That's just evil.

That wiggly logo looks like Scooby Doo.

cj_iwakura

Who does the writing on the current games? Hashino?

I think he's involved. Why don't they have Satomi Tadashi do it, I can only wonder.

Maybe he doesn't like the direction of P3/P4. I've always gathered that Kaneko doesn't dig it either, but he respects that Persona is for a different audience now.

Sophia

Who does the writing on the current games? Hashino?

Yuichiro Tanaka is current scenario writer for P3/P4. Akira Kawasaki was also credited for P4.

Yuichiro Tanaka also worked on Nocturne and Devil Survivor, although I do not know what roles. Akira Kawasaki worked on Persona 4 and Persona 4 Arena for Scenario.

I think he's involved. Why don't they have Satomi Tadashi do it, I can only wonder.

Maybe he doesn't like the direction of P3/P4. I've always gathered that Kaneko doesn't dig it either, but he respects that Persona is for a different audience now.

I never felt that Kaneko had any ill blood towards the current Persona series, just that he doesn't feel that his art fits the series, and didn't he hand pick Soejima to continue it?

Satomi Tadashi, dunno about him.

Kazzy

Don't usually listen to GB but may do so now.

It's probably the easiest podcast to listen to, in my experience. I find most (not just gaming) are filled with superfluous fluff, about inane things that don't relate to anything. Yes, GB is guilty of that, but those guys have a way of making that engaging. They have the personalities to carry it, rather than the "we're on the internet, lets talk exclusively through memes!" shtick that I've encountered elsewhere.

Also, Vinny and his podcast music. So good!

EDIT: Was really busy yesterday, forgot about uploading those videos. Sorry about that!

Daimaou

Tadashi was canned because of the Tadashi/Tamaki pairing. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

cj_iwakura

I never felt that Kaneko had any ill blood towards the current Persona series, just that he doesn't feel that his art fits the series, and didn't he hand pick Soejima to continue it?

Satomi Tadashi, dunno about him.

I wouldn't say ill blood, just that like you said, it doesn't suit his work any longer.

Also, it was his and Okada's baby. With Okada gone...

Why DID he leave Atlus anyway?

Tadashi was canned because of the Tadashi/Tamaki pairing. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Uh, what?

Okada left Atlus due to the original Nocturne's apparent failure, so I heard. Wasn't Maniax more popular in japan?

Atlus didn't care about the Tamaki thing, but some hardcore fans sure got PISSED back in the day, and Satomi Tadashi wrote his own character out of the game lol.

cj_iwakura

Maybe it's apocryphal, but supposedly he caught a lot of flack for hooking Tadashi up with Tamaki and ended up fired.

That's ridiculous. I find that almost impossible to believe.

Geez, were SMT If fans that hung up on their devil summoning waifu? The more things change...

Caladrius

There will be DLC for you.

Absolutely not.

...I'm going to get them and feel terrible for buying into it. -__-;

I wouldn't say ill blood, just that like you said, it doesn't suit his work any longer.

Also, it was his and Okada's baby. With Okada gone...

Why DID he leave Atlus anyway?

These discussions always leave more questions than answers. Game studios and development are a crazy mystery if there ever was one.

Sophia

Maybe it's apocryphal, but supposedly he caught a lot of flack for hooking Tadashi up with Tamaki and ended up fired.

I'm sure it's probably apocryphal. Lots of other members of Atlus staff have their own insert characters in P2.

(I was going to say this in my previous post, but I had to cut it off due to obtaining a pizza from the oven. :p)

Okada left Atlus due to the original Nocturne's apparent failure, so I heard. Wasn't Maniax more popular in japan?

Atlus didn't care about the Tamaki thing, but some hardcore fans sure got PISSED back in the day, and Satomi Tadashi wrote his own character out of the game lol.

Man, Okada sure made a mistake leaving. Espcially compared to what he did after.

Squire

Banned

That's ridiculous. I find that almost impossible to believe.

Geez, were SMT If fans that hung up on their devil summoning waifu? The more things change...

Is it so hard to believe? Your reply is so ironic, CJ. Didn't Tadashi create Tamaki? Then he puts himself in a relationship with her in his own fiction?

Might not be grounds for firing, but it's pretty damn creepy.

FluxWaveZ

I think it has something to do with scenario/story writer Satomi Tadashi. He came back to write the new EP scenario, which is why it fits in so well with EP's story.

They got the original Persona 1/2 story guy, Satomi Tadashi, to come in and write that stuff though.

Late to the reply, but then that totally explains it. It's kinda sad, but this explanation about respect makes it somewhat understandable.

Kinda like the situation with Igor's VA.

PK Gaming

how is Persona 2 compared to 3 and 4? ive only had experience with 3 and 4 so i want to know if ill enjoy it or not
It hits a lot of the same notes that makes P3/P4 great and the overall story is fantastic, but the gameplay is pretty bad.

Speaking of which, all of you dudes/dudettes that have played and beaten P2:IS... I think it might be best to watch an EP playthrough instead of playing through it. You don't miss out on much (besides the optional dialogue) and honestly at this point, it's understandable that nobody has the time or drive to power through EP. I'm saying this because EP's story is great, and nobody should miss out on it.

And I really want to talk about the story ;_;

IS's narrative is only a fraction of as great as EPs imo.

cj_iwakura

Man, Okada sure made a mistake leaving. Espcially compared to what he did after.

Nocturne was a failure? That saddens me, but Maniacs is definitely a more complete experience. I can't picture it without the Fiends.

He made Folklore, so there's that.

Daimaou

I'm sure it's probably apocryphal. Lots of other members of Atlus staff have their own insert characters in P2.

(I was going to say this in my previous post, but I had to cut it off due to obtaining a pizza from the oven. :p)

Not quite in the same way, they're mostly just random shopkeeper-type NPCs.

Anyhow, he's not at Atlus anymore. His last credited game was Folklore for the PS3. It seems he was credited on DDS1+2, but I don't know for what.

cj_iwakura

Not quite in the same way, they're mostly just random shopkeeper-type NPCs.

Anyhow, he's not at Atlus anymore. His last credited game was Folklore for the PS3. It seems he was credited on DDS1+2, but I don't know for what.

He was involved in the original scenario for DDS1, but it got made after he left, I think.

I bet Okada and Kaneko still get wasted together on weekends!

WfD8xEz.jpg

Sophia

Nocturne was a failure? That saddens me, but Maniacs is definitely a more complete experience. I can't picture it without the Fiends.

He made Folklore, so there's that.

I have no idea if he left over Nocturne, but it didn't do too hot in Japan initially. Which is incredible to think about given it's cult classic status outside of Japan.

As for Okada, he made a new company (Gaia) which made a few games, then closed. there's also Folklore for the PS3, which I haven't played so I can't comment on.

cj_iwakura

I have no idea if he left over Nocturne, but it didn't do too hot in Japan initially. Which is incredible to think about given it's cult classic status outside of Japan.

As for Okada, he made a new company (Gaia) which made a few games, then closed. there's also Folklore for the PS3, which I haven't played so I can't comment on.

Folklore is wonderful. You'd love it. It's the closest thing to a Changeling: The Lost RPG we'll probably ever get. It's got a deliciously somber occult/European vibe.

Sophia

Folklore is wonderful. You'd love it. It's the closest thing to a Changeling: The Lost RPG we'll probably ever get. It's got a deliciously somber occult/European vibe.

I'll check for it at my local rental place should I come across. I've heard good things, but I'm not too keen on spending money on yet ANOTHER game right now.

All this discussion makes me wish we had a book on Atlus. I know I said something before, but it's really amazing how much of the company is a mystery.

Where is Okada now?

King Fost

Neo Member
The story for DDS was changed somewhat after he left too. iirc, Gale didn't exist in the original draft, he was added in later; I was pretty surprised when I heard this considering how well he fits in the game's narrative, unlike some other megaten characters I know (coughKorocough).

So you're fine with it?

Man...

It is not a big deal. It was played up for laughs. He also has the dad character also named Satomi Tadashi, and the 5/6 Satomi Tadashi sisters. Also, Soejima, Kaneko, and... I think there was another one, were also characters in P2.

Sophia

It is not a big deal. It was played up for laughs. He also has the dad character also named Satomi Tadashi, and the 5/6 Satomi Tadashi sisters. Also, Soejima, Kaneko, and... I think there was another one, were also characters in P2.

Way more. The driver that hit Anna Yoshizaka in P2 is an Atlus employee if I recall correctly Daisuke Kaneda, the director of Etrian Odyssey 4 and Persona Q. The store owner of Seedy CD is Tasaki Toshiko.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, and Tamaki clearly wears the pants in that relationship. (Literally AND figuratively.)

Soejima's the bartender at Clair de Lune, Kaneko's the Demon Artist... not sure about anyone else.

Protag

Banned
It hits a lot of the same notes that makes P3/P4 great and the overall story is fantastic, but the gameplay is pretty bad.

Speaking of which, all of you dudes/dudettes that have played and beaten P2:IS... I think it might be best to watch an EP playthrough instead of playing through it. You don't miss out on much (besides the optional dialogue) and honestly at this point, it's understandable that nobody has the time or drive to power through EP. I'm saying this because EP's story is great, and nobody should miss out on it.

And I really want to talk about the story ;_;

IS's narrative is only a fraction of as great as EPs imo.

My man, EP punishments final act? Rivals P3's IMO. sure, the gameplay is dated, but the more i think back on the story, that more i love it. Wish it got a remake with overhauled mechanics.

Enemies on screen instead of random encounters ( the RE rate was oh my GOD annoying in IS.)

Make it so that the battles work similar to P3/P4.

keep the negotiating, but make it varied and less of a chore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom