• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonlight

Banned
22ExWFD.gif
Fucking hypnotizing.

Sophia

Man I just realized. The P4A sequel is really dark in the same vein as P3's main plot. If we didn't know part of the outcome thanks to P4G's epilogue, I'd say it'd be the darkest modern Persona yet.

LX_Theo

Banned
How big is the Japanese market for these games anyways? Or in comparison to the western audience?

For all the trailers from Sunday on youtube, its basically entirely English comments with a few stray Japanese comments despite it being a Japanese youtube channel with a Japanese title for the video game and everything.

cj_iwakura

Man I just realized. The P4A sequel is really dark in the same vein as P3's main plot. If we didn't know part of the outcome thanks to P4G's epilogue, I'd say it'd be the darkest modern Persona yet.

I think it ties into P5 somehow. The red fog. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but Atlus are very clever at laying foundations for things.

Sophia

How big is the Japanese market for these games anyways? Or in comparison to the western audience?

For all the trailers from Sunday on youtube, its basically entirely English comments with a few stray Japanese comments despite it being a Japanese youtube channel with a Japanese title for the video game and everything.

They average about 250,000 to 500,000 depending on game. Some installments do better, of course. P4A itself was one of the best selling fighting games in Japan for first week if I recall right?

Also remember YouTube is an English site. Japanese posters are probably more likely posting to Nico Nico.

I think it ties into P5 somehow. The red fog. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but Atlus are very clever at laying foundations for things.

Yeah they've done that virtually every installment.
P1 had its nods to P3, P2 foreshadowed both P3 and P4A, P3's ending needs no explanation, P4 foreshadowed P4A too...

kewlmyc

I doubt a fighting game spinoff will tie into the next game. Plus it'd be dissapointing if they went with the fog theme two games in a row.

Yeah they've done that virtually every installment.
P1 had its nods to P3, P2 foreshadowed both P3 and P4A, P3's ending needs no explanation, P4 foreshadowed P4A too...
Please explain. How did any of those games foreshadow the events of later games?

LX_Theo

Banned
They average about 250,000 to 500,000 depending on game. Some installments do better, of course. P4A itself was one of the best selling fighting games in Japan for first week if I recall right?

Also remember YouTube is an English site. Japanese posters are probably more likely posting to Nico Nico.
Fair enough. I was thinking about adding a question of whether there were simply other places they generally would talk about it instead. That answers it.

Sophia

I doubt a fighting game spinoff will tie into the next game. Plus it'd be dissapointing if they went with the fog theme two games in a row.

The fog (P4 END SPOILZ)
is more likely related to Izanami than it Persona 5. Remember how that was basically her gimmick in P4?

That said, I do expect some foreshadowing to P5 simply because Atlus has always done it.

Squire

Banned
Yeah, and Tamaki clearly wears the pants in that relationship. (Literally AND figuratively.)

Soejima's the bartender at Clair de Lune, Kaneko's the Demon Artist... not sure about anyone else.

I like how that song plays in the Velvet room. I recognized Kaneko.

kewlmyc

The fog (P4 END SPOILZ)
is more likely related to Izanami than it Persona 5. Remember how that was basically her gimmick in P4?

That said, I do expect some foreshadowing to P5 simply because Atlus has always done it.
Even if it relates to a certain character, the main purpose do the fog was to "shroud the truth". If the next theme is going to revolve around freedom, I don't think fog will fit the theme as much.

Sophia

Even if it relates to a certain character, the main purpose do the fog was to "shroud the truth". If the next theme is going to revolve around freedom, I don't think fog will fit the theme as much.

That's what I'm saying. The red fog is completely unrelated to P5. :p

Caladrius

It shrouds the path to freedom. BOOM!

Someone ate the chairs (who are the main characters) and the red fog is built-up gas that's obstructing the way out.

Also the fog is red because the person who ate the chairs has internal bleeding from the screws that they ate so that they could take the chairs apart and swallow them.

Stark

Banned

Yeah. Probably my most looked forward to as well since it'll be finishing the Arena/Post-P3/4 plot.

kewlmyc

That's what I'm saying. The red fog is completely unrelated to P5. :p
Sorry, I misread your post.

Earlier you said that previous games foreshadow the events of future games. I haven't played P1-2 yet, so do you have examples? Like how did P4 foreshadow the P-1 Grand Prix at all?
Anyone planning to get the Persona 4 Arena: Official Design Works by Udon? They have a 12pg preview up:

http://www.udonentertainment.com/blog/udon/persona-4-arena-official-design-works-in-stores-today/
Yeah, I'm getting it. Gotta complete the collection.

Stark

Banned
Was planning to, but then I won mine in the GAF P4A tournament. That thing's been delayed so much, but I guess it's finally out now, huh.

Nice. I notice this trend with Udon releases lol. Well, at least one's I've wanted.

I still need to get P4's. P3's interviews in the book changed my perspective on the game.

cj_iwakura

How much of the art is Soejima's? Not much I assume. I didn't dislike Arena's art, but it was nothing mind blowing either.

Growlanser Design Works, that I bought so fast it made Urushihara's head spin.

cjkeats

I was in Chapters tonight and the machine said they would have it December 20th. Probably a placeholder date, as they'll just have it whenever it comes out.

Sophia

Sorry, I misread your post.

Earlier you said that previous games foreshadow the events of future games. I haven't played P1-2 yet, so do you have examples? Like how did P4 foreshadow the P-1 Grand Prix at all?

Warning: every spoiler for every game ever coming up

Persona 1 foreshadowed Persona 3's plot with Tartarus, The Fall, Apathy Syndrome, and Nyx. Apathy Syndrome wasn't mentioned by name however. It also foreshadowed Persona 2 in the SEBEC route with Nyarly. Persona 2 had the artificial human research (Nanjo's route) as well as the Tatsuya Scenario (EPP.) Nyarly also says he'll be back at the end of EP. Persona 3's ending needs no explanation. Persona 4 has Naoto mention the midnight channel world still existed, and Yosuke offering to all meet up for Golden week when P4A and P4A2 take place.

Caladrius

Warning: every spoiler for every game ever coming up

Persona 1 foreshadowed Persona 3's plot with Tartarus, The Fall, Apathy Syndrome, and Nyx. Apathy Syndrome wasn't mentioned by name however. Persona 2 had the artificial human research (Nanjo's route) as well as the Tatsuya Scenario (EPP.) Nyarly also says he'll be back at the end of EP. Persona 3's ending needs no explanation. Persona 4 has Naoto mention the midnight channel world still existed, and Yosuke offering to all meet up for Golden week when P4A and P4A2 take place.

I wouldn't say that Persona
1 and 2
foreshadowed Persona
so much as elements of their plots were used as the basis for Persona
's plot. It'd be more accurate to say that the plot elements were built on to help it be more contiguous with the other games.

EDIT: Fixed the spoiler goofs, smartypants.

Sophia

I wouldn't say that Persona
foreshadowed P
so much as elements of its plot were used as the basis for P
's plot, and to give it some connection to the older games.

They most likely intended to use it for future plotlines, like they did the other elements in P1. Also, it's pretty obvious which games you're referring to there. :p

EDIT: Fixed the spoiler goofs, smartypants.

Well I was actually more poking fun at the fact spoilers really aren't needed. I only spoiled all of my post to be lazy. >_>;

FluxWaveZ

Considered it for a moment, but I'm pretty sure I won't wake up at 5 AM EST for the P4A2 live stream that may or may not be fulfilling.

Still not convinced that P4A2 has anything to do with P5, especially because of their emphasis on how "it all ends here." At least we should get a few more story tidbits once it's released in arcades tomorrow.

Caladrius

They most likely intended to use it for future plotlines, like they did the other elements in the thingybobber.

Fair enough. I don't know enough about that installment to argue the details any further unfortunately, (I own it for some reason and yet refuse to play it. I'm stupid like that.)

Well I was actually more poking fun at the fact spoilers really aren't needed. I only spoiled all of my post to be lazy. >_>;

I dunno about that, there's an awful lot you can pick up from context.

Anyone planning to get the Persona 4 Arena: Official Design Works by Udon? They have a 12pg preview up:

http://www.udonentertainment.com/blog/udon/persona-4-arena-official-design-works-in-stores-today/

Glad it's finally coming out, I ordered my copy months ago for my birthday. I love reading through the P3 and P4 books, especially the interviews with the creators... Reading about how they decided on the themes and design elements is really interesting. You can tell these guys are truly invested in the franchise.

Stark

Banned
Glad it's finally coming out, I ordered my copy months ago for my birthday. I love reading through the P3 and P4 books, especially the interviews with the creators... Reading about how they decided on the themes and design elements is really interesting. You can tell these guys are truly invested in the franchise.

Yeah, exactly. It only made me appreciate P3 more, so I'm excited to see what they have to say for Arena.

Jintor

Udon has taught me that I best buy their artbooks as soon as they're on shelves rather than waiting, because the limited print runs only ever drive the price up. Way, way, up.

Stupid Art of Phoenix Wright

Sophia

What retcons are you referring to?

He's talking about something I mentioned in chat regarding the year Persona 3 took place. The game states it as 2009-2010, but P4A states it as 2010-2011. However I don't think P4A was first to make that retcon, because I recall seeing it elsewhere in some P3 related mateiral....

Other details, such as the year Aigis was made/activated changed too. 1999 in P3, 2000 in P4A.

FluxWaveZ

Udon has taught me that I best buy their artbooks as soon as they're on shelves rather than waiting, because the limited print runs only ever drive the price up. Way, way, up.

Stupid Art of Phoenix Wright

Checking on Amazon now... $200-250 for the OG art book, huh. Sounds about right.

Hopefully AA5's will be localized.

He's talking about something I mentioned in chat regarding the year Persona 3 took place. The game states it as 2009-2010, but P4A states it as 2010-2011. However I don't think P4A was first to make that retcon, because I recall seeing it elsewhere in some P3 related mateiral....

Other details, such as the year Aigis was made/activated changed too. 1999 in P3, 2000 in P4A.

Oh right, I remember those weird differences. They aren't really big retcons, though, so I'm not bothered by them.

Sophia

...those are really specific retcons. I'm not entirely sure what the point was.

I think they pushed certain things up a year so that the backstory wouldn't interfere with the plot of P2? Dunno for sure. I know I saw some pre P4A material make that retcon too....

Those retcons arent a big deal, like I said they are just silly.

I haven't seen the P2IS character renders at this size before, am I the only one or are these really the biggest?

b1vv.jpg

gmyk.jpg

zzk6.jpg

tytn.jpg

0lp6.jpg

f7ai.jpg

1d6g.jpg

re0o.jpg

Obviously some are missing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom