• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose that technically, his design is great, because it's drawn 'wrong', which makes him look like a complete moron and therefore easy to dislike. I really dislike it though, haha.

Oh c'mon how can anyone resist this sweet face?

P4-Adachi.jpg

BIG P4 spoilers

Adachi was probably my favorite character (before he "became" the villain.) As a villain he was 2-dimensional and unbelievable to say the least, but this all changes once you do his social link in golden (one of the best in the series.) In his social link, it really takes you to his psyche, and you can actually believe that this nice, happy-go-lucky, incompetent detective does actually have some problems, and he could conceivably be the villain. The true measure of a good villain is his or her believable-ness, and for those of you who have done his social link, I'm sure you know somebody like him.

As for his design, I'm not an art student or anything, but I don't see anything particularly different in his design from any other character, and I really don't agree with it making him look like a moron. To me it makes him look like a nice relatable everyman (emphasis on the nice) to be a foil against Dojima's hardboiled detective look. And in any case what does design have to do with the quality of the character? I mean, I know its a factor, I would never play a game like this:
just because I can't stand its style/design, but that also means that I'm can't to judge their characters. Quality of characters is correlative with writing, not art.

Well new comers further be deterred to visiting here... especially if they haven't played P4.

Ideally, if they haven't played P4, they shouldn't be lurking the community thread :c

I wonder if we'll have more VA changes for the upcoming games, especially PQ. That's a lot of people to rehire, all with different schedules.

I haven't played much of the EO games, but are they even voiced?

FluxWaveZ

I wonder if we'll have more VA changes for the upcoming games, especially PQ. That's a lot of people to rehire, all with different schedules.

I think the fact that all of them were present during the reveal countdown pretty much says there won't be any changes for major characters, at least for the Japanese VAs.

I think the fact that all of them were present during the reveal countdown pretty much says there won't be any changes for major characters, at least for the Japanese VAs.

Yeah, I was talking about over here, since we've had changes with P4G.

I could care less about changes to the Japanese VAs since that wouldn't affect me haha.

Well new comers further be deterred to visiting here... especially if they haven't played P4.

New comers should just come in here to post any questions about the game and not read anything else, Like I did.

Played both games spoiler free and that was the best experience. Thankfully Persona spoilers haven't invaded mainstream gaming.

New comers should just come in here to post any questions about the game and not read anything else, Like I did.

Played both games spoiler free and that was the best experience. Thankfully Persona spoilers haven't invaded mainstream gaming.

I was spoiled on who the killer was but I wasn't spoiled on
who the gas attendant is.
Still really enjoyed the game, but no clue what it was like for those who weren't spoiled :c

Squire

Banned
I just think that you can still like a villain, even if he is diabolical. You can hate and like a villain at the same time ya know.

Yeah, that's true. I say it all the time.

I dunno, the Adachi fandom irks me. Like the way the trend of Naoto/Rise shipping art irks some people.

Shouldn't have said anything. Sorry all.

Stark

Banned
Yeah, SEGA go. My guess is because they publish a few Jump games.

Yeah, I think you have to have ties to JUMP like Square Enix does. Then they just show other stuff.

I guess you can do that. Though it would be less risky looking up am external guide, no?

Lunar15

Yeah, I have no idea where the Adachi fanbase comes from. Especially since most of the fan art is of him
AFTER he goes off the deep-end.
Not really sure what's so loveable about that!

But hey, beaches and smores!

FluxWaveZ

Anyone up for P4A tonight? Feels like it's been a while since I've played with anyone from here.

Do you usually play Ranked or Player matches? How's the online activity?

Probably going to start training with all of the characters soon after clearing Challenge Mode since P4A2 launches to prepare for maining random.

PK Gaming

I'm surprised that some of you guys despise Adachi. It's perfectly valid to do so but... it strikes me as weird.

He ranks up there as one of my favorite Persona characters; he is literally the
perfect foil to the main protagonist and one of the more interesting villains
in video gaming imo. Persona 4's
endgame wouldn't have been nearly as great without Adachi.

Do you usually play Ranked or Player matches? How's the online activity?

Probably going to start training with all of the characters soon after clearing Challenge Mode since P4A2 launches to prepare for maining random.

I play both, Ranked when I'm on my own, and Lobby matches when we all decide to play in the irc. Normally, me Bruce, CrazyTank, Buddha, Lem, Sophia, Dantis played one time.

I just jumped straight into online matches, I lose most of them but I'm having fun :3

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, I have no idea where the Adachi fanbase comes from. Especially since most of the fan is of him AFTER he goes off the deep-end. Not really sure what's so loveable about that!

But hey, beaches and smores!

If there's any "Adachi fandom", what I usually see is that weird combination with him and lettuce.

What I love about Adachi (and any other villain whose motives aren't meant to be just) is his deranged nature. Same reason I love Shadows and anything else.

Something doesn't have to be "cute" or "loveable" to be liked (in my case, that usually has the opposite effect).

I play both, Ranked when I'm on my own, and Lobby matches when we all decide to play in the irc. Normally, me Bruce, CrazyTank, Buddha, Lem, Sophia, Dantis played one time.

I just jumped straight into online matches, I lose most of them but I'm having fun :3

I see, cool. Might try to play some more Ranked matches again just so I can try to be promoted to Master. There might be an influx of players after P4A2 launches.

Lunar15

If there's any "Adachi fandom", what I usually see is that weird combination with him and lettuce.

What I love about Adachi (and any other villain whose motives aren't meant to be just) is his deranged nature. Same reason I love Shadows and anything else.

Something doesn't have to be "cute" or "loveable" to be liked (in my case, that usually has the opposite effect).

There's a pretty huge adachi fandom. I think it's more Japanese than western. Adachi consistently ranks high on popularity polls.

Squire

Banned
I'm surprised that some of you guys despise Adachi. It's perfectly valid to do so but... it strikes me as weird.

He ranks up there as one of my favorite Persona characters;
he is literally the perfect foil to the main protagonist and one of the more interesting villains in video gaming imo. Persona 4's endgame wouldn't have been nearly as great without Adachi.

Huh? I don't despise him, myself. He's a great villain and quite effective as you mention.

Completely reasonable.

FluxWaveZ

There's a pretty huge adachi fandom. I think it's more Japanese than western. Adachi consistently ranks high on popularity polls.

Oh yeah, I'm not denying that. I guess I've just been more exposed to the silly Dojima/Adachi and him with a lettuce fanart than the ones where
he goes off the deep end.

If the latter is what people have come to like the most, then that's pretty awesome.

Edit: Oh right, it's cabbage.

Taruranto

Adachi fandom is mostly fanwank. He's popular because of the cabbage joke and that famous doujin face, which tells you a lot about his character.

Anyone up for P4A tonight? Feels like it's been a while since I've played with anyone from here.

Where is this shipping art you speak of? I may or may not be interested.

Sure, I just bought the PS3 version yesterday due to the PSN Atlas sale (used to have the 360 version)

Anyone can add my PSN name: Spectrasonic

Caladrius

The Rise/Naoto thing has to do with their voice actors, who tend to do that whole "friendly flirting" thing, if I've what I've heard is right.

I see, cool. Might try to play some more Ranked matches again just so I can try to be promoted to Master. There might be an influx of players after P4A2 launches.

Master :c

I'm still hanging out with the rank E's . . .

But the online has been active, even before the announcement. Never waited too long for a game.

Sure, I just bought the PS3 version yesterday due to the PSN Atlas sale (used to have the 360 version)

Anyone can add my PSN name: Spectrasonic

Awesome, I'll add you when I finish work. And I done the same thing, bought the 360 version last year just for the Vinyl. Never played the game till recently when I re-bought it for PS3.

PK Gaming

3 & 4 spoilers: If only
Ikutsuki wasn't killed off so quickly, He had the potential to be a way better villain than Adachi.
He was nothing more than a Saturday morning cartoon villain. If they had actually developed him, it would be a different story, but his defection comes way out of left field, and the game quickly forgets about him, despite being the catalyst to the main plot.

Squire

Banned
PK and Ron need to spoiler tag their posts.

COME ON GUYS.

My bad. Fixed.

I heard he was popular on 4chan when it came to relationships and stuff, for obvious reasons.

See, that's the type of thing I'm referring to. Gives me the creeps.

The Rise/Naoto thing has to do with their voice actors, who tend to do that whole "friendly flirting" thing, if I've what I've heard is right.

Oh, it's a VA joke. Should've guessed.

FluxWaveZ

Master :c

I'm still hanging out with the rank E's . . .

But the online has been active, even before the announcement. Never waited too long for a game.

Good that the activity remained consistent, then. I recall not having much trouble finding a Player Match except for when BB:CP had just come out. Pretty much gave up playing Ranked because people there were always S+ rank and lower, which means I couldn't be promoted as an SSS rank.

The PSR system and rank system aren't too good. That's something I hope they fix in P4A2.

Soriku

See, that's the type of thing I'm referring to. Gives me the creeps.

There's a certain segment of his fanbase which likes him
for creepy reasons
for sure. But another big part of his fanbase just comes from the cabbage thing, and also just because
he's a fun diabolical character. Creepy to be sure but that's part of the charm. Which is why I like him...he has some sick lines too.

He's an interesting character to be sure lol.

Squire

Banned
There's a certain segment of his fanbase which likes him
for creepy reasons
for sure. But another big part of his fanbase just comes from the cabbage thing, and also just because
he's a fun diabolical character. Creepy to be sure but that's part of the charm. Which is why I like him...he has some sick lines too.

Right. And that's fair. That was a generalization on my part when I was actually getting at something more specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom