• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT3| Your thread title sucks, Yukiko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't attribute Eternal Punishment's poor sales to Maya being the main protagonist when it had a host of special circumstances that led it to flopping (Such as: Series fatigue, having an all-adult case, being released on the same that day as the My little sister game, being a port of a 10 year old game that was released in 2011.)

The PS1 version actually did decently, or so i've been told.

And this is a different situation. Maya is a pre-existing character of an old game. The theoretical FeMC would be the lead of one of the most anticipated games of 2014.

[PSX] Persona (Atlus) {1996.09.20} - 201.147 / 391.556

[PSX] Persona 2: Innocent Sin (Atlus) {1999.06.24} - 170.577 / 274.798

[PSX] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (Atlus) {2000.06.29} - 119.484 / 200.103

Moonlight

Banned
It actually is what I expect and hope for P5.

And I don't think anyone suggested that it would be effortless. It would not, obviously. Just that it would require much less work than some people are suggesting (making it sound outright like they'll have to make two different games) and there's precedent to suggest across almost every single Persona title that they're absolutely not afraid of writing content that many people won't see in its' entirety on their first run.

I dunno, while I DO want a male and female mc, I am under the belief that one should make what they want to make, and not try to please everyone all the time. If they want to appeal to more demographics by their own volition, that is all well and good.

Squire

Banned
It's not. I want their to be two different protags, but I can fully understand the financial side of the argument. You seem to be underplaying the financial side of this.

Honestly, I think it's more that a few people who I assume don't have much perspective with regards to logistics and costs of development are arguing the opposite. (People certainly have in threads outside this one, anyway.)

Nothing is free as Dai fairly notes, but Moonlight is also correct; What we're discussing here wouldn't be terribly expensive.

Daimaou

I dunno, while I DO want a male and female mc, I am under the belief that one should make what they want to make, and not try to please everyone all the time. If they want to appeal to more demographics by their own volition, that is all well and good.

"Write to please just one person. If you open a window and make love to the world, so to speak, your story will get pneumonia." - Kurt Vonnegut

Lunar15

I don't see the cause for such a big fuss when it comes to having a gender option in Persona 5. It seems more like people are fussing about wanting a female protagonist. If people care so much, make the protagonist female. Don't write two totally different characters. That just takes resources away from producing content for the game as a whole.

I agree with this. The unfortunate part is that they'll never do just a female character for a game like this, hence why people want the option.

Lunar15

That was my initial question. Why exactly would they never do it?

If they stick with the dating game mechanic, there's no way they'd make it without a male protagonist. It's a predominately male audience. You and I might be fine with playing as a female, but I'm sure a decent portion of the male base would be turned off if they knew all they'd be trying to woo was dudes.

Squire

Banned
If they stick with the dating game mechanic, there's no way they'd make it without a male protagonist. It's a predominately male audience. You and I might be fine with playing as a female, but I'm sure a decent portion of the male base would be turned off if they knew all they'd be trying to woo was dudes.

Huh, I guess that's true. We (as in everyone ITT) knows S. Links are more than just dating, but I guess that's a significant portion of their cash flow.

Dantis

For what it's worth, if it was a female MC, my character would stay eternally single. Though that wouldn't affect my opinion on anything, of course.

I don't care about the light dating sim elements. If I wanted I flirt with women, I'd talk to my girlfriend... Maybe I just don't get it.

I don't even consider it a dating mechanic, I hate when its called that, its a social mechanic, the "dating" is only like a tiny part of it, only for certain links, and only for the last 2 or so levels as it is.

Squire

Banned
I don't even consider it a dating mechanic, I hate when its called that, its a social mechanic, the "dating" is only like a tiny part of it, only for certain links, and only for the last 2 or so levels as it is.

It's like you read my mind
or my posts

Dantis

Yup. It's a bit like Fire Emblem, where people latch onto it despite its insignificance.

I do not like to play these games as "wish fulfillment", I like playing these games for the characters and story, and play the MC as a character in that story, not as myself. That is just me of course.

Stark

Banned

That's pretty much what it is. Scenes attached to make it more interesting.

Stark

Banned
Hey, Cordelia's mine and you can all back off!

I do not like to play these games as "wish fulfillment", I like playing these games for the characters and story, and play the MC as a character in that story, not as myself. That is just me of course.

I'm a bit strange in this. I view it as playing my self in some ways, but at the same time playing it for the characters and going through his/her story.

Nachos

While I agree that we're likely both overestimating and underestimating just how intensive implementing a female protagonist would be, I just remembered that the specific themes of P5 might make things even more complicated. As much as I would dislike things to be so oversimplified and defining, the mere characteristic of being a girl could potentially alter how the main character deals with the themes of the game, in terms of personal issues and trials to be overcome.

I think one of the biggest problems right now is that we know next to nothing about the game, save for the fact that it exists. There are so many ways that Atlus could have prioritized its development budget that we don't know how much of a butterfly effect the slightest changes might have om how much additional money might need to be poured in. It could very well be like SMT4 where 90-95% of the game is voiced, but it could also be significantly less. There could be hand-drawn cutscenes, just as there could be none at all. At this point, they obviously needed to have sat down and decided what they would need to prioritize and what could be excluded while still making a quality game. I just hope that whatever they chose, their individual characterizations and treatment of particular issues aren't handled so deftly.

Oh and Inorigio, did you consider how much of a difference how voice acting is treated between America and Japan could affect things? It definitely seems that very few roles have enough staying power and viability to sustain one's well-being, but also remember that voice actors aren't being the only ones paid here. Between just the basic components like booking recording studios and working with booking agencies, there is still quite a bit of money being passed around (arguably a disproportionate amount going more towards the auxiliary services, but whatever). Plus, even though the presence in popular culture between the two isn't all that drastic, voice acting is considered a much more respectable profession over there, so that alone could alter the perception of how much is put into each individual piece of work. Unless anyone specifically interviews a seiyuu over there, I don't think any of us have any idea how much even the smallest changes in idiosyncrasies could affect how even rudimentary things like basic workflow could alter.

I'm a bit strange in this. I view it as playing my self in some ways, but at the same time playing it for the characters and going through his/her story.

I think the issue with this when talking about the Persona series is that the main characters are a bit too much of a blank slate to not insert oneself into the story. Concerning female protagonists and romance options, I would much prefer a female progtagonist, since I wouldn't feel such a tendency to self-insert into the story, making them less awkward.

Theoretically speaking if they add a FEMC option: There are tons of lines in P3P where the characters refer to the FEMC as 'her'. How Mass Effect got around this was by everyone referring you by Sheperd most of the time, so your gender doesn't get confused. So they will either have to take that option or re-record lines.

Lunar15

I don't care about the light dating sim elements. If I wanted I flirt with women, I'd talk to my girlfriend... Maybe I just don't get it.

It's like you read my mind
or my posts

I agree with all of these. I've never thought much of the dating portion of the game, and I agree that it's fairly arbitrary in the grand scheme of the game's mechanics.

But at the end of the day, it is a game where you can, in fact, have girlfriends, and therefore they're going to be afraid of scaring off the majority of the fan base. I mean, this is the company that adamantly said "No Girl MC's in MegaTen", when working on SMTIV. The directors and people working on the game might want to do it, but I think the company heads would shoot down a female-only idea.

But I could be totally wrong and just talking out of my ass. Personally, I'd be completely fine with a female lead being the only option.

Man, the wait for a console port of Ultimax is going to be agonizing...

Sucks that it isn't coming out before May, as well. Hopefully the turnaround time for localization will be as quick as the first Arena's :(

Squire

Banned
I always try to give responses the way I would IRL.

HeavenSmiley, I considered all of that. Again, voice work is relatively inexpensive. Atlus just brought back their entire main casts from P3/4 to voice numbers on a countdown, for instance.

But you're right in that we need more info . The first issue of the new run of Persona Magazine us out on the 5th. Should we expect that to leak early?

FluxWaveZ

Man, the wait for a console port of Ultimax is going to be agonizing...

Sucks that it isn't coming out before May, as well. Hopefully the turnaround time for localization will be as quick as the first Arena's :(

I'd expect it to be; a BB:CP situation + region lock would be devastating.

If we're to go by what happened last time, at least the English console release might be announced within a month or two. Right now, though, I'm having fun watching videos. I'd like the official website to actually become like P4A's soon, too, but maybe it won't ever be until the console release gets closer.

Yukari day 1 combos that some might not have seen.

HeavenSmiley, I considered all of that. Again, voice work is relatively inexpensive. Atlus just brought back their entire main casts from P3/4 to voice numbers on a countdown, for instance.

They didn't just bring them back for the countdown, They probably got them to voice the countdown during the voice acting sessions for Q and P4U.

Squire

Banned
I agree with all of these. I've never thought much of the dating portion of the game, and I agree that it's fairly arbitrary in the grand scheme of the game's mechanics.

But at the end of the day, it is a game where you can, in fact, have girlfriends, and therefore they're going to be afraid of scaring off the majority of the fan base. I mean, this is the company that adamantly said "No Girl MC's in MegaTen", when working on SMTIV. The directors and people working on the game might want to do it, but I think the company heads would shoot down a female-only idea.

But I could be totally wrong and just talking out of my ass. Personally, I'd be completely fine with a female lead being the only option.

Agreed. And I think everybody who loves Persona for real would be cool with it.

Teasing P5 info would be a great way to movie copies, wouldn't it?

Right? I'm really hoping there's concrete P5 info in the first issue, but if it was me, I probably would've told people to make sure they subscribe at the end of that teaser!

They didn't just bring them back for the countdown, They probably got them to voice the countdown during the voice acting sessions for Q and P4U.

That's an assumption, but if they were able to hire and pay them for the work, does it matter when they did so? Voice acting isn't expensive. That's the point.

Definitely my thought on the matter. I'd rather they make what they want to make/feel inspired to make than potentially shoehorn something in.

Nachos

Right. It definitely make a lot more business sense to tack on those additional lines while the actors are scheduled to do some takes anyway. To pull in so many actors for so little, even if it would hype up the fans, would be quite a bit of frivolous spending, making me think they've would've gone with something different, had there been no other alternatives.

Daimaou

I hope so. A friend argued that Persona Magazine isn't so big, but I feel something internal like that would be a lot better of a place to shoot-out exclusive info.

I think it's more likely that big reveals will happen in Famitsu or Dengeki, where the magazines get into more hands. The Persona magazine will probably expand on stuff from there.

Stark

Banned
I think it's more likely that big reveals will happen in Famitsu or Dengeki, where the magazines get into more hands. The Persona magazine will probably expand on stuff from there.

Yeah, that'll likely how it'll be. I wouldn't mind if they expand on things released this week for when this issue is out.

Moonlight

Banned
This is true, sadly. And it's why I insist on dual protagonists at all, because there's absolutely no other way we'd get a FeMC.

Think of the ranks of loaded fujoshi that would flock to the game, though!

I don't either, hence why I want a FeMC option at all. FeMC was so interesting to me because she took a life of her own that I couldn't directly identify with.

Dude, you can have her. Anna for life.

Theoretically speaking if they add a FEMC option: There are tons of lines in P3P where the characters refer to the FEMC as 'her'. How Mass Effect got around this was by everyone referring you by Sheperd most of the time, so your gender doesn't get confused. So they will either have to take that option or re-record lines.
There are tons of lines in P3P, P3, P3FES, P4, and P4G that aren't even voiced, or use a stock voice clip. Rerecording lines wouldn't be hard, either. You have any idea how much they 'rerecord' line deliveries in the first place?

QFT

Saying, Persona is a "dating sim" is like saying the Mass Effect series is a "dating sim" its just not scratching the surface, and honestly imo its pretty disrespectful for the developers of the game who spend months of their lives thinking philosophically about themes, designs, battle mechanics, and stories to simply call it a "dating sim."

as to the whole male MC and female MC discussion, I'm fine with both or either. I'm also fine if they're just character copies, or if they have their own distinct personalities AS LONG AS those personalities fit in with the game's overall theme and design. Also stop hating on Makoto guys :'( he deserves love too.

I don't get why some people cant identify or relate to characters of the opposite gender, GUESS WHO I RELATE TO...TAKE ONE GUESS....

Lets Positive Thinking yo.

PK Gaming

I don't either, hence why I want a FeMC option at all. FeMC was so interesting to me because she took a life of her own that I couldn't directly identify with.
Exactly! This is going to sound so lame, but playing through P3P the first time was honestly magical.The music, the s.links, the dialogue... even the silly pink interface. Everything was so atypical and unique, and I loved it every minute of it. I played Persona 4:Golden beforehand so the contrast between the 2 games hit me HARD. Instead of being besties with the guys, Yukari, Fuuka, etc were your best friends. I was fascinated by a lot of the Female x Female s.links because that kind of interaction was literally alien to me (it never happens in video games...). It's why I like Saori's S.link so much, and why Fuuka's S.link is half decent in the female story.

I really, really want them to pull it off in the next game somehow, either in P5s initial launch or via remake down the line. I just want it to happen!
Dude, you can have her. Anna for life.
YES Anna is amazing. But if you like her, and I like her...

Rp4Foe2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom